PDA

View Full Version : So, how do you like it?

Legba
07-24-2012, 12:55 PM
This thread was inspired by some of Pawn's videos. They reminded me of when I went to Toronto in high school, WITHOUT MY BOARD and was absolutely furious about not being able to take advantage of the great/clean spots there.

Spots make skating different everywhere you go. Some places are loaded with smooth and obviously skatable
ledges, banks, etc; while other places are rough and difficult, and require a certain finesse. And still others appear to have no spots at all, but in fact contain hidden gems.

My question is: How do YOU like skating where YOU live? And why?

I love skating NYC, and it remains one of my favorite places I've ever skated. There's just so much different shit to shred here and SOOO many different types of skaters at each spot. It's great.
But I've also lived and loved skating in towns/cities all up & down the east coast! Norwalk CT, Ocean City NJ, Atlanta GA, and Washington DC all come to mind as other dope places for me.

Legba
08-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Well shit guys, I thought it was a good topic.

PoppySquidJr
08-02-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't like skating where I live. the only skateable areas I have are rough as fuck concrete on flat land. However, I will pick up skating when I go to college, and to save explanation, I'm the one with the "Clemson University" Thread.

Antwan
08-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Well I've moved around, some times I feel like too much.. but skating made things not matter as much. Lost Friends, Girls. Met New People, Got motivated all in the same package..
Maybe it sounds odd but fakeskating is what really drove me to start, and eventually helped me expand.
Observing the way things were done on tony hawk's pro skater as a kid going out and attempting it for hours, finally getting an ollie. Grew up in Florida, Pretty decent spots, but was very inexperienced so yeah didn't use much of it.
Moved to California for a while.. I don't really remember it but I would imagine there was nice spots there.
Back to Florida, Picked skating back up and started to learn pretty quickly. Moved to Ohio, By then I had explored most things on flat. Banging out 360 flips, shuvs, ollie tweaks, ollie north/south and kickflips.. By that time I didn't really care, Rebel teenager, hated my life and missed my friends.. just wanted to skate, Never really spot hunted Just went out and had fun, let go. Eventually met friends and started skating daily, call em up go skate.. The Local school, The local shopping plaza, and even started to learn about skateparks. I never really felt like I needed to skate a certain spot a certain way.. to drive the point home.. In all my experiences with a skateboard I just did what I felt, and lately it's alot less about big fliptricks. The little things are what is keeping me wanting to skate.. expanding on simple shit, creating my own thing. Even simple stuff I can consider going big now, If you expand on whatever you're attempting, You're going big. I always felt a different vibe though.. I don't know if it was me growing up or what but Ohio is alright, some cool people and some real dirtbags. I went to Newyork just a few months ago, Nothing will compare to that feeling. Just riding, The atmosphere changed ten fold.. You feel like everyone is skating with you, people hype you up. It's a great vibe in NY, spot selection is no joke.. from Brooklyn and up into the city people are skating just about every day. I met a ton of cool people, got some free boards and it really hit home, Made me want to have more drive in what I do.. Spot hunting, Still Living in Ohio. Skate when I can, spots aren't a factor to me.. I enjoy skating period, I'll go skate in the parking lot somewhere if it was all I had. Shit, My roots on the skateboard are sidewalk hills and tennis courts, so going to flat in some random lot somewhere is complete nostalgia. I've probably lived in 4 different locations within Cincinnati in my time in ohio, but none really felt any different, you find stuff to skate if you look hard enough. Having friends who know what's up with spots was always a big help. I think really, I like skating where I live because of my mindset. Someone could look here and say it sucks.. You have to walk a decent mile to find anything to skate and cross several roads, but being in newyork and walking daily.. It's not a big deal anymore. A Walk is always justified by something to skate, I love that.

pawnluvguitarist
08-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Nowadays I'm mostly just skating parks, lucky for me there's like 40 within an hour drive. I used to skate more street spots back in the day, but that was when me and my friends used to skate all day every day. Now most of the guys I used to skate with don't skate anymore or as much, so I only go street skating occasionally. For the most part I just skate my local park, it's got all I need, smooth flatground, couple banks and a parking block.

knexzor
08-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Nowadays I'm mostly just skating parks, lucky for me there's like 40 within an hour drive. I used to skate more street spots back in the day, but that was when me and my friends used to skate all day every day. Now most of the guys I used to skate with don't skate anymore or as much, so I only go street skating occasionally. For the most part I just skate my local park, it's got all I need, smooth flatground, couple banks and a parking block.
My exact situation as well. Although my local park is fucking huge and amazing.

thesignguy
08-03-2012, 09:59 AM
My exact situation as well. Although my local park is fucking huge and amazing.

im getting on the quote bandwagon because it pertains to me as well

Legba
08-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Well I've moved around, some times I feel like too much.. but skating made things not matter as much. Lost Friends, Girls. Met New People, Got motivated all in the same package--
I love that.

Yeah, I moved around a whole bunch until I was like 18, it really does suck in a lot of ways, but I can say its helped my skating. Like made me more versatile, and appreciative of any little spot. Cuz I've lived in some places with NOTHING, Not even a smooth parking lot (well, one that allowed skating anyways) so me & the 2 other dudes that skated there would just session this empty street. Manholes are always good.

Legba
08-04-2012, 12:21 PM

It sucks when your favorite homeys to skate with all quit, but that's usually what happens. As for you not skating street anymore, I would say you don't really need to judging by how nice the parks are over there lol. But parks don't exactly feel the same.

bengrover
08-10-2012, 12:07 PM
I hate it. A 3 stair and a shitty park (bank, quarter, box if you can call it anything, thats it). Thats about as good as it gets around here. Have to go at least 2/3 hours to find a decent park.

Boxerman08
08-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Nowadays I'm mostly just skating parks... I used to skate more street spots back in the day, but that was when me and my friends used to skate all day every day. Now most of the guys I used to skate with don't skate anymore or as much, so I only go street skating occasionally.

I hate it. A 3 stair and a shitty park (bank, quarter, box if you can call it anything, thats it). Thats about as good as it gets around here. Have to go at least 2/3 hours to find a decent park.

Kinda the same as both you guys... I only skate parks now, everyone I know that used to skate, stopped, and the nearest fun one I go to when I wanna skate for a good while takes me around 1 hour and a half... If only I could either live more in the heart of Montreal or somewhere else like NY or Vancouver or something...

Ruben_Williams
08-10-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm from the UK. and we're not blessed with plazas, big flat "sidewalks" and nice ledges. . . lol so i mostly ride my bike, but use my skateboard sometimes from time to time if i fancy a change

emericaridr11
08-11-2012, 09:49 AM
I live in Denver Colorado and its fucking GREAT!

not only do we have Redic amounts of amazing concrete parks but...

downtown denver has spots literally every corner, i love it so much, street skating all day

i stay Far Far away from skateparks

Local kid he is cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqp64pYlvcI&feature=plcp

emericaridr11
08-11-2012, 09:50 AM
and a fun vid to go with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE1UTKXb7BA&feature=plcp

Legba
08-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Hahaha, oh shit! I remember William Spencer from like 06 or some shit! Glad to see him still up to his parkour antics.
And that Lybarger dude is pretty nasty, that nollie 540 ender was bonkers!
All in all, Denver is lookin pretty dope! Maybe I can convince the homies to stop there on the next skate-van trip lol.

emericaridr11
08-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Hahaha, oh shit! I remember William Spencer from like 06 or some shit! Glad to see him still up to his parkour antics.
And that Lybarger dude is pretty nasty, that nollie 540 ender was bonkers!
All in all, Denver is lookin pretty dope! Maybe I can convince the homies to stop there on the next skate-van trip lol.
i think its great, plus there is so so so so so many skateparks too

somedude
08-11-2012, 11:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqp64pYlvcI&feature=plcp

ive always wanted to skate that spot at 0:45