PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of my filming?

adecoco
02-24-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm in the process of making a new solo, I'm caping the clips with a capture card but I've uploaded one clip to skate.ea.com to get some advice and feedback.

http://skate.ea.com/gallery?contentType=SKATE_REEL&subType=VIDEO&platform=xbox#sortBy=MOST_RECENT&filter=ALLTIME&slice=search&galleryType=USER&subType=VIDEO&contentType=SKATE_REEL&itemId=2523950

XImortalDEATHX
02-24-2013, 06:23 PM
It's fine, just needs a dab of touching up.

adecoco
02-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I will keep trying to perfect it as I film more stuff.

schnavolda
02-25-2013, 12:34 AM
try not to cut out the board which happened two or three times.

up to the trick on the flat bar you follow your skater with the floating cam, then suddenly switch to a more realistic filming by stopping the camera on the manual pad shortly before you flip off it. that doesn't make sense. why not follow the skater with the cam the whole line, the manual flip out would have looked so much better this way. if you wanted to give the clip a realistic looking touch by stopping the camera it just didn't work here.

bohemian
02-25-2013, 12:57 AM
yea either realistic or not. this is both

adecoco
02-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Thanks to both of you, this will help me a-lot. So if I understand correctly, either follow the skater the whole line or stay stationary in the same spot for the line/trick.

schnavolda
02-25-2013, 01:48 AM
Thanks to both of you, this will help me a-lot. So if I understand correctly, either follow the skater the whole line or stay stationary in the same spot for the line/trick.

not exactly.

in a line it's hard to stay stationary and still having a good look at what happens. you need to follow the skater to a certain degree. the difference is in the way the camera moves.

in realistic filming, the motion of the camera is restricted to what is possible in real life. if your skater is followed by the camera man on a skateboard himself, vertical movement is only possible to a certain degree, so no going down stairs etc. single tricks like on hand rails are mostly filmed from a stationary position etc, just like you would see it in a real life skateboard video. lines ending with a gap result in the camera coming to a halt at the edge of the gap, like you did on the manual pad in the clip above.

in unrealistic filming you can do whatever you want. fly around with the cam to your heart's content. going down or up stuff, everything is possible.

in your clip you had a super realistic touch by stopping the camera at the last trick while having an unrealistic approach for the rest of the line with the cam flying down the stairs. this mix up doesn't work.

adecoco
02-25-2013, 02:40 AM
Okay, so if I start a line with a trick down a set of stairs have the footage start at the bottom of the stairs before following and if there is a cap across something at the end have the camera stop.

Antwan
02-25-2013, 02:50 AM
Just learn to film how you skate.
If you skate unrealistic film unrealistic. If you skate realistic film realistic.
I happen to skate both ways.
Started a tutorials thread, link in my signature. Maybe it will help, if not post up.
Tell me what you need to know and I'll get to it later today.
Keep at it, It comes in time.
The only thing I would say work on and I haven't even looked at your footage yet
Angles.
Angles are everything if you ask me, just don't film to far off
Find that perfect angle, bam!

m.seven
02-25-2013, 06:29 AM
it's a video game,film however the fuck you want.
use the advice given to fine tune your own style,not to please everybody else.

Antwan
02-25-2013, 12:01 PM
it's a video game,film however the fuck you want.
use the advice given to fine tune your own style,not to please everybody else.
I like being pleased.
He asked how we thought his filming was so naturally we say what we think needs improvement
based on what PLEASES us!
I hate it when people say this stuff..
Do it for you.
be apart of a skate community but don't post for others.
Sense to be made?

m.seven
02-25-2013, 12:45 PM
i meant to develop his own style based on the suggestions given,what's the fuckin point if everybody films the same way.
it's supposed to be your viewpoint of the game.
you say you hate it but get mad when the way you play is questioned..how's that for sense?

to the OP:kinda hard to judge how you film based solely on one clip,maybe put together a short vid with a variety of clips.

Ladd279
02-25-2013, 01:54 PM
M7 is exactly right, film how you want to there hundreds of tutorials out there for "realistic" filming but truth is not every skater skates same and not every filmer films the same. At the end of the day it's just a game and people tend to forget and claim because they don't film and skate like them. Just have fun with it and do what you want.

If you want good "realistic" filming check out some good tutorials I recommend dogtown or i think seanne had one. If you skate and film in rl, it's same concept

Ruben_Williams
02-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Yes its good, but abit squirally, just try to raign the camera movements in to be smooth as possible and someone else mentioned, u followed ur skater down the steps so may aswell have followed the whole line, looks good though and skating is good, having good skating is more important than good filming

adecoco
02-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks to everyone for the help! I'm hopefully going to be bringing out two or three solos soon, when will be purely in one location, I don't know where yet I'm leaning towards the Berrics, the other will be a regular solo where the footage will be taken anywhere and then I have a plan to make one called "Going Big" where it's a bunch of huge gaps and staircases so that will be pretty fun. Again, thanks everyone for the help.

zGinger
03-10-2013, 08:18 PM
I definitely agree with him

It's fine, just needs a dab of touching up.