PDA

View Full Version : Going to attempt to get funding for a new skate game. not skate 4.

Novel
11-29-2012, 05:50 AM
I've started a very long email that I'm going to try to get into the hands of a
Few people I think may have an invested interest in funding a new skateboarding sim.
I can't really say who I'm attempting to contact or why I think they will be forced to comply with an initial donation and or funding, but I'm fairly confident.
I'm no authority on the skateboarding community, or even the gaming community for that matter. If there is anything that anyone here feels should be mentioned in the letter, please feel free to add it here. Or email me: Christopherallensmith@gmail.com
I'd like to send the full presentation out by January, by then I should have a better idea at what the full picture will look like. I'm taking this serious, and will not take no for an answer. If I need to, I can dump my savings into this, which isn't great but it's not a small number. This won't be a sequel to skate. In any way, but hopefully something in the same arena. If you're interested in contributing to the letter, and have any reasons you feel could grab an investors initial reaction please, email me.

m.seven
11-29-2012, 06:16 AM
more power to you,but i gotta be honest with you since EA owns the rights to "flickit" another game w/o it would be a letdown to me.
i've tried messing around with THPS after playing skate and i can't do it,doesn't feel right anymore.

Slamooh
11-29-2012, 07:03 AM
i am really wondering if "flick it" is patented / protected... i've always heard you can't make a patent out of a software..
and a similar system is used in Stoked...

PoppySquidJr
11-29-2012, 08:11 AM
i am really wondering if "flick it" is patented / protected... i've always heard you can't make a patent out of a software..
and a similar system is used in Stoked...

I think the EXACT control scheme is protected, since the ONLY similarity stoked has is the crouch and jump control. I think you'd run into issues with EA if you had all the same fliptrick controls, though.
Regardless, I still play TH Proving Grounds on Sim Mode occasionally and have fun, I'm perfectly fine with a new control scheme.

Slamooh
11-29-2012, 08:40 AM
grab control is pretty much the same in stoked

PoppySquidJr
11-29-2012, 09:29 AM
grab control is pretty much the same in stoked

More or less, but that isn't related to the flickit controls IIRC. I was referring to the issues you would get into if you copied the fliptrick function.

Novel
11-29-2012, 09:38 AM
The fact that EA owns the rights to the 'flick-it" controls, is a point that, if i'm not mistaken was brought up by myself in a earlier thread.
I'm well aware of this roadblock, and have been almost losing sleep over a way to propose an offer to buy the patent outright. I'm well aware that
this isn't pennies and nickels we are discussing, but more in the terms of hundreds of thousands or low millions. Which is why this is the first issue i'm going to be taking on
when I find initial investors. Don't get me wrong, I am not a company, and have little experience with programming, and design. I intend to give the money to someone
who can take over. I want little to no part in the design, and distribution of the game. Making an offer on the control patent is the first thing that I'm going to cover when I start with the calls this winter (most of them set up already) I'm going into this with little experience in raising money and presenting a solid plan. I'm a teacher foremost, although I do have a secondary degree in marketing. I have a feeling that it's going to get very real, very fast and it might be a bit overwhelming if we actually see money coming through. I've got my fingers crossed, and i'm not going to pretend this is 'in the bag' already in any way, I know outright that this is a shot in the dark. I just refuse to play the same thing for years on end, when, with a little bit of initiative, we might be able to procure ourselves a little piece of satisfaction.

InsideManager
11-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Good luck.

iM DoNe
11-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Rockstar needs to buy the right to the flickit controls and then make a new skateboarding game but not skate 4. imo would be amazing

Antwan
11-29-2012, 11:21 AM
How hard would it be to buy Flick it off of them?
They don't support the series anymore.. very clear..
I'm still quite surprised the other skate servers are still online.
I had an idea for Skate 3 when it was in development..
Some kind of environmental flex engine.. or something.. I dunno what I'm saying really.
Things like fences bending in when they are interacted with.. not sure if it's a next gen idea but would be cool.
I'm honestly drawing a blank for additions man.. I can't think of what they need to add..
Flatground stuff would be cool, but could be a bummer if implemented wrong.
We want to avoid Tony Hawk Playstyle.
Hm...
I can only think of additions to Flick it in itself..
No comply kick/heelflips, No Comply 360 flips, etc.
It would be really cool to see some new grabs thrown into Flick it..
Not sure if anyone played Shaun White's Skateboarding.. Not a huge fan of it but the grabs were something else
The big air, Snowboarding inspired style grabs.. where you flip the board up and grab it to complete a tweak kind of stuff.

EternalRewind
11-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Rockstar needs to buy the right to the flickit controls and then make a new skateboarding game but not skate 4. imo would be amazing

and use the dev team from z-axis

Ladd279
11-29-2012, 01:41 PM
I think ubisoft will step into a skateboard game eventually, their really a diverse company imo

Ayreon
11-29-2012, 02:08 PM
With it so dead, It is a great opportunity to steal the fan base

yumpancakes1
11-29-2012, 02:15 PM
I think the flick it controls are like iTunes.
You can download songs from it.
Amazon you can download mp3's
Its the exact same thing just with a different distributor
I'd love to help this project.

PoppySquidJr
11-29-2012, 03:17 PM
I think ubisoft will step into a skateboard game eventually, their really a diverse company imo

Ubisoft made the Shaun White games. I don't trust Ubisoft to make any more skating or snowboarding games.

Novel
11-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Ubisoft made the Shaun White games. I don't trust Ubisoft to make any more skating or snowboarding games.

This is an excellent point. There's tons of politics that are going to get in the way of having anything get picked up. I was thinking more along the lines of a newer comapany. Or possibly even a first time developer. Who were the people that made that graphical interface, that looked like a salte sim, it was only a minute or so, just someone kickflipping down a small set? This shopping part won't happen unless we get funded.
I had a good interview with the owner of a few board companies, chain owner, and he added a lot of interesting ideas, actual fundraising. He's going to make some calls, but I'm hoping to get (don't laugh) Rob Dyrdek on a conference call. Granted he's still a fan of the skate. Series... By Conference call, I mean just telephone call. Haha.
I don't know at the moment, I'm just in a thousand different directions. I just want to play a new game, and help everyone else play. We shall see what the future holds.

PoppySquidJr
11-29-2012, 07:03 PM
This is an excellent point. There's tons of politics that are going to get in the way of having anything get picked up. I was thinking more along the lines of a newer comapany. Or possibly even a first time developer. Who were the people that made that graphical interface, that looked like a salte sim, it was only a minute or so, just someone kickflipping down a small set? This shopping part won't happen unless we get funded.
I had a good interview with the owner of a few board companies, chain owner, and he added a lot of interesting ideas, actual fundraising. He's going to make some calls, but I'm hoping to get (don't laugh) Rob Dyrdek on a conference call. Granted he's still a fan of the skate. Series... By Conference call, I mean just telephone call. Haha.
I don't know at the moment, I'm just in a thousand different directions. I just want to play a new game, and help everyone else play. We shall see what the future holds.
You're dedication to this is something to be taken seriously.
We may not get a AAA, super polished title but anything new can be a great thing for us.

unplannedman
11-29-2012, 07:45 PM
This is a good thread. I'll throw in an idea of a day/night engine.

Fecal Face
11-29-2012, 07:59 PM
PLEASE IF THIS HAPPENS PAY ATTENTION TO TEXTURES

the too-clean textures ruined the asthetics of S3

Permy
11-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Scott and Jay own flickit
not ea

also good luck

Legba
11-29-2012, 09:29 PM

Hell yeah! That would be the perfect way for them to make up for never making a sequel to Thrasher: Skate & Destroy!

Novel
11-30-2012, 06:04 AM
not ea

also good luck

I think you are correct, I have yet to get a response from EA regarding patent rights and so forth. I believe them to be the true owners of the rights. I'm having trouble getting in touch with either of these people, I sent out emails to all if not most of the main people who worked on skate. Months ago, and have to get a reply. These were the two people I feared talking to the most, but also had the most authority when it came to doing a new sim.
So now that we know who owns the rights to flick it, and thank god it isn't EA, because lawyer advised me not to do business with any major corp. Like them. Because they'd attempt to sell the patent on a lease type offer, that would include them making money from the deal long after the deal had been made. (Which is what I would do as well) it is good business. Scott I believe is working on other titles at the moment. And I'm already at another roadblock. I'm working on getting in touch with lil' Wayne's people, and keeping the numbers handy in case it comes to that. Who knows, he may have an interest in not only the skateboarding aspect but also the music. The guy who did the music for 'this is my element', David 'odd nosdam friend of a friend, has agreed to contribute for free to any project.
I'm going to regroup with myself this weekend. Get some more numbers, and try to not give up already. But finding out that EA does not own flick it ' has pretty much made this 70% more attemptable. I see this might actually pan out. It's a long shot, but damnit skateboarding culture is alive and it is innovative and cool.

m.seven
11-30-2012, 06:27 AM
dude,i love your enthusiasm for this and really wish you the best of luck.

Novel
11-30-2012, 06:36 AM
Well, i wrote this long reply, but it vanished.

As far as a musical soundtrack, i know people aren't too fond of skating to hip hop, which is why I was replying with an idea for
User generated radio stations, or the encouragment for players to use their own generated music.

The look and feel of s3 way not right. I agree. This will be addressed in a new game should it come to that.
I would like to see a skateboarding sim that simulates skating in the real world.
With a dirty, this is hard' kind of gameplay, it will be hard to do a tre flip in a real skateboard sim.
Which is going to be an idea that has to evolve. If it ever makes it to that stage.
It must, based on playability by all people who may want to pick it up. But at its core, must be a 'simulator' of real skateboarding
Which takes patience and practice. We will see.

I have this idea, i will try to explain in simple terms.
Most games have a camera system that allows for free adjustment (after)
The fact gameplay.. I'm proposing a game that uses in game camera placement.
Which will allow for a first person view, a fish eye, camera man style view while playing in real time.
This could create problems but again if we get there, this is my contribution and is not a comprimise.

Lastely, this will have to be a small game. The map will not be huge, the feel not expansive.
There cannot be professional skaters, given that I'm looking at a real budget of under
5 million. That's being generous. I don't know yet. We will have a better picture soon.
Perhaps after the first of Jan.

Keep some ideas coming. No pro skaters though, uless of course they don't mind not being paid
Until after the royalties come. Haha.

Novel
11-30-2012, 06:45 AM
How do you guys feel about the future, and current capability of the xbox360 motion capture?
Is this idea, killed in a sense because of its limited use and accessibity? Basically I'm asking if using kinnect is completely out of the question. It would in some sense allow for more allocation of budget towards game design and not aquiring flick it.
I'm pretty sure flickit is not a compromise either. You guys are partial to it. Correct?
Side note, I am not raising money to acquire the technology, to pass it off as my own.
It will remain the creation of those who made it.

Novel
11-30-2012, 06:52 AM
I'm also going to proposing to skate stores the ability to promote in game, for the use of their merchandising in the game.
Thats were money comes from. Selling out to active store. Haha. Oh well. The ability to go to an active shop in game and shop would be a dream of mine. Checking pop on a new board. Perhaps making the board shop the online lobby for players who conversing, and gearing up to film with each other.

I also have the idea of a sister game, that would solely be a park editor.
Pure 100% content from second seperate title, that would allow you much better usage of game space
For creating hyper realistic parks. That can upload into the skate game.
I'm on my iPhone, so excuse my grammar issues, and un thought out ideas.

Permy
11-30-2012, 08:22 AM
water guns
and animals

I want fucking animals

PoppySquidJr
11-30-2012, 08:29 AM
I want fucking animals
Regular animals aren't enough.

Anyway, I feel the kinect is a piece of crap that'll never work like it should.

m.seven
11-30-2012, 08:59 AM
motion controls,extra peripherals...none of that please

Novel
11-30-2012, 10:14 AM
you guys want like lions, tigers and bears?

oh my.

madsser
11-30-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm also going to proposing to skate stores the ability to promote in game, for the use of their merchandising in the game.
Thats were money comes from. Selling out to active store. Haha. Oh well. The ability to go to an active shop in game and shop would be a dream of mine. Checking pop on a new board. Perhaps making the board shop the online lobby for players who conversing, and gearing up to film with each other.

I also have the idea of a sister game, that would solely be a park editor.
Pure 100% content from second seperate title, that would allow you much better usage of game space
For creating hyper realistic parks. That can upload into the skate game.
I'm on my iPhone, so excuse my grammar issues, and un thought out ideas.

Your posts are too long.

Skatehead
11-30-2012, 12:34 PM
flatspots...
delams..
new stiff trucks...

all need to be added.

Novel
11-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Sorry about my long posts. I drink alot of coffee in the morning.

Ladd279
11-30-2012, 02:16 PM
flatspots...
delams..
new stiff trucks...

all need to be added.

Yes! Add a reel and park editor an I'm set

yumpancakes1
11-30-2012, 02:21 PM
how about a sandbox type game like roller coaster tycoon 3? just park making,reel,and some clothes

Novel
11-30-2012, 03:55 PM
how about a sandbox type game like roller
coaster tycoon 3? just park making,reel,and some clothes

That would kill the dream of getting close to the skater and obsessive attention to the small buy robust world I had in mind. But its not a bad idea, how do the rest of you guys feel about this idea of a roller coaster tycoon type of skate game. It's really unlike anything I had in mind. Now I'll spend the night wondering what type of features would make it stand out. Damned you!!! Haha.

Antwan
11-30-2012, 07:11 PM
I'll be honest all I want to see is a game with features added to Flick it or something very similar to it
If it's not this I likely won't pick it up. New Tony Hawk Games were still being released when I was playing The First Skate Games
but I was so hooked on flick it, it didn't matter. I'll likely ignore anything that doesn't match up.
I'm not sure if people are serious about realism factors.. but who wants flat spots?
I do so many Reverts/Powerslides I would be rolling around on squares for wheels if that were the case.
I think you should avoid mention of any real huge ground breaking changes.
I don't care what the game looks like as long as it plays like a Skate 4, if that makes sense.
Nothing too extreme like breaking boards or any of that other stuff.. no kinect..
Kinect enabled, sure.. but not the basis. I'm a controller kind of guy.

PoppySquidJr
11-30-2012, 11:03 PM
how about a sandbox type game like roller coaster tycoon 3? just park making,reel,and some clothes

http://skateandannoy.com/aa-sna-uploads/2008/06/skateboardparktycoon.jpg

yumpancakes1
12-01-2012, 05:31 AM
haha i meant it as a sandbox game like mine craft where your given a ton of pieces to build then you just build shit.

Mage505
12-01-2012, 09:22 AM
I wish you the best of luck. Just try and get almost every trick in the books. My suggestions:

- Day/Night cycle
- Double the clothing
- Custom shoes
- Realistic spots
- Better bailing so it's more like a ragdoll. Maybe add hats falling off.
- Tons of griptape
- Realistic clothing movement (like shirt flying up and moving to the breeze)
- Better sounds

I could go on, that's just a few ideas.

crni1976
12-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Hey, I have to admit your enthusiasm for this project is viral, but I do think that you need to think through very carefully where you want to be going with it before you sit down and talk to possible investors. Right now, it seems to me you are still headed in a thousand directions which is quite far from a proper project or any kind of business plan, and hence quite far from impressing said investors. Either way, all the best to you for taking this initiative! I hope you can work it out...

As far as a new game is concerned, I would personally like to see the return of the flick it system, although with more sensitive controls, since it is pretty damn hard to pull off subtle movements (I am thinking lip tricks especially) with the current controls, which often lack subtlety and speed. Same with the skater mechanics, I would like to see more fluid movements, both during skating and when off board.

Other good ideas in my book are definitely a day and night cycle, the possibility to throw or smack your board out of frustration, and the possibility to break a board or maybe even kingpin during skating, so you have to change your set-up. I would welcome more clothing as well, especially pants, and shirts.

And I would most definitely want to hear a better soundtrack. Although I have an eclectic taste in music, I am mainly into hardcore and punk myself, but honestly speaking, with the exception of a couple of songs, the scores of the successive entries in the series sucked some serious ass, and that needs to get improved. The thought of player customized or player created set lists crossed my mind but will lead to some serious copyright and royalty issues for sure.

That's it for now. Thanks for reading. Cheers,

EternalRewind
12-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Hell yeah! That would be the perfect way for them to make up for never making a sequel to Thrasher: Skate & Destroy!

Rockstar isnt the mind behind thrasher, they're just the publisher

just like black box is the mind behind .skate, not EA

Novel
12-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Hey, I have to admit your enthusiasm for this project is viral, but I do think that you need to think through very carefully where you want to be going with it before you sit down and talk to possible investors. Right now, it seems to me you are still headed in a thousand directions which is quite far from a proper project or any kind of business plan, and hence quite far from impressing said investors. Either way, all the best to you for taking this initiative! I hope you can work it out...

As far as a new game is concerned, I would personally like to see the return of the flick it system, although with more sensitive controls, since it is pretty damn hard to pull off subtle movements (I am thinking lip tricks especially) with the current controls, which often lack subtlety and speed. Same with the skater mechanics, I would like to see more fluid movements, both during skating and when off board.

Other good ideas in my book are definitely a day and night cycle, the possibility to throw or smack your board out of frustration, and the possibility to break a board or maybe even kingpin during skating, so you have to change your set-up. I would welcome more clothing as well, especially pants, and shirts.

And I would most definitely want to hear a better soundtrack. Although I have an eclectic taste in music, I am mainly into hardcore and punk myself, but honestly speaking, with the exception of a couple of songs, the scores of the successive entries in the series sucked some serious ass, and that needs to get improved. The thought of player customized or player created set lists crossed my mind but will lead to some serious copyright and royalty issues for sure.

That's it for now. Thanks for reading. Cheers,

Thank you for your thought out reply, and honesty. I do appreciate being taken seriously, and all of the great things you guys have been suggesting, and recommending.
I must agree however, that initially, I thought that I would just suggest that someone tackle the issue of getting the right pieces together to have people interesting in a new skateboarding game. I'm not entirely sure why I took any initiative myself, it's definitely out of character. As you'd imagine it's all a bit spread about on a desk, on a message board, and in my head. fortunately though, there is only one way that any accomplishments are going to be made, and that is support. I don't want money, and imagine that is a good place to come from. I'm hoping that this will eventually turn into a positive mission, that people will take seriously, but for now it's just down to getting the numbers together, others crunched, and arranging an initial idea. I will be sure to keep everyone posted on here, and share with all of you, before any decisions are made. because the reality is that you guys are the ones who inspired me. I thought the community was dying, but you guys keep the content coming, the positive encourage abundant, and that's what is going to keep me going. So again, just being patient, and crossing my fingers over here. Thanks everyone.

crni1976
12-01-2012, 01:11 PM
You're welcome. There's one more thought I wanted to leave with you... Watching bowl, pool or tranny videos, you can actually almost feel that moment of weightlessness to your stomach as the air or even liptrick hits momentum. It is very fleeting, yet almost tangible for a split second at the same time. I haven't quite experienced that yet playing the Skate games, or more specifically watching footage shot in-game, so it would be nice if it could somehow be conveyed in some future game.

That is all.

Legba
12-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Rockstar isnt the mind behind thrasher, their just the publisher

just like black box is the mind behind .skate, not EA

Thanks, now I know what a developer is! lol.
Well, then I vote for the team behind thrasher (if they haven't disbanded too). Those folks had a good feel for realistic skating.

i am a snail
12-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks, now I know what a developer is! lol.
Well, then I vote for the team behind thrasher (if they haven't disbanded too). Those folks had a good feel for realistic skating.
z-axis has been dead for a few years now

i'd be okay with some other rockstar studio though, north or whatever.

Boris Magee
12-01-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm going to be honest. I don't care at all about soundtrack, customization, grip tape, breaking boards, kinect or multiplayer features.
The sole factor that keeps me playing the Skate games is the engine. Nothing else.
Obviously there exist other important factors (mainly Park Editor and a well designed city), but that is it. The engine has to be precise, flexible and nuanced much like the Skate games today. One must never learn sight of that.

Ladd279
12-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Make some rails sticky....or beat up ledges

Dead_Head
12-01-2012, 04:04 PM
- LONG BOARDS
- SWAG
- NO HARDCORE
- MORE MEGA
- MORE GLITCHES
- ROLLERBLADES
- SCOOTERS (OBVI LOL XD)
THUMBS UP SO HE CAN SEE

but srsly we should all make a pact that if we win the lottery we fund a new game... anyways

My Ideas:
- Make a PC version (graphics, mods, custom maps etc)
I think a slider adjustment system for physics would be good instead of picking a difficuty. I.e. dialied in Adjustments for floatiness, landing forgiveness, "grind pull" or w/e (like on easy/normal how rails and ledges pull you onto them in mid air)
- how you flick actually affects boards spin (can spin slower or faster)
- Impossibles
- Switch is inverted controls and doesn't just swap
- a menu to select animations for tricks so you can dial in your style.that should be the tag line, dial in your style.

ok im done.

OH AND CRAIL SLIDES AND PROPER LIP TRICKS I JUST WANNA DO BACK DISASTERS ON A BARRIER ALL DAY PLZ.

ok now im done

PoppySquidJr
12-01-2012, 06:13 PM
I JUST WANNA DO BACK DISASTERS ON A BARRIER ALL DAY PLZ.

More skateable barriers, and making the skateable ones harder to skate <3

Antwan
12-01-2012, 08:57 PM
This talk of a new game made me think..
Skate 1 was argued to have the best spots out of any of the series, right?
Why is it that the sequels with arcade spots still have servers up and running..?
Sure Skate 1 had a few go big spots like the mega compound but at it's roots..
Satisfied realistic skaters?
It sounds a bit like the "best" out of the series, sold the most
but isn't online anymore.
Is a more realistic skate really the best approach to a skateboarding series re-entry?
Or do we need to maintain a balance between big and real spots?

andreas
12-01-2012, 09:36 PM
More skateable barriers, and making the skateable ones harder to skate <3

i just wanna do anything on a barrier

Novel
12-01-2012, 11:20 PM
i just wanna do anything on a barrier

These are all great ideas. I love the "dial in your style" idea.

I had this terrible day dream today, where I was being told that a console release wasn't achievable with the budget. We were forced into pc version only it made me a little sad, but I see that it would have made some of you happy Haha.

I've got all of your replies copied in a file and will go back over them shortly with everyone here. Make sure we are agreed on some of basic wants and desires.

No new news today on the contact front, but I did however force myself into a crash course on sport title console sales in the last 4-5 years. Hence the dream. Ha.

Anywho, glad to see your thoughts still rolling in.

Dead_Head
12-02-2012, 12:25 AM
A PC version would just be better all around in my opinion. Mods, potential for better graphics, and no ps3/xbox rage when a park is on the other system, the list goes on.

Novel
12-02-2012, 06:08 AM
This is interesting to me. I've always been under the impression that most console minded players weren't the biggest pc enthusiasts, because of the whole progressive nature of pc compatibility. I myself have had this thought, not being able to keep up with the daunting speed at which pc games require bigger and faster processing powers. If everyone is in agreement, and does not feel this way, a pc game would not only be less expensive, but easier to produce in the long run. I would like to get a general vote on the board as to who would be inclined to purchase a pc only game.
This to me, attempting to get money, is a great revelation..

Sidenote: I sincerely apologize if my posts become drawn out or otherwise.
I've recently become aware by others that my posts sounds a bit 'Douchey' in nature.
I would like to confirm that I don't have an ego here, nor am I trying to sound this way.

On with the poll!

i am a snail
12-02-2012, 06:31 AM
who would be inclined to purchase a pc only game.
i have a macbook so not me

Dead_Head
12-02-2012, 06:48 AM
i have a macbook so not me

by pc I just meant computer not PC specifically.
I honestly don't know how hard it is to get a game that runs on windows to run on mac, like if theres any porting involved or whatever it may be.

crni1976
12-02-2012, 06:52 AM
I honestly don't see myself playing a Skate game on pc, even if I had the necessary soft- and hardware. So console only for me

Novel
12-02-2012, 07:44 AM
I honestly don't see myself playing a Skate game on pc, even if I had the necessary soft- and hardware. So console only for me

Which is what I assumed the general opinion to be.

In my limited knowledge, I am assuming that pc to MAC conversion is about the same time and monetary investment as pc to console cross platforming.
I could be wrong, but I feel there are real issues with pc to mac gaming.
Keep the replies coming on a pc game though, I'm very interested!

yumpancakes1
12-02-2012, 08:32 AM
we should make a video with just one clip from as many people as possible to show that this community isn't just 50 people

JoyySkates
12-02-2012, 09:18 AM
"IF" a new skate comes out they should put better Skateboard and Clothing Brands in the game

knexzor
12-02-2012, 10:41 AM
I've read every post so far and wrote down some notes (WITH A REAL PEN).

- You stated that real pros wouldn't be an option. I think this is wrong. I have a strong belief alot of the 'lesser' pros out there would gladly be in a skateboarding game without getting a fat paycheck. Naturally the likes of Nyjah Houston are more prone to want profit but I think there are many pros stoked and passionate enough about skateboarding to not want much or any pay. Emailing and asking doesn't cost much anyway, I'd gladly help out with some dirty work.

- Hip hop is totally fine to skate to. In my personal opinion, soundtrack is not important because people will tire of it either way. I never listened to the s3 soundtrack at all, much rather play my own music. We could save a lot of money not having any licensed music at all.

- Kinect and that shit is out of the question. It'll never work out satisfactory. TH Ride...

- Boris' post sums up my views quite good. Walking, clothing, music, customization are all secondary. It's the feeling of nailing a rad kickflip backside tailslide we're all after in the end of the day, right?

Edit: Love your enthusiasm dude, keep up the great work. It's appreciated.

unplannedman
12-02-2012, 02:48 PM
PLEASE IF THIS HAPPENS PAY ATTENTION TO TEXTURES

the too-clean textures ruined the asthetics of S3
lets go back to OG graphics. Those were the best

EDIT:

I've read every post so far and wrote down some notes (WITH A REAL PEN).

- You stated that real pros wouldn't be an option. I think this is wrong. I have a strong belief alot of the 'lesser' pros out there would gladly be in a skateboarding game without getting a fat paycheck. Naturally the likes of Nyjah Houston are more prone to want profit but I think there are many pros stoked and passionate enough about skateboarding to not want much or any pay. Emailing and asking doesn't cost much anyway, I'd gladly help out with some dirty work.

- Hip hop is totally fine to skate to. In my personal opinion, soundtrack is not important because people will tire of it either way. I never listened to the s3 soundtrack at all, much rather play my own music. We could save a lot of money not having any licensed music at all.

- Kinect and that shit is out of the question. It'll never work out satisfactory. TH Ride...

- Boris' post sums up my views quite good. Walking, clothing, music, customization are all secondary. It's the feeling of nailing a rad kickflip backside tailslide we're all after in the end of the day, right?

Edit: Love your enthusiasm dude, keep up the great work. It's appreciated.

Let's get some secondhand/underground bands/artists in there, the ones tryina get noticed

Ohmidineffect
12-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Here's my two cents. As far as skateboarding goes I think the golden age resided in the early ninties where it was obscure and the followers weren't in it for just money. I loved the songs that people skated to, the graffitti'd grungy spots. SO if I were to have any input into a new skateboarding game I'd have the following to say:

1) TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR COMMUNITY. You have a community full of die hard fans that have been playing the game for ages. In terms of level design ask park builders for some help. I'm a real artist and would be ecstatic to provide input for level layouts and design.

2) I honestly would rather no pros. I really liked the IDEA of Tony Hawks Underground. Starting as a rookie and getting hype. Maybe as you gain respect as a skater you get invited to different spots and what not. When I was skating in real life, the more people I met was the more places I'd learn about and events I'd know about.

3) Don't limit the music. I'm a hardcore drummer but I love hip hop as well. My mom used to say, if you go in the cold with a jacket, if its too warm you can take it off. If you go without one, you'll stay cold and have no option out. So give me the option to turn off hip hop if I don't want it.

4) In terms of bailing I'd love to stay away from ragdoll or cartoony bails, take hints from real skate boarding bails and run outs.

5) THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ALL, INCLUDE THINGS LIKE QUICK CRETE, HAMMERS AND NAILS, SETTING UP PLY WOOD KICKERS ETC. AND SECURITY. Guys I don't know about you but I really like the challenge of skating what shouldn't be skated, more than CAP. Real life means we have to wait for the perfect time to skate when securities light or cut down a gate or quick crete a wall to make a bank or something.

That's it for me!

PoppySquidJr
12-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Here's my two cents. As far as skateboarding goes I think the golden age resided in the early ninties where it was obscure and the followers weren't in it for just money. I loved the songs that people skated to, the graffitti'd grungy spots. SO if I were to have any input into a new skateboarding game I'd have the following to say:

1) TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR COMMUNITY. You have a community full of die hard fans that have been playing the game for ages. In terms of level design ask park builders for some help. I'm a real artist and would be ecstatic to provide input for level layouts and design.

2) I honestly would rather no pros. I really liked the IDEA of Tony Hawks Underground. Starting as a rookie and getting hype. Maybe as you gain respect as a skater you get invited to different spots and what not. When I was skating in real life, the more people I met was the more places I'd learn about and events I'd know about.

3) Don't limit the music. I'm a hardcore drummer but I love hip hop as well. My mom used to say, if you go in the cold with a jacket, if its too warm you can take it off. If you go without one, you'll stay cold and have no option out. So give me the option to turn off hip hop if I don't want it.

4) In terms of bailing I'd love to stay away from ragdoll or cartoony bails, take hints from real skate boarding bails and run outs.

5) THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ALL, INCLUDE THINGS LIKE QUICK CRETE, HAMMERS AND NAILS, SETTING UP PLY WOOD KICKERS ETC. AND SECURITY. Guys I don't know about you but I really like the challenge of skating what shouldn't be skated, more than CAP. Real life means we have to wait for the perfect time to skate when securities light or cut down a gate or quick crete a wall to make a bank or something.

That's it for me!

Very good points, but the issue with the last thing is, while it sounds wonderful, it'd be very difficult to pull off, especially without a major developer.

m.seven
12-02-2012, 03:54 PM
all these little extras are nice,but in the end if the right feeling of actual skating isn't there it's all for nothing.
keep it basic...good realistic physics,good level design,player customization.the more extras the more it'll cost in the long run.

yumpancakes1
12-02-2012, 04:07 PM
GENERATERS WITH FUCKING LIGHTS
and a use audio from vx2100 for the sound fxhttp://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://b.vimeocdn.com/ps/173/126/1731265_300.jpg&sa=X&ei=IO27UJ29Ouih2QXX9IFw&ved=0CAwQ8wc4gwE&usg=AFQjCNG5Kb8kdC1-wEN7GU1QZjUbpABlYA

Ladd279
12-02-2012, 04:35 PM

That's it for me!

Agreed! I really like last one, and you could do it like s2 phone. Hit directional button and bring up a list of those items...

Ohmidineffect
12-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Exactly Ladd. My brother recently replayed one of the older pokemon games and told me about how some pokemon came out at night and others during the day. In real life some spots are easier to hit at night time it can't be that hard to do that. And for quick crete and things like that you could easily just have a certain type of obstacle be the type that you can customize.

A flight a stairs + plywood = euro gap/step up....a banked wall or barrier + quick crete = DIY quarter pipe, a hammer + a capped rail = un capped skatable rail.

The same way OG (or S2 I forgot which) had pool draining and un skatestopping it shouldn't be that hard. Hell you could even have it like a spot challenge where if you see something you can skate (pre set by developers) you trigger a cut scene that sets it up to be skatable.

I know you all want BARE BONES GOOD PHYSICS but you forget that at this point we are a cult following. So not everyone thinks the same, we also should make it new and fun.

-peace.

Ladd279
12-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Haha love the Pokemon reference ohmid, but he is exactly right. I remember just skating around until certain times where we could where we wanted

m.seven
12-02-2012, 05:56 PM
know you all want BARE BONES GOOD PHYSICS but you forget that at this point we are a cult following. So not everyone thinks the same, we also should make it new and fun.
won't argue with that,but what made me a fan of the Skate series was how much it felt like actually skating...way more than THPS ever did.
i'd love to see alot of these ideas happen,just don't want the core of what needs to be there to be overlooked by extra features.

Ohmidineffect
12-02-2012, 10:49 PM
I can definitely understand where you're coming from m.seven. But I REALLY want it to feel like skating haha. Can you imagine how the community would grow if you could share a DIY spot?

Like if I put a kicker down somewhere and it made hitting a ledge to bank drop that was once impossible, possible? Skating a spot at a time and seeing that security is less present around a certain time?

The biggest thing for me is a community feeling. I like the feeling of sharing things, even if the whole place was just ONE EXTREMELY thought out town I'd be stoked.

With the cap glitch in Skate 3 I've built EVERYTHING I could really want to build and there is still more to do so I don't need a new one. This one is pretty much perfect to me.

I'd love to have the option of picking a skate shop to send a sponsor me to and skating for a local shop and then riding flow for a team and then am and then finally pro.

Starting out skating open jams and then getting invited to competitions and what not. Events that make some areas more accessible. Like private team only TFs and shit like that. Like instead of making it along the lines of THPS, make it more rpg like in nature almost, gain respect and notoriety and more places and perks will come along and make themselves known.

Sorry for the long posts hahah the idea of a new game makes me giddy.

Ladd279
12-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Skate shop idea is gold!

rzrfvr
12-03-2012, 04:45 AM
Nice to see someone actually trying to get something started. Best of luck Novel!

There are tons of good ideas on Fluckit when it comes to new skateboard games but I think everyone agrees that first and foremost it needs to have a good engine – it needs to feel like skating. Street and transition.
That alone won't sell games to anyone who doesn't skate however and that is really the biggest hurdle in creating a realistic skate game.

How is this new game gonna attract gamers and not just skaters? That is the key question investors are going to ask.
How are you going to make it sell?

With Skate it was easier because the developers could point to THPS and say: We can do something that feels much more authentic and realistic. There was nothing like it when it was released.

I think if any new realistic skate game is going to get released it needs to be attractive to both skaters and regular gamers without resorting to what Skate and THPS did, namely adding goofy stunts, hall of meat, shopping carts, stupid stuff like that.

That is a tough nut to crack.

Jebotek
12-03-2012, 05:23 AM
only thing which could improve the current park creator, would be the ability to edit your parks during a session

yumpancakes1
12-03-2012, 05:25 AM
only thing which could improve the current park creator, would be the ability to edit your parks during a session
you could troll people so hard doing that haha

Jebotek
12-03-2012, 05:28 AM
you could troll people so hard doing that haha
that just would be the case for lil kiddies...

wont happen if you could set the Session to Private
would make it a lot easier to share ideas with your friends aswell as doin collaboration parks etc.

yumpancakes1
12-03-2012, 05:31 AM
that just would be the case for lil kiddies...

wont happen if you could set the Session to Private
would make it a lot easier to share ideas with your friends aswell as doin collaboration parks etc.
oh yeah that would be awesome

m.seven
12-03-2012, 06:43 AM
rvrfvr pretty much nailed it,the bottom line's gonna be profitability with any developer.
how to balance a new game to keep us guys in the community happy and appeal to the masses is gonna be the most interesting part of all this.

Demzilla
12-03-2012, 10:52 AM
havent read all replys but..

the way the flickit system works...is 100%...
the controller and the system cant really process more specific details and pressure at the speed the tricks need to be performed at..
so...
flickit...controls....are done...fine..they work....

the next skateboard simulator needs to look like a simulator....
the models for 1-3 are good but also resemble clay models....
i understand the game cant handle better graphics but it could be worked out with a new engine...

the game needs to play out like a version of red dead or dead rising....
challenges / sessions / hook ups / meeting / mag covers are all things that should be timed events...
be here or miss the fuck out...like real life...
red dead because skateboarding in a day-in-a-life sense actually fluctuates constantly...
random events like pro sessions / bumping into filmers / bets / diy set ups....all that stuff happens on the fly like in real life...

oh and i really like the idea of getting a phone call to go to the warehouse for new cloths and shit...
like thrashers warehouse / park....its kinda the same thing as having a shop for a home base sorta like s1....

omni..
you could save diy set ups in s2 and share them on the net...and online session with friends...
no one really gave a shit though....sad....

Ladd279
12-03-2012, 04:14 PM
I know mark the sith works for ea, so maybe he could help you out someway....

Ohmidineffect
12-03-2012, 08:14 PM
DEMZ Yeah i remember seeing that and not caring too much about it hahah. But I totally agree with you that would make shit edgy, people would find out about shit happening today and could post back to a forum and tell people they know about it. It would keep shit fresh. Like if you run into a pro at a spot he might let you know about an event or something or if you follow a big crowd of skaters you can find yourself at a spot you've never seen or an event. It would open so many different opportunities.

Antwan
12-03-2012, 09:20 PM
I remember skate 2 props glitching out and flying out of the map..
but something about them made them feel proper in skate 2.
Maybe I've just played skate 3 so long it feels different but
I want to say props were better in Skate 2.

Hitmanx123
12-04-2012, 12:08 AM
if this goes through and you do start a new skate game. PLEASE FUCKING TEST IT BEFORE SHIPPING. the bugs in skate 3 are so obvious it enrages me that it even go past the development phase.

Antwan
12-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Well it just makes me think..
I don't know that it's true, pure speculation on my own observations and kind've adding to what I've already said but
Are arcade skaters the reason Skate 2 and 3 are still online? It seems that way any time I play online
constantly placed into unrealistic spots in un-ranked rooms. I don't mind, that's how I started off playing..
I still do it once in a while.. love to see the craziest side of skate as well.
Other than Fluckit and Likebutter, who is really out there supporting the realistic side of the series?
We say we're keeping it alive but do you think we are really responsible for the servers still being online?
I don't know.. maybe a new game will sell well, assuming tony hawk doesn't start up again seeing that skate is discontinued.
Skate started off great, the first skating game of it's time.. sold great.
Ran itself into the ground? EA's fault? Blackbox's Fault? Microsoft's Fault? Sony's Fault?
I'm not sure how things work on sony's behalf but microsoft updates run at 20k! 5 game updates is 100k if that's true!
A game run purely on community feedback and a true effort from a great group of people
I don't know maybe I'm rambling off topic again. Just Think about it. Or not.

EG Fr0sty
12-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I want the clothing style from DefJam Icon
Use the unreal engine that would be nuts!!!!! Except if you get this started next year you realize that this game wouldn't be coming out till 2015 or if its indie Late 2013 early 2014.....
Good luck.....hopefully all his hype about a real skate 4 I've been seeing around YouTube is real.

andreas
12-16-2012, 04:37 PM
I'll suck your peeny if you get a new skate game made.

MagicNarcosis
12-17-2012, 10:44 AM
not ea

also good luck
I was about to say this ^

llamasrock
12-17-2012, 12:48 PM
I must say that I am super impressed with the amount of support you are getting from the homies on this...makes me remember why i ruv fluckit :) good luck to you and if theres anything I/we can do, just let us know

I will say that I agree that the next game should be on PC. Like has already been mentioned: customization. If somebody gets bored with something or wants something changed- they just make a mod and release it for everyone. Ordinary people could make the game what they want. Isnt that a big reason why Counter Strike is still going strong after all these years? people making maps and such?

llamasrock
12-17-2012, 12:58 PM
I'll suck your peeny if you get a new skate game made.

and umm....this.

Ayreon
12-17-2012, 01:06 PM
I will say that I agree that the next game should be on PC. Like has already been mentioned: customization. If somebody gets bored with something or wants something changed- they just make a mod and release it for everyone. Ordinary people could make the game what they want. Isnt that a big reason why Counter Strike is still going strong after all these years? people making maps and such?
exactly.

Bethesda did the same approach with skyrim and fallout. They are super open source. and think how much easier it would be to make vids. No need to uplaod to the site, then download. Just generate the footage right to your harddrive.

Make that possible on the console systems too. so people can just transfer it to their computer with a usb stick. Its a worth while thing to do. Even if the server ever die we could still make vids. and it would free up a lot of server bandwidth use.

SeksulChokolate
01-09-2013, 09:58 AM
There is a daunting problem with marketing a skateboarding game and that is to appeal to a wide variety of consumers. On one hand there are people who buy the game for the big air and massive bails and to have a bunch of laughs with friends. On the other hand there are consumers who are more attracted to the simulation aspect of the game and how close to realism they can achieve whilst playing the game. There needs to be a FLUENT transition between those two experiences.

In personal experiences friends of mine who do not skate pick this game up and migrate to the mega ramp. This is the case for most people who casually pick the game up. Because of this fact the game can offer a few designated areas for the "go big" causal gamers without sacrificing the integrity and realism that can be applied to the actual city. This is where skate 3 failed. They tried to make a city that would appeal to the casual player. Basically, creating a few "sandboxes" so-to-speak will be more than enough to make the big air wanters happy. This way you completely please both parties.

Also, as knex stated before, a big problem with the skate franchise was that they were too caught up with unnecessary details. They targeted immensely popular skaters and artists which cost them a pretty penny. By reaching out to more unknown markets (newer pros, ams, indie/lesser known artists) your game becomes a desired canvas for people to reach out to. These people seek exposure and a highly marketable skateboarding game will prove to be very appealing. As a result, more people become interested with the game due to the lure of exposure at a FRACTION of what it would cost to get big names into your game. This also adds to the down to earth, life like feel of the game.

That is all. /rant

Fecal Face
01-09-2013, 03:42 PM
There is a daunting problem with marketing a skateboarding game and that is to appeal to a wide variety of consumers. On one hand there are people who buy the game for the big air and massive bails and to have a bunch of laughs with friends. On the other hand there are consumers who are more attracted to the simulation aspect of the game and how close to realism they can achieve whilst playing the game. There needs to be a FLUENT transition between those two experiences.

In personal experiences friends of mine who do not skate pick this game up and migrate to the mega ramp. This is the case for most people who casually pick the game up. Because of this fact the game can offer a few designated areas for the "go big" causal gamers without sacrificing the integrity and realism that can be applied to the actual city. This is where skate 3 failed. They tried to make a city that would appeal to the casual player. Basically, creating a few "sandboxes" so-to-speak will be more than enough to make the big air wanters happy. This way you completely please both parties.

Also, as knex stated before, a big problem with the skate franchise was that they were too caught up with unnecessary details. They targeted immensely popular skaters and artists which cost them a pretty penny. By reaching out to more unknown markets (newer pros, ams, indie/lesser known artists) your game becomes a desired canvas for people to reach out to. These people seek exposure and a highly marketable skateboarding game will prove to be very appealing. As a result, more people become interested with the game due to the lure of exposure at a FRACTION of what it would cost to get big names into your game. This also adds to the down to earth, life like feel of the game.

That is all. /rant

this is so on point...

Mark the Sith
01-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Sigh.

I encourage the enthusiasm, but the approach to this is all wrong. Your best bet would be to get a Kickstarter going, but in order for this to happen someone will have to do a shit-tonne of work to even get a simple budget/business plan going. On average a game takes 5 years from conception to market, and that's if you're building everything from the ground up. If you have an actual working engine up and running cut about 1 year off that plan. If you have assets up and running deduct an additional 6 months to a year. Don't even get me started on modelling and physics, both of which are very time and money consuming.

Let's say you get the $5 million in funding. Who's building the game? Are you infringing on any proprietary rights? Who gets to keep the profits?

Everyone says fuck EA but goddamn, they're a business. Why did the Skate series get killed? Not nearly enough return on investment. Whomever invests the $5 million will want their money back, with profits on top. Where will this revenue be generated?

Not dissing the plan, just totally dissing the plan.

BladderBoy
01-09-2013, 11:26 PM
The only thing that will provide satisfaction is a moddable pc game. Flight sim nerds, combat junkies and racing idiots (like me) have it made. Each can rely on a community of gamers that have the tools, skills, and maturity to develop a perfect game amongst themselves. Unfortunately we do not have a base-game to work from, as aforementioned communities do. And I am not confident that the Skate community has the coding chops to pull it off anyway. No hate. Its a good thing. Comes with the territory. Most of us are right-brain creative thinkers, not number crunchers.

So all we need is 1) an open-source skateboarding game engine, 2) about a dozen programming and design geniuses that happen to skate in real life and have time to dedicate a good portion of their life to a project that promises $0.00 dollars in compensation, and 3) a large community gamers willing to share ideas, encouragement, and constructive criticism.

<crickets>

Anything less will be a disappointment. Stop skating. Break your board. Go back inside and lock the door. Everyone thinks you are an antisocial loser anyway. Prove them right. Go learn C++.

Seriously though, I'd lend whatever skills and knowledge I have to a project like this. If some of us older guys with a little cash pooled our resources together, it's not unrealistic to hire a tech student or freelancer for a few thousand dollars to dev a simple engine. Then all of us can go nuts on the code, call in a pro when necessary. Of course all of the donors would end up hating each other, but potentially have something to show for it.

Just riffing. Maybe talkin shit. I know nothing about anything.

Fecal Face
01-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Fuck, I'd do the concept art.

...I'd be shit at anything else haha

yumpancakes1
01-10-2013, 03:42 PM
BladderBoy it sounds like you've made a skate game before.
But Defiantly I'd do anything to help this project.
Maybe make a video where the proceeds would go to the funding of the game?
Just a thought.

Edit: Like a Kony 2012 type shit

andreas
01-10-2013, 05:57 PM
I think this new game needs naked players so I can watch tits jiggle while I do barefoot hardflips.

Mark the Sith
01-10-2013, 06:42 PM
I think this new game needs naked players so I can watch tits jiggle while I do barefoot hardflips.

This.

i am a snail
01-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Fuck, I'd do the concept art.

...I'd be shit at anything else haha

i could maybe help with this

Novel
01-19-2013, 06:20 AM
The issue at this point isn't even funding. That is still an issue, but the bigger issue is getting responses like "nobody is going to touch a skateboarding game if you hand deliver it to them on a silver platter". That's one response I received from a gentleman who works at a reputable gaming website. I was simply shooting ideas off of people I used to keep in contact with. It's pretty sad at this point. The only enthusiasm I've really received was from people at this board, and about 10% of the hundreds of emails that I've contacted.

The project isn't dead in the water yet, I still want to get this done.
Whoever mentioned kickstarter, I know, man. I know.
I'm working on getting a meeting with more people and hopefully putting a video together. If anyone knows any popular am skaters that would like to hype the project, I can take a plane out and put it on a video or something.
I know I haven't written much lately on this thread, and I hope you all don't think I've given up. It may take until 2015 to get this is the water, but I promise to not give up on it. I still think about this everyday.

I'm sure there's more info I could include about what I've been doing and who I'm talking to, but until I have a more complete idea of what I can deliver, I'll just say that I'm still going on it. I can't quit. I love all of your ideas, and I want to get this made. As a fan, above all else.

Antwan
01-19-2013, 01:44 PM
That's pretty rad man.
Did you explain to them that it would be different from all the other skate games?
Probably wouldn't help much but two to three bullets, worth a shot.
Just come up with some set in stone ideas. A Gripping Story, Memorable characters.
The Game's Play style can come later, yeah?
I don't know much about making these kind of things happen
but I think if you have the right approach and that enthusiasm
When you speak about something you have put time into making to interest others, it may show.
It may interest.

EternalRewind
01-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Waste of time, never gona happen

Antwan
01-20-2013, 08:11 PM
I don't know maybe the odds are minimal after seeing a game like skate fall
but the fact that someone has a certain desire for a new one after seeing skate fall..
Pretty Inspiring stuff.
Some of the best ideas are forged man, Just like anything else in life you gotta work at it.
Novel, You seem pretty serious about it. So don't give up on it.
Consider yourself a developer at this point, maybe tell them what needs to happen
what every one of your ideas and intentions are make a slideshow and business plan if needed.
Make the serious part about it known man.
I was also saying earlier there is some pretty good artistic talents around here just sitting.
If we all were to contribute a little bit to making this happen
I think our chances would be much stronger.
Instead of saying hey, we have an idea for a skate game.
We get our shit together maybe
make some Blueprints, Sketches, Concept Art, Lines, Dialogue, a Story.
So when it comes time to present the idea, you just gotta find that interest.
We could then say Hey, Here's the whole game plan.
Hand it over in a nice and neat package.
There's no grey area if we have it all together right? You're interested or you're not.

Stokenstein
01-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Good job sticking with it.

I think even if you don't succeed, that fact that you've contacted people in the industry and shown there is support for it is a positive. There is a market for a skateboarding game, I know it. Eventually there will be another skateboarding game, hopefully with Skate in mind while being made.

[Moose]
01-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Im just upset there's only been 2 semi realistic skate game serieseses pretty much in the history of ever.
The market is there, I dont know why only Black Box and EA were the only recent ones to capitalize on it

yumpancakes1
01-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Ever thought of taking this to the next level?
A 5 min video on what the next game should have.
Showing Awareness for this project!
http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://endaffirmativeaction.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/lets-go.gif&sa=X&ei=3rn-ULSDGu_l8gGIg4GABQ&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNH47IMdh9txDgspL-G14Wx_slDaTQ

Goon_Panda
01-23-2013, 02:22 AM
Holy shit. Novel, fellas, I love you. I cannot believe the enthusiasm being put into this project. I'm nearly soiling myself just at the thought of the magic that's happening right now. There may be a slim chance of this happen, but fuck it, LET'S DO THIS!

Hitmanx123
01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
i here so much lets do this, but so many call of duty, farcry and netflix statuses on peoples xbox live accounts.

also i have a bit of knowledge of how to code. going in as a help desk intern for PopCap next week so thats a start. but yes if i dont see progress with this in a year i will take charge of it. not tht hard to get an idea pushed through if you have the will

yumpancakes1
01-23-2013, 08:27 PM
i here so much lets do this, but so many call of duty, farcry and netflix statuses on peoples xbox live accounts.

also i have a bit of knowledge of how to code. going in as a help desk intern for PopCap next week so thats a start. but yes if i dont see progress with this in a year i will take charge of it. not tht hard to get an idea pushed through if you have the will

it helps if you have tits.... ha

Goon_Panda
01-23-2013, 08:57 PM
going in as a help desk intern for PopCap next week so thats a start.

EA owns PopCap.

BladderBoy
01-24-2013, 01:44 PM
I have the XNA developer kit. I dicked around with it for about a year, and ended up with a few side scrolling test levels. Nothing at all worth anything. Basically spent time reverse-engineering templates. It was more of a learning process. Fun though. I am still waiting for Magic to send me fighting poses of himself so I can attempt making a fighting game...

There MUST be a skate game for PC. I am not sure what open-source developer software is best, but I know there is a ton of free shit out there. At the very least, some of us could pool our resources and make a room with a fun box and a skater that moves around. If we made it that far, we'd have a better understanding of what it would take to continue pursuing it.

If a forum community can develop a fully functioning 3d printer http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page, one can make a skateboarding game. Fuck anyone who thinks it's not possible.

I also have some contacts in app development. I'll poke around.

Antwan
01-24-2013, 03:56 PM
I've done some things with sidescrolling mostly 8-16bit pixels, nothing astonishing.
Even then the program I used wasn't standard html or anything, it had it's own code language.
I'd be down to lend skills for some kind of sidescrolling skating game, side project anyone?
I'd be a bit rusty but I could start making character templates and Level turfs again.

As for the next skate game..
I'm not sure man. I've never done any professional artwork nor have I ever polished my artwork.
If people start getting into it I'll contribute what I can though.
Hopefully napkin drawings are an ok basis for ideas haha :)
I think I could successfully maintain an idea guy position for this project :cool:

echoturbo
01-26-2013, 01:44 AM
i want to help but i cant do anything this need. I dont know the first thing about coding. i dont draw i cant really help
so I guess I play the roll as the Fan

zGinger
01-26-2013, 11:49 AM
I wish you the best of luck. Just try and get almost every trick in the books. My suggestions:

- Day/Night cycle
- Double the clothing
- Custom shoes
- Realistic spots
- Better bailing so it's more like a ragdoll. Maybe add hats falling off.
- Tons of griptape
- Realistic clothing movement (like shirt flying up and moving to the breeze)
- Better sounds

I could go on, that's just a few ideas.

I agree with Mage about his list and I like the idea of No Pros. Their should be random skaters. Like you would have certain locals that would be at one spot and certain locals at another spot. Their would be crowded days and then their would be those vacant days. Also a "Go Skate Day" should be added where you could skate with at least 10 people all at once in an online session or somethin' like that.

Hobbs
01-27-2013, 05:40 AM
i say add like vx1000 so you can film, im sorry im just going picture crazy!!!!http://thumbs.newschoolers.com/index.php?src=http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/407732_380195648735389_1504129809_n.jpg&size=400x1000

Hobbs
01-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Wait i've got an idea! We all know how Thrasher made a skate game with rockstar, called Thrasher: Skate and Destroy. So maybe if novel or maybe some of us could message Thrasher and maybe talk to them about a game. I feel like they'd be down to do it. Who's with me?

Hobbs
01-27-2013, 08:19 AM
Ever thought of taking this to the next level?
A 5 min video on what the next game should have.
Showing Awareness for this project!
http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://endaffirmativeaction.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/lets-go.gif&sa=X&ei=3rn-ULSDGu_l8gGIg4GABQ&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNH47IMdh9txDgspL-G14Wx_slDaTQ

also i agree with this, we should make a vid or something! And do what he said!

Hitmanx123
01-27-2013, 12:40 PM
EA owns PopCap.

beenhadknown

Chikatilo333
02-27-2013, 04:25 AM
Wait i've got an idea! We all know how Thrasher made a skate game with rockstar, called Thrasher: Skate and Destroy. So maybe if novel or maybe some of us could message Thrasher and maybe talk to them about a game. I feel like they'd be down to do it. Who's with me?

This!

Ayreon
02-27-2013, 03:26 PM
kinda random but I just thought this might be realistic.

Someone know anything about getting a game onto the steam network? They have a crapload of indie games. Some have a free-to-play business model.

Fecal Face
02-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Getting Trasher to do another game would be fucking PERFECT. I highly doubt they have the funds for that though.

Gotta remember that the magazine market isn't super good.

PoppySquidJr
02-27-2013, 06:15 PM
kinda random but I just thought this might be realistic.

Someone know anything about getting a game onto the steam network? They have a crapload of indie games. Some have a free-to-play business model.

Getting a game greenlit on steam is an odd process. I'll have to figure it out eventually, myself.

Ayreon
02-27-2013, 06:22 PM
y's that. you a game developer?