PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Thing i have experienced in my entire life

switchFooTexas
09-26-2008, 09:41 PM
It happened together. Not to sound like a girl but thinking about it completely shattered by soul. I went to gamestop today to go preorder fifa 09, and infront of me in a line there was a man, probably in his mid 30s, attempting to buy Half-Life 2 on the PC. At first glance it did not occur to me but this man i later found out was mentally challenged. He walks up to the counter pulls out a $100 bill and puts in the counter and with a very big smile says, "Ring it up friend." The gamestop employee then got the strangest look on his face. In a reluctant tone he had to tell the mentally challenged man about how there is a no returns policy and how half-life 2 is a very demanding game. The gamestop employee did not want to take this man's money and have him stuck with it. The mentally challenged man did not take this lightly and i could tell he was hurt, very badly. I then spoke up from behind and offered to check his PC specs for him. He chipped up right away, and told me what kind of computer he had. I had my laptop in my car and the shopping center there has WiFi so i looked up. Unfortuanately, it did not meet the requirements and i was now faced with telling this man the thing he did not want to hear. It was honestly, the worst thing i've ever had to do ever. I felt like i just tore him down from the inside out and he just thanked, calling me a friend, and walked back to his mother's car, i assume, and they drove off.

This whole experience got me thinking about what it must be like to be mentally challenged. This man could function in society, but he would never have the chance because of his disability. They are forced into their own little world. I have a cousin who was hit by 2 cars and now has the mental capacity of a 10 year old. She really, hasn't changed all that much. But she no longer can talk to her same friends, she forgets everything, and is forced into a "world" that no one knew about. They are really no different then us, they talk to their friends, have fun, have inside jokes, have people they don't like, talk about boys or girls they like. It's so horrible to think that these people are barely different from us but we can't talk in public without feeling weird about it.

Really this is just to get some things out, just a big paragraph of observations and things that make me sad :/

Anyways, yes that was really the hardest thing i think i've ever had to do. I'm now considering changing my major so that i can be an aid to people like the man i met today.

Regards,
Joey

EmmitBrown
09-26-2008, 09:46 PM
nvm.....

blackhawk17
09-26-2008, 10:08 PM
house keeping?
house keeping!
me clean now?
me join in?
me stick finger in your mouth.
housekeeping?
house keeping! :)

Get Stoked
09-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Pretty intense dude!

nowwecanmakewar
09-27-2008, 06:18 PM
That sucks completely and to hear about a possible career change due to the experience is very commendable (spelling).

This reminded me of an experience about 3 or 4 years ago, I was coming out of work at a body shop and we had a mentally challenged school I guess you call it about a block away and they walk the students around the block around the same time I get off, so I always see them pass by.

This certain day I happen to be listening to Modest Mouse's Dance Hall, not really a fan of the song it was just the next song on the CD and I have a pet peve of listening to CDs from start to finish. Anyway, Dance Hall comes on, and I had my windows down and I guess it was decently loud and they heard it and all of the students, probably around 8 - 10 started dancing across the cross way, spinning, making trumpet gestures, i mean the works. It was so in unison you wouldn't believe it. It was one of the happiest memories I have as awkward as that is. Because of it also I have a better appreciation of those who work with the mentally challenged, not to mention a better appreciation of the song.

Hitmanx123
09-27-2008, 11:07 PM
wow...

ERIKDOTCOM
09-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Pretty intense dude!

Yeah seriously.

joker
09-28-2008, 02:32 PM
I feel the fact that you went out of your way to help this man "echoes" a lot about you. Kudos to you my friend....the carma thing will roll back your way. :)

Shifer
09-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I was at Dairy Queen yesterday and there was a van full of mentally challenged people.

fitzsy78
09-29-2008, 05:00 PM
there are some kids that have down syndrome at my school and this big faggot in my homeroom comes back and says that being behind the kids with down syndrome and said he almost threw up

i hate people like that are such dicks to them because they are a bit slow

KushKrashBOOM
09-30-2008, 12:26 PM
my dad used to work with mentally challanged people...
but i was young back then... and i was somewhat afraid of them
(they were adults not kids)

cant imagine what its like to live a life like they do....

BeLLy
09-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Respect switchfoot. That's why we gotta thank our lucky stars that we're blessed with being average, know what i mean?!

Shifer
09-30-2008, 08:24 PM
there are some kids that have down syndrome at my school and this big faggot in my homeroom comes back and says that being behind the kids with down syndrome and said he almost threw up

i hate people like that are such dicks to them because they are a bit slow

I know what you mean. I've known this one kid since i was in the 1st grade and I get pissed when people talk shit about him because he is a little bit slow.

Chinnny
10-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Props to you switchFooTexas, that was a really kind thing to do, even though he did get upset that you couldn't play his game, you stopped him from wasting his money, which is a very good deed. Props dude, props.

ERIKDOTCOM
10-03-2008, 08:19 PM
I know what you mean. I've known this one kid since i was in the 1st grade and I get pissed when people talk shit about him because he is a little bit slow.

Yeah, same here.:(