PDA

View Full Version : SPOILER Bones Brigade Documentery

thesignguy
11-16-2012, 07:32 AM
So last night me and about 10 other of my old skater friends came together in my shop and projected it onto a makeshift screen about 8' wide. We were all going to go to the premiere here in St. Louis at a local smaller theater but it was $13 and we couldn't drink and whatnot. One guy had a projector one guy bought the movie and I had the space.

It was great, I think its a must watch for anyone interested in arguably the most influential group of guys in skateboarding.
Watching it really brought in my perspective and time which me and my friends came into the scene. It was obviously the old parks closing moving things to the backyard ramp age. Still my favorite form of skating, no competition, be who you are, encouraging, family group environment.
It also proved to me that my feelings that DP and Lance Mountain have always been my 2 favorite skaters. So very different but both so rad in their own way.
Not sure why Ben Harper and Fred Durst were in it, would of much rather seen them replaced with Neil Blender or Natas or Ray Barby or a slew of other dudes but whatever. I didn't really want it to end. It is sooo good

seen it? what do you think?

m.seven
11-16-2012, 07:43 AM
is there anywhere you know of online to check it out SG?

thesignguy
11-16-2012, 07:45 AM
its on Itunes for like $16 or so

I'm sure if it aint bootlegged yet it will be soon

r0ke
11-16-2012, 08:54 AM
If it's got Lance and Ray I don't see how I can say no.

Will definitely check it out soon.

thesignguy
11-16-2012, 09:01 AM
there was only one clip from Ray from Ban This I think unfortunately. But it had the lead singer from limp bizkit?????? My only complaint
Ray is the man and hes cool to listen too, big mistake I think. It was more about the Fab 5 Lance, Hawk, Mullen, Cab, Mcgill with a little Tommy Guerrero

bohemian
11-16-2012, 01:12 PM
honestly? i hated it.

i wanted to like it, i too, grew up with them dudes.

but now, with stacys ever crappier "films" is just crubled into a random collection of grown men sobbing on demand. it felt weird looking at them, one by one being told to get in touch with their feeeeeelingz. fuck feelings, fuck stacy, fuck bones brigade.

seeing cabs crocked neck at age zero made me grin tho. and mullens abusive father. lol.

heshfield
11-16-2012, 02:11 PM
I got into skateboarding at the same time..I cant even tell you how many times I watched Public Domain, Ban This, and Animal Chin; at the video store practically every week, renting those same videos over and over. The Bones Brigade era was a huge part of my skateboarding experience.

But Fred fucking Durst? wtf? As soon as I heard he was in it, I lost all desire to see the film. Im sure Ill watch it at some point, but Im definitely not going to pay 16 dollars to see a documentary.

m.seven
11-16-2012, 02:35 PM
same here,i used to get so pissed at the video store if it was rented out.Animal Chin was the first vid i ever saw,and it was brand new then.
good ol' days...

thesignguy
11-16-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm sure my overwhelming approval has a lot to do with the setting in which I saw it. Me and my buds laughing at Lance Mountain like we did 20 something years ago. And Duanne Peters going off on Tony was hilarious. Had a bunch of friends that went to the St. Louis screening and they said they all boo'd at Fred Dirst every time he came on. I still think I would of liked it alone tho. And I heard about all the crying before hand so it was actually less than I expected. I know me and my friends molded ourselves somewhat to what we saw all them guys do on our overplayed VHS tapes.

replicant
11-18-2012, 04:31 AM
I have tickets to see it the 7th and 8th in Winston Salem, NC at a small theater it's being shown at.
Tickets were only $7 each so not a big loss. Going with a small group of friends (a few I used to skate
with.) and I am very much looking forward to it. I'll prob grab the blu-ray over the holiday sometime
just to have it at the very least.

pawnluvguitarist
11-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Rented it through ITunes. Was a good watch, enjoyed it all, was nice to see at least a few Mullen clips I hadn't seen before.

replicant
12-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Got to see it yesterday afternoon at SECCA (Southeaster Center for Contemporary Arts) in Winston Salem, NC.
There was 13 of us in the theater and from what I was told the Friday showing was sold out. I was happy that
the theater had seriously comfy seats, had artsy people giving us small dialogues about the film prior, and I was
able to buy beer and popcorn to enjoy with the flick.

As for the film itself I was absolutely enthralled. I identified with it pretty massively and it was cool to see other
people in the theater showing the same respect. It absolutely did not feel like 2hrs at all and was waiting/wanting
more. The parts with Fred Durst, Ben Harper, and DJ Whoever he was I could have done without. It would have
been nice to have stronger or more parts for other Brigade members. However, the presentation of those they
showcased I thought was done very well. It was awesome to see a friend of mine who absolutely knows dick
about skateboarding become a fan of Rodney Mullen and Lance Mountain simply because he could respected their
views on skating and the passion they showed for it.

I'm glad I got to see it on the big screen. Now to pick up the Blu-Ray.

m.seven
12-09-2012, 09:20 AM
this documentary just reaffirmed to me why Lance Mountain has always been one of my favorites.

m.seven
12-19-2012, 07:47 PM
sorry for the double post,but i figured i'd let anybody that wants to see this know that it's now on netflix.
worth checking out.

Fecal Face
12-19-2012, 08:16 PM
sorry for the double post,but i figured i'd let anybody that wants to see this know that it's now on netflix.
worth checking out.

Instant Queue?