PDA

View Full Version : Stoked

tehwoot
03-10-2009, 07:33 AM
So I picked this up last week and find it to be alot of fun if you enjoy Snowboarding / Snowboarding Games. The game feels similar in ways to Skate or Skate 2. The physics are the same, so are the controls (flick it for olies and triggers control your grabs). The online play is entertaining and works like Skate 2's freeskate setup where you can summon a group of people to play gametypes wherever you want on a mountain. Game types include T.R.I.C.K - which is like S.K.A.T.E, best run and so forth. There is no video playback from what I can tell as of yet, but alot more keeps unlocking as I play. Though there is a camera and you can take stills of yourself and others in online play. Sure as hell is 100% better then that Carrot Top snowboarding game, though is only available for Xbox 360. If you are a snowboarder or just enjoy the "Genre" then I would deff pick this up. I was going to post reviews by IGN and so forth, but like always its tainted by being released by a new and up and coming company who didnt pay them off.

Pros:

$40!
Endless amount of new spots to uncover.
Amazing weather system that makes you feel like your always riding new terrain.
Fun Online Play
Large Indie Soundtrack
Smooth flow with great play control and button config
Ability to "hike" the mountain and place markers (similar to skate)
More? Im sure im missing some shit
Fun as fuck
Possible DLC in the future

Cons:

No fluid rodeos and rotations (as far as I can so far tell your not able to smoothly combine a rotation and flip to make flairs and rodeo type tricks. its possible to do a 180 mid backflip, but just doesnt look very smooth)
With the large soundtrack comes plenty of shity songs
No way to tell who is talking on Xbox Live games
Need to go through the game to open abilitys to use helicopter to choose areas to drop you off, open clothing as gear / mountains
Small amount of customizable options?
Xbox 360 Exclusive (but then again who owns a PS3)

Links:

http://www.gettingstoked.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8fsmIAbCIY

Roccityroller
03-10-2009, 08:04 AM
might have to check it out, i've had my eye on this project for a long time.

jest118
03-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Reminds me a bit of Cool Boarders.

joker
03-10-2009, 09:57 AM
might pick this one up as well

SonicKaos
03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I want to... but the lack of smooth rotations kind of kills it for me... Smooth animation is big in my books, and it would just ruin my enjoyment :(

That and there might be an SSX announcement this friday, which I'd be totally pumped for. Army of Two for sure, but I'm crossing my fingers that it's not the only one!

joshmutiny
03-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Reminds me a bit of Cool Boarders.

cool boarders was so sick.

Get Stoked
03-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, you can't pull off off-axis spins, but all of the other animations are great.

I am thoroughly enjoying the game and the online, plus, for 40 bucks...

I will play with any of you that have it, just send me a message on XBL.

tehwoot
03-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I want to... but the lack of smooth rotations kind of kills it for me... Smooth animation is big in my books, and it would just ruin my enjoyment :(

That and there might be an SSX announcement this friday, which I'd be totally pumped for. Army of Two for sure, but I'm crossing my fingers that it's not the only one!

well its smooth when you do like 540's and shit, just seems to take more work for tricks like rodeos...im trying to do them now, and it seems possible.... if i had a cap card id show you what i mean, haha

ChamillionLive
03-10-2009, 09:06 PM
You can pull off-axis spins, you just need to prewind, then hold the left stick like you're doing a back/frontflip.

tehwoot
03-11-2009, 02:08 PM
I have put up a Stoked related forum similar to fluckit.

you can check it out at www.yetiattack.com

amp93
03-11-2009, 03:18 PM
I bought the game when it came out.... I guess I kinda like.... I think...

As a skater, I love skate
As a snowboarder, stoked is ok

Oh and nice little forum u got there woot:D

tehwoot
03-11-2009, 05:40 PM
thanks amp :-p

ERIKDOTCOM
03-12-2009, 08:34 AM
So would all of you say it's better than Shaun White's game?

Roccityroller
03-12-2009, 08:50 AM
It was better than shaun white before it came out.

ERIKDOTCOM
03-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Haha ok I think I'll rent it first tho since I'm not really into snowboarding.:o

volcomston3d
03-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Its a pretty good game, especially for the money. However its not anything incredible.

IMO if they combined the Amped 2 and Stoked they would get an insane game.

If you prewind a spin and hold a flip it will do a rodeo 5 and continue flipping but i have yet to be able to pull a double rodeo 10 a la travis rice

sk8cdt
03-12-2009, 07:50 PM
that yeti always makes me smile

saunders420
03-13-2009, 12:53 PM
got taxes back
n im grabbin it for 20 bucks used at the eb games

SHIBBY

k3v1n
03-14-2009, 08:12 AM
i'm on ps3 so i won't be getting it, but the animations in this game look absolutely terrible, I'd get shaunwhite anyway.

(which i have already)

volcomston3d
03-14-2009, 07:16 PM
imo the shitty animations in this game are better then the shitty animations in shuan white

ERIKDOTCOM
03-28-2009, 05:19 PM
hahaha

PS3 Skater
03-29-2009, 02:19 PM
hey , i am a snowboarder, i've been riding since i was 5 and am sponsored by my local board shop and ive got to say that compared to a game like shaun white snowboarding this game is seriously crap, it just doesnt feel realistic enough for my liking but hey :rolleyes: