PDA

View Full Version : Capture cards for old tv's

jaike
06-03-2013, 07:39 AM
I have a mac and and old tv with I think HDTV cable not HDMI. Certianly not a hi def tv. Are there any capture cards out there for me ? Or will I have to move my Xbox down stairs and just get a hdmi cable along with a hdmi cap card. Please someone save me money I beg of you.

Noobiness V2
Cheers

WuZie
06-03-2013, 07:43 AM
I'm pretty sure there's loads of non-HD capture cards (like an EasyCap, Dazzle, EZcap, HD PVR 1) don't know if they will work on mac though

jaike
06-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Yeah having a mac is starting to become a pain. Cheers though

emericaridr11
06-03-2013, 10:15 AM
i used my hdpvr with my no hd tv for a while.... as long as it had Components ( i have hdpvr and mac)

and as a matter of fact i could of used s-video with my hdpvr too

Dazzle - Composite and S-Video
EasyCap - Composite and S-Video
KaiserBass- Composite and S-Video

HDPVR- Components/Composites/S-Video
Avermedia GameCapture HD - Component
Elgato - HDMI

so technically if your TV has Components you can use all those capcards minus the Elgato, but yes it WONT be in 720p but 480p

Pvr has a fine Mac Program, and has all the hook ups, i dig.......

jaike
06-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Oh I do have an s-video port. What are components e? Thanks btw

WuZie
06-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Oh I do have an s-video port. What are components e? Thanks btw

Dis:
http://www.gaminggenerations.com/store/images/images_extra/official_360_component_cable.jpg

jaike
06-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Oh i see. I think there is some more of those on the back of my tv. HDPVR vs aver media who wins? Or does aver,edia not support mac?

emericaridr11
06-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Oh i see. I think there is some more of those on the back of my tv. HDPVR vs aver media who wins? Or does aver,edia not support mac?

Avermedia is basically a CaptureCard with a Built in Harddrive.....
you save your clips to the actual Device, then plug it into your computer or something like that

HDpvr you have to use either hdpvrcapture or Eyetv (both programs for mac, i use eyetv) and record using them...

its really up to you, if you dont want your Capture card to HAVE to be plugged into your computer all the time then go Avermedia

pvr vs avermedia quality - i think they are both basically the same, both use 720p/1080i at highest (cause of Component Cables)

jaike
06-03-2013, 04:15 PM
That makes me more lean towards avermedia. The picture wuzie posted above are those all component cables ? Or are they different coming out of the cap card. Thanks for all this help btw

NotedDerk
06-03-2013, 08:01 PM
The roxio uses the component cables, the standard anyway. You play in HD still, just gets recorded in 480p. I was using an HDMI cable, but I had to go and get the components for it to work.

Roccityroller
06-03-2013, 08:07 PM
so technically if your TV has Components you can use all those capcards minus the Elgato, but yes it WONT be in 720p but 480p

not completely true. you can run HD from the box/ps3 to the cap card and SD back to the TV. for recording purposes, the cap card only cares about what inputs it receives.

jaike
06-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Wait what? So I don't just connect component cables from my Xbox to the cap card ?

emericaridr11
06-04-2013, 10:08 AM
not completely true. you can run HD from the box/ps3 to the cap card and SD back to the TV. for recording purposes, the cap card only cares about what inputs it receives.

but if you have your xbox set to 720p dont you need a 720p tv to see the gameplay?

cause i tried that i think... using componets for the pvr hooks and s-video to my tv, But since s-video was 480p NOT HD, i couldnt see any picture cause my xbox was set to 720p

BannerBoy360
06-09-2013, 12:41 PM
couple questions for e or whoever knows their shit bout cap cards...
will a hauppauge hd pvr gaming edition work w/ my mac? (has tht already been answered sorry if so..)
if yes to the first...what do i need to get to make it work or do i need to buy anything?
will a cap card bought in the states work if i bought it and brought it into ireland (europe) ?

emericaridr11
06-09-2013, 02:01 PM
couple questions for e or whoever knows their shit bout cap cards...
will a hauppauge hd pvr gaming edition work w/ my mac? (has tht already been answered sorry if so..)
if yes to the first...what do i need to get to make it work or do i need to buy anything?
will a cap card bought in the states work if i bought it and brought it into ireland (europe) ?

you need a program called EyeTv..... but yes it works for mac just fine

or one called hdpvrcapture

and i dont see a problem with buying it in the states...... if anything you would have to run it in NTSC and not PAL... but honestly im not sure about all that
but it will work fine im sure of it