PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Flex

monkeysunkle74
02-11-2011, 08:53 PM
I came back from NAB last year seeing this camera's footage and was blown away. One of the projects I am currently working on is using footage from one of them and I was blown away.
My client emailed me this afternoon with this video showing its true power................WOW.
Thought people here would dig it.

http://www.vimeo.com/19819283

Roccityroller
02-11-2011, 09:02 PM
i don't even wanna know what that thing goes for. Would be sick to shoot some skating with. lmao. 2500fps, most peoples brains won't be able to comprehend that.

60 fps @ 1080p = ~2% speed without frame loss. Good lord.

jest118
02-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Retails from around 50k to 150k. That's some serious equipment right there. I doubt you'll see anyone rocking one of these in a skate video except maybe Spike Jonze.

Roccityroller
02-12-2011, 01:45 AM
slow motion fucking lightning... wtf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X_7YRVGvtA

Monk
02-12-2011, 09:18 PM
that was awesome! BUT I THOUGHT THE red SERIES was the thing to have since the Hobbit is all being shot with a RED. like what is the difference between the 2? fps?or to reds have the ability to be shot entirely in 3D ?

monkeysunkle74
02-12-2011, 10:46 PM
that was awesome! BUT I THOUGHT THE red SERIES was the thing to have since the Hobbit is all being shot with a RED. like what is the difference between the 2? fps?or to reds have the ability to be shot entirely in 3D ?

The reason why the Hobbit is being shot with RED is because it is cheaper than the Phantom. Phantom and RED are competing companies, both making high end 2K and 4K cameras. RED is amazing, terrible workflow, but amazing. Phantom is the same, superior quality but a little easier to work with. You are basically just comparing a Bentley and a Rolls.......both amazing high end luxury toys, each with their own fan base. I would take the Phantom, as I would take the Rolls. I have seen the two in action and although both are amazing the Phantom just has more raw power and functionality, which comes at a much higher price.

The base Phantom goes for 50k where as the RED base goes for 25k. This is just the base.......no attachments. You can easily tack on 50k to the Phantom and another 25k to the RED to get it the way you want.

Either way both sick cameras, just depends on your preference.

side note: Peter Jackson made a deal with RED also. They supplied him with 30 RED Ones for shooting the Hobbit. That too is the reason why, if you goto the RED website. Both Fincher and Jackson are on the home page. Social Network used RED and the Hobbit is using the new RED Epic. Its all about deals in Hollywood and I guess RED made the best one.

bohemian
02-13-2011, 12:08 AM
jackass 3d used phantom for the megaslomos i thk. looks slowley.