PDA

View Full Version : Elegant Lines video 2 - Community Spirit

Bud Muhnquai
03-07-2009, 09:16 AM
OK, so here's my second attempt at a solo video - would really love some feedback on this. It's quite long - seven minutes, but I think it's worth watching to the end - please do rate and comment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xj1asUKv2M

Tried to make it as realistic as I could, but there's some arcadey crazy stuff in there, too. Above all, I tried to make the video something that was fun to watch, and hopefully it is.

Enjoy.

EDIT: The audio got disabled on the clip so I've shut it down for now. Back to the drawing board :(

Nerje
03-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Two things:

Some of your camera angles are the bomb, fun to watch and stuff.

You do loads of no comply tricks. Quite a lot of them are sick, except Skate 2 doesn't do them so well so it make a lot of them look awkward and unnatural.

I enjoyed it. Thumbs up!

Bud Muhnquai
03-07-2009, 10:04 AM
You do loads of no comply tricks.

Yeah, I know I have to tone it down with them! Next video will have 50% less no-comply action...

Thanks!

Roccityroller
03-09-2009, 05:43 AM
-Ok first thing that caught me was the intro, the panning shot was tight and the little hop down the stairs to land on the rolling board was pretty creative, really great way to set up the video.

:54 - That footplant varial off the stairs looked awesome! so smooth.

1:05 - was cool but the arm motions got kind of distracting, i think if you woulda got on and just turn to the tail without his arms flailing back and forth, it woulda looked a lot smoother

1:30 - didn't you already use this clip in the intro?

1:46 - i loved the no comply 270 board, but it should have ended there. That woulda been sick, but i think the hop to the other rail was a lil much.

The bail to start the oliver elementary section looked painful and i loved the way you filmed it.

3:10 - fast plant 270 board looked soo clean!

3:26-3:43 - That setup is awesome and that was my favorite 7 seconds of this video...so far. those transitions were hella tight.

3:55 this is a crazy gap, and the panning shot just before is an awesome touch, gave the video a nice storytelling feel to it.

Song choice for the Parkade section is great, the intro to that song really grabs your attention.

5:54 - Loving the footplant wallride and the footplant over the block right afterwards. Thought the filming on the 2nd clip was a little better though.

6:34 - I bomb dropped off that a couple weeks ago, but never thought of doing THAT. I like how you held the grab all the way through, made a crazy gap look semi-realistic.

The ending was funny, but a cool way to wrap things up.

Overall i would give this like an 8.9/10. The filming and skating was tight and enjoyable, but some of the stuff was just a little much for me. I understand what you're saying about making something fun to watch and I'd say you succeeded in that right. I watched this at 8am after being up til 2 playin' skate last night and i was able to stay awake for the whole thing (which is more than i can say for some of the vids i watched this morning)

I also really enjoyed the editing and song choice. I can tell a lot of work went into this section, and i think the work paid off. For a 7 minute video, it doesn't seem to drag on, get monotonous, or repetitive. There's interesting tricks, all the time, and some really cool setups.

Filming - 9/10
Skating - 8/10
Editing 10/10
Trick/spot selection - 8.5/10
Overall - 8.9/10

Bud Muhnquai
03-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Thanks man, really appreciate the watch and the feedback - it's good to have some specifics to think about for my next drop. Some really fair comments in there, though I couple I will counter on:

1:05 - yeah, I debated whether or not to use it at all but I thought it really worked with the music...

1:30 - yup! I wanted to use it in the clip aswell - it's basically going to be the intro shot for all my videos, at least for a while. Just suits the name, Elegant Lines, as it flows perfectly. (I think!)

1:46 - One step beyond! Just wanted to push out of reality a little and have something sweet.

3:55 - Thanks, I'm hoping to do something with a narrative structure at some point. I think establishing shots can be so important in skate vids, as trick after trick with no continuity is just SO 1984.

So, yeah, thanks again man, really makes it worth it when you know people are REALLY watching your stuff!

Roccityroller
03-09-2009, 05:57 AM
I know how you feel, posted my solo here, EA, and Skatethis and prolly got a total of 5 responses, it's just one of those things, i get over it, my team likes what i put out, i like what i put out, if nobody else wants to say whether they like/dislike it, it's not gonna stop me from putting out dope videos.

Bud Muhnquai
03-09-2009, 05:58 AM
I couldn't agree more - while it's great to be part of the community and put out videos, the person you're really doing it for has to be first and foremost yourself. I'll be dropping sesh vids no matter what! If someone else likes and watches, it's a real bonus.

Bud Muhnquai
03-10-2009, 09:51 AM
OK, so the audio got disabled but I've submitted a dispute. Going to see if the audio comes back when I get out of work. Might be wise to watch it while it has the intended music!

And of course, comments/ratings always welcome.