PDA

View Full Version : How did you get into fakeskating?

Legba
08-01-2014, 09:01 AM
What up Fluckers?

I suspect this topic has already been covered here, but I'd like to hear it from the currently active dudes:

How did you get into fakeskating?

I was a latecomer to the pastime. I've been playing skate adamantly since the OG 360 demo. I had just started 11th grade when OG dropped. I had it pre-ordered, and immediately began pouring lifehours into San Van. I would do all challenges and freeskate for hours on end on hardcore, but never really filmed. I got more into filming in 2, but only uploaded clips to .reel. The thought of making an edit never held my interest.

At that point, the only edits I had seen were remakes of pro's real-life parts - which I thought was the corniest/nerdiest thing someone could do with the game. Still, I cherished S2, and played it for hundreds of hours (many of which online).

I hated S3 based off its demo alone. The graphics, the physics, and worst of all, the environment! The whole thing felt rushed to me, and I foresaw a horde of arcade-style trickliners clinging to the whole online team feature (I was sad to be right about that later), so I passed on S3 for a solid 6 months after its release. Refusing to play it and continuing to revel in S2.

--Then I went to the inaugural NY Maloof Money Cup. Skate had a tent there with 3 consoles set up, and a big screen showing all these edits from the online community. Everyone was cramming in to play, so I just stood back and watched the edits; I was blown away. The sheer creativity rivaled that of real skating. The recognizable differences in style from person to person were uncanny. Suddenly I felt like a fakeskate bigot, or some luddite living under a boulder of his own preconceptions. I had been so so wrong.

After about 10 minutes of enjoying the footage, I looked over and saw Cuz standing directly to my left. I turned to him and shared my appreciation of the edits, as well as my gripes with S3. He agreed that the game was a rushed effort, but really fun once you get used to the differences. We then walked over to a console and played together. He showed me some lines and favorite spots, and we passed the controller. I finally got it.

I went and bought a copy with my next check (a couple weeks later) and came to enjoy S3. I didn't find Fluckit for a whole nother year, but I'm still glad I got into it at all. I could've completely missed out on all of the awesome stuff this community generates (though I did catch glimpses on the shitty EA forums prior).

Even if I missed the golden days, I'm grateful to have been present for any days at all here.

Keep Fluckin y'all.

itsNJ
08-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Played skate since the beginning.OG was the reason I bought a 360. Discovered the community during skate 2 era after stumbling onto one of Linny's videos.

Muhzzy
08-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Coolest fucking story ever, Legba... Playing skate with THE MAN himself, rad af. Would be awesome to see those edits they were showing now. Thanks for sharing man!

I have been playing skate since OG. I remember being like 13 in 2007 I think and I would BEG my mom to take me to Wal Mart because they had the demo for OG at the electronics section. I would stand there for hours while she grocery shopped just rolling around, trying to master the tricks. I would get lost in that game and just space out.

It eventually came out on September 14th (day after my birthday) and I was so hype to play it. Played that game sooooo much. Hours on end, all weekend etc. Then eventually S2 came out and I was even more excited about its release because I watched all the videos and teaser trailers for it, I was so excited about being able to get off your board. Got it and played it like crazy as well, I would always do tricks and just watch them on replay, but never even thought about filming, honesty I didn't even know you could use the free cam like that. Also I had never seen any edits on YouTube, it just never crossed my mind to watch skate 2 edits.

Well then eventually S3 came out and back then I was bought on the underflips haha (hate them now) pretty much the only game I played for a good 2 years after its release. Stopped playing for a while and played a lot of Gears of War 3, still do, but then I eventually got back into it because I had stumbled across one of Saunders' videos on skate 3. Then I went to his channel and watched every single one, I rememebr just thinking that I want to do this. I loved his videos and wondered how he even filmed like that. Eventually I figured it out and bought myself a cap card, made my first shitty video (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=atnZSrYAmYY) and then found out about fluckit shortly after through Pancancakes.

Love this site and enjoy talking to you fluckers!

Roccityroller
08-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Played tony hawk religiously when i was younger. When i finally got a 360 i went out and bought whatever the newest tony hawk game was at the time. The guy at the gamestore was like "if you like this you should check out EA Skate., theres a demo on Live, it comes out in a couple weeks"

So i purchased my game and headed home. I had to work in the morning so i played hawk until about 11:30 and was going to go to bed when i remembered what the guy said about EA Skate. So i downloaded them demo while i took a shower and then figured i'd play for a couple minutes before i went to bed.

Everything struck me as new and fresh, mostly the fact that different landings created different types of animations (something that found its way into my fake skating), i played until 5 AM... over and over and over with the demo. Went straight to work and all i could think about was playing that game. So i started reading about it online. Theres a whole city to explore, you can go wherever you want, and there's still a story. I'm in. I took Tony Hawk back the following day and put the trade-in value on an EA Skate. pre-order.

all i did for the next two weeks was play the demo and read online. so i started finding videos and watching peoples edits. I've always edited blade flicks so i instantly thought "holy shit that's awesome" but i never mad an OG video. I got so soaked into just skating for hours that i never filmed in OG. I never paid much attention to the community, never learned popless, low pop, etc. I just wanted to learn the roof glitch so i could explore more and more.

The day before S2 came out i decided to film a video at the CC. then when s2 came out all i wanted to do was film. so i did, we joined a team (steez.this), a few of us broke away from that team (triple threat) and built an empire of our own. Then right before S3 came out we merged with Hoodlum after they did some re-structuring that i was impressed with.

the series definitely declined, but we learned quick that it wasn't about the game, it was about sitting in a free skate with your friends til 4 am going "oh shit, check out this spot first one to gap through there gets the e-monies". I've had a lot of good memories playing this game and i don't think anything will ever compare.

XImortalDEATHX
08-01-2014, 10:15 AM
My Dad suggested me Skate2 shortly after it released. Didn't know much about skating then, didn't care. It became my favourite game shortly, but still no attention to actual skating. I got s3 not even a week after it released, and it shouldn't come as a surprise that then, at my age, I leaned more to the arcade-ish fluorescent clothing style. That continued for a while.... then once my Xbox lost connection to the internet for about 9 months (none of us knew what to do to fix it), I hesitated to play as much.

But I started to play s3 more and more, and watching videos that helped me understand things like true switch, low pop, etc. I also watched those videos that group of guys made at that oversized berrics I believe chiliFRAT made, which made me want to start playing more "realistic".

Sure enough, I got my xbox connected again, and started playing in a way that my old friends didn't understand, so I tended to play by myself a lot, constantly trying to find someone who resembled that style in public games. I hardly succeeded at all, but I still had those videos to watch. One of which was by a guy who was known as Bitsofbacon, or something, who posted a video of quick wallie blunt at a park for LikeButter. He linked LB it in the description, and I was amazed that a game had its own, community built magazine.

I still searched for people in public games and one time, I joined an Art Gallery lobby, and whenever I joined public games I would usually go through the cameras, just to see if anyone played the game in the way a lot of people here would be used to. And this time, at the old pool out past the fence, there was a guy whos gt at the time was deadhead3477, i believe, and he was pumping around the pool (not pushing on vert), not ollieing to airs, slashing the coping, etc.

So I made my way there, and without having headsets on, we started to take runs in the bowl, then posting up on coping when we bailed or were finished. I proposed that oversized berrics, and only me and him had the dlc for it. We started talking (which came as a surprise as he was into his 20's and I was what, twelve?)and played a game of skate, which I sucked at, but I was still playing with someone who played similar. I made friends with him, the eventually his friends, etc. Then he told me about fluckit, which I had seen on LB, but never clicked on it. He suggested I join, which I did, but I never frequented the site. Maybe I though LB was prettier looking.

I'm not sure why I started to come here more all of a sudden, but I'm glad I did. Then, I started to get more and more into the community within the next couple years, and for those who have been here well before reel died, might know that I made graphics and parks, then eventually photos and even a couple videos. Not nearly as active as I was then, but I'm glad I had the fun I did with these games and this site, and I'll continue to visit this site for a long time.

HCH Media
08-01-2014, 10:19 AM
damn nice thread Legba i'm really interested about what all the other guys have to say too .

im 33 now and i think i playd almost every skate game that ever was released . i started skating ungrindables in Tony Hawk's Pro Skate 3 ther was a snowboard physics mode ( i bet i have some footy on a super old cam corder some where) .

now to skate . :-)

i never bought a console by release time always 1 year or so later so but i saw a pic on a cover of a gamer mag with the EA skate logo and damn i couldn't talk about anything other , after 1 week my girlfriend was so annoyed of me so went to the technics market to check what a xbox or ps3 will cost with the game and damn that shit was expensiv O.O . so i waited some time to get a used on . than got a ps3 and the game . and i was totally in love ,,and shocked because the game was so different and hard i thought this will take years and years to master and it was :-) lol ................

lil nerd rent: i really liked that big street gep stuff since day 1 and i found this gap at the matrix plaza and i tried for over 1 month to ollie or kick flip that huge gap all my friends and my girlfriend are like damn you still trying this ? O.o and than finally made that kickflip at 3am with 3 guys and my girlfriend on the couch screaming like crazy . yeah and a lot of shit went down there since that night :-)

the first gap is it :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxjnA0Z5LSc&list=PL5Fkv44RMjmYZ0nk332nDrOFHqCp2CpPo&index=2

skate 2
s2 was the time when my knee got fuckt and i started doing realistic stuff ......... rough times :-/

skate 3
i totaly agree with you Legba i wasn't either a big fan of skate 3 the main map is soooo poorly made ...other thing was i was really into COD at this time shooting people in the face and shit , what i still like ;-)
i just playd online from time to time with my homie pixel junki ....... after awhile i downloaded PLAZA CATALAN by Yarivpa and he introduced me to the merch glitch . and damn this makes the game so much better started building parks and videos again met muhzzy and he introduced me to fluckit (thankyouBro) yeah and creep around since then :-) and like always sorry for my horribel enlish ;-)

emericaridr11
08-01-2014, 10:58 AM
OG Demo!!.... got xbox cause of the OG Demo

never looked back

thesignguy
08-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Yes this thread has been done multiple times but so what

I got Skate... day when it was first available (about a week late for some reason)
Never a gamer but I always skated and I played the Tony Hawk series but when I saw demo footage of Skate my jaw dropped. At first I got hooked on Spot Battle because I had never played anything with other people before. I never turned my PS3 off. I would play any chance I got. I ended up ranked in the 20's I think (I had a pic of it somewhere) Then it started getting lame with all the racking up the meter or whatever it was called. Well one of the load screens I think listed the EA site so I went there to rant about fixing the special meter so it wasn't so lame anymore. Thats when on my first post I met Pawn. For some reason he came in and politely said I should stop worrying about what other people do and do my own thing. Well.... that was the motto me and my friends always stood by so I did just that. Next day I saw a thread started by Pawn and I was blown away. I never even thought of 1. playing the game that way or 2. recording my shit and making videos.
I then did my own video (which we all did) and I got railed by Adopted and Revo (who both I respect now) I was always into punk rock especially with skating but it really doesn't go with my style and Revo let me know haha. Adopted just told me how lame everything was (which it was, but it was hard) I did a few more solos and Pawn was always totally cool with my shit. Then we played a game of SKATE between me pawn and few other old heads and that REALLY honed my stick flicking. Especially Pawn's tricks and Midnites (from DP) tricks. It went on and on until me and midnite basically stopped (he won) Anyway this got the attention of most of the community back then. I met almost all of my fakeskate connections through that thread at EA.
I like most got sick of the BS over there and came to Fluckit with Pawn, Demz, Emmitt, Joker and crazyboarder. Them were the days we just had fun all day long back then, I was hooked on Fluckit. I was on here 24/7 joking and kidding around with all of these great guys. More and more cooler likeminded dudes made there way over here and some didn't last because we just didn't put up with any shit. A lot of people thought it was because we thought we were better than them or something but it was never that way.
Then S2 started to come out and Pawn asked me if I wanted to start OATS with him. I never wanted to skate online with anyone or start a "team" it just seamed stupid and honestly something I would be ashamed of to my friends haha. But it was Pawn and I thought in the beginning I would just make a couple of these and move on. He showed me clips of Tubs (who I think might be the most underrated fake skater ever) and I was like holy shit we got something cool here. We tried to get Demz.... I think I still have all of our back and forth PM's saved somewhere. Anyway he went back and forth with us but he had two hangups 1. he wanted to call it 1954 which I didn't care and I don't remember Pawn caring either (demz had anchors on board I think already) 2. Demz had already kind of committed to Magic. So that fell through.
We started OATS with the three of us and Pawn's best friend Mustafiz (rad dude) Now we have made 11 fulls (a record that still stands I think)

i am a snail
08-01-2014, 11:35 AM
got OG for christmas the year it came out and was practically glued to my tv from that point on. i think the first edit i ever saw was one of TNO's old videos, the lost spots i think. i didn't have a ps3 online until around the time skate 3 came out which is when i REALLY started getting into making videos and stuff. i used to be terrible but i got a lot of help from the guys around kid's table, henchman and fu manchu days etc. chasmj taught me how to do shitty edits in imovie and i just kinda kept playing and getting better from there.

pawnluvguitarist
08-01-2014, 01:33 PM
I've been an avid gamer since I was a toddler playing the original Mario. I played the THPS series religiously. Both multi million point trick combos and sim mode, realistic skating. I had been skateboarding in real life for a few years before Skate came out.

I started playing Skate right when the demo dropped. I quickly discovered ungrindables and that's all I did in the game for a while. I searched for the Skate forum, wanting to spread the word, hoping that they could be incorporated into future games, maybe just being cleaned up and refined a bit. I made a few UG vids. Then after seeing Demz skate I was inspired to find different ways to challenge myself...
I started incorporating the popless, bonks double grinds and all that tech stuff. SG pretty much covered all the OATS and Fluckit stuff.

SK8ERatWAR
08-02-2014, 06:55 AM
I too got my xbox for one reason, like many others here, for skate.
I was never really satisfied with thps because it wasn't realistic enough.
So one day I was skating with some friends of mine and one of 'em brings up the og demo that was out, I believe we went home immediately after he told us and played together for the rest of the day.
And after that we always played together. When skate 2 came out, we started going our own ways, they stopped playing the game eventually and then I found how fun it was to make video's, having your own music under your own tricks you've done.
I really got into making vids when skate 3 came out, I had made like 4 or 5 vids of s2. And after I really got into making the vids I started looking for more people and got into a couple of teams and eventually stumbled upon this magical forum.
I believe skate and making video's actually defined me more than anything I did in life for a couple of years, I wasn't so good at real skateboarding so I felt free in playing skate, that's why it was so big for me.

Legba
08-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Forreal Muhzzy , he really was just as nerd-hyped on skate as any of us. Such a genuine dude!

Glad to come on & see all these walls of text.
Im not surprised that most of us have been down since the demo, but it's so kool how our paths to Fluckit vary.

THPS Underground was my favorite of the series (highest difficulty/gravity) but Thrasher skate & Destroy was my overall favorite before skate. The transition from Hawk to here is a convoluted one.

I agree with Roccity that my experience with skate has been unlike any before it and probably after it.
Worth every last hour.

Thanks for replying guys

Hitmanx123
08-05-2014, 04:23 PM
i didnt "get into" fakeskating, i am fakeskating

Muhzzy
08-05-2014, 05:02 PM
i didnt "get into" fakeskating, i am fakeskating

Win.