PDA

View Full Version : I have concerns.

Mourning Becomes Electra
04-24-2010, 03:16 AM
Whats with all the Tony Hawk-esque nonsense in Skate 3? Skateboarding slabs of meat? Zombies? Big heads? The ability to punch?

Is this really the closest thing to skating?

Black Box, I thank you for everything else you've done so far but I fear that you are treading down the wrong path. What next? BMX's? The ability to throw fruit? Skitching animals? Create your own graffiti?

Nip this in the bud now please.

schnavolda
04-24-2010, 03:45 AM
i think that this trailer isn't meant to be dead serious. therefor the t-shirt saying "this is not skateboarding".

we, the hardcore crowd, are only a part of the group that buy and play this game. i guess that more people play that game hall of meat style than ultra realistic. they need to make the game fun for both factions. only problem is when the jackass part gets bigger and more attention than the actual skating but with people like cuz and a lot of good skaters giving their names and input i don't see that happening.

Stevland
04-24-2010, 04:24 AM
i think that this trailer isn't meant to be dead serious. therefor the t-shirt saying "this is not skateboarding".

we, the hardcore crowd, are only a part of the group that buy and play this game. i guess that more people play that game hall of meat style than ultra realistic. they need to make the game fun for both factions. only problem is when the jackass part gets bigger and more attention than the actual skating but with people like cuz and a lot of good skaters giving their names and input i don't see that happening.

qft

Bud Muhnquai
04-24-2010, 04:37 AM
You know what? All of that stuff is optional. There's still going to be plenty of great stuff to skate that will satisfy the hardcore crowd.

Remember, Black Box would probably not have got to make S3 had they not agreed to cater for the larger audience - the audience that have come to expect that sort of thing. How many people, realistically, do you think are in the hardcore crowd, the video making crowd?

Not many.

How many are in the larger audience?

Many.

So, in order to get the funding to continue making a great skate experience us, they also have to provide something that is more likely to make the game sell.

It's simple economics. Put in something that the general public can enjoy or relate to and you'll be able to continue creating something that the smaller, more dedicated crowd can also enjoy. Without that Hawking going on, you'd have no new game.

I totally see where you're coming from, but you have to understand that other people play this game, for fun, for bailing, for zombies and steaks and skeletons... to think that this game is made just for the hardcore community is, really, quite a selfish outlook. Embrace the comedy they're injecting and understand that, deep down, they're only doing it to make sure they sell games and get to make more games in future. And enjoy the fact that all that stuff you don't like... you don't have to use.

Simple.

Mourning Becomes Electra
04-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Cheers for the feedback, I can totally see why Black Box have incorporated these 'comedic' features, and sure I can choose to ignore them much like I do with Hall of Meat. The thing is, this is how started with the Tony Hawk franchise and look how that turned out.

Further to the initial point, the replay value for me is the online functionality, freeskating and filming lines is where it's at. Imagine if you will spending the best part of an hour nailing that sick line you've been putting together with friends when out of nowhere some pillock lands on you dressed as pork chop?

Stevland
04-24-2010, 05:28 AM
why would you freeskate in a public room???

make a private room and no porkchop will ever bother you.

pawnluvguitarist
04-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Please dont compare Skate to THPS, THPS has never been realistic, come on, it took 8 games till grinds actually slowed you down, and even then they'd still give you a boost at first.

We got to skate as Dem Bonez when we broke all our bones, we probably unlock a piece of meat when we beat hall of meat ;)

Bud Muhnquai
04-24-2010, 05:55 AM
why would you freeskate in a public room???

make a private room and no porkchop will ever bother you.

This is all looks correct to me.

Mourning Becomes Electra
04-24-2010, 05:56 AM
why would you freeskate in a public room??

To meet other people, my entire friends list is made up from people I've freeskated with.

I make a comparison to the Tony Hawk franchise on the simple basis that it started adding elements that detracted from the game. I think for the time and effort it took to programme the 'nonsense' we could've had more worthwhile aspects introduced. I have no gripe with the physics or feel of the gameplay and welcome the challenge of playing in hardcore mode.

These are my opinions and I care how this series turns out.

If the comedy element doesn't bother you, fair play.

Bud Muhnquai
04-24-2010, 06:02 AM
We all care about how it turns out - I think there's just got to be a level of acceptance that we have to share it with a wider audience.

Stevland
04-24-2010, 06:17 AM
then meet people in a public room, leave the pork chops behind and go film in a private session. :)

i get your point though. but as people mentioned before, we, the video making, realistic skating, audience, are only a fraction of the actual people who play this game. if it was for me, get rid of the career, just give us a new city now and then. if it was like that, black box could be glad if the number of people buying this game would be in the 4digits.

they need to make money. they make the most money by catering their game to the widest audience possible. simple economics.

i also get your THPS comparison, but believe it or not, the main complaint about THPS was, that it was the same fucking thing every year. the general crowd needs something new now and then.

and as for being realistic, skate in it's core never was realistic either. the career is filled with over the top crap challenges. it's only realistic, cause we use it like that. as we will do with S3.

quetonto1
04-24-2010, 07:36 AM
don't know about other people

buttttttt i'm making all my solo's from now on with either a huge head or a slab of cow.

makes me unique

Demzilla
04-24-2010, 08:13 AM
its very true...
the th series went hay wire after they started adding all the bullshit...

but the thing that doesnt makes sense to me...
th never had a hardcore mode...

to me..
the skate series can add w.e. it wants...
as long as there something to counter-react the bullshit...

HARDCORE MODE...

if s3 adds meat and beach balls and fuckin hanggliding it doesnt really matter cause they have tried to add something for us.
hardcore mode...

and even more importantly...
in the years to come...
hardcore will always be there....
and if its there its could be improved...

more beach balls...
better hardcore mode...

bb has made the decision to cater to both groups...
and if you ask me..
GIVE ME MORE BULLSHIT....
it will only lead to more hardcore tweaks...

to me the bullshit is a blessing....
it takes two to tango....
cant have hardcore without the bullshit...

its fair...

jest118
04-24-2010, 08:25 AM
THPS was always completely unrealistic. You could grind rafters in the very first game. Hell.. even in Thrasher Skate and Destroy you could You could trick off the roof at the Santa Monica Courthouse and grind a Telephone Wire/Powerline thing from the roof in Venice.

The time would not have been better spent. It's not as if all of Black Box was working on a way to make a Giant Steak skateboard. It seems to me that the only thing people really have a problem with is the Grind Magnetism problem and that has to do with the Black Box guys who've been in charge of the Physics Coding. I absolutely guarantee that those guys have nothing to do with Animating a Steak, or any of that other madness.. nor do they have anything to do with making it unlockable.

Dev teams are split into sections... each section works on it's particular part and the leads on each team work together to make sure it all connects as seamlessly as possible.

Oh.. and it wasn't THPS or Mainstream gamers that made all that stuff popular. It was skateboarders. Core Skateboarders.

Think of it like this... Without CKY there is no Jackass/Viva La Bam/Wildboyz or any of that other crap. CKY had 3 VERY successful movies well before any of the TV shows exposed that shit to the mainstream world. So there is definitely a market for this shit within the Skateboarding community at large.

Also.. everyone keeps segmenting the audience between "Hardcore" players and Everyone Else. This game isn't aimed at either section individually. It's aimed at Skateboarders and Former Skateboarders first and foremost and not all Skateboarders want to play a Sim like game.

Roccityroller
04-24-2010, 09:04 AM
why can't they add "fun" things to the game without people saying it's going "THPS" style. if you don't want to have fun with the random shit... don't. But us shenaniganious fellows over at Triple Threat would like you to let us re-create our zombie apocalypse

robley
04-24-2010, 10:04 AM
stoked on porkchops.

Monk
04-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Think of it like this... Without CKY there is no Jackass/Viva La Bam /Wildboyz or any of that other crap. CKY had 3 VERY successful movies well before any of the TV shows exposed that shit to the mainstream world. So there is definitely a market for this shit within the Skateboarding community at large.

actually the first they had was called landspeed from the wheel company they did; that is where CKY ( the band) and jackass spawned from... i own the original vhs of it. via 1999

the name of the videos is off the band called Camp Kill Yourself. hence CKY.....

thought you knew............

http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=38945

BeatChemist
04-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Wait, is hall of meat halal this time?

:D

All this fussin... me... I'm stoked. May 11th can't get here fast enough.

heshfield
04-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Because Tony Hawk decided to make a crappy game that costs an arm and a leg, EA/BB saw the chance to gain a lot of new customers; adding slabs of beef was the most cost-effective way to do that.

jest118
04-26-2010, 04:25 PM
actually the first they had was called landspeed from the wheel company they did; that is where CKY ( the band) and jackass spawned from... i own the original vhs of it. via 1999

the name of the videos is off the band called Camp Kill Yourself. hence CKY.....

thought you knew............

http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=38945

Never said CKY was the first video just that the CKY vids were the vids that gained the popularity that made room for Jackass (which is true) and it's common knowledge that the vids are named after the band.

Not sure why you felt the need to try to call me out though.

Demzilla
04-27-2010, 08:07 AM
jest...monk...

what about shit, boob, and crap from bigbrother...

thats way back before cky 1....

jest118
04-27-2010, 09:55 AM
jest...monk...

what about shit, boob, and crap from bigbrother...

thats way back before cky 1....

They were. But were they as popular?

Bud Muhnquai
04-27-2010, 11:02 AM
What about the Bones Brigade video show? That has to predate pretty much any skate-related stupidity.

xx LiL sUpRa xx
04-29-2010, 11:11 AM
they have to satisfy the "realistic group" and the "arcade group"
or they'll lose sells and no skate 4...