PDA

View Full Version : fake skate inspiration

momadaddy
11-25-2013, 06:29 PM
i just realized that my fake skate style comes mostly from one source.... rollerblading. i bladed from about 4th grade till i was about 22. almost every day. i had to stop because i had a stroke. anyways i still watch a lot skateboarding and rolling. i have always thought that my approach to spots and trick selection was fairly unique in the fake skate community for better or worse. i could never put my finger on it but tonight it hit me. it is my rolling background. just check out this videoand see what i am talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu6wk5W0Nqc

what i want to to know is what is your fake skate inspiration? is it real life skateboarding, snowboarding, other fake skaters, or something completely different? i would like to know.

Goon_Panda
11-25-2013, 06:57 PM
I feel as if I get my inspiration from motocross. Usually in S3 I tend to just go for big gaps and go real quick and shit rather than doing technical stuff. I used to compete in mx so I guess that's where the influence came from.

Muhzzy
11-25-2013, 10:44 PM
That's pretty cool, moma. I see what you mean after watching the video.

I'm not really sure where I get my fake skate style from, I may have to think about it and come back. Cool thread idea though.

NotedDerk
11-26-2013, 02:41 AM
My main goal for skating in general is just to hit things in an unusual way, never been a fan of the typical do a single trick down a handrail or over a gap. I enjoy seeing it from other people though, the thrill of progress even for other people gets me hyped. Friends would show me parts and videos at the local skate shop of only the type of skating I mentioned before and I thought, where is the creativity? Shortly after getting involved with the fake skate games, I learned about Richie, Spencer, Melcher, Nyberg, Attila, they constantly inspire me. Seeing others play the fake skate games like the way I like to play is another obvious source of inspiration. It just gets harder and harder for me to play though, less free time and I always set to make my next part better then the last so I reject almost everything I aim for.

briden
11-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Fully Flared was a huge inspiration because of the timing of it's release and me getting an Xbox and Skate 1 within a month of each other. Early-mid 2000's skate videos are still a huge part of how I skate in the game, the DC video specifically. That point in time really shaped my IRL skating as well, so there's definitely a link between the two. I tore my achilles a few months before the game came out so I nerded out on RL skate videos super hard when I couldn't skate. I probably never would have even gotten an xbox if I hadn't gotten hurt, but I definitely replicated stuff from RL videos because of it. For those who don't know, I actually started out doing RL remakes, skate-nerd level 1000.

More recently I've been inspired by making videos. Envisioning a trick because I see it going well with a certain song, in a certain edit and then finding a place to do it in-game. I never really planned stuff out like that in the first 4 years of playing these games, it was always doing the trick and then the videos came when I had enough footage for a part. But now I'll have the whole part planned out in my head, then try to get clips to fit with the edit. It takes so much longer to make a part this way, but that kind of makes it more worthwhile.

thesignguy
11-28-2013, 03:56 AM
Music and trying hard to not look like any other fake skater

i am a snail
11-28-2013, 07:22 AM
when i first started making videos i had absolutely no idea what i was doing beyond seeing a lot of other people around kid's table making vids around the time skate 3 first came out, so my first thoughts were "you guys seem cool!!!! i wanna be like you guys!!!!! yeah!!!!" and a lot of my older videos were really just me fucking around on whatever thing i happened to be skating on. a lot of my older videos didn't even really have any sort of planned tricks, just stuff i did that i thought "wow that was pretty cool!!" then i started hanging around skatecc with some of the guys over there who were a huge help, and that got me to start taking IRL skate videos into account for what i might be able to make look good in-game. it took me a while to really get the hang of translating what was in my head into the actual game though and a lot of that came from watching other people's fakeskate vids, so in a way i could say my biggest inspiration would be you guys.

i am a snail
11-28-2013, 07:23 AM
My main goal for skating in general is just to hit things in an unusual way

go polejam a scooter c:

Poncho Lord
11-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Bert Wootton and FL skating at large

crni1976
11-28-2013, 10:10 AM
What I usually enjoy most is fierce, highly energetic skateboarding that demands full attention and immediately grabs the viewer by the throat. The Elephant short features currently posted by Mike V through FB are a fine example of this.

Conceptually, you generally could consider such features, which are a little rough or grimy around the edges as a shock and awe approach to things: Shock and awe (technically known as rapid dominance) is a military doctrine based on the use of overwhelming power, dominant battlefield awareness, dominant maneuvers, and spectacular displays of force to paralyze an adversary's perception of the battlefield and destroy its will to fight. The doctrine was written by Harlan K. Ullman and James P. Wade in 1996 and is a product of the National Defense University of the United States.

Please note however that I do not endorse warfare in general, let alone the aforementioned doctrine as a military strategy.

As far as fakeskating is concerned however, I do find such inspiration in Moma and Sickone to name a few.

Then again, I also find inspiration in real life skaters that have tremendous natural flair and style. Daewon comes to mind.

PoppySquidJr
11-28-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm just a cheapo who milks bodyjars because some of you guys seemed to like it. <3

Realistically though, most of my inspiration just comes from fucking around with friends in the game. I try something stupid, and sometimes it works and winds up looking really cool. Then I try to make sure I can do it intentionally before I film it. A lot of inspiration from 80s skating, too. Bonelesses are awesome.

Roccityroller
11-28-2013, 05:57 PM
I blade, so obviously I look at fake skate like blading. but with different tricks.

and that part you posted is on of the best. Broskow is essentially the epitome of perfection in rollerblading. You can watch any section by him and you will NOT find a sketchy landing, yet he continually pushes the sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B86PJ5iOyK0

Muhzzy
12-01-2013, 10:21 PM
When I first starting making videos, I sucked at everything. Then after joining fluckit and seeing how you guys did your thing, I decided that I needed to change everything up if I'm going to put out good content. So I just watched video after video, studied the filming, skate style, fillers, all that stuff from a bunch of different fake skaters and just took what I had been watching and switch it up a little bit so it won't seem like I'm copying a particular person. I'm probably not making any sense, but I guess my style comes from a lot of you guys here on fluckit.... I know, I'm lame. But I think lately I've started to find my own 'style' of doing certain things when it comes to filming, skating and editing.

crni1976
12-02-2013, 02:01 AM
Mentioning natural flow, flair, style and inspiration, I used to watch this video over and over again. A classic indeed.

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/component/option,com_hwdvideoshare/Itemid,90/lang,en/task,viewvideo/video_id,1465/

Muhzzy
12-02-2013, 02:52 AM
Wow, that was such a good video. I didn't want it to end.

Antwan
12-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Always did my thing, start to finish. Wasn't always pretty but it was always fun.
It was a combination of things that kept me going, OATS, mainly, so when they left it started dying for me.
Nothing against anyone or any style, that's just who I preferred to watch.
You gotta be a bit crazy to pull off some of the things I did, it was great, for a while.
Obviously real skating, sometimes I would note down lines or combinations I dug from all kinds of pros, that's how I was making the "good" and the "bad" videos.
Always added something extra to the things I noted though and it kept it fresh for me all these years.