PDA

View Full Version : How do you innovate your e-skating?

Hitmanx123
12-04-2012, 12:14 AM
So..i've been here a while. Seen a lot of e-skating. Seen alot of good skating...and more bad. I've always asked myself when filming, "is this shit better than the shit i put out last time?" and then i end up re-doing my whole trick because its not good enough or not challenging enough. I say this to ask you this question, or questions as it were.

Do you think you've progressed in your e-skating since you've started playing skate?
How do you think you've progressed?
Do up the antee each time you make a part/solo?

I guess i bring this up mostly because ive seen a lot of people progress and put out incredible shit vs a lot of people who have been around and switch up maybe 2 or 3 trick everytime i see their part. I know its a game, but in all honesty, make it challenging in some way. I'm not asking for a 5-10 minute part of double-grind bangers, but just think about the trick your doing and if they really are different than what youve put out for the last 1-5 years.

Legba
12-04-2012, 01:29 AM
Yes, I definitely have progressed. But as far as innovation? That partially depends on CAPs for me personally nowadays. I mean, after skating all of the in-game spots for x amount of hours, it becomes really hard for me to do anything SOO different. I might do something faster or slightly varied than before, but not so much NEW.

CAPS kinda force me to mix my shit up in order to get the most out of em. Then, no matter where I skate, my perspectives been shifted a bit. Which makes sense....cuz thats kinda how it is in real life (go figure). But I'm way more natural & versatile than I was when I first started playing. I feel like my lines dont look so calculated anymore & I'm way more precise at top speeds. Oh, & I've also gotten much stricter when it comes to what I consider to be realistic.

I don't really make solos, but I've been playing everyday I can since 07. So I can say that I definitely do find myself always trying to outdo my last batch of clips. For me, that's a big part of whats kept me playing.

yaaaay, that was a fun mini-essay!

momadaddy
12-04-2012, 01:43 AM
i have changed since skate 1 but been the same since about half way through skate 2's life cycle. i have never really had much of a problem find new stuff to skate or skating seeing a new line/trick in stuff i have skated before. i think the large amounts of booze/other things help that but i learned not to upload clips while impaired. when in doubt back flip it out

Jebotek
12-04-2012, 02:35 AM
i guess everyone improved since he started.
i always try to make my upcoming edit better than my last one.
there are so much little things which still make this game playable everyday for me.
since the feel of it is pretty close to actual skating, you always can improve your stuff
for example when i get bored of the street spots i just go and film some vert clips
the given city isnt the best for realistic skating, but there are still so much different ways to hit these spots, so it aint get boring to me
i personally just film what keeps me challenged and try to hit some spots i dont see in every second edit....
sometimes it takes me hours to get this clip the way i want, and then the day i upload some clips i dont like it anymore and delete it

Dead_Head
12-04-2012, 02:38 AM
I personally try to find the balance between realistic and hard to do in game.
Trying tricks or lines that are somewhat realistic but not to the point where I get it in the first few tries is where its at for me.

Antwan
12-04-2012, 02:39 AM
Skate 1, Day 1? Forget it.. tried to get the craziest shit done I could.
Big gaps and making highscore runs.
I've always had a unique approach I feel.. The Skate communities just helped me fine tune it.
My style slowly became some weird mixture of the two.
Through out the years I've fought with the skaters in the communities, not literally but in my mind..
My Videos are about bringing something new to the table..
Whenever I saw someone do something I thought I had invented and wanted in a solo
I scrapped it and moved on.
I avoid the norm on purpose, strive for difference and it can be challenging sometimes but it's what I like
That WHAT factor.
Sometimes I'll get ideas from real videos but usually stay true to being original
add something to it or do it a different way.
Probably sounds odd compared to others stories haha
I watch Videos so I know what to avoid doing. I'll be honest, That was the only reason for a while.
Over time I got more into watching what people could do.. it really is crazy how real some of it looks.
I joined up to the original skate forums a while back.. OATS and PawnLuv were really what made me
want to try some more realistic stuff.. I even had Pawn Edit some of my first videos.
We've done a few collabs together.. I've Come a long way.
I feel like I have only Improved because the people who watched my stuff Had given me advice.
The rest came naturally through love of the game and the constant inspiring content, Real and fake.
The only thing I will restrict in my skating is my difficulty.
I actually hated hardcore mode at first but that grew on me too.
So How do I innovate my e-skating? I Don't restrict it, I Avoid the norm.

Dead_Head
12-04-2012, 02:41 AM
^^^
nothing will beat the first days of skate 1 before I got a handle on the controls. I remember getting so psyched when I did feebles or tre flips.

Seanne1986
12-04-2012, 02:49 AM
Looking at my first video back in 2010, and then look at my latest video, it's like night and day. Think I've changed my style atleast 3 times as far as I know, and my filming skills have gone up massively.

I almost always try to make my new videos more innovative and unique than the last one, and I always try to make challenging tricks with perfect lock-ons, good camera angles etc, which is why it takes forever to do some tricks.
Also I don't always need to find new spots. Because my "fs 360" might still look super awesome with a different camera angle than someones "bsflip" down the same stairs for example.

Not all tricks are planned ofc as we all know. Some might be accidents but still look dope as hell that we decide to use in our videos.

unplannedman
12-04-2012, 04:24 AM
I'd say my fakeskating style has evolved over time. I used to be ultra realisitsc. Then I stayed realistic while going fast as hell for all the big shit. No I skate a bit slower, but still try to go pretty fast, while going for less big shit.

Fecal Face
12-04-2012, 05:18 AM
I just think to myself...

What Would Psychonaut do?

WWPD

brb making shirts for this

SK8ERatWAR
12-04-2012, 05:34 AM
It's getting tough for me at the moment, since I usually hate playing cap's, and just about everything has already been done in PC and san van.. but I also think that that's what keeps me innovating, I always try to find a couple of new spots and new ways to skate old spots, of course still staying realistic. in filming and tricks, I've progressed so much in less than a year, but I am certainly not at the top yet.

Thick
12-04-2012, 05:51 AM
I definetely try to be more precise, and more cautious to all the movements of my character, and the camera.

Earlier, if I spent a lot of time getting a line, I would get so attached to it even if it had dumb elements.. And if I landed something big/hard, I'd keep it even if the character animation looked generic and out of place. Got alot better at killing my darlings.

When it comest to accidental stuff, I'll definetely keep something that looks really fucking cool. BUT when I've set my mind to doing say a ledge trick with no flip out, I won't keep it if flips.
Also I'd end up with so many keyframes in my edits, it would look jerky - but i just kept them because i was blinded from looking at it too long. I got better at understanding the flow of the editor I guess.

I always strive to go hella fast where possible. I like things being realistic, and I like small, detailed twerky tricks, but I also love seeing terrain just flying by. I don't care for stuff that's small and ultra realistic just for the deadbeat sake of "keeping it real", when the terrain allows you to do the same tricks hella fast. I mean, it's a game. I can't bare watching someone rolling slow on flat in this game.. Won't watch 10 seconds of it. It's painful enough IRL, I mean.. it's not like you're going to hurt yourself in this game - which is the only reason I see not to go fast IRL.

As far as spots, I always skate around to find stuff. I don't keep a list of ABDs, but I'll never try to go find a spot I just saw in an edit. I don't like skating CAP. I just don't.

Got alot better at playing.. but it's crazy how often I get stuck at a trick or a line, doing the same mistakes over and over. The last edit I made didn't take long, but when I think of it there was so much luck involved in a couple of things. So this next one's taking a lot longer, because I definitely don't want to fall back! OMG fakeskate honour.. what an amazingly fucked up concept..

Things I plan to work on:
Finding more original ways to start the clips off.
I don't have the patience for shooting cut-scenes, slams and such. But I kinda miss them when I edit.
Too many 2-trick lines.
I have a hangup on heelflips, 360s and front truck grinds.. but I really do like them. So maybe I won't work on them.
Maybe skate some CAP stuff. But I hate the CAP textures. Just hate them.

m.seven
12-04-2012, 05:57 AM
i guess i'd say i've improved since i got into this whole fakeskate thing,most just filming wise.i've always tried to have clean tricks(locked,clean landings to the point of obsession).
i'll never have a fancy edit,i just don't have the technical know how.
right now it's just getting tricks that look the way i want them to look,be it how the head tracks or animations and so on.
i don't know that i've ever really uppped the ante but i try to have a few new tricks every time i put out something.

emericaridr11
12-04-2012, 09:05 AM
drugs

NotedDerk
12-04-2012, 09:21 AM
I find skinnies.

PoppySquidJr
12-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Bodyjar variatons :)
I definitely grew, my first vids were garbage but I stuck with pools well.

Skatehead
12-04-2012, 10:46 AM
I skate based off the newest happy medium and the tricks they do.

EmmitBrown
12-04-2012, 11:29 AM
in s1 and 2 i concentrated on tricks that Reda didn't like so he'd shut the fluck up, now i do fakie feebs all day

Dead_Head
12-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Bodyjar variatons :)

yes yes and more yes

agusbmxarg
12-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Do I think I've progressed? yes, of course. In many ways, the most noticeables are skating and filming, but also editing, and there's some kind of art factor that ties all together, like when doing themed videos (for example, Wiltz 'International Pool Service' video, it has a specific theme or topic, and it's consistent thru the whole video). I think I've progressed in that aspect too.

(when filming in game) "is this shit better than the shit i put out last time?"

I think I've never asked myself that. First of, I have like 40 minutes of ea skate footage online and I can't really remember everything I did but not also that. What hard and what's easy?

Is a double kickflip smith late shuv out hard?

Is a buttery-ass tweaked bs across a gap filmed longlens Jason hernandez status harder?

so, a bs air is harder than a double kickflip smith late shuv out.

I think the key to make great videos is to achieve an indifferent, 'careless' in a way, feel when filming, like you just landed that after cruising down the map, not after hours and hours trying to do the same thing.

m.seven
12-04-2012, 02:23 PM
god i wish i could be like that agus,i'm very obsessive compulsive so i'll keep trying something over and over.
everytime i just cruise around i end up trying something and just get locked on trying it.
that's why i love guys the likes of Granka,Wiltz,Gizzler and others who just seem to be cruising around and just destroying everything.mentally i can't get myself to skate like that but fuck it's so sick to watch.

agusbmxarg
12-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Being serious, I've never tried anything for more than 45min, being that, the fist time I landed the ender move in my Retrograde part. (landed that move first time like an year ago, put it on a vid that's no longer online because of crappy editing).
As you said, those guys skate down the map like they're controlling the character with their minds not a gamepad. I first started realizing about that back in the EA forum days with guys like Deacon and such (that's why I keep being amazed with their stuff, they sure stay true to the quality-over-quantity culture).

Lately, let's say, the last 3 days, I've been getting alot of stuff, like, I'm about to entirely fill the .reel's capacity. In 3 days, that's alot.
Sometimes it takes me a month to achieve that, even more. (needless to say, when I reffer to stuff I film, I'm talking about clips I really like. That's why you see my videos are very simple, not many skit/b-roll stuff. Because when I take time to film and compose a clip, its for stuff I liked how they looked during my cruisin sesh).

Idk, good stuff, bad stuff, the thing is, just play the game and enjoy doing it.

m.seven
12-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Idk, good stuff, bad stuff, the thing is, just play the game and enjoy doing it.
well said...i still have fun with it otherwise i wouldn't be here talking about it:D

pawnluvguitarist
12-04-2012, 03:21 PM
I was always just in the mindset every trick is a banger, make each vid better than the last, quality over quantity. I definitely think my quality control has got better over the years, and I know I've got physically better, really noticed that with the back to OG series, one upping myself on some tricks while at the same time taking much less time to do so.

i am a snail
12-04-2012, 04:30 PM
usually if i do something i think is kind of cool in-game i will film it but i only ever keep my best. i have deleted so many unused clips from my laptop that i look at and think "meh this isn't all that great why did i even film this?" or just plain old "what was i even thinking?"

and i have without a doubt gotten so much better at this game since i started playing. i don't even think that's disputable.

Fecal Face
12-04-2012, 06:55 PM
"meh this isn't all that great why did i even film this?"

my life story

thesignguy
12-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Haven't read any of this yet but I read your post Hitman. Has it really been 5 years?? Please shoot me and any of you other turds that have been here since the beginning.

DJMackRacer315
12-04-2012, 07:31 PM
I think ihave progressed a lot. for some that know me they would say i was sucked at first when it came to switch tricks but i kept trying to get better at it and i think ive gotten a bit better and im still progressing. I dont care who you are everyone still progresses nobody has every trick in the book. Its a process the you will always go through.

Hitmanx123
12-04-2012, 10:20 PM
didnt expect it to get this big, NB4 SHE SAID,
You guys have all cum a loooong way, keep progressing. just because the city sucks doesnt mean you cant make it awesome.

Hitmanx123
12-06-2012, 12:20 AM
guess its my turn.
Over my years of e-skating ive tried to better my parts each one i put out. I felt my best recent proof of that is my solo H.A.T.S. Watching it and then watching my hostle part from skate 2 i really noticed a big jump from a-b.

Now im working on my part for Poopin On Tha Yup, and honestly its the hardest ive ever pushed my e-skating. tricks that have actually taken 3 hours or longer. Spots that are like wtf....its honestly unbearable but worth it. Hopefully i get E-SOTY :p

knexzor
12-06-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm never going to be able to top my last solo, it had everything I wanted to do and I'm so pleased with it still. I guess I'm just regressing from here on...

Hitmanx123
12-06-2012, 11:43 PM
I think the key to make great videos is to achieve an indifferent, 'careless' in a way, feel when filming, like you just landed that after cruising down the map, not after hours and hours trying to do the same thing.

I mean filming is a progression in itself and you can simple tricks and still innovate them to make them feel fresh again. But i mean when i does come time to try a ttrick that may require 30 mins or more what sort of process goes thru your mind and do you try and keep that progression consistant

m.seven
12-07-2012, 05:20 AM
nothing wrong with simple tricks,i always look at a trick and think to myself like what can i do to add to it.
flip in,flip out,switch...on a ledge or a rail,shit like that.
in rl i'd spend hours,even days,trying to get a trick locked.i guess i kinda do the same with this game.

Thick
12-07-2012, 06:51 AM
didnt expect it to get this big, NB4 SHE SAID,
just because the city sucks doesnt mean you cant make it awesome.

that kinda sums up street skating, doesn't it..

I like simple tricks better, most of the time. If you keep adding stuff, sometimes you pollute the flow I think.. gotta let'er breathe! Plus generally I think a clean pop-out is harder to achieve than some flip, out of tricks.

m.seven
12-07-2012, 07:53 AM
i can see what you're saying thick,only problem with that(no offense to anybody)is there's alot of these vids with simple tricks that look clean but after seeing a dozen vids of low pop simple tricks it gets boring to me.

Thick
12-07-2012, 09:54 AM
i can see what you're saying thick,only problem with that(no offense to anybody)is there's alot of these vids with simple tricks that look clean but after seeing a dozen vids of low pop simple tricks it gets boring to me.

I couldn't agree more. To add to my own statement: I like simple tricks when the other aspects (speed, timing, filming etc)are awesome as fuck. And tech stuff is awesome too, when it looks right. I love this game.

i am a snail
12-07-2012, 10:44 AM
the thing about these "simple tricks" is that frequently people such as myself will spend twenty/thirty minutes or more trying to make it look absolutely perfect. these simple tricks are often deceptively challenging in a way. a kickflip across a gap isnt always JUST a kickflip.

i do see your point about seeing nothing but those in a video because there should always be a little variety but yeah.

emericaridr11
12-07-2012, 10:46 AM
the thing about these "simple tricks" is that frequently people such as myself will spend twenty/thirty minutes or more trying to make it look absolutely perfect. these simple tricks are often deceptively challenging in a way. a kickflip across a gap isnt always JUST a kickflip.

i do see your point about seeing nothing but those in a video because there should always be a little variety but yeah.

how about those lines where they do a tiny stair or ledge then do a Treflip on flat ground to sum the line up, thats wack!

Demzilla
12-07-2012, 10:54 AM
havent progressed at all....

5 years later and i still cant land straight...

edit...

i am the wacky wavy inflatable arm man of fake skate...

m.seven
12-07-2012, 11:16 AM
absolutely agree with you snail,i'm the same way.
i think for the most part those of us that have been around for a couple years or more tend to focus on making everything look good,basic trick or whatever.
there are exceptions to that for me cause guys like Sickone and Demz make a sketchy style look good.

Thick
12-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Yepp,when sketching looks right, it looks RIGHT! Especially in this game. I'd pick sketchy over perfect/square any day. And Snail: that's exactly what I was trying to get to.. the application and tweakage of the "simple", by radical method. The timing of the buttons. The hours. The hours! My family! Oh my god, what have I done?

SeksulChokolate
12-07-2012, 11:47 AM
The city was made to skate linearly. I guess I try to skate against the grain of the city if that makes any sense.

That's what keeps the game interesting for me anyways. For SV, NSV, PC, I look at all of them in the most unorthodox fashion as possible.
The best video parts, imo, have the most diverse spot selections.

Because we are limited to the game engine, spot selection kind of dictates our style. I'm happy with where I am now but I'm never content. I always look to do shit that's never been done. As pawn said, I look at each trick as a banger. But then again... it's a videogame so I suck.

i am a snail
12-07-2012, 01:18 PM
how about those lines where they do a tiny stair or ledge then do a Treflip on flat ground to sum the line up, thats wack!

http://youtu.be/gqpt8T6DZK4

Granka
12-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Tried to be realistic before, but then I fell in love with Eflixxx's videos which opened my eyes for "crazy" fakeskating and later on started digging Stevland's videos which opened my eyes for sick gaps. And... here I am today.

Hitmanx123
12-07-2012, 05:07 PM
havent progressed at all....

5 years later and i still cant land straight...

edit...

i am the wacky wavy inflatable arm man of fake skate...

Theres innovation

then theres demz :p

Hitmanx123
12-07-2012, 05:10 PM
absolutely agree with you snail,i'm the same way.
i think for the most part those of us that have been around for a couple years or more tend to focus on making everything look good,basic trick or whatever.
there are exceptions to that for me cause guys like Sickone and Demz make a sketchy style look good.
i love making simple stuff look good, but i guess idk its hard to explain. like for example

bs hurricocaine to ungrindable lipslide...

two minutes later

bs hurricocaine to ungrindable lip kickflip out.

like it doesnt have to be a drastic change from your skating but subtle things that stand out. and not just 180's... -____-

Thick
12-08-2012, 03:03 AM
Ahhhahaahaaaaa that video.... facemelter

Hitmanx123
12-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Like from this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNeWXN4hCb4

Hitmanx123
12-08-2012, 08:53 PM
To this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5smavl6Kd8

for me i look at that, and even though i didnt have the same exploits i had in s1 as i did in s3 i feel like the transition from "flo to pro" is quite apparent for me.

i am a snail
12-08-2012, 09:15 PM
To this

for me i look at that, and even though i didnt have the same exploits i had in s1 as i did in s3 i feel like the transition from "flo to pro" is quite apparent for me.
i'm so stealing 1:45

but yeah i feel like that change'll be evident in a lot of the guys who've been here for at least a year or two.

i mean, i went from this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y51quwrHO0

to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad__Jqd6qMI

and i still feel like i can always improve upon myself

Hitmanx123
12-08-2012, 10:13 PM
i'm so stealing 1:45

but yeah i feel like that change'll be evident in a lot of the guys who've been here for at least a year or two.

i mean, i went from this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y51quwrHO0

to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad__Jqd6qMI

and i still feel like i can always improve upon myself

went from private videos to downloading porn with davo

i am a snail
12-08-2012, 10:18 PM
went from private videos to downloading porn with davo

haha i forgot i put my older vids on private

i unlisted it. don't laugh it's so bad omg ._.

Seanne1986
12-09-2012, 02:57 PM
To this

Can't believe I missed this one.

So damn good hitman! Really wanted me to get some new footage. Best video I've seen in a while now!

Hitmanx123
12-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Can't believe I missed this one.

So damn good hitman! Really wanted me to get some new footage. Best video I've seen in a while now!

thanks man! see i try to get people to push themselves, by putting out newer different ish each time. i have a new part coming out soon, been working super hard on it so hopefully youll like that one too :D

Hitmanx123
12-15-2012, 07:56 PM
bump to hear from other people

Hitmanx123
02-02-2013, 02:13 PM
ANNND REVIVAL!

I have been trying to becoming more motivated to do better tricks and this video really made me think about the tricks i do and if they are good enough for the video im making and if the video im making is better than my last.

also a side note if anyone and i mean ANYONE can help me find the songs at 5:04 and 6:54 id greatly appreaciate it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YW6r4-BNI4

what paul says at 4:38 is pretty much my thought process for anything, skateboarding wise as well as for e-skating