PDA

View Full Version : New Jack vs. OG

Hitmanx123
03-12-2013, 07:37 PM
I've seen a bunch of e-videos in m time. ranging from ujustgotadopted's first solo all the way to the Noir Video. Over time i've noticed a lot of new faces fade in while a few oldies seem to disappear. Makes me think, does the new generation of e-skaters have what it takes to keep the series fresh and going while putting out new innovative videos? and do the older ones, the ones with the broken controllers and who's thumbs have arthritis , have the will to keep pushing the envelope and show that age ( or arthritis) doesnt matter?

I've been on this shit for whats going 7 years now since its release and i can proudly say i have no life and that i commit 99.999% of my effort in videos games to bettering my e-skating and coming up with new tricks. I already created a thread asking you guys how you innovate your e-skating, now i'd like to know if that same innovation do you think will stick with you in the future? or will you fade out like noobtard06?

i am a snail
03-12-2013, 07:47 PM
for what its worth i try my best to keep on coming better than i ever was before, or at least i like to think i do. i dont really know if i can say i "keep things fresh" or not since that seems like it could be more of a subjective thing (if i havent seen it its new to me etc etc). shit i dont even know what i would qualify as in this thread, relative new jack i guess? 3 years?

m.seven
03-12-2013, 07:59 PM
snail's right about the subjective part,that goes with every aspect from filming to style,tricks to edits.
one man's treasure is another man's trash sort of thing,a trick i think is innovative or rarely seen someone else looks at it and thinks meh.
i try to make each of my vids better than my last,whether they are or not is all opinion.

momadaddy
03-12-2013, 08:37 PM
i just try to have fun. i don't care if people think it's stupid or if it's abd. i film and upload what i have fun doing within the game. i'm not sure if my current style will stick but i'm afraid that the servers wont be around long enough to find out. thank god skate 4 will be out this fall.

EmmitBrown
03-12-2013, 08:40 PM
noobtard!

Antwan
03-12-2013, 10:14 PM
AntwanAintDead
A Part of me believes that anyone who says they don't care what others think is full of shit.
If you didn't care what others thought you likely wouldn't be so public about what you do on the game
let alone be apart of one or more communities about the game to share what you do with smaller audiences
You wouldn't thank anyone in your topics for their comments if you didn't care what people thought.
Skate is an operation that runs on more than a few good skaters.
It's something that grew and continues to grow
Based on feedback, Good vibes, Fun times, Players new and old.
Contributions, Distribution and a Continuance.

I can't say my next video will be better than my last as it's not a part of my process.
I fine tune what I can and other tricks will be done a certain way until or even if I can figure how to do them cleaner.
Me and Skate go way back but I really only continue to think and invent due to the amount of inspiring content.
No Skate, No Community, No Antwan-Style.

Slamooh
03-13-2013, 02:48 AM
too many pointless videos these days

m.seven
03-13-2013, 06:24 AM
i'm sure the guys putting out these vids see a point to them,all a matter of opinion.
better than nobody posting vids at all

emericaridr11
03-13-2013, 06:44 AM

if they have fun making them..... Not Pointless

Slamooh
03-13-2013, 06:48 AM
yeah guys you're probably right
but from a viewer's point of view, less wow moments.

emericaridr11
03-13-2013, 06:50 AM

thats when i say YOU make a video that you think is good..... everyone expects others to make a video that THEY enjoy
hardly makes sense.... but of course im a Newbie

i aint fading, Fun vids allday, goofy, wild shit

schnavolda
03-13-2013, 07:04 AM

i know exactly how you feel.

there are dozens of videos with like two or three stand out clips (if they have any at all) and the rest looking like neatly filmed first try stuff, especially on all those super realistic videos.

it's not like the videos a couple of years back were all gold, far from that, but at the moment fewer and fewer really amaze me.

but i think it's hard to still push the boundaries this far in the life cycle of the franchise.

Demzilla
03-13-2013, 07:05 AM
fucked up part is most og heads were around when everything sucked so we got a pass on shit being shit when in actuality it was just learning.
everyone has shitty parts...

great thread...
to me i see the community at a very hard point in its life...

new guys "suck" because its there first few goes(understandable).....
we have to help them get past shit and straight to...this is how you do it for this feel...faze...
the og heads kinda need to teach the learning curve...
we dont have a lot of tuts here because i would thing its a verbal conversation as opposed to "instructions" on whats what in a specific style...

the new guys kinda need to do some actual homework....
im new...this is a clip..how did i film it...i really like toy machine so...im going for this feel...i watch a lot of tno films...
that understanding before a video helps older heads out tremendously..
so much so it might actually get a response thats at least an idea of where you want to go...

people like tricks differently...
if its filmed well the og heads that hate the trick wont mind it cause it worked with the edit...
it blended in with the style of the video...
so already showing up the table with some general know how of the filming ingame and basic editing is key...

or ask...

slam...
make them better...
you have good shit and your still on the line of being listened too and taken seriously...
you have weight here...
use it...
just dont be so dicky about it.

waiting for people to get better....
worst idea ever....

sidenote...
i dont say shit because new mother fuckers dont tell me what they want...
how the fuck can i say anything if you cant even tell me your happy with the shit you just edited....

help me help you

bohemian
03-13-2013, 07:15 AM
as this has been a creative outlet, its geting harder and harder to produce original stuff.. first years with new games and cities gave tons of new opportunities. now, most have been done, explored and tried, which makes watching new videos less interesting. a new game, with new terrain, new animations and techniques would turn back time to when this was rad. i still see the occasional gem, but they are far and few between.

Slamooh
03-13-2013, 07:15 AM
ok
pointless was a bit harsh but you kinda get me wrong
i m enjoying fun, goofy, wild shit... as much as perfect filming, creative use of spots, details, etc...
but sometimes i feel like there was more "personality", more "specific" details and recognizable stuff... and these make a good video too

demz, my mistake. i didn't want to be dicky. you're right about the help me help you thingy. Get creative, make it your own, etc... but they are basics, 101 when you make a video.

reading yours, schnavolda's and eflix's post, i have to admit that there's probably less room for exciting stuff now.

emericaridr11
03-13-2013, 07:18 AM
ok
pointless was a bit harsh but you kinda get me wrong
i m enjoying fun, goofy, wild shit... as much as perfect filming, creative use of spots, details, etc...
but sometimes i feel like there was more "personality", more "specific" details and recognizable stuff... and these make a good video too
just aint the same as it used to be, i can understand that

m.seven
03-13-2013, 07:32 AM
as this has been a creative outlet, its geting harder and harder to produce original stuff.. first years with new games and cities gave tons of new opportunities. now, most have been done, explored and tried, which makes watching new videos less interesting. a new game, with new terrain, new animations and techniques would turn back time to when this was rad. i still see the occasional gem, but they are far and few between.

that all makes perfect sense,i just try to remember that what's old to some of us is brand new to the guys just coming into the community.

Roccityroller
03-13-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm on the fence about this one.. I see what everyone is saying.. I don't come on here anymore and go right to the footage section to watch vids. And the stuff that impresses me and I comment on is stuff where the feel was right. The whole package worked together but didn't leave my jaw on the floor.

But I think we've gotten lax, and I find this whenever we go to film a full. I try to make my full parts all pc and this time I've focused on finding new (to me) spots and I keep finding new stuff to skate, which amazes me this long into the game.

And Demz the new guys need to WANT to be helped, a lot of them don't. They did what they did and it's work to get things to the point we all have them today. Think about all the things that have come and gone.. Popless, for example... Most of the kids who came on in s3 probably never had to learn that, but think of all the online sessions the ogs have been in to figure all that out, body vars, perfect look, true switch. Half of it was the hunt, finding out how to break the engine. The new guys don't have the same respect for that stuff because they weren't involved in figuring it out.

Hitmanx123
03-13-2013, 08:20 AM
coming up on the whole year ive been filming my new part i honestly have been trying to do shit that ive never really seen anybody and at familiar and unfamiliar spots. the city of port uglyton has taken its toll, no lie there, but theres still room to improve and ionnovate. if you want you can lurk my reel and see what im working on. but i guess for me, being an oldie and still trying to push things my biggest goal is to do those "stand out" tricks. the ones that take literally and hour to get.

for some these tricks look ridiculous as fuck, andfor some they mayjust turn their head and go da fuq did i jus watch?". but its all perspective. i respect the new jacks (sorry for not really clarifying whats a new jack and whats og, but thats for you to decide), i respect the new jacks for the way they film and persistantly try to come up with new content, even if its just a minute and half of kickflip bs noseslides. its progression in someway, and i know they will improve of stuff or add stuff or make something that will be the next Grand Larceny/ABD/Concrete Jungle/Laviathain video.
i just hope that the OG's can still put out some "wow" material (which i have seen no doubt) and not just expect their reputation to live on hype alone.

again i am STILL filming my part. started sometime before summer last year

Hitmanx123
03-13-2013, 08:24 AM
And Demz the new guys need to WANT to be helped, a lot of them don't. They did what they did and it's work to get things to the point we all have them today. Think about all the things that have come and gone.. Popless, for example... Most of the kids who came on in s3 probably never had to learn that, but think of all the online sessions the ogs have been in to figure all that out, body vars, perfect look, true switch. Half of it was the hunt, finding out how to break the engine. The new guys don't have the same respect for that stuff because they weren't involved in figuring it out.

that and most of them wont really need to figurte it out since the game has been tweaked to basically do mnost of the stuf we've done and learn on our own when it wasnt there. hardcore mode basically enables anyone to really do popless and just about all the things we had to really work for in the earlier games.

m.seven
03-13-2013, 08:34 AM
some,not all(don't wanna generalize),of the newer members have to realize that alot of this is paying your dues in the community.
i've been around for 3 years and still feel like i am,but some just come in and think "i'm the shit,love my videos!" and aren't open to the advice they're given.
biggest problem i see is the closed mindedness of some,new and old.film this way,do these tricks like this,if you don't you suck.
i remember that old "CAP killed creativity" thing from a couple years ago,but honestly i think that closed minded way of thinking did more damage in that respect.

PoppySquidJr
03-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Eh, everything I'd say has been said before.
I just try to figure out some sort of new trick to nose/tail back in :rolleyes:

Hitmanx123
03-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Eh, everything I'd say has been said before.
I just try to figure out some sort of new trick to nose/tail back in :rolleyes:

do a kickflip tail, kickflip tail to kickflip tail, flip out

Roccityroller
03-13-2013, 09:10 AM
that and most of them wont really need to figurte it out since the game has been tweaked to basically do mnost of the stuf we've done and learn on our own when it wasnt there. hardcore mode basically enables anyone to really do popless and just about all the things we had to really work for in the earlier games.

This is exactly what I mean. Like i was talking to someone about og and how u had to Ollie 180 up each step to get to the top of a set to find spots... But that's what made those spots awesome... Blew their mind. Its stuff that gets taken advantage of. Shit we don't even have or really need a bounce glitch in s3 cuz u can just stack droppables and climb... Still work, yes, but nowhere near the work of getting to the roof of the og gas station or the roof of oliver in s2

PoppySquidJr
03-13-2013, 09:14 AM
This is exactly what I mean. Like i was talking to someone about og and how u had to Ollie 180 up each step to get to the top of a set to find spots... But that's what made those spots awesome... Blew their mind. Its stuff that gets taken advantage of. Shit we don't even have or really need a bounce glitch in s3 cuz u can just stack droppables and climb... Still work, yes, but nowhere near the work of getting to the roof of the og gas station or the roof of oliver in s2

Idk dude, the crooked roof2roof gap on my Noir part took me like 1.5 hours to reach even in s3

i am a snail
03-13-2013, 10:06 AM
do a kickflip tail, kickflip tail to kickflip tail, flip out
2nd try bruh that shit warmup forreal cuh :3

finding these spots in OG was easily the most fun part of the game for me, i mean getting there was a total bitch but it always felt so rewarding to get to point b, almost like finding a spot irl after a 2 hour hike through nowhere. and even with the droppable glitch in skate 3, elevators only get you so far. some of the truly great spots still take you just as much time to get to as it took you to ollie up individual steps in skate 1 (hypsies' pyramid bank comes to mind, as well as guth/georgeum's ungrindable roof). people won't do that though, because why find new shit when you can just do a line someone else has already done ten times but just add a flatground tre at the end. and maybe i'm not the person to speak about this, since i don't really think i'm that adventurous in my spot selection, but i at least make an effort to do things in a way or order that people may not have done or thought of.

i have a whole hell of a lot more i could say but that'd be off topic for this particular post i'm making so i'll save them for later

XImortalDEATHX
03-13-2013, 01:43 PM
I try to to different things each video (all 2 of them!) and experiment different things. If I don't feel it fits, leave it for another video. I feel trying different styles can help me innovate and improve. I know I've been here little over a year but I feel I get things, how they work and how they fit, and I only hope to progress.

Hitmanx123
03-14-2013, 10:17 AM

or it your were REALLY og and had to get somewhere, getting on top of the freeway, ONLINE! that shit was fucking bananas. took lieterally 25 minutes each time. bail-glitch ftw