PDA

View Full Version : next gen a.k.a. goodbye used games...? (ps orbis/xbox durango)

fallingskyline
03-29-2012, 01:13 AM
What do you think of the anti-games-trade-functions they are thinking of implementing into the next gen of our beloved consoles?

PS4 (Orbis) (http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details) / Xbox720 (Durango) (http://kotaku.com/5879202/sources-the-next-xbox-will-play-blu+ray-may-not-play-used-games-and-will-introduce-kinect-2?popular=true)

PS please note, that them are just rumors and nothing is really confirmed, yet.

NotedDerk
03-29-2012, 01:26 AM
It's garbage,
just a desperate attempt for developers to suck more money out of each consumer, as if getting 60 bucks out of each unit wasn't enough.
They don't deserve any more then that, the product becomes your property after you've purchased it. It's like selling your car to another local and before you make the sale final, you have to verify with the manufacturer of the car to give them a percentage of the transaction, pure bullshit. I assume it also means that you can't even, say, take a game over to a friend's house to play with him/her or show him/her it.

Nothing positive can come from it.

fallingskyline
03-29-2012, 03:59 AM
you nail'd the point, i could live without trading in games, without a doubt, BUT there are plety of games which replay-value is slim to none. they don't even look good in a bookshelf or whatsoever. so what do with 'em when you can't resale them? throw them away?! that would be sheer eco-terrorism. the other point is, you wouldn't be able to take it to a friends house to play it there (maybe possible when you've got a stick with your profile with you. but you would need to leave your profile at your friends house for him to be able to play the game, which means you cannot play shit, since your profile isn't on your console (xbox, btw)...

derk, you cannot compare a used car with a used game. the car will have a little "damage" (kilometers, miles, and other factors that decrease the value) but a game doesn't the code on the disk or whatever medium it is on will not wear out when the disk has run its 1.00.000.000 rounds, perhaps the disk may have a few scratches, but that's it. the code on it has still the same value. and the "disk" is your property not the game, that's where the point is, you don't own the sw-source-code just because you've bought the game.

i guess, their complaints are somehow right, but its a self made problem since every month there are several games coming out, most of them with a huge development cost (where my guess is, that if the development did cost 1000000 marketing will take double of that amount), AND 90% or more are just ripoffs of cod, bf, etc. so you actually buy the same game over and over again (besides it has a differnt name, publisher, setting but the same gameplay as a million other games before) there goes the replay value...

who is to blame for this? the gamers, for being as stupid as lemmings and buy whatever shit is going to be released by sony, ms, nintendo, ea, activision and so on....

Seanne1986
03-29-2012, 05:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVwTn5A3XQ

unplannedman
03-29-2012, 05:46 AM
This is bullshit, besides, I'm not looking forward to spending another $400 on a fucking game console. I'll keep my OG Xbox and PS3, thank you very much.

BeatChemist
03-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Skate. made me buy an Xbox.

Skate 4 is the only thing that will make me buy a next gen console.

Seanne1986
03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
It doesn't really surprise me that much that they might go this direction. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

But I agree it's shit. I rather enjoy trading in my old games and get something newer every once in a while.. but I guess this is the direction we're heading in.
I don't understand what Micro$oft and $ony was thinking when they came up with this idea.. for example as he explains in the video that I linked. Did they completely forgot about the people that rent, lend games to friends, need to buy 2 copies of the same game in order to be able to play on 2 different console accounts, the list goes on. I don't mind evolution in video games at all.. but this direction is quite silly.

Demzilla
03-29-2012, 03:29 PM
what beatchemist said.

i dont even think a new gta could persuade me into a new console at this point.

i own one game...
s3...

Permy
03-29-2012, 03:53 PM
THEN GET FUCKING GOLD AND BE APART OF OUR FUCKING SKATE FUN YOU CUNT

and yeah I am only psyched on the next gen consoles because they will be amazing performance and graphic wise
as for the anti piracy shit, I don't think they'll be able to do that without some crazy backlash from gamers.

pawnluvguitarist
03-29-2012, 03:57 PM
bought the PS1 right after the PS2 came out
Bought the PS2 for it's version of THPS 3
Bought the PS3 the day THP8 came out

I'll def get the Ps4. But as usual for me with systems, not right when it comes out. Wait a year or whatever, the first price drop.

Probably wouldn't buy it until theres an NHL, skateboarding or GTA game

FullyFl4RED00
03-29-2012, 04:06 PM
....they are just taking unfair advantage of consumers at this point. Whatever though...I'm not buying either of them. I don't support their relentless desire for domination and money. To what end gentlemen? To what end?... I only play skate 3 anyways

Roccityroller
03-29-2012, 08:58 PM
bought the PS1 right after the PS2 came out
Bought the PS2 for it's version of THPS 3
Bought the PS3 the day THP8 came out

I'll def get the Ps4. But as usual for me with systems, not right when it comes out. Wait a year or whatever, the first price drop.

Probably wouldn't buy it until theres an NHL, skateboarding or GTA game

early estimates have the slated for late 2013... guarantee it coincides with a cod game (Novemberish)... wanna take bets that NHL 14 is on next gen?

Monk
04-01-2012, 05:02 PM
thats why i invested in a gaming PC to be able to play whatever i want for at least the next 5 years... after skate series died off i didnt see any reason to be on console anymore, considering skate was the only reason i bought my 360 anyways.

BeatChemist
04-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Your "gaming" pc will seem underpowered in 18 months.

PC Gaming is even worse for pushing hardware onto gamers by increasing required specs for new hot games.

Monk
04-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Your "gaming" pc will seem underpowered in 18 months.

PC Gaming is even worse for pushing hardware onto gamers by increasing required specs for new hot games.

maybe so, but im stilling running metro 2033 on ultra settings at 1080p at 70 fps; so i think i got a little bit longer than 18 months imo. :)

and find me a game that has more specs visual wise than metro 2033 besides witcher2 :D

the only thing ill have to change out on my rig the next 5 years is the vid card and the processor; everything else is golden; i dont think there is gonna be a 32 gb ram requirement for anything anytime soon lol

BeatChemist
04-03-2012, 01:36 PM
maybe so, but im stilling running metro 2033 on ultra settings at 1080p at 70 fps; so i think i got a little bit longer than 18 months imo. :)

and find me a game that has more specs visual wise than metro 2033 besides witcher2 :D

the only thing ill have to change out on my rig the next 5 years is the vid card and the processor; everything else is golden; i dont think there is gonna be a 32 gb ram requirement for anything anytime soon lol

never say never lol! But yeah seems like you got a shweet setup!!