PDA

View Full Version : Skate 3 - .reel File Information (Xbox 360 Local Network Transfer)?

replicant
04-05-2011, 03:47 AM
I'm curious if anyone has messed with their X360 for information extraction from the HDD via maybe a closed network or simple usb transfer. I know that you can extract inidividual file information from the X360 via the USB port as I have seen it used to fix glitched quests in Borderlands for example (Save file to Flash Drive, Open in Xplorer, Edit in 3rd Party Software, Save to Flash, Re-Import to X360). So, this has me thinking that we might be able to simply interface with the X360 and pull the raw replay saves and image saves (possibly even CAP, but that might be a nasty variable if you consider file insertion) from the HDD and then work with them on your PC basically in the same way we do after pulling them off skate.reel for example.

If I had a development kit this would be so much easier, but a cap card is cheaper than that. :p
I had this idea because it could be a more cost efficient alternative to the cap card. I'm going to have to read up more on how a PC can interface with the X360 so this might have potential, but also do it in a way that won't bork our saves or cause us to the banned from Xbox Live. Banning is not very likely since you are not directly manipulating the file for competitive gain which is MS's rule. Very interested in peoples ideas on this or experiences.

Would love for X360 to have youtube upload like PS3 has (if it still works).

***Just remembered that my friend has a transfer cable for when we upgraded his 120gb HDD to 250gb HDD that I can snag from him sometime this week.
If that cable doesn't work, then I an sure Hong Kong has some cables that will.
Maybe it along with Xplorer360 or something similar might be possible. Will have to check this out.

Antwan
04-05-2011, 05:16 AM
20 bucks to try via gamestop..
http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/800353b.jpg
http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xb360-hard-drive-data-transfer-cable/78160

It's for transferring to the slim xbox but it does have a usb side
Might work.. but when you plug it into the slim it wipes your hdd clean.. hopefully not if you were to try to connect it to the computer..
obviously you'd need one of the old bulk hard drives to try this.. even then not sure it would work.

replicant
04-05-2011, 07:33 AM
20 bucks to try via gamestop..
http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/800353b.jpg
http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xb360-hard-drive-data-transfer-cable/78160

It's for transferring to the slim xbox but it does have a usb side
Might work.. but when you plug it into the slim it wipes your hdd clean.. hopefully not if you were to try to connect it to the computer..
obviously you'd need one of the old bulk hard drives to try this.. even then not sure it would work.Yeah, my friend has one of those that I am gonna snag to try and start some testing with soon. Been checking out some of the xbox mod scene sites this morning for software that can allow me to explore the MS HDD file structure without having to flash or mod my machine. The key then will be finding the sequence related to Skate 3 since the file directory tends to be numerically valued rather than alphabetical. One of the issues with the MS transfer cable is that the drivers/software for it are specifically setup for transferring an HDD image to a clean HDD. Good looking out though.

Razorlike Blue
04-05-2011, 07:30 PM
All 360 HDDs use SATA, so you can connect the HDD directly to your motherboard like any other HDD and use Xplorer or any other utilities available. Just make sure your motherboard has the SATA connectors before dismantling the casing of the old Xbox drive.

replicant
04-06-2011, 04:49 AM
Yeah, I knew you could pull them apart and using xplorer be able to access them. However, that is not really a good idea for the casual users. Most people don't want to leave an exposed HDD lying about or have to unassemble their HDD each time they want to pull a vid off of it for example. What I'm trying to do is find a way for us to basically do the same thing with as little hassle as possible. I should have a USB->X360 Transfer cable by the end of the week to start messing around with. I'm doing lots of lurking on xbox-scene.com currently to see what I can wrangle from there. Haven't used the site since the OG Xbox which I have modded out the ass with dashboards, emulators, and many unsavory programs.

Razorlike Blue
04-06-2011, 07:41 AM
The only problem is that the clips probably haven't been rendered & converted to a video format in-game. While its worth a try, it more than likely just raw data.

replicant
04-06-2011, 10:36 PM
The only problem is that the clips probably haven't been rendered & converted to a video format in-game. While its worth a try, it more than likely just raw data.Definitely, that is one of the things I am most curious about. I'm very interested to see what the native format is versus our uploaded format and if there is a way to convert from our raw saves. Right now it's a science experiment of sorts. If I can narrow down the files I might can code or jury rig a simple piece of ware to bring it over to our pc's.