PDA

View Full Version : Views on Street League?

Ruben_Williams
07-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Is it killing the spirit or Skateboarding or is it revolutionary? What do you think?

rzrfvr
07-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Neither. The X Games and SL definitely help to make skateboarding more popular in society.

The nice thing about it is that you instantly see the score of a trick. What's missing in SL is variety. Some guys like Cole, Oliveira, and O'Neill step up and do some creative skating while some others just stick to safe tricks and strictly planned runs.

It would be a whole lot more fun to watch if the courses were laid out in a way that would cater to many different kinds of skaters. There's hardly any manny pads or at least manny friendly obstacles and never really any tranny.

Ruben_Williams
07-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Yeah I agree, I enjoy watching it, I think it gives back as much as it takes away, Nyjah Houston will try one trick and until he gets it, which is cool, then as u say Chris Cole adds flare and variety, u can see the old school in him, scary to think I'm the same age as him and seein how young all the other skaters are around him.

Besides I think it's important for skating to have different classes for it to fall into, it helps what makes it dynamic, even if said style isn't your bag.

rzrfvr
07-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Besides I think it's important for skating to have different classes for it to fall into, it helps what makes it dynamic, even if said style isn't your bag.
Sure, I agree with that but I'd say that SL falls into the street skating genre and there is lots more to street skating than just ledges and rails in various sizes.

Legba
07-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Meh, I wouldn't call it revolutionary, but I think it helps. It provides another opportunity for the type of skaters that do well in contests, while also serving as one more way to expose skating to non-skaters. I mean it is kind of stale in my opinion (both the range of skating, and the lack of diversity in the course) but since it's started, I've met plenty of people who don't skate that are now hyped on Nyjah, Lutzka, and, more recently, Austyn Gillette! By being hyped on those riders, those people are now hyped on skating like they are basketball. And that helps. Watching SL has lead some of these people to watching skate videos, it's nuts! Also, while the Xgames show skateboarding alongside motocross or drift racing, SL is only skateboarding. That direct attention makes a difference if you ask me.

Ruben_Williams
07-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Sure, I agree with that but I'd say that SL falls into the street skating genre and there is lots more to street skating than just ledges and rails in various sizes.

Oh yeah absolutely, this street league stuff is usin the word street in a very loose term, only in this years event did they bother to bring in a sort of jam solo session which allowed the skaters to have run of about 40 seconds?

ps. robs just tryna redeem himself for his bad acting in street dreams haha

TOATISCOMING
07-16-2012, 02:24 PM
One thing i dont like is that street league is based off of trick difficulty,in my opinion i believe Prod,Shane Oneil,Laun and cole should be winners they do crazy tricks but always get a low score,to me its all about fan base and not the fun of skating. My next opinion Nyjah houston constantly gets overscored for doing a back lip...come one some one else could of did hardflip bs lip and would of got a 8 then nyjah comes up and does a kickflip fs board and he gets a nine. Its bias

rzrfvr
07-16-2012, 03:15 PM
I agree, the scoring isn't really all that great. Some skaters get pretty high scores for simple tricks while some others don't get as high a score when doing something more difficult.

I think one of the reasons Nyjah is getting high scores is because the judges want tricks to look clean while disregarding the skater's style completely. That's a disadvantage to someone like Pudwill who's got kind of a sketchy but very personal style. Nyjah is like a robot/video game.

Ruben_Williams
07-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Yeah, Cole is really impressive, he literally owns out there, dare I say Sheckler bosses some big air too, I dunno what peoples views are on him, n I dunno what he's like off the board, but he does deliver some good shit. got my props. really not fussed on Houston, shows little emotion out there.

replicant
07-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Street League is not killing the spirit of skateboarding or revolutionizing the sport either.
It is however giving skateboarding more exposure and helping skateboarding move ahead in a technical standpoint.
You cannot deny that quite a bit of the SLS skating over the past couple years have been video enders used in a competitive environment.
The scoring system is pretty much just fine as it is. Cole, Sheckler, and Nyjah get rewarded for tech and big work at the same time.
While on the otherhand you have O'Neil and P-Rod working more technical aspects overall. Then you have someone like Malto
utilizing the system to try and keep consistent tricks with no bails to keep his score averages competitive.

A competition is always going to have those who skate predefined runs, some who play strategically safe, and those who are there to give
a show or compete against themselves. In SLS you have Cole and Sheckler for example who have lost events simply because they really
wanted to land that big trick for the crowd instead of playing safe for the money. Then you have O'Neil and Malto who almost always take
the more "safe" route for positioning. P-Rod works the system as hard as he can by staying Switch most of the time. They are all trying to
get paid.

Competitions have never been breeding grounds for the more artistic side of skateboarding because it's counter-intuitive to winning. Whether
it was the KONA comps of the 70's, Tempe or Del Mar of the 80's, on up to the Maloof/SLS of the current generation. The difference now is that
in SLS trick difficulty means more than someones name and style in the final score. For skateboarding to be taken seriously as a "sport" you need
that consistency in scoring. You're still trying to do something new and harder to stand out, but everyone for the most part in SLS is on even footing.

The thing I like mainly about SLS as opposed to MMC for example is none of the antiquated "Jam" sessions. It better to watch one skater at a time,
than try to keep up with 8 running all over the course and each other. As for adding vert terrain I say leave that to the Park, Pool, and Vert comps
that happen all over the world already since they don't really belong in street league.

replicant
07-17-2012, 04:32 AM
Yeah, Cole is really impressive, he literally owns out there, dare I say Sheckler bosses some big air too, I dunno what peoples views are on him, n I dunno what he's like off the board, but he does deliver some good shit. got my props. really not fussed on Houston, shows little emotion out there.I think a lot of people disliked Sheckler when he was coming of age and basically being another snot nosed rich kid (Life of Ryan phase). Nowadays I don't hear much negative toward him usually. Watching him skate these days I have gained respect for him again because he seems like that kid who shocked me from the X Games back in 2003. I enjoy watching him skate because he busts his ass out there now. Cole is a boss and I've been a fan of his for quite awhile. Someday I hope to see him land all his big shit and win a SLS stop. Nyjah is a youngblood and the newer skaters have a whole different style about them. Some say he skates robotic, but the same was said about Rodney Mullen and Tony Hawk (Both of which are Legends now). Oddly enough, Nyjah in the past year or so since setting out on his own has shown more emotion and you can see that he is skating for fun now even if seriously trying to win. Ben Raybourn is probably my favorite younger skater who actually has a very unique skating style and personality.

fallingskyline
07-17-2012, 05:18 AM
ps. robs just tryna redeem himself for his bad acting in street dreams haha

i bought his role being a dick ;)

On topic:

i like sl, but i don't like the fact to see those same faces again and again and again. If you watch sl you know the finalists most instantly: Houston, Cole, Sheckler, P-Rod, O-Neill, Malto, Ortiz are basicly in every final. This is lacking the diversity a bit. okay they'Re the so called icing of the cake or who's hot in skateboarding, but i'd like to see some other faces, too.

there are some or those guys, i know their trick or their run, before they did it. which bores the hell out of me, not wanna sound like a whiny little bitch, but malto for example is plain boring at those contest, there's fairly no fliptrick made by him and he still get "high" scores, compared to others doing flip in flip out shit and getting nearly the same score. then there are those to robot kids (one on element, one on zoo york), which can no doubt skate, BUT lack style!!!
the run section kinda killed it for me, that's where the whole thing stood out, but now its more or less boring...
I demand malto and ortiz being blocked from entering next year ;)

TOATISCOMING
07-29-2012, 08:19 PM
How the homies in Vegas think about street league

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X86AoJtwkKE

yumpancakes1
07-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Me,TOAT, and insanemaster has covered this topic numerious times on xbox. Toat knows what he's talking about

TOATISCOMING
07-29-2012, 11:18 PM
thanks yummy