PDA

View Full Version : Looking to make some drum beats

SonicKaos
11-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Not sure how to go about doing so though.

Went out today and bought a patch cable that'll allow me to hook my bass (and guitars as well obviously, so I can borrow friends) directly to my computer and record. So I have those, and I could likely use it for a mic as well should the need arise... but I'm lacking something pretty important - drums.

You guys have any programs you like to use to make your drum patterns? I'd love to get a drum set, but... well they cost a lot and make a lot of noise, and the electronic ones that make little noise cost even more. That's not factoring in a set of drum mics and whatnot as well if I even bought a drum set. Currently I have access to a friend's stuff who has a set and drum mics, but I can only go there on weekends (he's away at college on weekdays). Since he's there, I can't really just do my own thing at my own pace either... and he would annoy the heck out of me if I tried making the kind of music I like, because he doesn't like it.

So I need a way to make my own drum beats, because then I can give creating a song a shot for fun. Any ideas?

Roccityroller
11-28-2009, 10:29 PM
FL Studio... talk to magic, i'm sure he can better tell you what you need.

knexzor
11-29-2009, 03:24 AM
FL Studio is cool as Roc said.

There's another, much more simple program that's call Acoustica Beatcraft. It actually works pretty good but the sound gets a tad generic

blackhawk17
11-29-2009, 07:20 AM
sonic tell me u picked up the line 6 port thing. if u did let me know how it is ive been debating piking this up for about a good year now

SonicKaos
11-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can get one of those sometime soon. I'll also ask Magic about it though lol... figured I would anyway.

As for the line 6 port, sorry blackhawk. All I bought was a 1/4 inch to 1/8th inch patch cord to make it happen. Plug my bass into my amp, and plug the amp into my PC. Alternatively I can also plug my bass straight into my PC as well, though then I can't really hear anything obviously.

blackhawk17
11-29-2009, 12:49 PM
how is ur amp connected to ur computer im interested now...

SonicKaos
11-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Exactly like I said above...

Bass plugged into amp with a patch cable. Amp plugged into PC with a quarter inch to 1/8th inch patch cable. My amp has a headphone jack and another jack that says "CD Input," but for whatever reason it also works as an output as well. It doesn't seem to work perfectly at this time, because there is some buzzing and stuff when I do it that way right now. I haven't had any time to play with it or the settings on my computer just yet though so hopefully i can fix it up. If not, plugging my bass directly into my PC also works perfectly well, though I can't hear what I'm playing until after I've done it. I think that could be fixed as well, because I bet my soundcard can support it and output what's being recorded at the same time.

I have to play around with it still... Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some time to do so.