PDA

View Full Version : The Skateboarding Questions thread

[Moose]
03-01-2013, 11:06 PM
I feel as though all of us have general knowledge of skating.
Some more than others of course, so I created this thread so you can ask skateboarding questions to skaters.

Wanna know why water is bad for your boards health? Then this is the thread for yo ass.

"WTF is wheelbite?" Ask in this thread, fool!

"Why does everyone love Mark Gonzales?" I don't know, but someone in this thread does.

You can ask questions in this thread without (too) much ridicule for your lack a knowledge in wheelyboarding.
So here's this thread, don't let it die too quickly guys :p

Antwan
03-02-2013, 12:13 AM
;137438']why water is bad for your boards health?

"WTF is wheelbite?"

"Why does everyone love Mark Gonzales?"
Damages Your Board, Weakens it. Easier to Snap when soaked.

When your wheels are too close to the bottom of the deck and
cause you to scrape it up and if it's bad enough it can send you flying to the ground.

He's an Innovative Skateboarding Prodigy.

Did you have a question Moose?
I feel like I could answer anything about skateboarding..
Can't say I'd be 100% correct but I learned most of what I know from other Skaters.

echoturbo
03-02-2013, 12:38 AM
this is pointless you can just ask briden

[Moose]
03-02-2013, 01:26 AM
Briden sleeps though...I think.

I dont have any questions personally, but if somebody did, I guess they could ask it here and someone could answer.

m.seven
03-02-2013, 07:22 AM
this is pointless you can just ask briden
true speak right there

Fecal Face
03-02-2013, 08:45 AM
This thread makes me sad.

NotedDerk
03-02-2013, 08:49 AM
If you don't understand absolutely everything about skating, get the fuck out!

Goon_Panda
03-02-2013, 03:52 PM
I'll just go ahead and use this thread for its actual purpose.

Is Jerry gay?

m.seven
03-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Is Jerry gay?
seinfeld,lewis,garcia,the mouse that fucks with tom..?

Legba
03-02-2013, 03:55 PM
^NEVER, gay Jerrys spell their name with an i at the end.

Where dafukk is Aquil Brathwaite?!

echoturbo
03-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Is Jerry gay?

i dont want to come to this thread anymore

[THEME]
03-02-2013, 08:41 PM
I'll just go ahead and use this thread for its actual purpose.

Is Jerry gay?
Are you referring to Jerry Hsu?

There was a video where he "supposedly" came out of the closet and admitted to being gay. Not sure if he was trolling or not though. I can find the video if you want..

Goon_Panda
03-02-2013, 08:59 PM
I meant Hsu. I've heard rumors and shit, I was just curious.

knexzor
03-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Why are you guys bashing this thread? I think it's a good initiative since obviously some people on here don't skate. Scaring them off can't be a good thing; I mean, wouldn't it feel better to actually help them understand and appreciate skateboarding and perhaps even encourage them to start doing it?

Could someone explain to me what pricepoint boards/products are? Came across the term on the Slap forum but I couldn't tell what it was.

m.seven
03-04-2013, 08:14 AM
i think this would be a good thread if some common sense is used,cause like you said not everyone here has that knowledge.
moose's questions are a good example,goon..sorry but asking if Jerry Hsu is gay isn't.
i believe pricepoint products are stuff like blanks,shop decks,etc.

Goon_Panda
03-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Why did they get rid of Carlsbad?

schnavolda
03-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Why did they get rid of Carlsbad?

they were rebuilding the whole school campus the gap was located on.

Hitmanx123
03-04-2013, 02:20 PM
I meant Hsu. I've heard rumors and shit, I was just curious.

bi curious it seems :o

The Mike
03-04-2013, 03:00 PM
what ever happened to people using google to search things they want to know about

BladderBoy
03-04-2013, 04:02 PM
what ever happened to people using google to search things they want to know about

Maybe you should Google it.

briden
03-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Why are you guys bashing this thread? I think it's a good initiative since obviously some people on here don't skate. Scaring them off can't be a good thing; I mean, wouldn't it feel better to actually help them understand and appreciate skateboarding and perhaps even encourage them to start doing it?

Could someone explain to me what pricepoint boards/products are? Came across the term on the Slap forum but I couldn't tell what it was.

Typically M7's explanation is right, no pro name means no royalties, or less colors are used so they cost less, but always be wary. Some companies use chinese wood for their price points, and canadian wood for the legit boards, so be mindful that sometimes you're really sacrificing the quality of your board for a few bucks.

Oddity
03-04-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm pretty sure these are jokes but do any of these terms actually exist in skateboarding: raver babies, beer cats, goth juggler, ringworm tinkletoes, tuba tuva, whatgrass wamper, and zodiac boofer. All terms on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpWozptg1rA

knexzor
03-05-2013, 08:44 AM
I have another question:
What is the reason for removing the 'lids' on bearings? I've been skating for about 10 years and never done it, have I been missing out?

schnavolda
03-05-2013, 08:50 AM
I have another question:
What is the reason for removing the 'lids' on bearings? I've been skating for about 10 years and never done it, have I been missing out?

if you want to clean them you could take them off but have to put them back on again afterwards. they are there to protect the bearing so removing them when skating makes no sense at all.

m.seven
03-05-2013, 08:54 AM
i knew guys that did it,claimed it made the bearings spin faster due to less friction from removing the shields.pretty sure they were full of shit.
i always bought the swiss bearings so no way i was gonna take em off,not with how much they cost.

Fecal Face
03-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Most pros in the early 2000's took off their bearing shields. Don't ask me why.

Legba
03-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah, the rationale behind removing the shields is that it reduces friction and increases speed. I think its true. I used to do it in high school.....but I've always been rough on bearings...balls out...so I keep em on now. Abec 7 Black Panthers since 03.

& Oddity: I'm gonna ahead and say those are all joke terms. But if you're hankerin' for some odd skating terms, heres some weirdo Cali terms that never caught on with skating as a whole:
-Banana Foot: A term used to describe when someone lands a trick with their toe(s) hanging over the edge of their deck & touching the gorund (AKA Toe Touch/Drag).
-Apple Foot: Same as above^, but for heel(s).

pawnluvguitarist
03-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I used to clean my bearings a lot, never popped off the shields though, seemed like a little too much effort and I didn't wanna fuck things up. Been skating Bones Swiss labyrinths for a few years now. Great bearings, didn't really notice any reduction in quality compared to the more expensive bones Swiss that I've used in the past.

llamasrock
03-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Reds all the way! less than 20 bucks at my local shop and theyve served me perfectly for years

Legba
03-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Yeah, you can never knock Reds' value. I think they were $12 at my local shop when I first started, then 14 a few years later. I dunno how much they are now lol. Rattle & Roll.

I've had a couple pairs of Labyrinths Pawn, they're ghostly-smooth!

Antwan
03-05-2013, 11:41 PM
I haven't picked out a full setup in a few years but Reds were pretty standard.
Now I Tend to roll with "Burner" Decks and everything else Generic.
Guess I just stopped caring.. It never really affected the quality of my enjoyment when skating.
I was even a bit rash to approach an oldschool board but I got it as a gift, Learned to use it. No different.

Bearings get dirty. Just like everything else, You need to maintain it.
Guess it comes with buying brands. Haven't really felt the need to keep up with anything Lately.

Actually couldn't answer Knexzor's Posts. More to learn. Keep the thread.

Slamooh
03-06-2013, 12:20 AM
be sure that removing shields on bearings is retarded
less friction = bullshit

/ engineer in mechanics

Legba
03-06-2013, 01:12 PM
^Besides that, you're getting rid of their best defense against the elements. So they get all grimy a lot quicker.
So, do you think pro's just do it cuz it looks cooler?

pawnluvguitarist
03-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Yeah, you can never knock Reds' value. I think they were $12 at my local shop when I first started, then 14 a few years later. I dunno how much they are now lol. Rattle & Roll.

I've had a couple pairs of Labyrinths Pawn, they're ghostly-smooth!

Yeah, after trying all the different bones Swiss, the Labyrinths really are the best bang for your buck. I tried the Ceramics once, they were great, just too expensive

Antwan
03-06-2013, 01:58 PM
^Besides that, you're getting rid of their best defense against the elements. So they get all grimy a lot quicker.
I bet they do and I bet they just throw the whole board out and get a new one when they get dirty.
Oh, Bearings are shot. Send me some new boards stat.

Fecal Face
03-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Pros do it for the ritual. Just like some people microwave their shoes.

For the record, I microwave my Adidas.

Anyways, yeah if you pop off the shields your skating gets hella loud.

Legba
03-06-2013, 11:22 PM
^Word? So you're saying its along the same lines as avoiding decks with red top-plys, freezing your wheels, tapping your board on the top stair before you try a set? Interesting, I never heard that given as an explanation for the shield shit. Makes a lot of damn sense when you look at it like that. Hmm, this thread has proven useful.

schnavolda
03-07-2013, 12:59 AM
microwaving your shoes is a thing i'll never understand but i guess that's due to the fact that i never skate in brand new shoes.

i do the board tapping and stuff like that, maybe a little ocd, but a lof of people do that. watch willow always spinning the board around in his hand before starting to run.

Goon_Panda
03-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Why the fuck do you microwave your shoes?

Also...

Is it true that if you sandpaper the tread off the soles of your shoes, that you get better grip on the board? Seems legit because the griptape will be touching almost twice as much shoe.

Weird trend where I live.

schnavolda
03-07-2013, 03:01 AM
Why the fuck do you microwave your shoes?

to break in shoes faster and get stiff soles softer i guess.

my friends say that if you microwave a new shoe for 15 or 20 seconds, bend the sole immediately and then put it on, it molds around your foot better and if you then skate it, it feels like you were wearing it for weeks.

bohemian
03-07-2013, 03:14 AM
exposed bearings are just for sound and steez

Fecal Face
03-07-2013, 04:09 AM
to break in shoes faster and get stiff soles softer i guess.

my friends say that if you microwave a new shoe for 15 or 20 seconds, bend the sole immediately and then put it on, it molds around your foot better and if you then skate it, it feels like you were wearing it for weeks.

THIS.

Cheaper than motherfucking doctor scholls.

Also it's like a toasty cinnamon bun for your feet when you put them on after microwaving.

[Moose]
03-08-2013, 12:58 AM
THIS.

Cheaper than motherfucking doctor scholls.

Also it's like a toasty cinnamon bun for your feet when you put them on after microwaving.

Are you guys trollin? Cuz I wanna try this

Slamooh
03-08-2013, 04:45 AM

i don't know but they get free gear... and most pros suck at science ...

Gizzler
03-08-2013, 06:30 AM
...i once read, that microwaving stinky shoes could kill the smell, because that smell is usually caused by germs. microwaves kill every creature so that its supposed to help.

but i never tried that... on the other hand i know that hospitals use microwaves to desinfect things, so maybe it'll really help.

Slamooh
03-08-2013, 08:25 AM
gizz is right ;)
but maybe you start to melt all the plastics / glue / etc in your shoes too...
Your shoes are probably smoother after the microwave event... but you'll certainly wear them more rapidly...
i think it's a bad idea... and it's still a bad idea to put metal in your microwave oven
i guess it's fine when you get free shoes every 2 weeks :B

/engineer in material science

Antwan
03-10-2013, 07:32 PM
The only setup I have currently is an old school board.
So here's a question for you guys..
I know there's risers for trucks but is there something similar for wheels?
The board was a gift so the setup isn't too great
I'd probably pick the wrong one too.
So here's my issue, not a huge deal for some.
I was messing with a few primo things before on a different setup
the way the trucks I have currently are they don't allow the board to turn completely on it's side.
It's tilted if that makes sense.. not aligned with the ground when it's on it's side.
Also the wheels don't reach the ends of the board's sides right side up.
If there's something similar to risers for wheels I'd like to know about it..
Rather than buying different trucks?

NotedDerk
03-10-2013, 07:45 PM
The only setup I have currently is an old school board.
So here's a question for you guys..
I know there's risers for trucks but is there something similar for wheels?
The board was a gift so the setup isn't too great
I'd probably pick the wrong one too.
So here's my issue, not a huge deal for some.
I was messing with a few primo things before on a different setup
the way the trucks I have currently are they don't allow the board to turn completely on it's side.
It's tilted if that makes sense.. not aligned with the ground when it's on it's side.
Also the wheels don't reach the ends of the board's sides right side up.
If there's something similar to risers for wheels I'd like to know about it..
Rather than buying different trucks?

Buy trucks that are the same size as your deck, haha.

Antwan
03-10-2013, 07:47 PM
So you're saying there's no cheap alternative?

knexzor
03-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Possibly if you find wheels that are wider, but that's a long shot since those usually are larger in general and thus you'll also need risers to avoid wheelbite.

You could also try getting a bunch of those spacer rings that are between the bearing and the truck but you'd need a lot of them and I'm not certain the wheels would behave as they should haha.

[Moose]
03-18-2013, 01:19 PM
How/Can you clean grip tape?

pawnluvguitarist
03-18-2013, 01:24 PM
;140126']How/Can you clean grip tape?

Kinda pointless, even if you do clean it you're not gonna get the grip back. Better off just re gripping it, the stuff is cheap.

Hobbs
03-18-2013, 04:57 PM
;138425']Are you guys trollin? Cuz I wanna try this

Me too i really want to try, is it bad for the microwave?

briden
03-18-2013, 05:20 PM
;140126']How/Can you clean grip tape?

This shit is amazing, albeit super kooky and lame.

http://www.gripgum.com/

My friend bought a stick and it lasted him like two years. If you live in a place like this with real seasons, it beats buying a whole new sheet.

NotedDerk
03-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Parker and I have been using grip gum for years now, it's pointless, but I have ocd, and can't stand dirty grip.

Legba
03-19-2013, 12:53 PM
I used to use grip gum, it's pretty pointless but it works really well (as briden said already).
NYC is always filthy, so I dont mind when my grip gets tinted brown by a layer of grime. But blotches bother me for some reason.

fallingskyline
03-19-2013, 01:55 PM
;137438']"Why does everyone love Mark Gonzales?"

Because he's the most laidback person ever. His skating is out of this world. Had the honor to skate with him for a day in paris. he showed us all the spots they skated in video days. it was like "hey, look over there. jason lee did kickflip bs 5050 on it." really cool guy, one of the coolest skaters i've met!

and wheelbites are the worn places on the bottomside of your skateboard right over the wheels. the graphics will vanish and you will keep greyish moulds from your trucks are being to soft and you have to much weight either backside or frontside...

Legba
03-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Is Popwar back?
I've been seeing more and more of their boards popping up for sale (online, not in shops around me).
Their Facebook doesn't off much info other than "Good things coming in 2013"
Anybody know anything about this?

knexzor
03-29-2013, 04:39 PM
[...] from your trucks are being to soft [...]
There is no such thing. Loose trucks saves lives

fallingskyline
03-30-2013, 04:00 AM
Loose trucks saves lives

try loose trucks on a nice downhill, nothing more refreshing than whobbling trucks that get out of control... but when not riding downhill, my trucks are whobble-pudding <3

pawnluvguitarist
03-30-2013, 04:49 AM
try loose trucks on a nice downhill, nothing more refreshing than whobbling trucks that get out of control... but when not riding downhill, my trucks are whobble-pudding <3

Love loose trucks, easier to avoid collisions in crowded skateparks, and just a more enjoyable ride for me. I like em for hills too but I do more carving than bombing these days, still a little speed wobble isn't such a bad thing.

knexzor
03-30-2013, 05:19 AM
I guess you'd have to tighten 'em up a tad for the real SF style hills but Sweden is kinda flat so I get by with a couple speed checks :)

Hobbs
03-30-2013, 05:21 AM
i actually just tightened my trucks today, helps with control!

Slamooh
04-08-2013, 01:17 AM
did a 360 flip fs tailslide ever happen irl ?
on a real ledge / rail
there are a lot in fakeskate videos these days and i don't think it really exists :B

fallingskyline
04-08-2013, 02:29 AM
did a 360 flip fs tailslide ever happen irl ?
on a real ledge / rail
there are a lot in fakeskate videos these days and i don't think it really exists :B

i know they exist, since i saw some by a friend of mine on a curb/ledge

Yarivpa
04-08-2013, 02:29 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TwEcicLmHfY

And jake best isn't the best skater at all...

Slamooh
04-08-2013, 07:42 AM
aight ;)
still wondering about rails / hubbas

what about 360 flip bs tailslide then ? :cool:

fallingskyline
04-08-2013, 08:39 AM
what about 360 flip bs tailslide then ? :cool:

seen them being done on ledges, but rail, no...

PS in and out but not a the same time

Yarivpa
04-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Everything is possible

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qk68G4GXN-k

briden
04-08-2013, 11:47 AM
seen them being done on ledges, but rail, no...

PLEASE link this!

fallingskyline
04-08-2013, 03:09 PM
PLEASE link this!

i don't know what video it was in, else i would've posted that video ;)