PDA

View Full Version : Driving standard

K05T0N
03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Any of you guys drive with a clutch?

I'm learning it now, because when I master it I got a Jeep Wrangler waiting for me!

switchFooTexas
03-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Both my lancer and evo were stick before I sold them. Just keep driving, i was so frusturated when i first started I almost broke my hand punching a wall. After about 2-3 hours you should have it.

Just keep it up, there are no tricks really.

K05T0N
03-05-2009, 06:51 PM
yeah today was my second day giving it a try... first day i was superr pissed fuckin stalled the thing like 20 times got soo frustrated. Im starting to get the hang of i now tho only problems i have is going into 5th gear instead of 3rd and stalling after i stop at a stop sign or light

Roccityroller
03-06-2009, 04:00 AM
Just pay attn to the feel of the clutch and where the clutch starts to engage. Remember you don't have the put the clutch to the floor, just past the engagement point.

as for the 2-5 instead of 2-3...don't worry, i've been driving stick for hella long and i still do that shit.

joker
03-06-2009, 07:10 AM
I learned on a 4 speed honda. Wish my current SUV was standard. There's a much better feel for the vehicle when it's standard. I used to be able to light a smke, change the channel, shift, pick my nose, sip my coffee at the same time. :D

Roccityroller
03-06-2009, 07:25 AM
its amazing how good of a multitasker you can become. Elbow shifting!

joker
03-06-2009, 07:38 AM
skip shifting with the elbow....

Roccityroller
03-06-2009, 07:42 AM
no clutch power shifting with the knee?

joker
03-06-2009, 07:50 AM
no clutch, writing a report that's due, pencil shift to 4th.

Roccityroller
03-06-2009, 07:53 AM
damn, i've just been pwnd

joshmutiny
03-06-2009, 10:25 AM
stick shifts are the bane of my existence. i'm 27 years old and still haven't fully learned. my friends won't teach me because they're afraid i'll fuck up their car, because my girlfriend is pretty much convinced i screwed up her miata.

joker
03-06-2009, 10:40 AM
if you can skate, you can drive stick. gas > clutch(off gas) > shift.

What kills me is that I can do it for a car but when you change the clutch location on a motorcycle, I'm all effed up. :mad:

joshmutiny
03-06-2009, 11:25 AM
i mean, i'm ok at it. stopping completely, and especially on hills, are a pain in the ass. once i get going i'm fine. just not enough practice.

ChvyVele
03-06-2009, 01:59 PM
My car is a standard, I love it. It adds a lot more fun to driving, and you feel like you have a lot more control over the car. It wasn't too hard for me to learn because I ride quads and dirtbikes that are manual, so it's basically the same concept. I learned in my dad's Corolla, then moved on to my Mustang. Not much advice to give, just whenever you think you're going to stall or if you get nervous, push in the clutch. Just make sure you don't do it while your foot is on the gas :p .

Corrine
03-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I forget that my occidental brethern mostly drive automatics. Manual gears are a piece of pie, heavens if I can do it then you certainly can.

For me it's about listening to the engine and the 'biting point' when starting on hills. Little tip, when slowing down don't go through the gears rather slow down with the foot brake then go in to first once stopped, it'll save wear and tear on your clutch and gearbox.

K05T0N
03-06-2009, 03:00 PM
just got back from driving the wrangler again. Fixed the 2 to 5 instead of 2 to 3 problem, now the only thing i need to get down is starting back up at intersections and hills, but my dad told me thats the hardest part and everyone fucks that up

CrzBoarder
03-06-2009, 03:18 PM
best tip I got when learning to drive stick was

when starting up from a dead stop
slowly release the clutch till you start to feel the vehicle shake
thats when you want to pressing the gas

Corrine
03-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Hill starts are hard for sure. To start on a hill you have to balance the clutch and accelerator so you can feel the car wanting to go the best way I can explain it is that the car sort of 'lifts', then slowly off with the handbrake whilst at the same time slowly letting out the clutch and slowly down on the accelerator.

Starting of at junctions is the same as hill starts in a way just you don't have to give it as much clutch and accelertor as you would on a hill. One should have the handbrake on whilst stopped at a junction, least that way if someone goes into the back of you whilst you are stopped you won't go shooting forward into traffic.

I know it's a cliche but you really can't practice enough

joker
03-06-2009, 04:50 PM
hills scared me at first but what i did was just play with the clutch and gas at the same time and made the car just keep rocking. hard to explain but you kind of let the car coast back abit then gas, coast back abit then gas. you'll know exactly where that friction point is if you do that.

volcomston3d
03-06-2009, 05:45 PM
I drive a speed3 in a stick. The car is a freaking blast. As for starting on hills.... just remember technically you can make your car move without pushing on the gas AT ALL. just release the cltuch slightly until you feel it catch and then youll barely roll back on the hill.

Or you can throw up the handbrake, start like normal but once your car starts to move immediately release the handbrake

ChvyVele
03-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Pfft, Corrine, the only time I use the handbrake is after I park.

joyee
11-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Yes I always drive to manual car this is why because I am living at the top of hills so auto car couldn't be suitable for hills journey...

SK8ERatWAR
11-13-2012, 10:01 AM
stop bumping old threads!!

EmmitBrown
11-13-2012, 10:08 AM
driving stick is great, you can tell the car what to do so much more specifically. downshifting into a turn will always be a favorite feeling for me.

what in the hell? corrine is in this thread? STOP BUMPING DEAD STUFF

NotedDerk
11-13-2012, 03:29 PM
stop bumping old threads!!

THIS!!!!