PDA

View Full Version : S3 almost a year later

thesignguy
01-23-2011, 07:40 AM
We have had it now to the point of "I wonder what they are going to do with the next installment"
Well..... That ain't happening

What are your thoughts to this point? Where does it rank among the 3?

My thoughts:
Endless playability, CAP is like another game IMO, best addition to the franchise by far. I can spend months just making.
Hd, amazing! Videos have never looked better.
All in all I feel it's the best by a long shot. I am interested in popping in the other 2 especially s1 but I can't see that happening for a long time.

We had 3 years with this game, a lot of the dudes that moved on were at the age that life changed so much that I doubt they could stick with any video game.
I think video quality in every way has improved 10 folds from the other 2. So many really really good videos to watch these days.

This topic has been overplayed by a lot but I'm curious to see how any of you feel.

pawnluvguitarist
01-23-2011, 08:17 AM
we've always had the same kinda viewpoint on a lot of things and i agree with all of yours here.

CAP will make the game endless, you could see a spot in a vid, RL or whatever and just build it or just get creative with your own ideas.

Agreed video quality has never been so good, we are all getting better at skating, editing, filming over the years and Skate 3 has really made it easier.

On hardcore mode, i guess some people could call it a let down, and it does limit specific ollie heights, like 2 feet ish, but with realistic expectations of it I think it is really what sets S3 apart. Especially for transition skating, which im getting more heavily into now, hardcore mode mixed with custom transitions really is the best thing i've experienced in a skating game. I also think hardcore mode was the best thing for my style. I could get difficulty in a variety of ways instead of abusing popless to death. With hardcore mode you really have more control on your speed and height, it just feels more authentic. It may not be as smooth as in OG, but it just feels better.

and if this is really it for games, i still think theres a lot left to do

thesignguy
01-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Being able to build things to manipulate the physics of the engine is the shit. Adjusting the angle by 1% adding a ungrindable object to the top of a transition. So many possibilities

SeksulChokolate
01-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Yeah I agree. I think s3 was the best by a good margin...
CAP: Did not see it being this immense and taken to this kind of a level. People are making remakes and new spots perfectly and it drastically deepened the game.
CAS: Nothing really to complain about there
PC: The skate 3 map is special...sure at first glance it seems repetitive and boring, but you almost have to view it from a sideways perspective...make use of the object dropper and search a little bit harder for spots and it's like a whole new world opens up.
HC Mode: Could not say enough good things about hardcore mode. Completely revolutionized this series. Kickflip flat gap requires perfect speed and pop...could spend hours trying something that would take 5 tries in the other two games.
High Res Uploads/Improved AFC/In-game Ramps: Everything you need to film...nothing more

In all...this game/series is staying around for a while and we (fluckit) is staying around for a while.
Videos will keep being put out...new boundries will be created and broken

Skate 1 was a perfect beginning: Focus solely on skating and that's it...also a pretty damn good map
Skate 1.5 introduced us to a new age of filming

I'm happy with how the series ended...
We now have three awesome games until the next skateboarding series makes an appearance
Still a lot that can be added to a skating game
But I'll probably go back to skate even after that though (:

bohemian
01-23-2011, 09:54 AM
skate is cool and stuff, but ill still go with s1 if id had to pick one.

i thk im at apoint where the playing the game occationally and having fun just skating around, beats the make alot of stuff part. i see filming as a chore and editing even more so. i usd to love this aspect, espess with the introduction of the afc. i had a lot of fun with this, but the lat two years ive spent way more time editing cameras and angles, than actually trying tricks and playing.

s2 and even more s3 keeps letting me down with ugly glithcy animations and sloppy gameplay. apart from slow loading times and no afc (which i dont need anymore) s1 is my pick.

Cacty
01-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Imo each game was the best, in its time,

You cant really compare s1 to s3, due to the major improvents, and add ons s3 got,

the only real somewhat disappointment to me was s2, same city for the most part,

The only real addition other than new tricks was walking and object movement, im note hating on the game, i love it, im just comparing it as best as i can to the other skate games,

but overall this game series accomplished what as skateboarding video game should be about, authenticity.

MarcoPoloUSN
01-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Even though I haven't had three solid years with this franchise...

I 100% believe that EA Skate has revolutionized action sports video games in terms of authenticity...

Skate 1... with its incredible nostalgia... is the most fun in terms of just skateboarding (from what I've read, I haven't really played it much). Skate 3... with its major add ons.... is the best in terms of videos and projects. I've seen some of the best fakeskating productions come from Skate 3. Picking the best game overall is impossible to me. Like Cacty said, "each game was the best, in its time." There are aspects of each game that are better than the other game.

Roccityroller
01-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Skate 1 was good, but skate 2 is the best imo and here's the reason why.

It brought video making, filming, and production to the masses. Making vids and having fun is the reason why most of us still play the game, 3 years later. If you couldn't film, record what you've done, and share it with the community, there wouldn't be a community. Skate 2 made filming, uploading, downloading, and sharing EASY. remember getting ur clips in s1? there was no "download" button. You had to use mozilla and go through the page source code to find the link and then download it through there. Skate 2 made this simple and we saw a huuuuuge influx in the amount of people making videos, this led to the increase of information through the community. people figured out how to do certain things, what made for a good edit etc.

look at what was considered "good" in terms of video editing in s1 (read: SSS Attack), then in S2 (Read: Catface Full), and now in s3 (Read: Megamyth). I hardly filmed anything in S1, cuz it was too hard to get the clips off and it just wasn't worth my time. does that mean i had less fun with the game? no. Do i have more fun in s2 and s3 being able to actually set my cams up the way i want, ramp my tricks i want, and adjust most visual settings? Of course. But with out the advances in filming that we got through S2, i think A LOT of use would be long gone.

NotedDerk
01-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Going to have to go with skate 3 as well, I just agree with everything that has already been stated about it so no need to repeat it.

but I will say this, skate 3 has one of the greatest map makers to ever exist in a video game, in my opinion. Not only does downloading and uploading parks take only literally seconds, but being able to merge and place any piece in any dimension is an amazing attribute. If that didn't exist in CAP, basically only turn objects 90 degrees, then cap would have been dead to me.

The only map editor that even compares to skate 3 that I've experienced is farcry's and I couldn't even enjoy that because the servers were so sketchy that it made it nearly impossible to just have one good match go on.

Hitmanx123
01-23-2011, 12:06 PM
my fav is skate o.g and skate 2, but mostly o.g because of the better times editin videos. i dont have any vidzzz for 3 because i just couldnt get any motivation to edit. personally i think it stopped because all the other teams that most people started in 1 and 2 quit but you have to stop sometime right?ill prob end up putting s3 on the shelf before summer or sumthing and become a queers and whores 3 (gears of war) manic......

BladderBoy
01-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Nostalgia is the only thing S1 and S2 have to offer me at this point. Yes PC has its problems, but the overall playability of S3 make it the best in the series. HC mode, an advanced free cam that actually works, and CAP will keep me coming back to this game until a new fakeboarding franchise is born.

Antwan
01-23-2011, 02:59 PM
A huge city..
CAP..
7 Map DLCs (something like that)
A Reluctantly active community and more video production than ever..
Skate is going out with a bang for sure..
I think it's the kids way of saying we want a Skate 4.. why else would you remain in a community of a game you dislike?

I'm honestly kind've burnt out on skate 3 but I've been playing non stop for 4 months maybe.. every night..
Still producing videos here and there.. hell yeah skate 3 is good just sucks it might be ending.. really gotta dig deep this time to finish videos..
skate 2, 1? Good when they first came out sure.. hell yeah I miss certain spots from time to time but lets be honest it gets old it's why people navigate from game to game.
I'll be needing a Skate 4 to continue doing this Create a park feels to set up fake to me.. every park has perfect rails etc. no challenges within it got old quick.

Skatehead
01-23-2011, 10:41 PM
all of them...
each one brought its own fun to the plate....

nolan1053
01-23-2011, 10:59 PM
People have tried to turn this game into competition. It was about having fun and showing how big of a gap you could do. Now it's about the camera angle, the watermark, what you skate, how you skate. It's annoying.

I'll be needing a Skate 4 to continue doing this Create a park feels to set up fake to me.. every park has perfect rails etc. no challenges within it got old quick.

This is a good example of what I'm talking about. CAP wasn't about who had the best park. It was about making fun spots for people to skate. Especially when everything in the city gets destroyed, which will probably be soon.

Corpsey
01-24-2011, 12:19 AM
If everything in the city gets destroyed, I'll still skate it. It's about having fun, right? Even still, I'm getting kind of burnt-out on skateboarding games in general. I wish there were more "extreme sports" games, like Activision had with Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer, and Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX. Let's try a little variety here.

Roccityroller
01-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Roccityroller's Pro Rollerblader

gimme any city
intuitive controls
AFC
semi-realistic physics (ala skate)

I'll never play another video game again.

pawnluvguitarist
01-24-2011, 04:30 AM
People have tried to turn this game into competition. It was about having fun and showing how big of a gap you could do. Now it's about the camera angle, the watermark, what you skate, how you skate. It's annoying.

This is a good example of what I'm talking about. CAP wasn't about who had the best park. It was about making fun spots for people to skate. Especially when everything in the city gets destroyed, which will probably be soon.

It doesnt have to be like that, The only competition for me is beating my last part. Trying to as happy wiith everything i do. Other peoples footage is for inspiration not competition.

Cookiesupporter
01-24-2011, 04:57 AM
I agree with Roc. S2 was my favourite too. The free cam and espacially the map! I totally loved it. Downhill fun, Curbplazas, Creative spots on mass, Pools. Perfect.

@ Nolan: Sorry bud, but I just gotta say that, even though it's normally not my way...from what I know and read from and about you, your a little bitch.
"People have tried to turn this game into competition. It was about having fun and showing how big of a gap you could do. Now it's about the camera angle, the watermark, what you skate, how you skate. It's annoying."
First of all, if it annoys you, stop playing or makeing vids, nobody forces you!
Second, it still is all about fun. It is fun for me, and I think for the whole community, to improve every cam and to make shit look good.
Third, you can skate the way you want. Fluck the people telling you this n that, if you allow people to bug you out because of a VIDEO GAME you kinda lost perspective.
I don't want to start no stupid e-battle now, I'm just asking you to quit bitchin

thesignguy
01-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Even though I don't feel that way, there isn't one thing I can find wrong with flix comments.

I have to agree with cookie and Pawn (og pawn) I have never let other peoples ideas clutter what I want to accomplish. In fact I was just thinking the other day I wished 54/phsyconaut still had there own unique style. Now that type of filming/skating is to common. I love seeing unique style/skating, trust me nothing will distract from there videos, and it ain't there fault they are so rad. But it was always so cool seeing there videos. So fresh in every way. Unrealistic (to a point) flashy jazzy this way that cams. Now you either get that or the super realistic style tricks with a lot of long lenses. With that said it bodes well for me because I have a bigger window to be different. But yes fun is what it's about.

Ps I'm not saying everyone falls into this category, re reading it comes off that way. There are plenty of unique styles specially the members here at fluckit.

adda89ldn
01-24-2011, 05:28 AM
i still play it, i'll keep on playing it til something tops it, which doesn't look likely judging by skate games that came out after it.

the community is still fairly strong, and soon enough the whiney kids will weed out.

sure i'd love a new city, but it'll just take creativity to make this one last, and the dudes making parks are definitely strengening this game.

skate.create's definitely been the best addition to the game, i think a lot of the reason why i play is so i can use my gc's and film something

adda89ldn
01-24-2011, 05:36 AM
oh and seshing the city online.

always just sesh with whoever's online, somehow having a bunch of guys to play the game with makes me play better?

like games of grind s.k.a.t.e. against cerebus. Or seshing everyones latest parks

heshfield
01-24-2011, 06:07 AM
...the lat two years ive spent way more time editing cameras and angles, than actually trying tricks and playing.

s2 and even more s3 keeps letting me down with ugly glithcy animations and sloppy gameplay.

'flix hit the nail on the head. Theres a lot to be dissapointed with when playing s3, but my love for skateboarding keeps me playing it.
My wish is that a skate game is made that has the best things from all 3 installments and takes us back to the discovery, experimentation, and enjoyment that we all had when playing OG skate.

scharkey
01-24-2011, 07:50 AM
I had the most fun playing skate 1. Like Nolan said it's almost a bummer playing with the mindset of trying to get the camera angles perfect, that the trick looks right, and if it's already been done or not. In the original skate, I just skated and didn't worry about any of that stuff. There were so many spots and so many different ways to hit them, while in S3 you have to rely on the CAP because the city offers only so much.

If I had to pick a game to keep forever it would be S3 just because of the CAP, filmer pack, and maybe hardcore mode..

briden
01-24-2011, 08:24 AM
One of my favorite things about 1 and 2 were trying to make things look realistic. Low pop, slow spins, not clearing everything by 10 feet. It all took some effort and it felt good when you landed something that looked sick. Hardcore more took that all away, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but I rarely ever play skate2 because of it.

Skate 1 still has that awesome nostalgia factor to it. I can skate a curb in skate1 for hours and still have fun.

IMO the object dropper took a lot of the fun out of objects, dragging has become obsolete except for the bench glitch. I remember I would drag the picnic table at Slappy's up to the top of a bank and do tricks over it for hours on end. Now you can just drag and drop, and it's probably the feature I use the least.

CAP is amazing, but PC really does have some good spots if you can look at everything in a certain way. The city's far from dead; I'm still finding new spots (or new ways to skate old spots) to this day.

If you aren't into filming and editing, I can easily see how this game could lose appeal.

Antwan
01-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I film and edit probably to much I never really cared for the perfect cam though I was expressing myself from day one
OG had no camera movement and yet I still managed to use bad angles.. I liked the quick spin it was fun to mess with.

Skate 2 even more possibilities the cameras started to develop but that annoying popping sound of the board no matter what you did haha

Skate 3 takes the dice.. as I get more into it knowing things I could do in previous skates are still possible but need a more fine tuned approach..
Hardcore opened a lot of doors.. I'm loving it.. It was something new and I'm surprised certain people don't dig the new engine every time it's changed a little bit
and we're all street and half pipe skaters?! Where's the adaption? I've been asking that for a long time.. same goes with obscurities as far as I'm concerned "over-sized" ledges are stepups and the carverton dam is some badass scenery.

Wiltzuh
01-24-2011, 12:25 PM
CAP is amazing, but PC really does have some good spots if you can look at everything in a certain way. The city's far from dead; I'm still finding new spots (or new ways to skate old spots) to this day.

If you aren't into filming and editing, I can easily see how this game could lose appeal.

Yeap man you're so right ! Everytime when i'm seshing PC i took some place and start wandering over there. There's always spot that i have never skat3d or filmed ! Now i'm working with my second solo and just found 2 new spots for it. And if u use your imagine there will be found always new lines to skate. And CAP...

xI blisk Ix
01-24-2011, 02:14 PM
this is kinda random but does anyone hate how we always get drawn into the memorial center? i could start as far away as possible but by some voodoo I always end up there

MarcoPoloUSN
01-25-2011, 06:18 AM
After a year of Skate 3... I didn't expect the kids table to be turned into complete shit. Now it seems like you have to manually search for good threads... instead of just seeing them. And the trolls with no mods.... its like letting prisoners run free.

punkinate
01-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Of all 3 games, skate 3 is the one I've had the most fun with. Of course, I wasn't even aware of the community until 3 dropped so that may have had something to do with it. Also, Adda, sorry for ignoring your sesh requests, just takin' a skate break for DCUO.

LanceForLife
01-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Lets keep it simple
S1 terrain to skater size very good ratio
S2 terrain to skater size kinda small terrain
S3 Terrain to skater size huge terrain due to introduction of "easy mode"

I try to skate spots that don't look horribly over sized it just seems to make the filming better.

Cacty
01-25-2011, 04:50 PM
this is kinda random but does anyone hate how we always get drawn into the memorial center? i could start as far away as possible but by some voodoo I always end up there

agreed, i guess its cause we all love the series soo much,but we cant help it, thats why were on fluckit in the first place

Antwan
01-25-2011, 07:11 PM
I know what I want to hit when I want it now so I just use the location teleport
but Blisk your game is telling you something.. something's there.. for sure.