PDA

View Full Version : snowboard help

K05T0N
01-17-2011, 12:42 AM
i recently started snowboarding and im considering buying a board, bindings, and goggles. any recommendations considering quality and price

heshfield
01-17-2011, 05:13 AM
What about boots? You should tryout boots first to get the most comfortable fit and build a setup around those. Bindings that fit well with said boots, a board that fits the bindings, etc. A really good brand with lower prices is Rome. As for goggles, get the ones that fit your face the best.

K05T0N
01-17-2011, 09:18 AM
haha completely forgot about the boots, good call

Roccityroller
01-17-2011, 09:19 AM
big thing is comfort. you're going to be on it 4-8 hours each time you go out. you don't want any pressure points on the boots cuz those will lead to numbness in your feet.

if you're going to be doing a lot of park riding, you'll want something with a little more flex.

some bindings come with something called a "gas pedal" which is where the front foot base of the binding is raised slightly, i've been told this makes it much easier to carve toe-side and keeps your toes from draggin.

big thing is not to break the bank until you know you're gonna be doing it alot. I see way to many newbs (mainly girls that want that 'snow bunny' look) that go out and buy a $600 board and $500 worth of gear and have never ridden before.

nosebonk
01-17-2011, 12:09 PM
To add on to what roc said, the more expensive boards tend to be out of reach for begginers too.

I'd recommend in investing in some decent boots, try a ton on - some boots to see would be Thirtytwo's - They've got an actual mouldable inner, unlike every other boot company, they like put the inner into an oven and it will fit your foot super good, but only if you've got the right foot shape...
I've got some salomon pledge's, they fit sick for me.....so basically get ones that fit and are soft flexing (unless you're super heavy)

Boards, maybe look into second hand or see if you can get any last season deals, definately look at begginer boards, maybe a jib board, (I'm rocking the K2 parkstar (this season's one) which is fucking sick, probably a bit pricey though...)

Bindings, basically same as the board, I learnt with flows then went with union forces like 2 years ago, kept them since.

Try get yourself to a test center or something too, it helps immensly to try out shit before you buy, boots for sure.

(Sorry for the essay, hope it helped :) )

Roccityroller
01-17-2011, 12:16 PM
do you guys have ski company/snow country in b-lo? i buy all my shit from there, they have new and used and most of them have one of the little treadmill dingys in the back for summer lessons but you can prolly talk them into letting you try some shit out, at least to see how it feels.

that and they give you 100% trade in credit if you trade up within 2 years.

Roccityroller
01-17-2011, 02:07 PM
if you're afraid to hit rails or boxes because you'll scratch your board, you probably spent too much money.

+1,000,000

i kept my first board for the longest time and would bring it with me when we'd go either street-boarding or hiking the woods around my house for some fun tree runs. Boards that you're not afraid to rip up make riding a shit ton more fun.

but now, my powder skis are so good in the park that i pretty much only take those to the mountains. Everyone i used to ride with has since moved away for school/work/etc so street-skiing is on the decline.

hit me up if you're ever out this way to ride, i'd be down to meet up at holiday valley, bristol, swain, or anything in between for a good day of ripping. got a couple boarder buddies that would go and i'm sure be able to help you out at learning some of the techniques. I can ride, but its been so long my teaching abilities are minimal.

K05T0N
01-17-2011, 03:48 PM
ever go to greek peak at all? thats the nearest mountain near my school.