PDA

View Full Version : "Sloppy" landings

Ayreon
01-13-2013, 10:48 PM
So talking sloppy landings....how do you feel about them in game? you get one and respawn?

Depending on which animation, I sometimes like the way they look and keep them in moderation.

One thing Punkinate told me a long time ago about them.

Something like "They look like the skater uses his balance more realistically than perfect landings."

thoughts?

Legba
01-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Hmmm, all depends on the magnitude of the trick that caused em for me personally. Like if its a tough ass grind, a huge gap or drop, or even a wall ride/bonk at an awkward angle, I actually like it. It makes the trick seem more authentic and better conveys the difficulty of it.

Now if its a slop landing on a slow moving flat ground shove it or anything that i would consider easy, then I dont like em.

Thats just how I feel anyways.

EG Fr0sty
01-13-2013, 11:22 PM
My problem....

I love seeing sloppy landings or even hae falls. My personal problem is that after the fith time I fall the raging starts kicking in and every time I fall or even look like I'm falling I smash that reset button and realize I could have kept that. But I like sloppy landings.

Slamooh
01-14-2013, 12:34 AM
it's still harder to get perfect landing :cool:

and i thing most sloppy landings are ugly as hell, they would hardly make sense irl

Jebotek
01-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Depends on the Look of the Landing itself, some of them look pretty bad to me

When I film a Clip i got exactly in Mind how i want it too look like before I start tryin

Sometimes i go for sloppy Landings though, but i never save them if they happen accidentally simply cause i dont like most of the Landing Animations

Imo Demz is the only one makin that ''sloppy Style'' workin...

crni1976
01-14-2013, 12:49 AM
Basically I definitely prefer sketchy landings, since these generally look so much better. But the thing is that I do want the board and angle to come out the way they are supposed to, yet with the skater trying to recover his balance or the position of his feet, which makes for great animation. Still, in a video it is important not to overdo it I guess, and to try to get atleast some clean landings in, with a few sketchy ones dotted around the place for authenticity.

NotedDerk
01-14-2013, 01:40 AM

by far!

SK8ERatWAR
01-14-2013, 02:55 AM

and i thing most sloppy landings are ugly as hell, they would hardly make sense irl
was gonna post my opinion on this, but saw this was exactly it..

I will NEVER upload sketchy landings, unless the trick has taken me so many hours that I don't feel like doing it again, but eventually I will end up not using that clip because I'll think it's ugly

EG Fr0sty
01-14-2013, 03:05 AM
You guys don't think that a video filled with straight perfect landings looks......robotic? I don't maybe it's my style I like going fast so it's a little harder to land perfect..atleast for me. But when I watch real skate vids I like all the clean ass tech tricks but then there's the trick where you say to yourself "how the hell did he bring that back under him" or "how did his board not pop out from underneath him" and those are the ones that I love. It looks like he put in more work to me because you know he tried to get a cleaner one but that just couldn't.

That's my opinion on it simply looks robotic to me.

Antwan
01-14-2013, 03:15 AM
Agree with bits of everything said..
Videos do tend to drag along for me when watching if everything is dialed in..
unless it's well filmed and or fast paced.
Sloppy landings do add a certain something to tricks as does
getting the trick different than intended initially.
While I have settled for accidental happenings I do my best to avoid using those tricks, if it was just a new animation or tweak or something like that sometimes I'll throw that clip in the video but I get a majority of my bangers from just messing around and then fine tuning ideas. I'm a very visual person, I tend to write down obscure trick ideas that come to mind when they do come to mind, just to have note.. then I can plan out variations of it and draw obstacle ideas.

schnavolda
01-14-2013, 03:30 AM
i never get sloppy landings since i land tricks perfect all the time.

for me, the aesthetics of a trick are very important. sloppy landings are a stylistic device which, when used correctly, can add a lot to a trick. but overdoing it by adding sloppy landings to a flatground trick or something everybody has dialed is just silly.

Antwan
01-14-2013, 03:54 AM
i never get sloppy landings since i land tricks perfect all the time.
I realize this is probably a joke but it makes me think
Part of the dedication to this series is getting back up to try it again
Skate always made you bail and hardcore can be even more relentless, unforgiving.
Every single little thing we do and put in our videos has a reason behind it. Really quite crazy.
I think that some people here have even started perfecting bails to get ones that look realistic.
Something I've just recently put to words actually;
If Everything you tried worked, Then what's the point in having drive?

knexzor
01-14-2013, 05:10 AM
I like sketchy skaters. Barletta, Dollin, Boserio etc.
That being said, I don't usually go for it like Demz does (mad respect) unless the trick I'm going for lacks substance.
Certain reverts and angled landings look super dope with certain sketch animations.

m.seven
01-14-2013, 05:49 AM
as Ayreon can attest,i'm pretty OCD when it comes to landing tricks.
it's more landing sideways than the animation that bugs me,i just hate seeing a trick landed that 99% of the time you'd just stop and fall forward with momentum.
really depends on the trick and how the animation looks to me.some look cool,some not so much.

heshfield
01-14-2013, 05:50 AM
Sloppy landings: No, Sketchy landings: Yes.

..but only if they are appropriate for the trick, seem natural and realistic, and look good. They tend to add a lot of spontaneity to tricks and give a sense of style to someone's skating.

Gizzler
01-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Sloppy landings: No, Sketchy landings: Yes.

^ this!

as long as my fakeskater maintains his travelling speed, i'm sometimes glad when these "sketchy animations" happen, while landing almost straight. videos with only "perfect landings" can be boring as hell i think.

what i think is really ugly, are these landings on style = loose when you master a big drop and the skater is landing in a way where he bends his knees and upper body in a very strange way.

madsser
01-14-2013, 08:03 AM
I'm with Gizz here.
Perfection is boring.

And as a guy who almost is doing exclusively lines, I don't get the right to complain when I'm 3 tricks into a line that has taken me 40 minutes to do.
Fuck I go with what I get.

bohemian
01-14-2013, 08:39 AM
lol in what way is demzillas sloppyness different? just because he started using those kind of clips first doesnt make him or the landings unique.

Demzilla
01-14-2013, 08:42 AM
ima re-title this thread "demz sucks" hahahahah....

love ya boh...

bohemian
01-14-2013, 08:46 AM
;-)

Demzilla
01-14-2013, 08:50 AM
in all seriousness...

no early crouch....aka immediate pop....
no head tracking....
no arm movement when landing what so ever..

peeves....

Ayreon
01-14-2013, 08:50 AM
I don't get the right to complain when I'm 3 tricks into a line that has taken me 40 minutes to do.

Yah I have to agree, we can be more forgiving in a line scenario

as Ayreon can attest,i'm pretty OCD when it comes to landing tricks.

Yes, yes I can. thought of you a bit when I made this haha.

I think that some people here have even started perfecting bails to get ones that look realistic.
hahah, Yah I've done that.

m.seven
01-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Yes, yes I can. thought of you a bit when I made this haha
thought so,lol.
deff agree with demz on the head tracking and the arm movement,i tried a trick for an hour last night but so many stiff straight armed landings bugged me.
been trying to fight off the ocd and loosen up

i am a snail
01-14-2013, 10:04 AM
i usually try to be as perfect as i can when i get clips but on rare occasions i'll get a sloppy animation that looks amazing. favorite one i try to get is the one where the arm swings down and forward. looks so good.

m.seven
01-14-2013, 10:07 AM
i like when your front foot kinda turns on it's heel a bit on some landings.
looks good on some tricks,esp. something really tech

fallingskyline
01-14-2013, 10:18 AM
i'm perfecting sloppiness!

BladderBoy
01-14-2013, 11:01 AM
I'd like at least 10 more sketch animations, half of those being specific to switch landings.

Ayreon
01-14-2013, 11:59 AM
hell, even more perfect landing animation would be niEc.

Common EA, at least port S3 to pc so we can mod that shit. (ahahah, that will never happen. I wish Bethesda made a skate game)

m.seven
01-14-2013, 12:05 PM
sloppy seconds is much worse to deal with

emericaridr11
01-14-2013, 01:13 PM

if i land something in real life, thats it........ call it a day, fuck a perfect landing

I like both

Goat
01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
You guys don't think that a video filled with straight perfect landings looks......robotic?
That's my opinion on it simply looks robotic to me.

Yesssss, thank you

exoskate89
01-14-2013, 08:15 PM
I try to make it look less sloppy as possible but sometimes it looks good for 180's and 90's when exiting rails or gaps...

madsser
01-14-2013, 10:58 PM
I've gotten to the point where I value an animation. Like Gizz, it can make a trick look so much better imo.

r0ke
01-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Depends on personal preference, trick difficulty and filming angle to me. I've always been more focused on the trick someone is doing moreso than it's landing although yes I do strive to keep things relatively clean.

The amount of time you've skated/been around skateboarding irl + your experience with the Skate series always comes through in your videos.

Stokenstein
01-21-2013, 01:29 PM
I use Loose, so typically the, sketchy landings look better than the animations for good landings, haha.

Skatehead
01-22-2013, 09:34 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/508aef2fb80f52d564aa2b8bb609efdf/tumblr_mh1fhbGZWr1rn7108o1_500.jpg

Ruben_Williams
01-22-2013, 11:33 AM
I like the wobbly ones lol

Seanne1986
01-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Some tricks look awesome when it's perfect. Like a perfect sw fs flip flat always look good imo.. But I usually go for both sloppy and perfect landings.

Ayreon
01-23-2013, 09:20 AM
I use Loose, so typically the, sketchy landings look better than the animations for good landings, haha.

ya true. i use loose. not sure what the animations look like for any other style. gotta use loose tho. best for low pop and I find the kicks in the other ones look fucking stupid.

Goon_Panda
01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Off topic, yet on topic - I've been playing around with grabs recently and I figured out a method of getting some grabs to look more realistic. Basically what I did was I moved the right stick randomly-ish, but there'd be a lot more emphasis on the 2nd or 3rd tweak and the others I would hardly move at all. I did this while doing a fakie tweak 180 off a drop somewhere and I nearly shit my pants cos it looked so realistic. Unfortunately I lost the clip.

Oh and I got a sloppy landing on that trick too.