PDA

View Full Version : The Boston Experiment

Antwan
12-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Well I've got the games I was looking to play going..
Just getting into them and this is the first time I've ever done anything like this with Assassin's Creed
I want to do something with Hitman Absolution at some point..
Let me know if you guys like this I plan to do some more and
it should get even more interesting when I Progress through these games and learn all there is to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96pX9gtfHKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96pX9gtfHKc

PoppySquidJr
12-25-2012, 02:27 PM
The problem with this as opposed to fakeskating videos is that everything you see in that video is EXTREMELY easy. :/
Assassin's Creed does a theme of making everything you do extremely easy, and making the challenge figuring out how you're going to approach a situation using these easy skills.

EDIT: I don't mean to be a big downer with this, I'm just saying this particular game isn't suited for it. I'm all for you showcasing skills in games with tough shit to do in a similar fashion, though :)

m.seven
12-25-2012, 02:31 PM
i just got this game along with a new ps3!
now just have to wait 2 hours for the data transfer between old and new system.

Antwan
12-25-2012, 02:56 PM
The problem with this as opposed to fakeskating videos is that everything you see in that video is EXTREMELY easy. :/
Assassin's Creed does a theme of making everything you do extremely easy, and making the challenge figuring out how you're going to approach a situation using these easy skills.

EDIT: I don't mean to be a big downer with this, I'm just saying this particular game isn't suited for it. I'm all for you showcasing skills in games with tough shit to do in a similar fashion, though :)
Hey that's your opinion man, No Sweat.
I guess a part of it is I like the new vaults, I mean.. as far as I know they are new I don't recognize them
but it has been a while since I played any of the previous games.
I think this game is fairly difficult.. Vaults on command felt like a challenge to me at least.
I wanted to do a straight Parkour style video but I guess it was too early on..
These guys were always around suspecting me. I liked the outcome, It was a challenge for me.
Maybe I just suck at the free running aspect but that's why I felt it was capture worthy anyway.

It's great so far M7, like I was saying.. feels Way more difficult and not just the free running the actual campaign is pretty rough. I've been away from this a while but it felt hardcore coming back in.

bengrover
12-25-2012, 03:09 PM
I see what you're trying to do, but this really didn't work. Nothing happened. You just ran. And not like interesting routes, just the basic hopping fences and roof jumping. Even the fight scenes had nothing major to them, simple kills and you took damage. Also seems like you included the glitchy kills and run sequences also. Nothing was majorly in sync with the music, just an all round unenjoyable nothing to it video. Like someone said, it required no skill.

If you was to tidy it all up, create unique interesting free run lines, a range of kill methods, flawless fights with quick succesion kills, in sync music, then yeah it could be interesting.

Just being honest, tidy it up and it could work well. Will look out for the next one.

PoppySquidJr
12-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Hey that's your opinion man, No Sweat.
I guess a part of it is I like the new vaults, I mean.. as far as I know they are new I don't recognize them
but it has been a while since I played any of the previous games.
I think this game is fairly difficult.. Vaults on command felt like a challenge to me at least.
I wanted to do a straight Parkour style video but I guess it was too early on..
These guys were always around suspecting me. I liked the outcome, It was a challenge for me.
Maybe I just suck at the free running aspect but that's why I felt it was capture worthy anyway.

It's great so far M7, like I was saying.. feels Way more difficult and not just the free running the actual campaign is pretty rough. I've been away from this a while but it felt hardcore coming back in.

The vaults are new, but vaults on demand are extremely easy. You hold the Right Trigger (R2 for PS3) and run into the fence. That's it. :l

Also like ben said maybe some free running lines you wouldn't normally think of, especially longer ones, might be a lot more interesting, things that really don't seem like the orthodox path. However, I have to disagree with him on the quick succession kills, after about 10 minutes of messing about it's really easy to kill entire armies of people without getting touched.

Antwan
12-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Right on.. I see where you guys are coming from.
I wouldn't think people had figured you could vault over the window structures on the rooftops.
I did a quick video search couldn't find anything like this so can't say anyone does them like this so that's cool..
I would like to find a way to cut out the whole HUD situation and just have cuts that go with the music for sure.
I really enjoyed putting this together. I'll work at it. Probably do another one when I get the controls down.

PoppySquidJr
12-25-2012, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't think people had figured you could vault over the window structures on the rooftops.

That's actually something the game directly pushes you through in the early gameplay, there's also certain doors you can push through to run through the bottom floor of someone's house.

I really enjoyed putting this together. I'll work at it. Probably do another one when I get the controls down.
Remember this is what it's all about, so whether or not we think it works, or whatever, as long as you're having fun then keep doing it man :P

Antwan
12-25-2012, 04:46 PM
I have to say I was pretty stuck on holding down the A Button I think it's X on Playstation.
I can't recall but I think Revelations and Assassin's Creed 2 Used that. So it threw me off a bit.
I Finally got passed the first Character in the animus, Holy Shit that plot twist haha.
Connor as a Kid.. Loving it. The Foreign language with subtitles is a bit much at times but The game is still quite enjoyable.

PoppySquidJr
12-25-2012, 04:49 PM
I have to say I was pretty stuck on holding down the A Button I think it's X on Playstation.
I can't recall but I think Revelations and Assassin's Creed 2 Used that. So it threw me off a bit.
I Finally got passed the first Character in the animus, Holy Shit that plot twist haha.
Connor as a Kid.. Loving it. The Foreign language with subtitles is a bit much at times but The game is still quite enjoyable.

Yea, Assassin's Creed 1-Revelations all used A to do anything really, they made it much more streamlined and honestly more smooth and flowy in 3. It just takes a bit of getting used to.

Antwan
12-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Well there is an option to turn off the hud for the animus in the game options while you're playing.
Just now saw it.. That's cool as shit. Glad that's there. Won't need to stretch the video size.

For the record, a vault is when you hop over something entirely.. not sure if we aren't understanding each other or what..
but I could not make either of the animus characters or even desmond vault over obstacles
without holding down the right trigger and A.
Getting around is a lot easier without using A but I could not seem to make vaults happen without the addition of the A button.
I've put something like 10 hours into the game so far and I am convinced this is the truth.

Fecal Face
12-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah this game looks cool but it's not technically hard to do this stuff.

You hold down buttons and run forward. It's nothing like button combos or anything. I'd much rather see creative kills and stuff like that.

Antwan
12-30-2012, 08:17 PM
When You Think about it
The game has things set in the world to jump on or over..
Nothing that you are able to do comes to mind that wouldn't be Common or Easy with that logic.
Flawless fights, sure. Otherwise, You like it or you don't.
I'm not playing Assassin's Creed to Manipulate the engine, I'm simply taking what I found to be creative routes.
If there were some way to do it differently I would. Skate is hardly a good comparison...
Skate barely limits you.. You can approach one obstacle a million different ways while Assassin's creed does not have that option.
I understand what you guys are saying but I just don't see much I Can change honestly.
I'll get more fluid at things over time as you do playing any game but I think this is one of those it is what it is situations.
I mean unless someone can give me a nice example of something "Not Common" I draw blanks with these odds.

Fecal Face
12-30-2012, 11:15 PM
One example would be doing a mission in an abstract way and capcarding it.

Or go on a killing spree without being detected.

EmmitBrown
12-30-2012, 11:47 PM
GTA works really well for this type of project

PoppySquidJr
12-31-2012, 12:43 PM
GTA works really well for this type of project

yes. yes yes and yes.

One example would be doing a mission in an abstract way and capcarding it.

Or go on a killing spree without being detected.

Also this. The easiest way to challenge yourself is to do this. Maybe taking out a Redcoat fort without getting DETECTED at all, using ONLY melee. That sounds pretty cool.

Antwan
12-31-2012, 03:41 PM
Haha if GTA had hidden blades, yeah.
I don't own any of those games anymore and I don't think I'll be buying them just to make videos..
Maybe when the new one comes out.

I was thinking more along the lines of using free roam in the animus.
There is a lot more you have to take into account when doing something while not being detected..
Challenging, also annoying.. Capturing frames is a timed process and the less the file size the better.
If I were to mess up a single portion of it I would have to exit the game entirely and or stop the capture when I do so.

I don't know.. if I ever see that kind of setup while running around I'll consider it but it doesn't seem likely.
I do want to do a playthrough and Show people how I went about the campaign.
Even then I probably did a majority of it the "Standard" Way.

I'm honestly surprised expectations were so high for something like this..
Can't say I've seen any Assassin's Creed Videos around here.

EmmitBrown
12-31-2012, 03:47 PM
no need for hidden blades...BIKE STUNTS!

but yeah i agree, there just isnt much that you can make happen in Assassin's interesting or different. everything you can do, youre supposed to be able to do. i like physics play.

edit: games like Just Cause 2 would be fun too...attaching a car to a plane and flying around, etc