PDA

View Full Version : I need help with video cropping/converting/re-encoding

agusbmxarg
03-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Ok, so, I'm trying to do a new bike video with the clips I have in my computer, but I keep having issues with the editor (besides the low performance I get because of my 2gb of ram and poor videocard).

Can someone who knows about video editing/converting/compressing help me out with something?

My flipcam style kodak camera shoots:
Codec: H264 - MPEG4-AVC
Resolution: 1280 x 720p
fps: 29,970 (NTSC)

What I WANT to get:
Crop the clips to 960x720p (still 720p but in 4:3 ratio, not streched, but cropped).
keep the same fps (29,970fps ain't 30fps, I think we all know that, but I pointed out just in case).
The lightest, and most old computer-friendly codec out there, the one I can edit the video with and have no problems whatsoever.

Could someone convert a clip for me so I can check how it looks and then if I think it's OK ask you how you did it and all that?

Clip's download link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/i2blc1

I crop my 16:9 native clips down to 4:3 because this camera has automatic Image stabilizer, impossible to disable, that make my fisheye's vig go crazy and I hate that alot, looks sketchy.

Help a brother out ;)

UPDATE: What about doing the same as above but instead of 4:3 in 720p (960 x 720), 4:3 @ 640x480p???

Roccityroller
03-11-2013, 09:17 AM
What are you editing with?

agusbmxarg
03-11-2013, 10:24 AM
What are you editing with?

Sony Vegas pro 8. (crappy computer, can't handle newer)

Roccityroller
03-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Hmm I don't have Vegas anymore or I would check but there should be a crop function in there. I know Vegas stretches clips that's are a different size than the project (premiere auto crops).

Anyone with a version of Vegas 8 check into this? Try right clicking a clip and look for crop or see if it's in your effects pane.

Any container you try to convert to other than h.264 will make it run slower (ironically) because Vegas will try to convert to an editable container before rendering it. For editing performance, try dropping your preview quality from the drop down under your project monitor (where the video ur making actually plays)

SolidMojo
03-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Sony Vegas pro 8. (crappy computer, can't handle newer)

I happen to use Vegas 8 too, converted your clips to avi (im used to avi, havent fiddled with mpeg settings) with this (http://www.pazera-software.com/products/flv-to-avi-converter/), yes its flv to avi but it did the work with the mpeg file too.

Imo both resolution/aspect ratio versions look good but the clips are 300 and 150 mb big and I cant seem to make them smaller, so I skipped sendspace..

IIRC the codec* I used should be in K-Lite Codec Pack, otherwise I have a zip file with it aswell should you be interested.

If youd like I could post a screen and/or instructions for the settings if you decide to try the program I linked.

*Edit: the codec would be Huffyuv (v2.2)

Edit 2: Btw be aware when/if you install the converter, it has a slightly visible tickbox for some toolbar when installing, you dont want that..

agusbmxarg
03-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys for the fast response. Derk, I will set the preview resolution in a lower quality once I get on my pc again.
Mojo, thanks for the tips, I have the K-lyte pack installed, but why would the converted clip you did be more than 100mb? uncompressed right?

Once I get on my computer I will try these new tips and update my post. thanks

SolidMojo
03-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Mojo, thanks for the tips, I have the K-lyte pack installed, but why would the converted clip you did be more than 100mb? uncompressed right?

Yeah I guess its uncompressed, its a straight up .avi file, I use them in Vegas, the render is smaller...

SolidMojo
03-11-2013, 12:33 PM
I might've spoken too soon, it doesnt seem like its working as intended. I dont know what to do about it but it doesnt look impossible (if you want to mess with it :p)

agusbmxarg
03-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Check this out.

This video is my latest one, used the same converter/render settings as in my skate 2 videos! hah but instead of 360p, the real life ones are 960 x 720p

Here is the thread I started with my Skate 2 settings (http://skatefluckit.com/showthread.php?t=10522).

I use Prism to convert my bike clips before editing in vegas (native flipcam files don't run well on vegas 8).

Besides the resolution aspect, all the rest is the same I use in my skate 2 vids.

Here is the video:

http://vimeo.com/58393464

I want my next video to look as much similar as possible to this one, but in 480p (disregard camera quality, that's the best I could get out of my clips).