PDA

View Full Version : Tony Hawk's Proving Ground

Boris Magee
02-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Hey guys

I'm really bored and I have nothing to do that doesnt involve studying so I thought I'd let you know about my thoughts on THPG. This is for 360

I know what youre thinking, blah blah blah unrealistic crap stupid blah something like that.
Me too, I got it for really cheap and thought yeah, I used to be a huge fan of tony hawk games so why not.

Obviously now skate is my main game.
Anyway, i found it a LOT of fun to skate realistically in. This wont be like any other review you have read probably because i'll just focus on playing it realistically.

You can turn the hud off, speed down, and sim mode on, and it plays really well. Sim mode makes it so that you dont go 1 million miles per hour when you start to crouch or grind a rail. You can drop off a rail / ledge without ollieing by pressing the trigger. And nollies are fully functional, in addition to pushing. as in you can choose when you push, and how hard with manipulation of the agro kick feature. Stalling on lips is cool to, so noseblunts abound.

It features a skate-like camera, and a video editor which is pretty functional. Looking at the animations in slow mo isnt that great though so this isnt a game catered to making videos for me, but for just skating around.

The create-a-park feature is really fun and I have made some great set ups. A lack of session markers isnt even noticable in create a park because you can make it so you have fun objects to skate everywhere.

The city is pretty damn big, and is catered to realistic skating just as much as the normal thps playstyle. I guess they were going for authenticity so yeah.

Overall, for my 10 bucks, I have got a lot of value out of it. I was surprised at how many things you can do in skate, you can do in THPG. Huge city and not to mention create a park make it so that if you like playing it, you will be playing it for a while. sim mode and hud off and speed down make it surprisingly fun to play realistically, so yeah if its cheap and you want something different from skate give it a try.

thats all guys, peaeaeaeace

BeatChemist
02-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Hmmmmmm... I did not know you could turn that shit off in Proving Ground. Good to know. Might grab it if I see it in the used bin for $5-10! Thanks!

EternalRewind
02-10-2012, 03:57 PM
hell yeah!

http://skatefluckit.com/showthread.php?t=9124

Boris Magee
02-10-2012, 04:06 PM
sorry eternal, i had no idea that thread existed! hahaha just add me to the list of thpg fans then

it kind of sucks how no one has tried to make a video of it though

skatepreme
02-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Link me some realistic footy so I can see how it looks with all those settings on.
http://www.youtube.com/skatepreme

PoppySquidJr
02-10-2012, 07:22 PM
I would make an edit of THPG except I don't have a PVR. Anyway, I'm appreciative of THPG for realz dawg :V

Boris Magee
02-11-2012, 02:11 AM
@skatepreme : there arent any realistic videos on youtube for thpg that really show off what its like atm. if i can be bothered i MIGHT put together a montage of it showing it because a lot of people should play it. i dont have a pvr or capcard or anything though so it would have to be me filming the tv, but i have been able to get that good quality before. just take my word for it, its good. hahaha

Boris Magee
02-11-2012, 02:32 AM
or maybe put together a video showing whats possible and talking about how it is from the perspective of a fakeskater

eternalrewind's thread is pretty comprehensive though, theres still a few neat tricks i have found to make new tricks possible though