PDA

View Full Version : Buying a complete (need help/advice please)

SmurfsInABox
07-04-2013, 05:28 PM
I haven't owned a skateboard since I was about 8 years old. I've been snowboarding for the past 7 years and always struggle through the summer because of the lack of board sports that I do once the snowboard season ends. I've always wanted to have something close to snowboarding to do during the summer so why not start skating again? My biggest problem, at the moment, is just trying to figure out what I need set up wise. I feel like I'm being bombarded by all sorts of different measurement sizes and countless skate tech terms. I'll post a link to all of the parts that I'm planning on ordering and hopefully you guys can point out any flaws in my potential choices and give me some alternatives that would be more suitable. I'm 5' 8" and have size 10.5 shoes, if that helps.

Thanks for any advice that you can give me

Skateboard parts list
http://www.tactics.com/baker/lenoce-blue-zoo-80-skateboard-deck
http://www.tactics.com/thunder/polished-skateboard-trucks/polished-147-lo
http://www.tactics.com/bones/mumford-stf-v1-pro-skateboard-wheels/oh-gee-83b
http://www.tactics.com/independent/genuine-parts-phillips-mounting-skateboard-hardware/black
http://www.tactics.com/diamond-supply-co/hella-fast-abec-7-skateboard-bearings

Wiltzuh
07-04-2013, 05:35 PM
8 incher board works well at the beginning...you'll see if it's too big or small or just perfect. Wheels and how hard they will be depends on what you wanna do. If you wanna skate ramps and pools i would tell you to pick soft wheels but otherwise i would pick harder ones.
Everyone has their own opinions about "what is best complete". It's all about what you wanna do with your board.

All i'm gonna say is that i recommend you to put money to your complete. You're just gonna lose your interest if the complete is bad.

Edit: Noticed that parts list...I don't really like thunder trucks. They didn't work for me. But then again...if they didn't work for me, they may work for someone else...

Antwan
07-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Yeah I hear certain wheels help with certain styles.
Other than that I don't think it matters..
People will skate what feels good to them.

I don't really buy into brands anymore not like I used to.
If I get something specific brand it's gotta be because I've heard about the quality of it.
I've got a shit ton of local shop decks though. Got them cheap or free and they've been stacking up.
You'd be amazed what people will give you or just throw out around some of the skateparks.

Shit you may start skating again and hate anything that's like a snowboard
or maybe you'll get a board that's like a snowboard I dunno that's up to you.
I like physical shops though, some of them will let you stand on the board and see how it feels.
If they are real cool you could ride it back n forth in the shop.
If you buy it all online I'm not sure the return would go over so well!

Good luck with it though, might take a few decks to find what works. It did for me anyway.

m.seven
07-04-2013, 06:19 PM
most skateshops will let you stand on the deck so you can see how it feels,so I'd go with what feels good under your feet.
everybody's gonna have a different opinion on truck brands based on weight and how well they turn.personally I've always rode Indy..bit on the heavy side but they turn best out of any brand I've tried.
wheels depends on what you're skating..i always preferred a softer wheel for street skating and harder for vert and parks.maybe try around a 95 durometer for some middle ground there.
hardware's pretty much whatever
bearings I like bones,usually get swiss myself
hope I was of some help ;)

XImortalDEATHX
07-04-2013, 07:12 PM
My personal preference are Baker boards. Not picky on trucks, but I'd choose Independents. Wheels and bearings would be Bones, different brands I think for them. And with grip you can't go wrong with Mob Grip, Grizzly Grip, or Jessop.

Glad to see you picking up skating.

xtremezoid
07-04-2013, 11:49 PM
yeah indy trucks are the best hands down. for your bushings you should go with bones, they're the best. and you could also try shake junt bearings, got mine for $5 and they have lasted me a year and still work amazing (even after skating in the rain a lot). for the board it all depends on what you're planning on doing. for street around 8 is good, for transition around 8.5 is good and somewhere between 8.25-8.4 is good if you're planning on doing both (this is all my personal preference).

replicant
07-05-2013, 01:53 AM
The deck is fine as 8.0 is a good starting size and the deck width I prefer these days range between 8.0-8.5 overall.
Trucks I personally only ride Independent and have for close to 30 years now. Indy 139 is the size I use.
*Note for Indy: Do not buy the shitty "Hollow" or "T Hanger" versions.
Those wheels to me are far too squishy, but the brand is fine. I run 52mm/92dur Spitfires as my poison of choice.
If you are Street/Park use 50-55mm Diameter and 90+ Durometer (95+ for heavy vert/park focus).
The hardware is fine.
Bearings... The ABEC 7's you chose are fine. I personally run NMB 608z's because I like more durability.
*608z vs Abec 7 is basically Durability vs Speed. I'd wager 90%+ skaters use Abec 7 these days.

A good tip is to try a friends board or go to a local shop and see if they have decks you can stand on.
When you find a width that feel comfortable go with that one. 8.0 is the base these days.
I started out on 4.0 flex boards, then transitioned to 10.0 Pro models back in the early 80's. :)
Hope this helps.

heshfield
07-05-2013, 03:52 AM
All the parts you picked out will do just fine, and because theyre all middle-of-the-road type stuff, it will give you a good sense of what youll want to change in the future (i.e. deck size and shape, wheel hardness, etc.)
The only thing is, as a snowboarder, I assume youll probably be bombing hills and stuff..so I would go with indys (stage 11 139s) just because they turn so well and they will last a lot longer than thunders. Besides..indy hardware on thunders is sort of weird. Depending on your budget, check out Shorty's hardware and Black Magic grip..those to me are the best.

pawnluvguitarist
07-05-2013, 05:09 AM
A lot of it is just preference. I ride a little freestyle deck with little trucks so I'm not much help. I do highly recommend Bones wheels and Bones Labyrinth bearings

Hobbs
07-05-2013, 07:24 AM
For me i say the baker is definitely a great idea! They have lots of pop for sure, same goes with deathwish! The size seems about right, i just switched from 7.75 to 8.0 and i absolutley love it.

For the thunder trucks, i also agree a lot! Dont get indies, because not only are they not good imo, they get way too much profit. Thunders dont have nearly as much people buying them, just because indies have been around a ton longer.

As for the wheels, are you planning to skate street, or tranny and vert? If you like to skate more ramps and shit, than the softer wheels will most likely enjoy a softer wheel. If you are planning to skate street, than the hard wheels will be better for you. Size 53 is about right, that is what i skate, but size 52 is what most people skate. I completely agree with the decision on getting bones! They are honestly the best wheel ever!

The hardware doesn't really make a difference so sure that is good enough, but im almost positive thunders already come with hardware...

The bearings seem good, never skated those before though. I have heard good things about diamond bearings. I really really prefer bones or rush bearings though, but whatever floats your boat i guess.

Your whole setup seems to fit my standards though except for the loss of griptape! Your gonna want griptape for sure. I suggest Jessup if you dont want new shoes every other two weeks. I suggest mob if you want more grip, but they absolutley kill your shoes. You will find yourself buying new shoes near every 2-3 weeks. Finally there is grizzly, which is a happy medium between both grips! I personally skate either mob or jessup though.

Your setup is overall rad, and you should most likley have some badass fun on that setup!

I am really glad to see a true snowboarder start skating again. I want to hear how you have progressed keep me updated man ;) !!

m.seven
07-05-2013, 07:27 AM
indy's aren't good because they make too much profit?
hobbs,that's the most retarded thing I've seen you post..and that's saying alot

Hobbs
07-05-2013, 07:31 AM
lol i just was saying that i don't like them, and another reason is how they are the leading profit makers in the truck industry, and i would rather support another company, that doesnt make as much profit.

m.seven
07-05-2013, 07:36 AM
another reason is how they are the leading profit makers in the truck industry
there's a reason for that,and it's not because they're bad.
some of you kids these days have some strange reasons to hate stuff

Hobbs
07-05-2013, 07:38 AM
I dont think they skate as good its just my preference to skate thunders.

emericaridr11
07-05-2013, 09:00 AM
i ONLY buy Royal Trucks..... cause im light enough to not split them in half and they are SUper light!

I ONLY ride Spitfires, no explanation needed (55 size)

i ONLY ride size 8 decks, PERFECT (im 5'8 130lbs)..... used to only ride BlackMagic Grip but now i dont care

Bearings well go high abec with a decent price

obvi its up to you, youll find the set up you dig sooner than later

SmurfsInABox
07-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Thank you all so much for the great advice and feedback!

I've made a few changes based on what you have all told me. I'm going to switch out the thunders for some independents, seeing as the majority of you find them to work well for you. I had originally planned on getting bones bearings but was kind of wavering on what to choose. I'll be switching to bones though now. As for wheels, I'm having a hard time finding a sort of middle ground for the durometer so I still need a bit of advice as far as that goes. I have changed the wheels from bones with an 83durometer to spitfires with a 99durometer. I'll probably be spending the majority of my time at a skatepark with this board, if that helps.

Here are the changed parts
http://www.tactics.com/bones-bearings/reds-skateboard-bearings
http://www.tactics.com/independent/139-stage-11-silver-skateboard-trucks/silver-139
http://www.tactics.com/spitfire/ol-dirty-beasley-classic-skateboard-wheels/white-99d

Thanks again for all of your guys' help.

m.seven
07-05-2013, 12:05 PM
sounds good on the wheel durometer Smurfs
have fun

The Mike
07-05-2013, 12:49 PM
i would go with bones stf spitfires are like erasers they flat spot like crazy

The Mike
07-05-2013, 12:50 PM
for a wheel size i would go for a 52mm just the right size

knexzor
07-05-2013, 02:30 PM
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if you haven't skated since you were a kid; initially, your setup will not have a huge impact on your actual skating. Just buy a board and get out there. Eventually you will acquire a taste of what setup you prefer.

Granka
07-05-2013, 02:38 PM
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if you haven't skated since you were a kid; initially, your setup will not have a huge impact on your actual skating. Just buy a board and get out there. Eventually you will acquire a taste of what setup you prefer.
Knex's advice is the only advice you need. Just get any board available and start riding!

Hitmanx123
07-08-2013, 08:06 AM
dont hit your head man. and buy bones wheels, dont ask why..just do it.

Boxerman08
07-13-2013, 04:48 PM
What Knex said.

From the items you've picked out though, sounds like a pretty decent set up anyways. It's all about preference though, and the more shit you try, that's when you'll know what you like best. Personally I've been skating an 8" for years (I've had a few baker boards before, really sick), always skated higher trucks (indy's and destructos mainly), wheels never really mattered to me, and bearings I generally go for Reds. I do try different things from time to time, especially boards, but those are the things I generally go for. Right now, my current set up is a Toy Machine "The Butcher" 8.0, 139 indy's I believe, spitfire neon wheels, and shake junt bearings... will definitely go back to Reds bearings whenever I can lol

exoskate89
07-24-2013, 04:39 AM
Thank you all so much for the great advice and feedback!

I've made a few changes based on what you have all told me. I'm going to switch out the thunders for some independents, seeing as the majority of you find them to work well for you. I had originally planned on getting bones bearings but was kind of wavering on what to choose. I'll be switching to bones though now. As for wheels, I'm having a hard time finding a sort of middle ground for the durometer so I still need a bit of advice as far as that goes. I have changed the wheels from bones with an 83durometer to spitfires with a 99durometer. I'll probably be spending the majority of my time at a skatepark with this board, if that helps.

Here are the changed parts
http://www.tactics.com/bones-bearings/reds-skateboard-bearings
http://www.tactics.com/independent/139-stage-11-silver-skateboard-trucks/silver-139
http://www.tactics.com/spitfire/ol-dirty-beasley-classic-skateboard-wheels/white-99d

Thanks again for all of your guys' help.
WHOA WAIT
BONES ARE HARDER
BONES ARE 83B
SPIT 99A

if u convert it into to the a scale it is approx 103 a
reason they use b scale is on the bones site

*learned this from working at exo skte shop

nice to see ur gona get a board smurfs

and i agree with m7 hobbs that post was dumb

indy are some of the cheapest trucks where i work at
some thunders are the most expensive
axle and kingpin nuts always come included

smurfs u should ask ur shop if grip and hardware come included(where i work at jessup black grip and bulk plain hardware is included with any and every board)
size 8 should be good
id recommend getting mini logo or bones reds since it is a lot cheaper cost and better price than the diamond

thats pretty much what i gotta say

Hitmanx123
07-24-2013, 08:10 AM
WHOA WAIT
BONES ARE HARDER
BONES ARE 83B
SPIT 99A

if u convert it into to the a scale it is approx 103 a
reason they use b scale is on the bones site

*learned this from working at exo skte shop

nice to see ur gona get a board smurfs

and i agree with m7 hobbs that post was dumb

indy are some of the cheapest trucks where i work at
some thunders are the most expensive
axle and kingpin nuts always come included

smurfs u should ask ur shop if grip and hardware come included(where i work at jessup black grip and bulk plain hardware is included with any and every board)
size 8 should be good
id recommend getting mini logo or bones reds since it is a lot cheaper cost and better price than the diamond

thats pretty much what i gotta say

the more expensive spitfires are nice but i love bones because they dont flat spot so easily. i swear ive ridden spitfire for like 5 out of the 8 years ive skated and all my spitfires get all yellow and small within like a couple months of just me powersliding on flat. i mean if you dont powerslid ethen i guess but usually they get worn down quicker. havent switched back since going to bones, which mine are still white and round even after 4 months.

and theeves are the most expensive and are the lightest but just get indy's. those with bones bearings are golden. i dont like the idy bushing because they are too soft, even though i ride the blue bones bushing which are the softest. its just how they turn i guess.

Boxerman08
07-24-2013, 10:28 AM
the more expensive spitfires are nice but i love bones because they dont flat spot so easily. i swear ive ridden spitfire for like 5 out of the 8 years ive skated and all my spitfires get all yellow and small within like a couple months of just me powersliding on flat.

That's weird that you say spitfires get flatspots easily. I love to pivot/slide some of my tricks like fs flips and 180's/360's and i don't feel the slightest flatspot on my wheels yet... Bought them about 5-6 months ago I'd say, been skating on a regular basis and i don't feel any flatspots whatsoever... Maybe I'm just lucky, or I don't power slide enough haha

Hitmanx123
07-25-2013, 12:40 PM
That's weird that you say spitfires get flatspots easily. I love to pivot/slide some of my tricks like fs flips and 180's/360's and i don't feel the slightest flatspot on my wheels yet... Bought them about 5-6 months ago I'd say, been skating on a regular basis and i don't feel any flatspots whatsoever... Maybe I'm just lucky, or I don't power slide enough haha

not really about the "feeling" of it so much as its just the wear of the wheel. my spitfires are 3x smaller than what they are now and i had 51 mm. they look like 45 now. they arent wobbly or anything but its just annoying to have that happen after liketwo months of just skating. my bones have been the same since i got them in feburary and ive been skating at least once a week at the very least. of course now with my plantar faciitis i cant do much but i skate when i can. just from my experience, bones seem to retain shape longer.

Boxerman08
07-25-2013, 12:49 PM
not really about the "feeling" of it so much as its just the wear of the wheel. my spitfires are 3x smaller than what they are now and i had 51 mm. they look like 45 now. they arent wobbly or anything but its just annoying to have that happen after liketwo months of just skating. my bones have been the same since i got them in feburary and ive been skating at least once a week at the very least. of course now with my plantar faciitis i cant do much but i skate when i can. just from my experience, bones seem to retain shape longer.

Ah, I get what you mean. But even then, they don't seem like they've worn down all that much. Only difference I notice really is that the logo is wearing off haha but again, it's the first time I bought spitfires actually, so I can't compare them to other spitfire wheels... Some homies swear by that company, so I figured they were decent. In that case, I'll have to try out some Bones wheels next!

Hitmanx123
07-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Ah, I get what you mean. But even then, they don't seem like they've worn down all that much. Only difference I notice really is that the logo is wearing off haha but again, it's the first time I bought spitfires actually, so I can't compare them to other spitfire wheels... Some homies swear by that company, so I figured they were decent. In that case, I'll have to try out some Bones wheels next!

they are pretty good man! i still bakc spitfire, they rip and are super nice on pavement. but these bones ar ejust really durable.

my current set up is

Koston Acid Trip 8''
Theeve Tiax w/ Blue Bones Bushings (softest)
Bones Super Redz
Bones OG 100
Mob Grip

i have a Haslam double impact for when my girl breaks (no pun intended) but i will always ALWEYZ get Girl boards. i just flow for them...kind of sorta...not really but really.

Dead_Head
07-27-2013, 01:35 PM
things you shouldn't ever buy:
- Shakejunt/grizzly/coloured grip
- Tensor trucks
- a board for the graphics, unless its your size and you like the shape first
- a longboard

also, support your local shop over a mall shop if you can.

unplannedman
08-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Toy Machines are pretty rad, my setup right now is
Toy Machine 8in
Krux Trucks
Bones wheels 52mm(decided to test them out, but I prefer Spitfires because I hate riding wheels with no flatspots)
Jessup Grip (because I'm a little bitch who doesn't want grippy grip tape like MOB)
Lucky bearings
Shorty's hardware

Toy Machines are really easy to break in, I'd suggest getting one of those if you can

XImortalDEATHX
08-04-2013, 07:48 PM

- a longboard

"Oh, I think riding around on a wooden board with wheels is stupid. You should ride around on a board with wheels that's smaller."

Dead_Head
08-05-2013, 08:27 AM
In my opinion Longboarding is just super lame. its like skateboarding but without everything that makes skateboarding fun except powerslides.
Everytime i see a longboarding theyre holding it and not riding it anyways.
Longboarding is wack. Its just another lame stray from skateboarding like snakeboards and flowboards.

m.seven
08-05-2013, 11:56 AM
skateboarding isn't just fucking kickflips and backside airs,and for some cruising down the street on a longboard is a hell of a lot more fun than stressing a switch back tail.
some of you young'ns need to learn your roots

Dead_Head
08-05-2013, 03:51 PM
skateboarding isn't just fucking kickflips and backside airs,and for some cruising down the street on a longboard is a hell of a lot more fun than stressing a switch back tail.
some of you young'ns need to learn your roots

I've tried longboarding, its not for me. Bombing hills is fun but I like being able to do much more then just powersliding around with my hands on the ground. A regular skateboard, to me, opens up much more doors then just a longboard. like i said before, its just my opinion, I personally dont like longboarding, I like skating bowls and transition and you can't really do that on a longboard (obviously you can but its not the same.)
But anways, i dont want this thread to get any more derailed.

Fecal Face
08-06-2013, 08:51 AM
- Shakejunt/grizzly/coloured grip
- Tensor trucks
- a board for the graphics, unless its your size and you like the shape first
- a longboard

also, support your local shop over a mall shop if you can.

only advice needed