PDA

View Full Version : My 'I Am Alive' Review.

NotedDerk
03-10-2012, 08:23 PM
I just decided to make this for anyone who is interested in the game, but have yet to purchase it and feel, basically, 'on the fence' about buying it.

First off, the game isn't very long.
I wasn't expecting it to be a 40+ hour experience, as it is just an arcade game. I did beat it in a rather short time though, I don't want to tell you exactly how long it took me to beat it, because I feel that is it somewhat of a spoiler. There are two modes however, basically normal and hardcore and I played on normal and going to start the hardcore mode now, I forgot what the mode is called at the moment, I think it's 'survival.'

Secondly, the story was decent.
I would just like to state before I give my personal opinion about this game that I am absolutely obsessed with games that are based in a post apocalyptic era, fallout, stalker, fallen earth. The whole idea of scavenging in a wasteland of a ruined city or an open world of rubble just gives me unbelievable thrills. I doubt I would last even a day, given the situation became reality, haha. Back to the story part of this game, I got relatively into it, but like I said with the first paragraph, the game isn't long. Even if you managed to get really immersed into the story, it's over before you know it. That isn't to say that the game just ends abruptly and leaves your mind wondering and instantly enraged, although I will say I wasn't satisfied with how they ended it, I also understand why they did it, the way they did.

Thirdly, the gameplay is exciting!
Even though you get the feeling of repetitive climbing, again and again and again, it's fun each time you do it. It's not so complex that you have to do parkour maneuvers to get to certain checkpoints in the game, but you do have to think a little. I'm sure it will frustrate the 'casual gamer' more then enough times, but I liked every second of it. The fighting system is pretty good, but it could have used some improvements, for instance, when you get close to an enemy, you only have one option if they are intimidated by you, a 'struggle' execution, you have to push RT a few times and it's over. The required button to win the struggle never changes and it's easy to overcome your opponent and it's the same execution for every enemy. There are a few surprise attacks that you can do from front or behind your enemy, but it's the same execution every time, I found that to be very dull. The most fun I had with the game was using the bow that you will get in the game after you've played for a bit. It's almost like skyrim, in a sense, of trying to be stealthy and kill them before they even knew their friends were all on the ground, but you only get one arrow for the majority of the game. You have VERY LITTLE ammo to work with, but it works for the game, if you had over 100 arrows at your disposal, the game would be incredibly easy. You'll find yourself trying anything you can to not get even one hit on your character because you don't have the resources to heal yourself constantly, but they aren't so far apart that you'll completely ware yourself out just pushing to get to the next checkpoint.

Overall, if I would give it a rating out of 10, I would say an 8.5

It's definitely worth the purchase if you're a fan of apocalyptic games, like I am. The only parts that kept me from giving it a ten is the short story and repetitive combat, everything else about the game was fairly well done. It's the best looking arcade game i've ever played, but i'm sure a lot of you would beg to differ. I hope my review gave you a little insight of whether or not to purchase it. I know a majority of you wouldn't even give the site reviewers from IGN or gamespot a second thought because they're paid to make games sound better then they are, I wouldn't trust anything from them myself, I always check out the player review rating, if I even look. Feel free to add your input on the game, I'd love to hear what you guys think about it as well, although I hope all you guys don't hate it.

PoppySquidJr
03-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Interesting to say the least. I didn't look much into this game, but now I'll definitely be checking that out, sounds fun. How much does it cost?

NotedDerk
03-10-2012, 09:58 PM
It's 15 dollars, 1200 microsoft points, ps3 users have to wait til spring to try this out though, sadly.

Antwan
03-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Sony already has a ton of apocalypse survival games.. jerks..
I played the trial.. liked that.. I'll probably get it.
Tony Hawk HD, MGS HD, and maybe silent hill HD.

BeatChemist
03-13-2012, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the in depth review! I was thinking of buying this. I loved Fallout and the idea of climbing skyscrapers is just fun. I'll probably be buying this soon...