PDA

View Full Version : What the skate series means....

SeksulChokolate
10-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Been doing a lot of thinking about this damn game. Going back to when it all began...first time we saw this game probably early 2007 late 2006...rob and big episode, "express yourself" trailer.

Caught all of our attentions, right?

We were so used to being exposed to a game about high scores and telephone wire grinds...now all of a sudden a game comes out that challenges the almighty Tony Hawk with this simple concept...a game completely dedicated to the true art of skateboarding. Not some wishy washy arcade game.
Then, some of us migrated over to the ea forums...looking to learn more
What happened next was a group of people willing to except this new change and gather in one area...

Even though we never even played this game yet we still formed a community...a kind of family
The new "flickit" layout was introduced and more and more emphasis on the fact of simplifying the skateboarding video game. We finally had a legit skating game. No more button mashing.
The Skate. community was listened to and greatly appreciated...all the old guys from BB listened to us.
Demo day. We all stayed up till three to download a 30 minute taste of what was to come...adjusting to the new controls, going back to the forums and building up more hype...
When the game dropped, the fact that there was a whole city with the rawest spots and most creative layout was overwhelming...
Teams formed
Solos recored by cameras
Skate.reel downloads introduced

The enthusiasm that was shown was probably something that the community and the people that made the game probably never really expected...
Skate 2 (skate 1.5 imo)...a half new city...completely new filming methods, off the board
pretty much a game that fixed the problems that lingered in og skate
Skate 3...hardcore...park creator...advertisements??

All of these elements, all of the late night sessions, rendering, graphic creator at work, filming a trick over and over, checking fluckit for the new full length...all stemmed from this original idea that a skateboarding game needs to be just that...a game just focused on what skating is really like. Now it seems like it's starting to move away from that original concept...advertising? laid out paths for us to skate...same 'ol 20 set kinked handrails.
A kind of bland and repetitive city

Because of this history, I don't think it's fair to just end the series...it still has to go on
Instead of just rushing to put four out...take time to make sure the city is as raw and detailed as San Van. Stick to the original plan of skate. Miracle Whip and pedestrian bowling aren't exactly the first things that remind me of skateboarding. Skate has been a huge part of all our lives (whether we like to admit to it or not :cool:) and the series needs to go out with a bang.

knexzor
10-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Nicely put, never really thought of it that way.
If the kids table wouldn't be such a mess this would be a great addition to Daily Grind

Antwan
10-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Hey man there's no avoiding the media machine..
in the words of jack black..
BECAUSE THE WORLD
IS RUNNED BY THE MAN

It is not the game I feel it's the players..
latching onto what "is skateboarding" in a completely virtual fake community bias made crap..
take what you want from it..
Someone said before that the architecture was off and things are almost not meant to be skated but some are..
look at the "mistakes" blackbox made.. didn't they give us that within a few flaws?
Besides all that.. what I'm getting at is the many gamers of the franchise had one thing they wanted, they needed..
flick it controls.. now that's been here a few years they are nitpicking just about anything and I get it you want a "perfect" game but in reality
you'll always find something if you're looking for it.. just play it.. just say it's OG be in that mindset Skate 3 has no flaw to me.. great.

Demzilla
10-18-2010, 05:44 PM
every cent bb has had..
has gone into directly what we want from day one....

1 money was the engine...
2 was walking and customization...
3 was difficulty and more customization...

every year they get a very small amount of money to work on the next game...
and every time they get the shit end of the stick they not only make due but also make incredible improvements in issues we worry about...

i stick up for blackbox because i understand the hardships of cost and time...
and ive also herd it from the employees them selfs how hard it is to make a skateboarding game...

this isnt stat related...
it isnt a yearly trading card game...
the entire realm of skateboarding relies on the player wanting to skate and dealing with the difficulties they spot selection demands...
its a hardcore game...
yet its also a casual game...

id hope the franchise wont die..
cause bb, ea and everybody else knows how large the skateboarding audience is...
we all have seen the tony hawk sales sky rocket...

our only issue now is our willingness to deal with our engine..
its downfalls and its exploits...
using our word of mouth to help make sales...

with skate3 and its terrible city i kinda find it as a blessing...
most folks that hammer on the engine forgot how bad it is and have accepted its difficulty range..
now we all worry about spot selection and how important a city needs to be...
which at heart is what skateboarding is about....
its very reminiscent of real skateboarding...

1 was learning its difficulty...
2 was testing its waters and understanding its leaps and boundaries...
3 has gone back to spot selection...

id hope 4 brings the giant world we so desperately need....
i hope 4 adds more customization than before...

after that its our job to keep that game on youtube..
keep telling our friends we play it...
keep breaking discs and buying more...
all dlc paid for...
doing what ever we have too to show electronic arts they needs blackbox and they need the skateboarding genres sales....

.skate means to me the same thing thrasher does...
its a blessing..
and while it may get old and dated...
its presentation and gameplay are a gods gift and something i will never forget...

Antwan
10-18-2010, 06:35 PM
yeah man imagine if there were no real spots at all..
it's not like they didn't balance us out on skate 3..
even then what is a perfect city when you have a large audience that ranges in age, skating style and realism vs. arcade? that battle has always been there..
that battle is what skating is about man.. pushing the limits of the game.. be it scoring as high as you can, doing glitches or skating real filming real editing real and sharing with other real skaters.. it's perfect the only thing I would change is the community so much put back on negativity.. adapt and take a new perspective.. aren't we skaters anyway?

punkinate
10-18-2010, 07:53 PM
This is the sappiest video game thread I've ever seen. This almost makes me feel a bit of pride to admit that this game has affected my life almost as much as Zelda when I was a kid. Skate 4 or not, there are very few games that can hold a community hostage like the Skate series. I don't see this dying anytime soon so hopefully they'll do a little pandering and make their next skate sim venture just for us. wow, I'm gay for this game.

Cacty
10-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Ahh BB, i applaud you,

you guys saw that there was a need change on the skateboarding game series, and you did something about it,

you took in community feedback, and implemented it into your games,

after skate 1 you clearly saw the needed additions and imrpovents

honesty, at the release of skate 2 i was worried that you guys were beginning to become a lazy company, and only caring about money, but i was wrong,

skate 3 might have a bland city, and garnered toward the casual gamer, but you guys implemented things for the hardcore gamers of this series, such as : hardcore mode,integration of team interaction in-game, park creator, and as always dlc.

Congratulations BB for making a great series and i hope skate 3 isnt the last installment in the series

Antwan
10-19-2010, 02:06 AM
Just have a good time, like you would with real skating.
Thank you,
Goodnight!

bohemian
10-19-2010, 03:12 AM
i wrote a huge ass paragrah on this.. just to read it over and DELETE it

bottomline is, skate series are great. its flawed, like everything else, but without it, wed be way worse off.

i love ea skate, and im thankful its there.

Skatehead
10-19-2010, 05:25 AM
worst game ever...

zeb
10-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Just have a good time, like you would with real skating.

word.....

Antwan
10-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Skate?
Fluck it.
We can get sobby in threads..
Through my learning of editing videos and a bit of graphic design
I'll be producing a commercial for an internet phone company "Audeo"
Probably long way away Audeo is really just beta but sick thing to be apart of.

mamba12
10-21-2010, 04:58 AM
I can pretty safely say I will be playing skate for a long time with these being the only other options in the foreseeable future. (skatehead and demz found the links)

tony hawk (http://www.volcom.com/news/article.asp?sid=&articleID=4958) streaks of lights behind you, ramped slowmo reality, inifinite lateflips, snowboarding? (LMMFAO @ them getting the first music credit wrong. its JAKE one not jack you retards)

shaun white (http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-shaun-white-skateboarding/17-3376/) streaks of light in front of you, WENDYS, exploding into balls when you bail, "buying tricks", INFLUENCE!

Antwan
10-23-2010, 04:46 PM
So what you're settling for skate.3 mamba?
I don't see why everyone sticks to skate 3 when they are so dedicated to precise measurement.. there are two other Skate. Games..
No Beef just makes me laugh..
I think everyone is just wanting a new installment so they look to point out little things that hardly matter when you are in fact enjoying your time in PC..
I find it Hard to believe the city sucks with all of this production while the EA Community is slipping it's at a high for media.

Monk
10-30-2010, 09:28 PM
well I've loved this game through its trials and tribulations since day one in the OG days...( since im not able to do it irl anymore due to injuries) but, there is something alot of the newer ppl don't realize...... that EA is going to spend their investments and time with Madden, NBA, and MBL ( and maybe even FIFA) period..its a hard fact of life, but those are the money makers.... their subsidiaries are secondary; which unfortunately is a bracket that we fall into. (even tho skateboarding is the fastest growing sport in the world bar none and a proven fact)

a LOT of pro skaters support this and even play constantly for teams ( joey B aka buck-one on the couch and has since day one also still puts out quality) most ppl here or anywhere else don't appreciate what ppl do for this game... ( making solos, video mags, websites other than this, etc) and that is sad tbh........... you should praise everything that is done for this " dying" series ( and yes it is dying even tho more ppl are coming out ) and most of these pros in the series isn't about the money at all its bout getting their name out at all.) josh friedburg even tweeted once saying he thought my 411's were from the devs of the game, but that is besides the point I'm trying to get across......

it is up to all of us to pull together as a full fledged community ( all sites included) to make that happen ( sadly never will, but still needed to be said)

and as far as skateboarding itself goes... we are still yet only at the beginning.... and it stokes the shit out of me when i see a new film coming out saying holy god that was huge or how he do that to get me pumped for the next irl or the S3 remake or something similar someone next to all of us is spending their time putting out. because everything done now irl wasnt possible in the early mid 90s period............and i grew up in the 80s skateboarding.

Antwan
10-30-2010, 10:22 PM
What do you think influences that Monk?
Do you think it's some of the skaters drive to be competitive that makes them produce quality and unique videos?
or is it just the 2010 mindset?
or is it something else?
I think it might be the competitive drive..
but some people get stuff twisted with competition and become intellectual idiots that diss on everyone it seems.. and saying that not just noticed in the ea community
but when I'm just out at a local park doing my thing 9-13 year olds will rad on me for skating different.. now I tend to skate tennis courts but thats beside the point.

EA Berrics
11-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Even if it has to take 3 years for S4, I really hope for one.
Something like an OGĀ², a new revolution in skateboarding games.
Could be done... I hope.

Hitmanx123
11-04-2010, 08:15 AM
im the best at the game so i believe my opinion is teh highest...

THIS GAME IS AWESOME BUT MAN DO WE NEED SOME NEW DEVS/TECHNOLOGY!

fallingskyline
11-05-2010, 05:27 AM
I've been playing THPS since day one, and when i saw the first bit of .skate i thought "this is going to fail" due to the fact with its complete new controll layout (flick-it). I inhaled every piece of info i could get about this different skateboarding game, and i came to the conclusion, this could be THE skateboarding game i always wanted and THPS could never give me, eventhough i was still worried about the control scheme. Then, oh i still remember the day, the demo of OG arrived, took me like 6 hours to download cause the servers have been so overcrowded, then finally try this. at first it felt odd to play with the sticks, but after playing the demo like a billion times (yeah for being able to get out of the demo <3) the controlls felt so natural, so much better then every skategame before.
When OG finally came out, i think i wasted so much time in it before i even realised, hey there's something going on outside the game. watching videomontages by stevland and tno and all those usual suspects like ujustgotadopted and the whole other hoodlum team, that was the point i thought, i wanna do such things :)
thanks to this great game i was introduced into video-editing. this game forced so much creativity out of me, no other game did before. getting on communities like skatethis, fluckit, cc, meeting a whole bunch of great people and make friends with em. how many games can say about them that they've built such a monster like skate did?
with the sequals sure came some minor problems but i think the positivs are weighing much more.
i sure hope that ea and bb keep delivering such greatness as they did with this series and continue keeping this series alive, and not see this as just a cashcow.

NO NEW DEVs ARE NEEDED! for the most games i've seen, new devs ment the sentence to death of the heart of the games!!!