PDA

View Full Version : Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD [Release Date and New DLC Info]

replicant
07-03-2012, 07:01 AM
Alrighty, for those interested THPSHD will be released on July 18th for $15/1200ms.
It is a mix of THPS 1 & 2 out of the box (so to speak).

Approximately 30-45 days after it's release will be a DLC for $5/400ms that will
add select THPS 3 levels (such as airport) to the game. Just thought I would update
people on the latest news.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/02/tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-gets-thps-3-content-as-dlc-for-5/

UPDATE: The DLC will also have the inclusion of the "Revert", but you can only use it
on the DLC levels as to preserve the integrity of the earlier levels.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/03/tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-thps-3-dlc-brings-back-the-revert/

pawnluvguitarist
07-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Still an automatic purchase for me, with or without a sim mode.

Glad there will be additional levels too, I liked the airport.

MarcoPoloUSN
07-03-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm definitely buying it. THPS gave me a warm feeling whenever I popped it in on PS1. Good times.
I've got a cap card so this is my chance to gain a lot of coverage from randoms looking up "Tony Hawk HD Video" on YouTube.

m.seven
07-03-2012, 11:32 AM
I've got a cap card so this is my chance to gain a lot of coverage from randoms looking up "Tony Hawk HD Video" on YouTube.

i like the way you think,Marco
i'm sure i'll buy it,it's Tony Hawk for pete's sake... we wouldn't be here right now without it

NotedDerk
07-03-2012, 12:38 PM
and thps3 dlc, damn dude, i'm stoked!

jesus, if they started adding content from every tony hawk game to this, just wow.

Ladd279
07-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Can't wait! Don't forget thps2 had a sim mode cheat :)

Dead_Head
07-10-2012, 03:26 PM
I was really excited for this until I saw gameplay footage. The original THPS had better looking skating then this does. Hopefully I can get over it and enjoy the game regardless. Just wish Skatestreet Ventura was in it from THPS2, always loved that level.

pawnluvguitarist
07-12-2012, 07:47 AM
re learned No Cigar and Superman this morning, getting pumped haha

Permy
07-12-2012, 09:13 AM
hooray for trials

pawnluvguitarist
07-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah, still pumped for THPS HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofOY_P0Xck8

NotedDerk
07-12-2012, 03:48 PM
I haven't read or heard anything involving create a skater, it's not a deal breaker for me buying it, but I'd love for it to be in there.

pawnluvguitarist
07-12-2012, 04:19 PM
I would just take a few small things to make it so much better, like having THPS 4 style grind exit buttons, sim mode and option to empty your stats. Still, expecting the worst hoping for the best

saunders420
07-13-2012, 04:55 AM
wait is a demo out for PS3 and Xbox?

replicant
07-13-2012, 07:11 AM
wait is a demo out for PS3 and Xbox?
The demo will be released on the 18th when the game goes Gold.

pawnluvguitarist
07-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Looks like its coming out later on the PS3, everywhere i've looked its saying release date TBA :(

new vid though

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2012/07/16/tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-launch-trailer

replicant
07-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Looks like its coming out later on the PS3, everywhere i've looked its saying release date TBA :(

new vid though

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2012/07/16/tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-launch-trailer
Hadn't heard about this, but I checked their FB page and it's been updated.
Xbox 360 will get it tomorrow and PS3/PC will get it "a few weeks later".
No dates or any other information given. Very strange indeed.

NotedDerk
07-18-2012, 03:15 AM
Testing out the demo in a minute, still downloading.
Read in one review that the controls are wack and don't respond correctly.
Others just complain about no local split-screen multiplayer, everything else is good.

replicant
07-18-2012, 04:06 AM
Testing out the demo in a minute, still downloading.
Read in one review that the controls are wack and don't respond correctly.
Others just complain about no local split-screen multiplayer, everything else is good.
I have the demo downloaded and it feels very odd. Mainly I think it is because I am
so used to playing Skate that the controls just feel "wrong". Been trying to buy it, but XBL
is currently down so I can't pick it up yet.

MarcoPoloUSN
07-18-2012, 05:04 AM
Played the demo and I'll put it like this...

Skate has revolutionized skateboarding in video games too much. Pro Skater HD feels like a short, nostalgic step back.
Playing it, I can remember what it feels like to hold the PS1 controllers in my hand. It's definitely a 15 dollar game.
It's a good "side" game. If I'm ever bored, stuck staring at my dashboard, I could play TH right quick.
But yeah, Skate is way ahead of THPS's time for me to enjoy it for an extended amount of time.

The only rational complaint I have for Pro Skater HD is...
You can only skate as pros, and there are so few of them.

I'm a fan of the main games of the Tony Hawk series, though.
This might be the last of the series. I'm going to be happy to purchase it when Xbox Live comes back.

NotedDerk
07-18-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty satisfied with the game as well, from what i've seen, still haven't bought it though.
The controls work fine, that review I read about them being unresponsive was a moron, he probably just wasn't familiar with the layout.
It's pretty dumb that you can't finish a run, at least, but I just ended up pushing back and doing quick retries after a minute.
The grinds can be a bit wacky at times, but it's not that distracting from simply enjoying the game.

I think the reviews that are giving this game a 8 out of 10 are pretty accurate, but then again, haven't seen the whole game.

EDIT: I forgot to mention one thing, the pop shuv and front shove animation look fucking ridiculous, haha.
NOBODY spreads their legs like they're doing a damn airwalk just to land a shuv it.

Ohmidineffect
07-18-2012, 03:23 PM
The demo doesn't make me wanna drop 15 dollars. I expected to be skating at ridiculous heights, but what in the actual fuck? I may as well have been skydiving. Maybe that's just the demo but shit I played for about 2 minutes and was not convinced. If anyone has any means of changing my mind I welcome your opinion because I really wanna see the game but fuck 15 dollars. I paid 5 dollars for pro skater 2x and I had a shit ton more levels create a park, multiplayer, and custom skaters.

NotedDerk
07-18-2012, 03:46 PM
I think 15 is a well-rounded price, sure it's missing quite a bit, all the create-a-_______, few levels, few characters.
Seven levels is still a good amount, truly, I wish there was more, probably like the rest of you, but seven isn't bad.
I think a batch of THPS3 levels isn't the only dlc that they will be thinking of adding either, so we can expect more and more levels, granted, it's dropping more bucks just to play them. They will be adding characters with each DLC as well, so far, all I've heard about is steve caballero.

My hope is that if this sells well enough, they'll consider developing a full on game, on disc, that includes aspects from each game in the series, excluding ride and shred, of course. It's a bit of stretch to assume that, i'm aware, but i'd like to support them by buying this game just on that alone.

Mage505
07-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Wait so is there customization or not? Is their a Sim Mode? I thought Xbox got it today.

MarcoPoloUSN
07-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Purchased it. My gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob4ni8DbQQ8

m.seven
07-18-2012, 07:29 PM
nice Marco,wasting no time for TH footy.lol
you can deff tell that you're trying to skate as realistically as the game'll allow,i'll have to try the demo when it hits PSN.

MarcoPoloUSN
07-18-2012, 07:34 PM
you can deff tell that you're trying to skate as realistically as the game'll allow.

LOL, I knowww right? hahaha

The reverts look siiick. That might be the most realistic part of the gameplay.

momadaddy
07-18-2012, 09:11 PM
after that all i can say is, THANK GOD FOR SKATE. it looks fun. like it was back in the day. i think i prefer skate though. might buy thps hd anyways i dunno. fingerflip airwalk should have been in skate. 1 foot smiths as well and crail slides

MarcoPoloUSN
07-18-2012, 09:21 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CIM3LUa0pcc/UAeLmaciWUI/AAAAAAAAAZk/wWnMsDDwVqw/s737/THPSHDVeniceBeach.png

Ladd279
07-18-2012, 10:52 PM
EDIT:

So, I bought it. I'm actually pretty happy with the purchase.

The levels are: Warehouse, School II, The Hangar, Mall, Venice Beach, Downhill Jam, and Marseille (unlocked in that order).

There is no character customization, however, you can use your Xbox Avatar... haha. You can add stats to the pros as if they were customizable and there is an option for style 1, 2, 3, etc.. but I haven't unlocked it yet. You can change boards, add tricks and customize controls for tricks.

I think it's worth 15 bucks if you like to play Tony Hawk at all. I'm having fun with it.

The soundtrack is bringing back all kinds of nostalgia.

Can you take away stats?

Boxerman08
07-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Got it today, and I'm kinda bummed on it, feels awkward to a certain extent, probably because I am so used to playing Skate.. I still somewhat enjoyed playing the game though, played School 2 for a while this morning, tried to go over that wall to skate the Carlsbad grass gap but never got to do so haha

most of the trick animations looked weird as fuck too, especially the shuvs... and when I tried fakie/nollie inward heels, for some reason it seems like it would pop the nollie and flip a regular inward heel haha I might not see the trick animation incorrectly, but it looks odd...

Dead_Head
07-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Can you take away stats?

Pretty sure you cannot lower them lower then the base stats for each character. That was always my go to in the THPS games, turn the stats all the way down and turn auto kick off as well as turning off the HUD.

The game is pretty fun so far, thought there would be more levels though, but I guess with todays games you only buy 50% of a game and the rest is all DLC. It just sucks that The Warehouse, School 2 and the Hangar have been in so many THPSs after there original apperances already its not a HUGE wow factor to play them again. Also, ome of the animations are good, but as said in the thread before, the shoves look RETARDED. The nostalgia factor is pretty nice, didn't think I'd be having so much fun playing the old levels (I own all the Original Tony Hawk games up to Project 8), the soundtrack is also a great addition to the nostalgia factor as well. Any info on what the DLC levels will be? I saw School 1 in some screen shots, I really hope skater island from THPS3 is included, as well as skatestreet from THPS2.

bohemian
07-19-2012, 12:49 AM
played it for approx two minutes, and started to cry a little inside. went back to trials evo.

replicant
07-19-2012, 02:21 AM
My mini review is as follows:
Demo - Absolute shit and not even worth downloading.
$15 Game - Worth the money imo. The full game is smoother feeling then the demo (no idea why).
It really kicks into the nostalgia factor from gameplay to music. The complaints about controls I
don't really get. I actually hooked up my Xbox and played THPS2X today to compare. They feel
pretty damn similar overall. My only complaint is the collision on falls has caused me to fall through
a lot of textures into nothing until I reset. Overall, I feel it is worth the price of admission and will
buy the September $5 DLC as well.

fallingskyline
07-19-2012, 02:48 AM
played it for approx two minutes, and started to cry a little inside. went back to skate.

i don't wanna do (A), left + (X) and left + (Y) for a kicklflip bsts when i just can flickit...

Cerebus_
07-19-2012, 03:17 AM
Video

Nice video Marco, I wonder if you can turn down the voice volume in the game? Sounds like he's beating someone up in some old kung-fu movie when he lands tricks.

mamba12
07-19-2012, 08:01 AM
bought it and played for like 2 hours last night. i've spent 15 bucks on a lot stupider stuff. Like even if i never played it again, the time i spent last night is still the same as going to a 3d movie.

besides, this brings back a lot of good memories trying to stay up til dawn eating cheetos and drinking mountain dew.

i wish there were more/different levels. honestly the warehouse is so fucking classic, but after a few runs it's just not that cool of a level. and the hangar is like the warehouse part 2. would've rather had minneapolis, new york, philly, or san fran. more outdoors

bengrover
07-19-2012, 08:18 AM
stay up til dawn eating cheetos and drinking mountain dew.

Would pay 15 just for this.

pawnluvguitarist
07-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Bummed that PS3 still has to wait for this.

I played THPS2 for a bit, not as floaty as i remember it, the sim mode made some flatground tricks impossible but gave a nice feel to the game.

SpadedOne
07-19-2012, 08:52 AM
I downloaded the demo. I set the controller down before the end of my first run. The nostalgia just did not hold up for me. The new graphics just aren't that big of a deal. Skate just ruined the TH franchise. No couch co-op is a stupid ass decision. No customizing anything but pro stats? seriously? Oh, and they are going to make you pay extra for game mechanics with the TH3 DLC. I see too many things wrong with this game. The only good thing that I got out of the demo was the knowledge that I still have a PS1 and a copy of Thrasher: Skate and destroy. I ended up playing Thrasher for 3 hours last night. Thrasher: Skate and Destroy > Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD.

sk8goat
07-19-2012, 11:03 AM
What are the controls like?

Cerebus_
07-19-2012, 11:12 AM
^Flickit

...Dpad

Boris Magee
07-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Got this game yesterday, planning to write a review of it at some point. It draws parallels with Sonic 4: Episode 1 in a lot of ways.

PoppySquidJr
07-20-2012, 07:11 PM
IMO Proving Grounds is still more fun. Hate all you want, I like Proving Grounds still.
Nonetheless, grab THPS 2x. cheaper, more stuff. :P

Boris Magee
07-20-2012, 07:56 PM
IMO Proving Grounds is still more fun. Hate all you want, I like Proving Grounds still.
Nonetheless, grab THPS 2x. cheaper, more stuff. :P

I wish I could. I can't find a PAL copy for crap! All of the copies of it on eBay are from the U.S., and I'm in Australia. Also, some of them cost $50 USD!? Haha, any ideas where I could find a PAL copy of it?

Antwan
07-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Just Grabbed The THPS HD Trial game..
Whattt
You have to ollie before you fliptrick?
I don't remember this at all.

Any Exploits yet?
I'd love unlimited time until I buy it haha

briden
07-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Just Grabbed The THPS HD Trial game..
Whattt
You have to ollie before you fliptrick?
I don't remember this at all.

Any Exploits yet?
I'd love unlimited time until I buy it haha

Skate until 0:31 left on the timer -> press Start -> Retry

Stevland
07-22-2012, 05:46 AM
I wish I could. I can't find a PAL copy for crap! All of the copies of it on eBay are from the U.S., and I'm in Australia. Also, some of them cost $50 USD!? Haha, any ideas where I could find a PAL copy of it?

2x is an US release only :(

fallingskyline
07-22-2012, 11:44 PM
i have a copy of 2x lying around, too bad i don't have a ntsc xbox to play it, since i sold my modded xbox years ago...

fallingskyline
07-22-2012, 11:47 PM
i ended up buying thps hd, for the sake of it... playing through it, till i have 100% on each lvl. so far i've copmpleted the first four levels. i hate combomambo, luckily there are no combo goals given <3

MarcoPoloUSN
07-22-2012, 11:50 PM
for the life of me, i can't get 15 manuals in one combo on school ii with rodney mullen... its an achievement. i think i suck.

Noodlezer
07-23-2012, 04:17 AM
for the life of me, i can't get 15 manuals in one combo on school ii with rodney mullen... its an achievement. i think i suck.

You're halfway right, halfway wrong.

Actually its not that hard to combo, but the balance meter is really the worst of any TH game. It sometimes makes you bail whereas its still indicating that your manual balance is not fucked up yet.

I'm a HUGE THPSer, I won't do a review of this game, but I'd say its a good game for its price. The main problem is that its supposed to be "arcade huge fun" and that it ended up that its just "arcade and a bit fun". What I mean => The gameplay is cool, but its LESS enjoyable than even the 1st TH episode, cause of that balance meter issue and cause of wallrides (they are way harder to get, which always makes me angry. Losing a combo for such a reason aint no fun).

Just my opinion, but if doing a remake was a great idea, coming back to the THPS1 and 2 gameplay wasn't. Reverts and abilities like going off your board were improvements, it wasnt what killed the TH serie.

Look at me doing a total improvisation of TH American Wasteland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2IoI3wt7g

THPS HD => killed the fun I could have.

The online got killed too compared to THP3/4,THUG1,THUG2,THAW: No lobby system, 4 players max (8 before), and when the timer reaches the zero, you can't watch others continue their combo (or be watched by others if its you). Watching others show off was nice, be seen too. Even if its not your opinion, you can't say that what's happening in THPS HD ( => after 0, your see your character "freezing" in nose manual stance, and you wait...2, 5, 10, 30 seconds...) is better.

THPS HD => killed the fun I could have (bis).

As a result, I like it as a skateboarding game, fun to play, nice music etc... but we're in 2012, and i don't understand why they wanted to do a remake without putting all the improvements in.

A THPS3 DLC with reverts available is nice...but they won't work in non-DLC levels...

SpadedOne
07-23-2012, 08:28 AM
I won on a scratcher so I picked up THPSHD.
There are just too many bad choices that were made here.
No splitscreen anything?
I just 100% the game with Andrew Reynolds. I can only play all the levels with Andrew. If I want to play Marseille with Nyjah, I have to play all the way through the game again. Bad choice.
Seriously?
This really could have been an amazing arcade title with just a few little changes.
The nostalgia doesn't hold up very long and when it runs out, you can't even play the character you want on the level you want.
Maybe they can address some of these problems with the DLC or a patch or something.

agusbmxarg
07-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Lol noodle I used to play online on East LA all the time. My record is like 273millions or sumthin like that. Still can do all those buttslaps, neuroplants, vertical np's, vsws and shit.
I wasn't very good at prov tho. I just knew the lines for each map, and then maybe I changed them a lil bit.

Dead_Head
07-23-2012, 10:15 AM
I won on a scratcher so I picked up THPSHD.
There are just too many bad choices that were made here.
No splitscreen anything?
I just 100% the game with Andrew Reynolds. I can only play all the levels with Andrew. If I want to play Marseille with Nyjah, I have to play all the way through the game again. Bad choice.
Seriously?
This really could have been an amazing arcade title with just a few little changes.
The nostalgia doesn't hold up very long and when it runs out, you can't even play the character you want on the level you want.
Maybe they can address some of these problems with the DLC or a patch or something.

I literally did the same thing, all with Reynolds as well. Was pretty pissed about how you can't freeskate any level with any character after you beat all the levels with one.
And another stupid thing is after I beat all the challenges, and maxed out my stats, I wanted to just freeskate, went to lower my stats so I don't ollie 10 feet high and you can't edit them once you've set them all the way up, was pretty pissed at that.
It seems like the base idea is there, but theres a lot they forgot to think about with this game. Hopefully theres an update where they make it so if you unlock levels with a character you can freeskate in those levels with any character, I really don't feel like doing all the challenges 2,3,4...etc. times over.

Also, has anyone done all the projectives with a character yet? Any unlocks?

m.seven
07-23-2012, 10:36 AM
hearing more bad than good about this game...think i'll use my $15 for a dime bag and a tall boy

NotedDerk
07-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Noodlezer couldn't have summed it up any better.
I don't regret buying the game one bit, still going to play it from time to time.
Robomodo just has a lot to learn and improve on, if they expand it further.

Noodlezer
07-23-2012, 12:29 PM
hearing more bad than good about this game...think i'll use my $15 for a dime bag and a tall boy

Well, actually, this game is just "not what it could easily have been", but I wouldn't recommend not to buy it, cause it's still a nice game! For $15, which good game do you have? Trials HD/evolution, and...? Not a lot.

If you enjoy skateboarding (and you're here, so you do), you'll have more fun playing this $15 game than a lot (most?) of $50/70 games.

Let's say that for us its a good alternative to Skate3, like when nobody's online and you have no inspiration at all for tricks or filming :)

SpadedOne
07-23-2012, 01:04 PM
I just 100% the game again this morning with Rodney Mullen. Took about 2 hours.
Hopefully Robomodo will listen to the consumer and fix some of these small, non-gameplay problems.
This game has such incredible potential.

m.seven
07-23-2012, 01:09 PM
i'll definately try the demo just to see how it feels before i decide to buy it or not,but i'd much rather be able to play any level with any skater instead of having to go beat it with each skater

Noodlezer
07-23-2012, 01:13 PM
i'd much rather be able to play any level with any skater instead of having to go beat it with each skater

Just create an online session in free skate mode, and there you go ;)

Antwan
08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
I like Rodney Mullen's Trick setup
I don't know if you can change all that but I couldn't be bothered to look
I've got this now if anyone wants to get down on it

ANTWANthePAWN on Xbox

I'm still warming up to the awkward controls but I can do something like a 300k Combo at my highest haha
I have noticed you can do a bit of popless, I really hate the fliptrick animations but you can no comply/boneless into banks very smooth, Airwalk plant the side of buildings and even airwalk right when you're about to land flat
I'm still messing with it and It is a lot of work making things look legit there are a ton of things I advise against for realism
but The game is what it is, I still enjoy it :D

pawnluvguitarist
08-13-2012, 05:50 PM
yeah still waiting for it to drop on PS3. I see myself just playing as Mullen, hope i can get a little enjoyment out of it.

Antwan
08-13-2012, 05:55 PM
yeah still waiting for it to drop on PS3. I see myself just playing as Mullen, hope i can get a little enjoyment out of it.
Man I Don't know if I believe this.. some dude at gamestop today tried to tell me he doesn't know if this is coming out on Playstation.. Didn't it start on playstation? I'm not sure about all that maybe he just doesn't know what's up.

I'm not sure what your aim is for play style pawn but I think you will enjoy figuring out popless stuff
There are a few tricks I haven't done low yet but It looks to be doable through practice.
Grabs right before flat are fun. I'm sure you will find your own things too.. I was all about arcade when this game was popular so I'm not really looking at all of it with the focus you might.

pawnluvguitarist
08-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Last I heard the PS3 release should be the last week of August or first of September.

Yeah man, you could always do popless, I remember building parks in THAW and setting things up for it. Always kinda skated the same way in the THPS series as Skate, was just always a lot easier to do exactly what you wanted to do in Skate.

replicant
08-14-2012, 03:54 AM
Last I heard the PS3 release should be the last week of August or first of September.

Yeah man, you could always do popless, I remember building parks in THAW and setting things up for it. Always kinda skated the same way in the THPS series as Skate, was just always a lot easier to do exactly what you wanted to do in Skate.

The PS3 version comes out on August 28th.

bunnybcitu
08-14-2012, 09:34 AM
It's alright.. If you play it like THPS2 it can be enjoyable for a week or so but after that you realize all that's glitchy about the gameplay and lose hope. Want the dlc.