PDA

View Full Version : What makes a Skate video great?

bunnybcitu
08-10-2012, 01:22 AM
I'm pretty new to the skate community so I'd really like to know what page the majority of you are on.. Is it the tricks you do, or how you film it more important?

I think after 3+ years of playing this game you'd think everyone has gotten down the gameplay and the tricks become less and less difficult to execute. Meaning, it's not the trick you do that's important, it's how you film it.. Am I on the right track? Again, I'm not trying to start anything or attack anyone, i'm just here because I want to get better, make better videos and understand this community better.

PS. I come from the THPS community where gameplay is everything and when we make videos it's what you're doing that's important, not how it's recorded.

Jebotek
08-10-2012, 01:25 AM
http://skatefluckit.com/showthread.php?t=8792

may that helps

bunnybcitu
08-10-2012, 01:36 AM
That doesn't help, that tells me this is a video editing forum.

pawnluvguitarist
08-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Its all over the place here. At one end you'll see some people doing generic tricks with the emphasis on a solid edit and filming. With others having the focus on trick difficulty, creativity and having their own style. We've got the arcade skaters too, skating unrealistic with crazy hippy flip stuff, very THPS ish.

knexzor
08-10-2012, 03:13 AM
Personally I prefer the trick aspect, be it a hard combo, double grind, popless, hard gap, ungrindable or simply a standard trick with creative or perfected use of animations. If it contains any of the above I don't care if the filming is sloppy. Essentially, using the tools provided to create something unique.

As long as you know what you want to do, and strive to do it in a satisfactory manner, you should be good to go. It always show when somebody doesn't have a clue why they did the tricks they did.

I can't stand watching bland or random footage.

rzrfvr
08-10-2012, 03:35 AM
As long as you know what you want to do, and strive to do it in a satisfactory manner, you should be good to go. It always show when somebody doesn't have a clue why they did the tricks they did.
This, a million times! When it comes to filming I think most people will like it if it doesn't get in the way of watching the tricks. Panbacks, clipping, jerky motions etc. mess up the viewing experience. Some guys have their own style of filming and some mimic real skate video filming. When it comes to tricks it is all very personal though, the majority here enjoys realistic(ish) tricks the most.

For me the most important thing is that it feels cohesive. Music, tricks, spots and edit should feel like it is striving towards the same goal.

Ruben_Williams
08-10-2012, 06:17 AM
I'm new to filming and sort of what I've been doing as emphasised on the filming rather than tricks, although I'd say tricks are more important, solid filming with good tricks should trump standard tricks with good filming imo, although Im not that great at tricks I need to to learn to film to do park promos.

mamba12
08-10-2012, 06:43 AM
tricks are more important in my book, but any old simple trick can look great if it's filmed well

i am a snail
08-10-2012, 06:57 AM
good trick selection is more important to me than over-the-top, flashy edits, but you've gotta be able to film your tricks in a way they actually look pleasing to the eye. the thing that's different about our community as opposed to thps is that more emphasis is placed on the tricks we do looking as smooth and as realistic as possible, usually through manipulating the game's animations to our advantage, which can make some supposedly easy tricks still take more than a few tries to get dialed to get it "perfect." this usually leads to differing opinions on how something should look at what spot and/or what tricks should be done there, which is great since it gets multiple people hitting spots in cool and unusual ways that people might not have thought of. everyone has something new to bring to the table.

Ruben_Williams
08-10-2012, 07:41 AM
good trick selection is more important to me than over-the-top, flashy edits, but you've gotta be able to film your tricks in a way they actually look pleasing to the eye. the thing that's different about our community as opposed to thps is that more emphasis is placed on the tricks we do looking as smooth and as realistic as possible, usually through manipulating the game's animations to our advantage, which can make some supposedly easy tricks still take more than a few tries to get dialed to get it "perfect." this usually leads to differing opinions on how something should look at what spot and/or what tricks should be done there, which is great since it gets multiple people hitting spots in cool and unusual ways that people might not have thought of. everyone has something new to bring to the table.

Yeaah in my last video, it took me foreverrr to film the spots, and even though the tricks arent that difficult, I find skating slow and tryna get it to look realistic takes alot more effort than just charging at an object full blast.

m.seven
08-10-2012, 07:50 AM
one thing you have to remember is that you aren't going to please everybody,everyone here looks at this game in a different way.it's become rather cliche but the most important thing is to have fun,cause if you're not then what's the point?
there will always be haters or the random idiot that wants to use your video thread for their online comedy act,that's just the nature of the beast called the internet.after a while you'll be able to notice the difference between good constructive criticism and random retardedness,just have to forget about the latter.
anyways,watch the vids guys post,soak it in,and keep working at it.good luck.

Groove
08-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Originality is the key for me.
I find edits to be boring unless the creator has
gone trying something mindless, out of the box.

MarcoPoloUSN
08-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Style.

Your style; the way your present your trick. That's what does it for me.

Sickone
08-14-2012, 11:17 PM
one thing you have to remember is that you aren't going to please everybody,everyone here looks at this game in a different way.it's become rather cliche but the most important thing is to have fun,cause if you're not then what's the point?
there will always be haters or the random idiot that wants to use your video thread for their online comedy act,that's just the nature of the beast called the internet.after a while you'll be able to notice the difference between good constructive criticism and random retardedness,just have to forget about the latter.
anyways,watch the vids guys post,soak it in,and keep working at it.good luck.

this

Fuck anyone who doesn't like how you play your video game and have a nice day

emericaridr11
08-15-2012, 12:10 AM
just use a good song!

bunnybcitu
08-15-2012, 12:21 AM
this

Fuck anyone who doesn't like how you play your video game and have a nice day

Thanks man. Needed this from someone like you.

Skatehead
08-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Fancy's....all about the fancy's.

bohemian
08-15-2012, 05:13 AM
crappy owlcams seem to be a must for praise

and throw a fuckugly halfpush in the mix and youll be a hero in notime

thesignguy
08-15-2012, 06:01 AM
Trick selection

It helps if you have southcity in your name or film real life with a vx1000

Flix reminds me more and more of a guy that will haunt a house with props to get the gold buried underneath until a green van with a dog and a hippy "meddle" with the plan
Sorry if that doesn't make sense overseas

mamba12
08-15-2012, 06:08 AM
film burns, shutter noises, using your real name instead of your gt

bohemian
08-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Trick selection

It helps if you have southcity in your name or film real life with a vx1000

Flix reminds me more and more of a guy that will haunt a house with props to get the gold buried underneath until a green van with a dog and a hippy "meddle" with the plan
Sorry if that doesn't make sense overseas

im lost, are the dog and the hippy in the haunted house or in the green van? :/

and sorry for being a dick.

on topic, tricks spots and cameras, preferably done with a personal twist or flare will do the job. screw editing. thats a different beast.

thesignguy
08-15-2012, 08:43 AM
haha no man it was a joke, I thought it might not of been a known cartoon overseas. its all good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_C2HJvtRDY

agusbmxarg
08-15-2012, 09:20 AM
What makes a Skate video great?
First, you gotta be happy with what you've done, your work. That doesn't mean you don't have to overcome yourself every edit with new things, new techniques or just different results, because that may lead to a state of resignation and self conformity, which it aint good.
The way you use the spots, the way you film the tricks, the tricks themselves, why you did that trick instead of the other one. The soundtrack you pick, in the case you feature music in your video project.
But the most important thing, have fun.

Nah, the most important thing, you gotta be in a team heh.

i am a snail
08-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Nah, the most important thing, you gotta be in a team heh.
hah

Permy
08-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Fancy's....all about the fancy's.

what minecrafthead said

Clayfighter
08-15-2012, 11:46 AM
i mix of both filming and tricks. if youve got a good style and tricks, you tend to know how to film them to give it the best look. alot of the best dudes in this game dont film completely realistic, but they do film in ways that best show off their skating. also fancys

Noodlezer
08-17-2012, 05:25 AM
Your reputation here. No doubt.

MagicNarcosis
08-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Kissing ass right before your video comes out

Permy
08-26-2012, 06:33 AM
and dick sucking
loootttsss of dick sucking

and sharks

MF JORDAN
08-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Steady filming, Good tricks, good music no butt shots and your golden.
Oh an Don't suck da meat unless they pay you up front.