PDA

View Full Version : Advice for dropping off resumes/ doing interviews

SmurfsInABox
09-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Advice for dropping off resumes/ doing interviews

I'm moving to work in Whistler (the mecca of Canadian snowboarding) this year and need to find a new job ASAP. I've been working at the same place for a year now so I'm a bit rusty when it comes to dropping off resumes and applying for jobs. I'm just wondering if any of you have some advice, seeing as the majority of you probably have more experience and knowledge than myself. I'm mainly just afraid of coming across as being too childish or being judged solely on my age (I'm 18). Tips, tricks, any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Smurfs

PoppySquidJr
09-19-2013, 01:40 PM
When in the interview, don't be afraid to ask some questions yourself. The more the interview feels like a formal conversation, the better your odds. It'll leave a better impression of you, you'll seem more likeable, curious (in the good way), and interested. :)

HCH Media
09-19-2013, 05:05 PM
do a little research of the company and ask some questions about it . showing interest about the job is a really important thing .

Roccityroller
09-19-2013, 08:05 PM
When in the interview, don't be afraid to ask some questions yourself. The more the interview feels like a formal conversation, the better your odds. It'll leave a better impression of you, you'll seem more likeable, curious (in the good way), and interested. :)

This.

the interview is just as much about you interviewing your potential employer as it is about them questioning you. Ask questions, seem interested, ???, profit.

thesignguy
09-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Yeah but you are only 18

Learn how to bullshit very very well

Edit:
You must be skipping a higher education. That's fine. But if you want to really succeed you will need to learn a trade by working hard. Then start on your own with as little as possible only after you know everything there is to know about that trade.

Handing in a perfect resume ain't gonna make you rich

SmurfsInABox
09-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the great tips guys :)

You must be skipping a higher education. That's fine. But if you want to really succeed you will need to learn a trade by working hard. Then start on your own with as little as possible only after you know everything there is to know about that trade.

I'm only planning on taking the year off.
I've been warned of the risks that come with taking a break from school.
I plan on going to University to study architecture once I've had my year of fun :p

XImortalDEATHX
09-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Good luck. My only job was at a kids camp last summer.

Gonna miss you bbysmrfs

SmurfsInABox
09-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Interview day......

echoturbo
09-27-2013, 08:19 PM
how did it go?

HCH Media
09-28-2013, 07:14 AM
update ???

SmurfsInABox
09-28-2013, 12:44 PM
I think that it went really well. The guy interviewing me was really nice and definitely seemed willing to work with someone my age.
I'm not sure if my interviewer is in charge of hiring the new staff; Although, if he is, then I think I definitely got the job.
Thanks again for all of the great tips on being a better interview candidate guys!

I should know in the next few days whether or not I got the job.
I'll keep you guys posted on any news.

SmurfsInABox
09-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Update: Didn't get the job. Really bummed right now. Not really sure where to go from here.