PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Arcade Games

Antwan
09-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Well I purchase arcade games now and then on the dashboard just to try things out that look cool..
Have been purchasing them more often lately.. Thought I'd let you guys know what ones I liked.
I'll probably update my list If I buy a new one, If you guys know one that's pretty cool feel free
to give it a shout out so we can check it out.
I always try the trial before I purchase, so I go into buying each arcade title knowing what the game is
and almost always enjoy the play through. The fact that it's cheaper is a nice bonus I think
I don't expect much, but if I get something more than a tiny game out of it it's that much better.
I'll just go in order of purchase.

Prince of Persia:
An Arcade version of the classic prince of persia sidescroller, Looks pretty accurate to my knowledge.
I enjoyed going back to this one.

Hydrophobia:
I wasn't honestly going to buy this title but once it dropped in price
I watched a few videos on it and it peeked my interest.
Tried the trial, liked that, got the game and the play through was pretty cool.
It has a climbing kind of puzzle feel to it, those games I always thought were fun.

Black Light: Tango Down:
I enjoyed this game quite a bit when I first bought it
Never seen anything like the weapon customization, change various aspects of your gun
to fit your playstyle, earn "Dogtags" with unique looks to add to the gun for Attack bonuses.
You earn a few armors for your character through leveling up but player customization was
pretty minimal compared to the whole gun thing.
Worth a play I think, Try the trial to be sure.

I AM Alive:
Well, This game was very challenging. Another Climb, Puzzle type game..
more of a survival feel to it. I Recommend this one to all.

Ultimate MK3:
Personally, I love the mortal kombat series..
The moment I saw this one I purchased it.
Nothing beats the classics.

DOOM:
Straight gritty pixely shooter, the same as I remember it.
Another good classic to pick up.

Trials HD:
I will not compare this one to it's sequel.
This game was a lot of fun, I tend to complete most games within the first few days
and this one was no exception, but still a challenge. Worth a mention, as the first of it's kind on Xbox.

Trials Evolution:
This was a complete overhaul.
Outdoor worlds, Actual Scenery.
I play this every now and then, can't wait for the new DLC to come out.

Counter-Strike: GO:
Wow, What can I say?
Long time Counter strike fan.. I planned to love this no matter what the out come was.
I was so ready to see this on console, bummed the cross platform wasn't for xbox
but what can you do. Love it, Will play it for quite a while.

Tony Hawk's PS HD:
Well, I'm no die hard fan of the series.
I did however play a majority of them, It was great to go back to the things I remembered..
and even some I didn't.. still playing through the campaign. Almost maxed out Rodney Mullen.

NBA JAM: OFE:
Ha, I don't play NBA Games much anymore but when I saw this I had to give it a try.
I had never played the original, but still enjoy this.
Big headed nba players, and the rosters are hecka old. Larry Bird!
The First NBA Arcade style game I've seen..
2 on 2 basketball with four 2.5 minute quarters.
Dunks from half court, Ball sets on fire after 3 consecutive shots.
It's hilarious, a ton of fun however.. and not having played nba games in a while
it was that much better.
The Road trip is intense, you go around the world going up against a ton of teams.
all 2 on 2 of course.
Something like 100 games to be played in the career.

Realms of Ancient Wars:
Well, Part of why these games are interesting to me is the price range..
I was able to find this one through a teaser trailer they put out earlier in the month.
A decent hack n slash, Decent skills to put time into and some cool looking armors.
Just wish you could play it online, then we would be talking.
I was looking for a fix, not having anything to run the recent diablo III.
It's not the best hack n slash out there, but for it's price
It was decent.
It was fun.. Story line was REALLY long, I enjoyed that about it.

PoppySquidJr
09-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Jet Set Radio is a MUST. Just grabbed it for PC, great HD rendition of a wonderful dreamcast game.

momadaddy
09-21-2012, 11:50 PM
castle crashers

limbo

shadow complex

bastion

I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1N IT!!!1

Antwan
09-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Cool, I'll have to try some of them.
I never played Jet Set, I have only heard about it.

riki2cool
09-22-2012, 12:16 AM
You should play doom on PC instead.
It got a great community and has several modified engines that includes dynamic lightning ETC.

fallingskyline
09-22-2012, 06:31 AM
in no particular order:

peggle: my favorite time killer, easy to learn hard to master.

the walking dead: most intense story in a game in YEARS

fruit ninja kinect: guilty pleasure, here. i think its fun even if the controls could be a little more accurate, maybe it's just my "cat-like" reflexes that make me suck in this game ;)

hexic hd: instant classic

trials evolution: well as if i need to say anything about it

ikaruga: best shoot em up EVER, imo

the maw: a boy and his blob go crazy

cloning clyde: funny as hell puzzle jump n run

i got lots more like happy action theatre, monkey island 1&2, sam n max, costume quest, limbo, braid, bastion... just would take to long to call them all. there's really a lot of good arcade games on xbox...

...but xbox got no JOURNEY, which is my favorite "arcade" overall

Antwan
09-26-2012, 06:36 PM
You should play doom on PC instead.
It got a great community and has several modified engines that includes dynamic lightning ETC.
People still play it? That's pretty crazy man. Personally I prefer the console now..
I was pretty young when Doom was popular.. So I don't remember a whole lot
but seeing the things I did remember I was stoked.
When I think Doom, I think Quake.. I would love to see some of the Quake series on the console.
I played Quake 4 on Xbox and it was fun but it doesn't justify where that series started.
I get that these games are made for PC and some people think they should remain there
but on the console, I'm at home. I can relax with a controller and re-adapt to old memories in game remakes.

Antwan
09-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Well So far I've tried Jet Set Radio.
I bet this game was the shit back in the day.
Controls feel a little off, but I give it slack because
For it being older, the flips and what not.. seem to be pretty damn smooth.. I like clearing stairsets.
A Fun Arcade Rollerblading game.. With Tagging graffiti.
Only 800 Microsoft Points. I'll get it when I have loose change.
As always, try the trial to be sure. I enjoyed it however.

Antwan
10-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Shadow Complex is interesting. Liked the trial of that.
Got Marvel VS Capcom: Origins
and excited to see Guilty Gear on Xbox Arcade, Will be buying that.. trial was good.

PoppySquidJr
10-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Well So far I've tried Jet Set Radio.
I bet this game was the shit back in the day.
Controls feel a little off, but I give it slack because
For it being older, the flips and what not.. seem to be pretty damn smooth.. I like clearing stairsets.
A Fun Arcade Rollerblading game.. With Tagging graffiti.
Only 800 Microsoft Points. I'll get it when I have loose change.
As always, try the trial to be sure. I enjoyed it however.

I fucking love it, but a lot of that is nostalgia <3

Also, Guilty Gear is great.

Monk
10-30-2012, 07:33 PM
LIMBO; nuff said...

NotedDerk
10-30-2012, 11:16 PM
All you xboxers need to download happy wars, the shit is FREE.
Full game, achievements and all, and it's rather enjoyable.
I'm not sure what genre it is considered, it's like a junior version of command and conquer.
Sounds dumb, but it's fun, you get equipment like an rpg and have three characters to deck out.
You earn items after each match you have and can gamble your in-game money to get even better stuff!

Or you can just actually pay for certain items, the in-game money is earned each match as well.
Just download the shit and let's play!

Seanne1986
10-31-2012, 02:01 AM
All you xboxers need to download happy wars, the shit is FREE.
Full game, achievements and all, and it's rather enjoyable.
I'm not sure what genre it is considered, it's like a junior version of command and conquer.
Sounds dumb, but it's fun, you get equipment like an rpg and have three characters to deck out.
You earn items after each match you have and can gamble your in-game money to get even better stuff!

Or you can just actually pay for certain items, the in-game money is earned each match as well.
Just download the shit and let's play!

Gonna have a look at that.

Antwan
10-31-2012, 04:19 AM
I played it for a bit pretty cool
felt pretty weak though.. you get matched up with people way higher than you once and a while.

There are a few free games planned for release.. There's one in 2013 that sounds crazy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascend:_New_Gods

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_Arcade_games#Upcoming_releases

Wikipedia has been correct with release dates so far.. I followed it to get a few arcade games the first day.

NotedDerk
10-31-2012, 06:09 AM
I just got my leaky bucket helmet on happy wars, i'm unstoppable!

It does have some serious matchmaking issues though, whether it takes 5-10 attempts to finally get into a game or the handicap is just impossible. By that, I mean, giving you a full team of single digit ranked players against a full team of nearly maxed out ranked players, good luck trying to win that round if you're on the lower side.

r0ke
10-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Trials HD and Evolution; simple.

Antwan
10-31-2012, 03:32 PM
I just got my leaky bucket helmet on happy wars, i'm unstoppable!

It does have some serious matchmaking issues though, whether it takes 5-10 attempts to finally get into a game or the handicap is just impossible. By that, I mean, giving you a full team of single digit ranked players against a full team of nearly maxed out ranked players, good luck trying to win that round if you're on the lower side.
Well, the only thing I thought made it hard was the bum rush of other players
You can take on a higher level and manage to win a duel but with several others attacking you, quite difficult.
There is also the option to buy stronger equipment for the game using microsoft points..
so not sure if people are doing that but it could be another reason.
All in all its a fun little game, time wasted on it for a few days.

NotedDerk
10-31-2012, 04:06 PM
I played with sever and loaded (new to the game) last night and loaded bought some of those tickets with microsoft points, he got some 'premium' equipment items that are better then what sever and I have and we've been playing for a while now, but we haven't dropped a dime into the game, haha.

I took on three guys at once, but four or more is overwhelming. I've never played a game before where blocking is so effective.

Antwan
10-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Yeah. Fun game.
all the small little flaws were what put me off though
Recently got new games that kick this ones ass.
It's free, but it also seems like a very experimental release
Not really a real time strategy and not really an rpg but some weird mixture of the two.
Your "Shield stance" is what I'll call it, You go to block and whatever direction your facing is where you're placed
unless you stop blocking and start again in a new direction you can be easily overcome.
I didn't really take the time to figure the game out but it seemed very rare that I got a "team skill" to use
even if I had gone on a killing spree and we had the most towers captured.
It's something new but I think it could be done a bit better.. but maybe they'll release patches, who knows.

Stu
10-31-2012, 09:05 PM
I downloaded Happy Wars, too. It's kinda cool with the towers and all them skills you get.
The servers suck though, but I think there was an in-game message that said the servers are being worked on.
I'm not even that high of a level and I just get crushed by guys who are higher than me most of the time.
Plus,My teammates tend to all pick one class (Warrior) and we end up losing because no one wants to build anything to knock down the enemy's door.
But blocking sure helps just cause it's so darn effective.