PDA

View Full Version : Camelot Unchained - Kickstarter just started at Noon!

replicant
04-02-2013, 09:26 AM
This is the upcoming MMORPG by Mark Jacobs (Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online) and his team at City State Games.
It will be a RvR-Focused game all about siege warfare and team based play like his previous RvR areas in DAoC.
The game is made with the more old school and hardcore in mind and will disregard PvE to focus solely on RvR.
Check out the project and see if it interests you. I've already pledge. It just went live on KS at Noon.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

SolidMojo
04-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Cant believe the guy is still in the industry clawing his way through, enough already, it was shown with Warhammer: Online that DaoC was a lucky strike.

replicant
04-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Cant believe the guy is still in the industry clawing his way through, enough already, it was shown with Warhammer: Online that DaoC was a lucky strike.
Warhammer Online wasn't his failure. That rests solely on EA pushing for it to be more "WoW-Like" and to be released ahead of schedule.

SolidMojo
04-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Warhammer Online wasn't his failure. That rests solely on EA pushing for it to be more "WoW-Like" and to be released ahead of schedule.

Game design, philosophy and coding was quite terrible overall tbh, in this case I cant believe Im defending EA (or having this discussion with someone with a EA bagde :p) but from what I've read when it was released and a year ahead. EA had already pushed the game back twice by EA to let Mythic polish but the devs couldnt keep their end of the deal, thats why it was "released ahead of schedule".

Anyways, Im sorry for bringing bile into your thread, but Ive been a GW fan for 25yrs (up until they got tight assed and started suing fansites and retailers) and WAR really made me bitter hehe.

I hope everyone looking forward to this game gets happy with this new information and I wish you all the best. Y'all know where I stand.

replicant
04-04-2013, 03:15 AM
Game design, philosophy and coding was quite terrible overall tbh, in this case I cant believe Im defending EA (or having this discussion with someone with a EA bagde :p) but from what I've read when it was released and a year ahead. EA had already pushed the game back twice by EA to let Mythic polish but the devs couldnt keep their end of the deal, thats why it was "released ahead of schedule".

Anyways, Im sorry for bringing bile into your thread, but Ive been a GW fan for 25yrs (up until they got tight assed and started suing fansites and retailers) and WAR really made me bitter hehe.

I hope everyone looking forward to this game gets happy with this new information and I wish you all the best. Y'all know where I stand.
It is true that the game had been pushed back multiple times, but these were needed because of EA additions to the style of the game.
Then to reduce the cost of the game Mythic was forced to reuse the DAoC engine with in-house upgrades because they lacked the budget for more.
Mark left EA-Mythic at the time because he did not like having to make shortcuts and the forced merger with BioWare.
I can definitely understand your dislike of GW at time and the problems with WAR I fully understand.

WAR I still haven't came to grips with. I was in beta for almost a year with the game and had completed all content in the game prior to Gold.
Even in stress testing we were able to run Fortress Sieges without it being a slideshow and Battlefields were never an issue.
When it went live the amount of servers needed was grossly underestimated and then it became flooded. However, they never allowed enough
bandwidth through to properly control certain zones. If they had used a cluster system like Blizzard does it would have been no issue,
but they ran instanced and persistent areas on the same servers which really overloaded them with the amount of people in the environments
and the sheer amount of calls per sec that the clients were doing.

It saddened me to leave WAR after only 3-4 months of launch because it was just unplayable in many aspects. They just didn't level the server
loads right to cope with the environment. With 5,000 people per realm we ran fine in beta, but they cranked it to 25,000 at launch which is
idiocy. I left shortly after Bechafen was forced to merge with Praag/Dark Crag. My Ironbreaker (Chairman Mao) was highest ranked on Bechafen
and had every server first and some world firsts before I quit. The game had so much potential and EA pissed it away. Then they abandoned it
for SW:TOR... lol

SolidMojo
04-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Well, you pretty much wrapped it up. Theres really nothing to add.

Now that we're done maybe some people can drop in and be happy about this ;)

Hobbs
04-04-2013, 12:39 PM
You are a kick startin postn maniack rep!

replicant
04-05-2013, 03:53 AM
You are a kick startin postn maniack rep!
Heh, I love to see the indie developers, old school veterans, and such trying to bring something new or at least different to the market.
A lot of the gaming today has become stagnant because AAA companies aren't willing to take chances.
However, you can't blame them when every bucktoothed hobo is willing to buy the newest FPS sight unseen.

replicant
05-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Camelot Unchained has FUNDED!
9 hours to go and we are up to $2,156,139.00 which is the first stretch goal as well.
I'm looking forward to Alpha Testing this starting next year if I don't get dragged in-house before then.

Stokenstein
05-03-2013, 01:38 AM
Heh, I love to see the indie developers, old school veterans, and such trying to bring something new or at least different to the market.
A lot of the gaming today has become stagnant because AAA companies aren't willing to take chances.
However, you can't blame them when every bucktoothed hobo is willing to buy the newest FPS sight unseen.

Me to! I'm bummed on the BMX game, I was rooting for them. I think they need to recoup and try again with the Kickstarter or start pitching to publishers. The gameplay we did see looked pretty good, just need some polishing for sure.

Glad this game got funded though. We need more indie games!

replicant
05-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Me to! I'm bummed on the BMX game, I was rooting for them. I think they need to recoup and try again with the Kickstarter or start pitching to publishers. The gameplay we did see looked pretty good, just need some polishing for sure.

Glad this game got funded though. We need more indie games!The guys at Barspin Studios (BMX) posted today that the game is on hold and they are looking into ways to move in the future since they do want to create the game. They are considering another Kickstarter run, possibly Indiegogo, and are considering releasing an Alpha build for people to try out. I do want to see this game come to light.