PDA

View Full Version : Pawn RL 2009/2010 Throwaway

pawnluvguitarist
03-05-2011, 09:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHM4RuuUD90

Probably my last footage on a standard skateboard...
My new board, the first one, i cut down the nose to match the third one:
http://images.sub-studio.com/images/2009/0709cre.jpg

briden
03-05-2011, 09:36 AM
It all makes sense now

pawnluvguitarist
03-05-2011, 09:41 AM
and in case anyone hasn't seen my other video parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdvvxfWFAjQ&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jmAVsIi5Y&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfisEusnarU&feature=channel_video_title (ender part)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoEqUIgo1To&feature=channel_video_title

Antwan
03-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Man I forgot how much fun it was to watch your real stuff..
Just because it reminds me of how I skate..
I'm not really freestyle but creative with my own variations
everything else seemingly bores me..
I was also over main stream!
When I bombed a highway bank and well.. yes..
sirens loud shit.. coma.. doctors telling you why you're in the hospital?
Well needless to say I'm an idiot, Hey don't skate when you get out ok you need to heal..
and I did tried to ollie some fucking chain only to open a wound and go back in for staph infection.
Simple shit is full of win, my friend.

thesignguy
03-05-2011, 12:05 PM
That one thing on the 2 pallets was where it's at, if we could lift up our nose go up something slightly higher and lift our tail over it ingame would be a dream

I'd love to see you get into mini ramp skating. You put so much into style I bet it would translate well.

Sweet board, what's the dimensions?

pawnluvguitarist
03-05-2011, 01:44 PM
after the nose cutting the length is 29''
width at back bolts 7"
width in the center 8"
width at front bolts 7.5"

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm76/pawnluvguitarist/photo2.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm76/pawnluvguitarist/photo.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm76/pawnluvguitarist/photo3.jpg

(BEFORE CUTTING/SANDING)
http://satanicbookreadings.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/cre0006-creature-gravette-brue-killer-deck-8.png

nolan1053
03-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Picture of the bottom preez? =3

thesignguy
03-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Not one scuff mark
Remember, griptape side down when you sleep with it

pawnluvguitarist
03-05-2011, 02:22 PM
ok, got the pic of the bottom for you Nolan, its with the others.

SG, yeah its still super clean, skated it for like 30 mins the night i got it but its been raining ever since...

nolan1053
03-05-2011, 02:26 PM
You did a really good job sanding down the nose. But I'd recommend a tail block so you don't razor tail the fuck out of it.

pawnluvguitarist
03-05-2011, 02:29 PM
thanks man, really proud of that nose, took like 2 inches off, used a pencil and a piece of string to make the circular shape, was very fun. The board was only $79 and the tail is huge, if it gets too sharp i'll just do to it what i did the nose until i need to buy another, never going back to standard boards, im hooked...

nolan1053
03-05-2011, 02:34 PM
thanks man, really proud of that nose, took like 2 inches off, used a pencil and a piece of string to make the circular shape, was very fun. The board was only $79 and the tail is huge, if it gets too sharp i'll just do to it what i did the nose until i need to buy another, never going back to standard boards, im hooked...

I'm with you on this, I have 4 on my wall that I used to skate. They're so much fun. Especially the smaller ones because you can still do tricks with them.

MarcoPoloUSN
03-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Again,

your real life style and your style on the game........... exactly the same. Interesting.
You kind of remind me of mullen.

pawnluvguitarist
03-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Again,

your real life style and your style on the game........... exactly the same. Interesting.
You kind of remind me of mullen.

I do get that a lot, he is what really got me into skating and has always been my biggest influence. After reading his book too i can really relate to his mindset on skating and life in general.

Antwan
03-06-2011, 06:07 AM
That one foot 360 revert is sick.. I may have to teach myself.
What's the book called?

pawnluvguitarist
03-06-2011, 06:12 AM
That one foot 360 revert is sick.. I may have to teach myself.
What's the book called?

the trick to the 1 foot 360 reverts is front foot placement. Gotta find that spot around the front bolts and get the right weight so that the board can pivot around, but not so much that you start to manual.

the book: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mutt/Rodney-Mullen/e/9780060556198

Antwan
03-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Nice.. sounds simple enough.. Do you have any variations of it; like shuv out?
Don't remember seeing any by you..
could be interesting.. that's immediately what came to mind for me.
I'll go to the local barnes see if they have it..
Never read a book about skateboarding.. a few magazines.

pawnluvguitarist
03-06-2011, 06:30 AM
yeah i've done body varial, shuv and pivot variations lately, even a pretty much 540 version, even though really its a 360 with a pivot at the end.

its my fav book of all time, couldn't recommend it more

Antwan
03-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Sounds tech..
hope to see more sometime.

MarcoPoloUSN
03-06-2011, 08:13 AM
So, you can do standard tricks? You just think its more fun to create your own tricks?

I bet your really good at standard skating.... crooks, board slides, kickflips, tre flips, etc. Id like to see you mix them up. Ya look pro haha.

pawnluvguitarist
03-06-2011, 09:10 AM
So, you can do standard tricks? You just think its more fun to create your own tricks?

I bet your really good at standard skating.... crooks, board slides, kickflips, tre flips, etc. Id like to see you mix them up. Ya look pro haha.

I had some standard tricks when i was younger, some sets, rails, even then not a lot of fliptricks, but enough to get by. Then I rolled my ankle and couldn't skate for a while, just kinda focused on my flatground/freestyle skating because it hurt to pop anything and never really went back. I was never good at street anyway and i always had a love for freestyle.

As far as stadard tricks that i have now, not many, fakie bigspin/540 bigspin couple shuv variations including one foots. But other than that i really just focus on my own tricks and other old school tricks. I've gone months without ollieing or doing a fliptrick and really dont care Im happy with my own bag of tricks.

punkinate
03-06-2011, 01:05 PM
I feel ya on that pawn. I'm just gettin' back from my sprained ankle and shit's tough. Mashed potato to axle was one of the dopest things I've seen I a while, good shit!

a red bicycle
03-06-2011, 06:52 PM
I do get that a lot, he is what really got me into skating and has always been my biggest influence. After reading his book too i can really relate to his mindset on skating and life in general.
just curious, what mindset is that?
my mindset in skating (and i hate to sound like an angsty little teenage faggot) is "die trying." This one phrase has got me to try and actually land stuff that i would normally just blow off. I can thank Tommy Sandoval for it.

thesignguy
03-06-2011, 07:10 PM
You sound like a angsty little teenage faggot

You said it
It was on the tip of my tongue, thanks

a red bicycle
03-06-2011, 07:16 PM
yea no problem dawg

pawnluvguitarist
03-07-2011, 02:47 AM
just curious, what mindset is that?
my mindset in skating (and i hate to sound like an angsty little teenage faggot) is "die trying." This one phrase has got me to try and actually land stuff that i would normally just blow off. I can thank Tommy Sandoval for it.

You should really read the book, but i dunno, quotes like this:

"Do what you love and try not to look at what other people occupy themselves with. Most people seem restless and bounce around too much to focus or even pay attention enough to themselves to figure out exactly what they really do love, as opposed to what the people that surround them are doing."

a couple inspirational interviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_6MJJMvwO0&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cgJ0glrzw0&feature=related

thesignguy
03-07-2011, 05:42 AM
Bicycle, I was kinda kidding, but I think any label on skateboarding is improper
I don't skate like Pawn, but it is def skateboarding
I have a friend that slaloms and downhills, he's a skateboarder too

pawnluvguitarist
03-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Bicycle, I was kinda kidding, but I think any label on skateboarding is improper

Skateboarding is skateboarding, if you ride a board you are a skateboarder and its skateboarding.

I find it sad that some people can have such a narrow view on skateboarding as a whole. Like all it is what is popular now or what the big pros are doing. Theres a lot more to skateboarding than just fliptricks, grinds, sets or whatever.

nolan1053
03-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Skateboarding is skateboarding, if you ride a board you are a skateboarder and its skateboarding.

I find it sad that some people can have such a narrow view on skateboarding as a whole. Like all it is what is popular now or what the big pros are doing. Theres a lot more to skateboarding than just fliptricks, grinds, sets or whatever.

I have to disagree with that on a small scale. I know kids who just buy really colorful skateboards just to look cool but they know nothing about skateboarding. I don't think you can really call those kids skaters.

Antwan
03-07-2011, 10:52 AM
You know what you know..
you learn as you go.

briden
03-07-2011, 10:53 AM
^^^I agree with this somewhat, but I think pawn's point was more that freestylers, or dudes who just dont do normal tricks are still skaters. People like the kids who always show up at the skatepark with a brand new setup, but never skate, just sit on the ledge the whole time... they aren't skaters.

Also, longboarding is not skateboarding.

Antwan
03-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids.

pawnluvguitarist
03-07-2011, 11:16 AM
^^^I agree with this somewhat, but I think pawn's point was more that freestylers, or dudes who just dont do normal tricks are still skaters. People like the kids who always show up at the skatepark with a brand new setup, but never skate, just sit on the ledge the whole time... they aren't skaters.

Also, longboarding is not skateboarding.

How can you defend freestyle then say longboarding is not skateboarding? For shame...

briden
03-07-2011, 11:43 AM
If you're talking about OG Daniel Gesmer freestyle, then I won't defend that. That's dancing on wheels, might as well be ice skating.

But back to your question, it's really simple: I've never met a freestyler that I couldn't relate to, and I've never met a longboarder who wasn't a kook.

pawnluvguitarist
03-07-2011, 03:28 PM
If you're talking about OG Daniel Gesmer freestyle, then I won't defend that. That's dancing on wheels, might as well be ice skating.

But back to your question, it's really simple: I've never met a freestyler that I couldn't relate to, and I've never met a longboarder who wasn't a kook.

So dancing on a skateboard isn't skateboarding?
what about carving a bank?
high jump?
slolem?

So only what is most popular now is what real skating is?

a red bicycle
03-07-2011, 04:52 PM
yeah, i figured you were kidding a little but i also sensed a little something else in there.
my two cents(and this applies to the whole convo):

yeah we're all skaters, but we have different prefrences. We all eat different types of food but we don't call everyone a pizza guy or a chicken man. We say everyone eats. Sure, that guy may prefer pizza, but that doesn't mean we should call him that. Sure, that man may like chicken, but that doesn't mean we should call him that. We simply say that he eats food.
I eat food. Im a skateboarder. I prefer pizza. I like to skate street... but im still a skateboarder.
He eats food. He's a skateboarder. He prefers chicken. He likes to longboard....but he's still a skateboarder.
All skaters. But different types... All the same, yet just a little different. Can't we all just get along and enjoy this miracluous feast we call skateboarding? Is that so much to ask? I like to think not. so how about you

thank you for your time.

/horrible metaphor (OR SHOULD I SAY MEATAPHORE L0OLOLOLOL) that most deffinitly contradicts itself.. you get the goddamn point.

thesignguy
03-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Have never met a long boarder that didnt skate
Most skaters i know are kooks
It would be dificult to count someone out cause i dont "relate" to them
Wether i relate or like how someone skates, if they stand on a board with 4 wheels and roll 1 inch they are skating. Thats my opinion, doesnt mean i like it
I cant relate to 20 kids coming to a huge skatepark with everything imaginable to skate and standing in line to ollie off the equivelant to a fucking loading dock, and thats the majority, but those stupid kids are def skateboarders and i dont have the right to think any different

pawnluvguitarist
03-07-2011, 05:10 PM
I cant relate to 20 kids coming to a huge skatepark with everything imaginable to skate and standing in line to ollie off the equivelant to a fucking loading dock,

Its funny cuz its true haha, So often its everyone in line to skate something and im stuggling not to get in the way cuz im coming in from some other direction skating something in a way no one else is...

actually got to skate a bit today, everythings drying up, cant wait to start filming again. Got a footplant 1640 manual spin today and a switch 1 foot 720 manual spin, man i love fake tricks ;)

briden
03-07-2011, 09:00 PM
So dancing on a skateboard isn't skateboarding?
what about carving a bank?
high jump?
slolem?

So only what is most popular now is what real skating is?

Man you love taking shit out of context; have you heard Gesmer talk about skating, or even seen his skate parts? Or rather, "choreography" as he calls it. HE looks at it as a dance, not me. His mindset is that of a dancer, not a skateboarder. So no he isn't skateboarding; he is dancing with a skateboard. I could go on about other stuff he says and his views, but it basically comes down to this: if you walk down the street with your board in your hand, then you're walking, not skating.

And I already stood up for freestyle, which is arguably the least popular form of skating right now, so your last point makes literally no sense.

MarcoPoloUSN
03-07-2011, 10:07 PM
I don't skateboard in real life. I tried... but its not in my genes, and I don't have the patience to learn. However, I'm still a really big fan of it. I watch real life parts like every day.

All forms of skateboarding are entertaining to me... freestyle is very exciting (but can get boring to watch without a grind or two)... standard street skating is beautiful to watch... vert skating has a good, smooth feeling when I'm watching it.

pawnluvguitarist
03-08-2011, 04:46 AM
Man you love taking shit out of context; have you heard Gesmer talk about skating, or even seen his skate parts? Or rather, "choreography" as he calls it. HE looks at it as a dance, not me. His mindset is that of a dancer, not a skateboarder. So no he isn't skateboarding; he is dancing with a skateboard. I could go on about other stuff he says and his views, but it basically comes down to this: if you walk down the street with your board in your hand, then you're walking, not skating.

And I already stood up for freestyle, which is arguably the least popular form of skating right now, so your last point makes literally no sense.

how does it make no sense? You said longboarding wasn't skateboarding you said dancing on a skateboard wasn't skateboarding, just wanted to see where you'd draw the line.

But yeah i've seen his stuff, like this one :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO11aqHVIQE

You do realize choreographed dance routines were huge in freestyle in the 70's just one of the poplular phases in skateboarding, it wasn't until guys like Mullen who started really pushing trick wise that the dance routines faded from the mainstream. Then mullens form of freestyle faded out and shaped how street skating is today. How is one trend, or one step in skateboarding's evolution less "skateboarding" than another?

thesignguy
03-08-2011, 05:33 AM
Im not 100% sure Mullen formed street skating, but i dont think thats totally what you meant. I think it was more of a natural progression. Tony Alva and Jay Adams going over the coping in a pool might be more to credit for stretching peoples bounderies in skating. Mostly because there was no video and mullen wasnt in to many mags at the time. I think he probably deserves credit for doing a ton of tricks first even if they were done again by a lot of people before they saw him do it. But most if not all 80's/early 90's pioneers in skateboarding hold Mullen in a very high light.

I have never run into Satori before, but what i heard about him seems true, welcome to fluckit.

pawnluvguitarist
03-08-2011, 05:40 AM
oh yeah, totally didnt mean street skating was all Mullen, he was just a big step, just like Dogtown boys before him

thesignguy
03-08-2011, 06:26 AM
I remember long time ago, someone coming here from skate this i think, complaining you were being a dick. Demz said you tell it like it is and dont give a shit or something, and people get offended. I said sounds like my kind of guy
2 years ago i bet

Skatehead
03-08-2011, 07:30 AM
i guess im not a real skateboarder cuz i dont go tricks all the time.....i just carve the bowl at 25 mph.

punkinate
03-08-2011, 08:15 AM
i just carve the bowl at 25 mph.

Now that's skateboarding haha.

Mr. Anonymous
03-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Man you always have nice mannys and smooth stalls and bonks.
Nice edit.

briden
03-08-2011, 11:51 AM
how does it make no sense? You said longboarding wasn't skateboarding you said dancing on a skateboard wasn't skateboarding, just wanted to see where you'd draw the line.

I'm not even drawing the line myself, though. I'm just going with what he's saying: he has the mindset of a dancer. And honestly I'm not even trying to hate on him, but I see how it comes off that way. He's doing his own thing, and I have no problem with that, but he doesn't consider what he's doing to be skateboarding, so neither do I.

But it does bother me a little bit how you can tell from him talking that he's bitter about where freestyle skateboarding was going, all that "gliding and turning" talk. Basically talking shit about everything Mullen (and similar freestylers) did before Rocco's influence and the Plan B era. I don't even necessarily disgree with it, but he knew he wasn't going to last in the skate world and IMO he was just trying to save face.

And as far as longboarding goes, I can just turn the question right back (not directly at you, Pawn. Just in general): Where do you draw the line? Isn't the whole point of longboarding to get from point A to point B? Would you consider riding a Razor scooter to be skateboarding? Or driving a car? edit: What about ripsticks?

pawnluvguitarist
03-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I get your points, i think we are in more of a general agreement the more we clarify our arguments.

But to answer your question i really wouldn't draw a line, its more of a spectrum that branches off into different areas. At one point you'd have the beginner kid doing caveman stuff and throwing his board around and at the other end you'd have all the best pros in street, freestyle, vert ect. I just find it hard to think of someone doing anything with a skateboard and it not being called skateboarding.

briden
03-08-2011, 12:50 PM
I get your points, i think we are in more of a general agreement the more we clarify our arguments.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything, but I think we both interpreted each other's meanings differently.

I just find it hard to think of someone doing anything ON a skateboard and it not being called skateboarding.
I'll agree with this.

I think my point is more: Just because you're doing something on a skateboard, that doesn't necessarily make you a skateboarder.

And to adjust what I said earlier, longboarders aren't skateboarders because longboards aren't skateboards. The same way that ripsticks aren't skateboards, and neither are these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CV0V3JV4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Longboarding is kind of like skateboarding, but with training wheels.

pawnluvguitarist
03-08-2011, 01:04 PM
But the very first skateboarding was just riding around on boards that more resembled longboards than standard modern skateboards. Just riding banks or carving bowls, no tricks just literally street surfing. By your definitions of what skateboarding is you could argue that skateboardings pioneers weren't actually skateboarding, and that's just not right...

thesignguy
03-08-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't really care if a longboarder is considered a skateboarder or not, I really don't. This convo has gone way to far already imo
But a rip stick and that thing you put up aren't skateboards, that pic is close, but a razor scooter? come on. A longboard is just a longer version of a skateboard. If a longboard is not a skateboard in your view where the hell is the size cutoff? there is pretty much every size available so you would need to draw the line somewhere, its ridiculous. I'm curious, do you just not want to be called something IE a "skater" if a kooky longboarder is called one too?

A bicyclist is someone that rides on a bike no?

briden
03-08-2011, 01:26 PM
The early skateboards are/were still called skateboards, although as far as I know, the first ones were 2x4s with roller skates attached, not longboards. Todays skateboards are also called skateboards, but longboards are called longboards. The name itself has 100% more to do with surfing than skateboarding.

Ex: Freestyle decks, even though they have a slightly different shape and are used for a different type of skateboarding, are still called skateboards.

Skateboarding and longboarding have their own board shapes (both in overall size and wheelbase), standard wheel size/hardness, completely different truck geometry, and even pads are different.

edit:

A longboard is just a longer version of a skateboard. If a longboard is not a skateboard in your view where the hell is the size cutoff?

It's not about the size, size has changed since the beginning and is still changing. Your average board today is 8+ inches, but less than 10 years ago that was considered a big board and really hard to find in shops.

Antwan
03-08-2011, 01:41 PM
In certain circumstances sure, longboarding is point a to point b..
But there's more to it; just like modern skateboarding.. some carve roads at high speeds, some skate like they were using a modern one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilg3NMwLOlw
Just a random video.. The size of the board doesn't matter man.
I keep finding more.. and I'm enjoying it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB6tIraYEaI

briden
03-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Sure, you can do tricks on a longboard, or on a techdeck, or on a broken tree branch if its shaped right. Again, the shape doesn't have anything to do with the intent. If there's a nail sticking out of a piece of wood and I knock it in with my skateboard, does that suddenly make it a hammer? No, it's still a skateboard that's being used as something else. I'm hammering with a skateboard. But this is getting a little too philosophical for my tastes, nobody can win an argument like this.

I think this video sums it up better than my words can. This is the gonz skateboarding on a longboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6OYt-7bk0I

thesignguy
03-08-2011, 03:18 PM
i never seen that video of Gonz skateboarding in that vert contest

Antwan
03-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Hahaha..
This discussion is bogus.
If longboards aren't skateboards then neither are "normal" sized boards because we didn't have them back when.
It's like saying someone on a modern sized board carving a bowl isn't skating..
it's about adapting to your environment and technically, riding a board is doing so..
someone that has never been on one before; it's doubtable they could carve or just ride straight.