PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen

tehwoot
03-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Saw this at the midnight release last night, fucking amazing... pretty much a copy of the comic. Go see it! :D

JLord
03-06-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm seeing it today.

K05T0N
03-06-2009, 03:00 PM
live up to the hype?

tehwoot
03-06-2009, 05:27 PM
in my opinion yes

Corrine
03-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm undecided, just like the LOTR films spoiled the middle earth in my head I fear Watchmen will do the same to how I percieve the characters.

Literature and comics are serious business at Cassa Corrine.

JLord
03-06-2009, 08:01 PM
I thought it was great.

jest118
03-06-2009, 08:32 PM
It's a pretty good approximation but if you've loved the graphic novel for years you'll be disappointed. I mean... they made a huge change in the ending. HUGE.

joshmutiny
03-06-2009, 09:09 PM
It's a pretty good approximation but if you've loved the graphic novel for years you'll be disappointed. I mean... they made a huge change in the ending. HUGE.

that's what I've heard. Diehard Watchmen fans seem to like it, but are disappointed with a lot of things. i'm still going to see it, because i've been waiting on this to be brought to life since i first read it 17 years ago. fuck that makes me feel old and depressed. i'm going to go drink now.

Nelson
03-07-2009, 03:58 AM
I might just watch this online.

Doesn't seem worth it to me, Only movie based on a comic or whatever I've ever liked was The Dark Knight.

greenlake
03-07-2009, 05:49 AM
IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE OR HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK, NOT ONLY SHOULD YOU HAVE NO INTEREST IN THIS THREAD, BUT YOU SHOULDN'T READ WHAT I SAY.

i was really, really disappointed. not even as a comics fan, just as a movie fan. the soundtrack totally took the importance out of what were supposed to be pivotal events in the movie. nite owl and laurie jupiter doing it to a funk leonard cohen cover? it turned it into a tongue in cheek joke. nite owl and rorshach walking up to adrian veidt's base while all along the watchtower's lyrics are "two riders were approaching..."? so corny. it was like a fan video for that song on youtube. the only character they spent any decent amount of time on was rorshach, which was awesome. all the others they were just like "oh yeah her mom was a hero" or "he used to be a guy but now he's blue and he's weird".

not to mention that glowing blue dick that was almost a character itself. i know i'm exceptionally immature and will giggle at even the mention of the word fart, but that was just distracting. i couldn't pay attention to anything else going on in any scene that was a wide shot of dr. manhattan.

it was promoted as this big "if you thought the dark knight was good, hold onto your ballsack" cinematic event, and it was just meh. it wasn't awful but it wasn't as good as everybody wanted it to be. the stuff you thought was awesome in the trailer is the same stuff you will think is awesome after the movie. alan moore is still pissed they keep turning his stuff into movies, i guarantee it.

Bud Muhnquai
03-07-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm seeing this tonight, really looking forward to it. I know it's going to disappoint me in one way or another, but I always knew it would. Still, prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

blackhawk17
03-07-2009, 10:32 AM
im seeing it tonight cant wait

jest118
03-07-2009, 02:37 PM
IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE OR HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK, NOT ONLY SHOULD YOU HAVE NO INTEREST IN THIS THREAD, BUT YOU SHOULDN'T READ WHAT I SAY.

i was really, really disappointed. not even as a comics fan, just as a movie fan. the soundtrack totally took the importance out of what were supposed to be pivotal events in the movie. nite owl and laurie jupiter doing it to a funk leonard cohen cover? it turned it into a tongue in cheek joke. nite owl and rorshach walking up to adrian veidt's base while all along the watchtower's lyrics are "two riders were approaching..."? so corny. it was like a fan video for that song on youtube. the only character they spent any decent amount of time on was rorshach, which was awesome. all the others they were just like "oh yeah her mom was a hero" or "he used to be a guy but now he's blue and he's weird".

not to mention that glowing blue dick that was almost a character itself. i know i'm exceptionally immature and will giggle at even the mention of the word fart, but that was just distracting. i couldn't pay attention to anything else going on in any scene that was a wide shot of dr. manhattan.

it was promoted as this big "if you thought the dark knight was good, hold onto your ballsack" cinematic event, and it was just meh. it wasn't awful but it wasn't as good as everybody wanted it to be. the stuff you thought was awesome in the trailer is the same stuff you will think is awesome after the movie. alan moore is still pissed they keep turning his stuff into movies, i guarantee it.

I think you're being a little harsh but you have valid points. The music was by far the worst part of the movie. I think they were attempting to give the vibe of the times that the story is set in.. (similar to Forrest Gump) but it just failed. Every single song felt out of place. What happened to the Smashing Pumpkins song in the first trailer? or the Muse song in the most recent trailers? Those songs matched with the feel of the movie. Not 99 Red Balloons.

SonicKaos
03-07-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm going to see it tonight, I'm expecting a good movie, but nothing great based on the mixed reviews from most people. I haven't read any of the comics though so everything will be new to me.

greenlake
03-07-2009, 07:22 PM
maybe i am a little harsh on it, but aren't you supposed to be? it's not like "oh zack snyder made an effort" because he had around $200,000,000 to make an effort with. he's not just some dude trying to make it out there, he was making what was said was the biggest movie of the year, and he fell flat. if it was some underdog sundance movie, okay sure, but it's not. you're supposed to expect more from movies like this. i didn't have lofty unattainable expectations, i just wanted to be told a good story in a way that leaves you in awe and connects with you personally, and this didn't do either. did anybody give a shit when there was the accident that made him dr. manhattan? or nite owl's freakout at the end? they made the "cataclysmic events" seem like a slight annoyance for the world instead of like "we're fucked so we better behave or he'll do it again". aside from jackie earl haley as rorshach and possibly the guy who played the comedian, i think the movie was really miscast in an attempt to save money.

i want to say the hype machine killed it, but it existed for 20+ years before the hype machine came along. i don't know what killed it, but r.i.p.

SonicKaos
03-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Back from it now, and I think it was a pretty good movie. It was a little long and the music selection kind of sucked, but it was definitely enjoyable.

I've never read the book and didn't expect a ton from the movie, but it's not hard to understand even without any knowledge of the series.

saunders420
03-08-2009, 11:28 AM
who watches them....?

Nelson
03-08-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm going to see it at imax today

jest118
03-08-2009, 01:42 PM
maybe i am a little harsh on it, but aren't you supposed to be? it's not like "oh zack snyder made an effort" because he had around $200,000,000 to make an effort with. he's not just some dude trying to make it out there, he was making what was said was the biggest movie of the year, and he fell flat. if it was some underdog sundance movie, okay sure, but it's not. you're supposed to expect more from movies like this. i didn't have lofty unattainable expectations, i just wanted to be told a good story in a way that leaves you in awe and connects with you personally, and this didn't do either. did anybody give a shit when there was the accident that made him dr. manhattan? or nite owl's freakout at the end? they made the "cataclysmic events" seem like a slight annoyance for the world instead of like "we're fucked so we better behave or he'll do it again". aside from jackie earl haley as rorshach and possibly the guy who played the comedian, i think the movie was really miscast in an attempt to save money.

i want to say the hype machine killed it, but it existed for 20+ years before the hype machine came along. i don't know what killed it, but r.i.p.

But in the end... you have to ask yourself... what was the goal of the movie? Was it really a legitimate attempt to bring the amazing piece of work that the original graphic novel is... to the big screen? Or was it to sell tickets and make millions of dollars using a well received IP?

Nobody enjoys seeing something they love get bastardized.. but I think a lot of fans have come to expect that whenever they apapt these things to movies. So as far as bastardizations go, this one was all that bad.

I definitely did get the feeling that the relationships weren't really established as well as they should have been. I mean.. it seems like Silk Spectre kept bouncing from one love interest to the other... which isn't the case at all in the original story. The changing of the ending completely changes the way Dr. Manhattan develops and the rape scene just made people feel awkward in the theater rather than further explain the complexity of the relationships of the heroes. And there was almost no purpose to even mention The Minutemen as they skimmed right over their development and personalities.

But, there really wasn't anyway to legitimately convey all of that short of recreating the Graphic Novel panel by panel in movie form. At least though, creating the movie has brought the spotlight back to the Graphic Novel, so a lot of people are reading it and experiencing a story they otherwise would've never known about.

greenlake
03-08-2009, 02:54 PM
But in the end... you have to ask yourself... what was the goal of the movie? Was it really a legitimate attempt to bring the amazing piece of work that the original graphic novel is... to the big screen? Or was it to sell tickets and make millions of dollars using a well received IP?

Nobody enjoys seeing something they love get bastardized.. but I think a lot of fans have come to expect that whenever they apapt these things to movies. So as far as bastardizations go, this one was all that bad.

I definitely did get the feeling that the relationships weren't really established as well as they should have been. I mean.. it seems like Silk Spectre kept bouncing from one love interest to the other... which isn't the case at all in the original story. The changing of the ending completely changes the way Dr. Manhattan develops and the rape scene just made people feel awkward in the theater rather than further explain the complexity of the relationships of the heroes. And there was almost no purpose to even mention The Minutemen as they skimmed right over their development and personalities.

But, there really wasn't anyway to legitimately convey all of that short of recreating the Graphic Novel panel by panel in movie form. At least though, creating the movie has brought the spotlight back to the Graphic Novel, so a lot of people are reading it and experiencing a story they otherwise would've never known about.

oh i'm in nearly total agreeance with you. i know there was no way to make it the watchmen movie everybody who read the book wanted. there just wasn't. i still don't think it was too much to ask for a good movie, though. not even as a watchmen movie, just as someone trying to tell a good story. it failed on the most basic movie principles. tell a good story and make the audience give a shit about what's happening and who it's happening to. for me, watchmen didn't do that. he could've gone true to the source material, big on action, or deep into character, and he didn't go full on any of those things. he did just enough of each one to make you not care about the others. while you're watching the action, you don't care about the characters. when they're giving you the bare minimum of background information, you want to see more action because you already forgot about not caring about the last one.

i don't think zack snyder was ready to take on something like that. warner brothers is stoked on all their new money though.

joker
03-08-2009, 03:29 PM
saw it today....meh....

great soundtrack

Nelson
03-08-2009, 06:49 PM
I really really liked it

tehwoot
03-08-2009, 09:10 PM
to much of a read with some of the posts just to complain about a blue penis...

greenlake
03-08-2009, 09:12 PM
oh are we not supposed to talk about watchmen? on an internet forum specifically designed around talking to one another? in a thread about the watchmen?

don't want to see it, i'd advise you to look away.

tehwoot
03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
nah, i just think you ranted for awhile regarding you being to immature for a R rated movie. They made the movie as the comic was, did the female nipples also ruin the movie? giggle alot?

greenlake
03-08-2009, 09:43 PM
3 sentences doesn't make a rant, holmes.

tell me it wasn't distracting, and i'll tell you you're lying.

and yes the female nudity was also distracting because their was no explanation of the moment for silk spectre II or nite owl II. they're passionate need to feel important again was turned into what felt like a drunken whim and seemed totally out of place. they rescued people from a fire then... oh there's his ass. and now she's naked. did i miss something? no i didn't. they just didn't set this moment up at all.

you're trying to turn me talking about bad storytelling into me not being able to get past a giant glowing dick, and they're apples and oranges here.

greenlake
03-08-2009, 09:44 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaand no they didn't make the movie as the comic was. for an example, let me cite the entire ending.

jest118
03-08-2009, 09:58 PM
nah, i just think you ranted for awhile regarding you being to immature for a R rated movie. They made the movie as the comic was, did the female nipples also ruin the movie? giggle alot?

In the comic they do not draw his genitals.

JLord
03-09-2009, 02:08 AM
and yes the female nudity was also distracting because their was no explanation of the moment for silk spectre II or nite owl II. they're passionate need to feel important again was turned into what felt like a drunken whim and seemed totally out of place. they rescued people from a fire then... oh there's his ass. and now she's naked. did i miss something? no i didn't. they just didn't set this moment up at all.

Really? You don't even have an inkling about why they might have been having sex after the fire?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DTSboJzUQzk/SIE2NWoKOrI/AAAAAAAAB5c/tgwT6CLIuGs/s400/Watchmen+04+-+10.jpg

And in this one he's obviously naked so why wouldn't he be in the movie?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DTSboJzUQzk/SIE1zaxO5aI/AAAAAAAAB5U/ItPGRptoeUg/s400/Watchmen+03+-+05.jpg

Bud Muhnquai
03-09-2009, 02:34 AM
I really, really enjoyed this flick. You could tell is was made by a fan, for the fans and all in all, I think it achieved everything it needed to.

Let's just say it was a lot better than that stinking monkey-bomb The Dark Knight - overrated piece of crap. If I hear one more person tell me they thought Heath Ledger was really good, rather than acknowledging that he put in a stupid, over the top, unnecessarily showy performance... I swear, I'm going to punch someone.

Heath Ledger: "Look at me I'm ACTING".

Christian Bale: "Look at me, I'm BROODING".

Aaron Eckhaart: "Don't mind me, I'm just putting in the best performance of this entire movie and I'll just sit in the background while everyone watches you two wave your cocks around."

So, yeah, what I'm basically saying is The Dark Knight was shit. But Watchmen was excellent - I'm a long time fan and didn't feel disappointed at all.

HARDatLURK
03-09-2009, 01:14 PM
half the reviews ive read of this have been terrible and the other half have been relly good..im not sure what to think about it yet..but ill be seeing it soon enough

Anjo606
03-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Movie was good, but had too many sex scenes, even with dr manhattan, nasty. i hated waht happened to rorshach though

jest118
03-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Really? You don't even have an inkling about why they might have been having sex after the fire?

Not without reading the graphic novel beforehand. You never get that feeling that they feel like impotent rejects of society watching the movie.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DTSboJzUQzk/SIE2NWoKOrI/AAAAAAAAB5c/tgwT6CLIuGs/s400/Watchmen+04+-+10.jpg

And in this one he's obviously naked so why wouldn't he be in the movie?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DTSboJzUQzk/SIE1zaxO5aI/AAAAAAAAB5U/ItPGRptoeUg/s400/Watchmen+03+-+05.jpg

So it's ok for Zack Snyder to change pretty large aspects of the ending but it's blasphemy to expect at the very least creative camera angles that didn't show as much nudity? It's not as if his penis is vital to the storyline. You can easily represent the man as being naked without resorting to showing his penis every 5 minutes.

And when all is said and done... do you think the viewers who haven't read the comic will put together the fact that Dr. Manhattan's lack of clothing speaks towards his overall feelings about mankind? Will it add depth to his character or to the actors portrayal of the character? Not in the least bit. If anything people will be distracted by it.

ERIKDOTCOM
03-12-2009, 08:51 AM
At least this movie did one thing, it started a really deep conversation.;) lol