PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Island *Spolier*

K05T0N
06-23-2010, 10:21 PM
For those who havent seen this movie leave this page now.... ok now that their gone whoever has seen it i have a few questions.

I understand the view that Teddy voluntarily choose to have the lobotomy at the end of the movie instead of living with what his wife had done and that he had killed his wife. What I do not understand is when the lead guy at shutter Island, the one that teddy meets at the lighthouse says they do not perform any surgeries...that he led teddy to the lighthouse because teddy had it in his head that they did. YET when he meets the doctor in the cave she tells him they do, and she tells him about the needles and the electric shock otherwise we would have no clue what the needle at the end of the movie in the white cloth meant if we didnt meet her. Yet the Lead guy says she did not exist...So I am confused. was Dicaprio fine the entire movie? and if they were doing the surgery where at? Also why did the crazy lady write "Run" on the notepad?

SeksulChokolate
06-24-2010, 10:39 AM
aight heres what I'm thinking

"was Dicaprio fine the entire movie?"

I believe that he was insane for the whole part until he had the surgery. When he met with George in the C building he told Teddy what had happened over the past two weeks. From Teddy's point of view it seemed as though George was saying it was his fault he got him into Shutter Island...not the fact that he beat him up for calling him Latus. The Rachel he met in her room was actually a nurse that worked on the island. Also, in the beginning of the movie when Teddy and his partner arrived at the island the gaurds started to act very strangely. This is because they knew of Teddy's aggresive behavior and were scared of what he might do to them. Finally, when they arrived at the main gate his partner was unable to pull the gun from his holster. This shows that he had no experience with a gun because he was really a doctor. However, I believe that after Teddy's first surgury, he was completely sane. He realized the reality of his situation and decided he would rather become a "robot" instead of living with his past.

"and if they were doing the surgery where at? "

I believe the surguries were done at the lighthouse because at the end when they sent him to recieve a lobotomy the lighthouse was the final shot in the movie.
Also, after his first procedure he woke up in the lighthouse.

Also why did the crazy lady write "Run" on the notepad?

Some may say that the lady was instructed to write "run" because they wanted to create the fealing that he was new to the island and unaware of the dangers. However, I believe that the lady was trying to help Teddy. She tried to break through to him and make him realize that he was just another "test".

K05T0N
06-24-2010, 05:43 PM
good call with the guards being on edge in the beginning i only watched it once so far so thinking back i know what ur sayin same with his partners gun.

so you definitely think that he was insane... because im thinking that maybe justtttt maybe they were trying to convince him that he was insane and that he played along, and when he went voluntarily to be lobotomized he was actually plotting his escape?? any thoughts

SeksulChokolate
06-24-2010, 06:38 PM
this movie really can go both ways...however, i watched the movie a second time and i watched the second time with the fact that he was insane. When I did this I saw little hints throughout the movie that this was the case. For one, when he was doing the interview with the people and he started to get a little on edge his partner kept taking glances to the gaurds, as if to signal that they should be ready in case he snaps.
Another thing, after meeting with George and they left the building he says to his partner "act as if we are supposed to be here". They passed two completely aware security gaurds. During this time all of the prisoners were lose so that would mean they would take extra precaution to who would enter and exit buildings, unless they knew that they actually did belong there

edit: and as for escaping by getting a lobotomy, it would be very hard to do so becuase of the amount of people surrounding him...idk i just think it would be tough

K05T0N
06-24-2010, 08:18 PM
im guessing youve seen fight club before?

Skatevid2
06-24-2010, 08:34 PM
I haven't seen the movie. but the whole hospital thing was filmed on my street. two houses down. it was awesome.

saw everything all the time.
cranes and shit.

some say it was great, some said it was bad. havent watched it yet though

K05T0N
06-24-2010, 08:59 PM
dude you gotta check it out one of the best flicks of the year in my opinion

anklbitinmidget
06-24-2010, 09:00 PM
From what I got from wikipedia,
The end of the movie is left with the interpetation that, since he is constantly referred to being "incredibly smart" throughout the movie, he is well aware that the only way he was going to get rid of the memories of his wife is to have the lobotomy so he fakes that he is still insane to go through with the procedure.
so it shows that the roleplaying as a detective did infact work and he saw the lobotamy as the only way to get rid of the truth he tried to forget.

K05T0N
06-24-2010, 09:12 PM
idk i dont think it worked because if in fact he was insane and they were trying to help him they wanted to do it naturally and not make him a zombie

SeksulChokolate
06-25-2010, 07:36 AM
yeah koston ive seen fight club
one of my favorite movies of all time
this one has gotta be up there too...

K05T0N
06-25-2010, 03:10 PM
yeah fight club is one of my bests i brought it up cuz its another movie that when you watch it the second time it gives little hints towards the ending. "tylers words coming out of my mouth"