PDA

View Full Version : Animated the "Full Length"

MarcoPoloUSN
04-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Posting for a friend...

I know some of you fluckers don't like simple tricks...but I really enjoyed this edit.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHcX0gINrkk&feature=channel_video_title

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku9G2oSXslE&feature=channel_video_title

replicant
04-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Alrighty, I got a chance to sit down and give it a full watch.
The first 2m I absolutely hate. The manic presentation between half done tricks and low rez cartoons irritated me tremendously.
After that the meat of the video was pretty good. I know a lot don't like one hitters, but I appreciate clean tricks and there were plenty.
The skating was good, the music wasn't bad, the flow was good enough, but I didn't enjoy the mix of toons and skating since they had conflicting qualities.
Overall: A for Effort - B for Execution

xRiverKing
04-19-2011, 11:14 PM
All the guys have incredible style. Awesome watch, and I wouldn't say these are simple tricks, takes some skill to make everything look like it should look.

EDIT: Post the rest when its done!

MarcoPoloUSN
04-20-2011, 05:44 AM
All the guys have incredible style. Awesome watch, and I wouldn't say these are simple tricks, takes some skill to make everything look like it should look.

EDIT: Post the rest when its done!

Yes. To do a low pop nosegrind... popless nollie kickflip out... is hard. To make a trick as realistic and low as possible is hard. The only thing is that sometimes it looks boring and simple in videos. :/ I personally love watching it if its not too slow.

Alrighty, I got a chance to sit down and give it a full watch.
The first 2m I absolutely hate. The manic presentation between half done tricks and low rez cartoons irritated me tremendously.
After that the meat of the video was pretty good. I know a lot don't like one hitters, but I appreciate clean tricks and there were plenty.
The skating was good, the music wasn't bad, the flow was good enough, but I didn't enjoy the mix of toons and skating since they had conflicting qualities.
Overall: A for Effort - B for Execution

I didn't mind the cartoons, but after seeing those dislikes, I figured someone was annoyed with it. I have to say it was a little repetitive, but it flowed well to me.

thebullet
04-20-2011, 06:01 AM
soooo goood. Love the edit too. Can't wait for part 2

replicant
04-20-2011, 06:50 AM
I didn't mind the cartoons, but after seeing those dislikes, I figured someone was annoyed with it. I have to say it was a little repetitive, but it flowed well to me.Hey, in the end it's up to what makes you tick. I didn't click like or dislike when I viewed it. My input was placed here in the thread, but you have roughly 75% likes with it. The difference between the skate resolutions and the video segment resolutions was what stuck out most to me. It wasn't that X cartoon character didn't fit with X skater that got me the most once the skating started. The initial 2m made me stop watching and save it to finish later. That's how much I disliked that part. The actual skating I can only give props for and trying new stuff and being creative in the editing room you should be proud of and keep working on. You can't please everyone.

Duce NLS
04-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Yeah to be honest I couldn't handle the intro/clip switching to the cartoons due to the quality difference but if you skip that all out there's some beautiful skating in here, props to everyone involved, I would go into more but at work.

Peace

saunders420
04-20-2011, 08:44 AM
First teaser video really caught my attention. I was really looking forward to the video.
Now that Ive watched it(or part1 of it)Definitely held its own. Great Edit and Skating...LOL at the lost boys

Flea
04-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Yeah i really enjoyed that man

sure the cartoons and cutting may have been a bit repetetive but you can tell you had fun editing it, and it just made it a very different type of video

the UG kickflip nose grind nollie flip out at 4:38 was AMAzing (would have loved to see that first angle all the way to the end rather than fade... but still.. loved that)

and the kickflip over hydrant at 1:14 ...! that whole section was real nicely edited

MarcoPoloUSN
04-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Ed's ender was so buttery. I had to play that back a couple of times...

It was one of the most realistic looking nosegrinds Ive ever seen

jest118
04-21-2011, 03:11 PM
First, let me get my little mini-rant out of the way. I dislike the notion that's been spread in the community that low pop = more realistic looking. For every Marc Johnson there's a Cairo Foster. So the height of pop on tricks has no relevance with "realism" whatsoever.

That being said, I completely understand that it's a style choice and I'm fine with that. Personally, I feel like there's times and spots where High Pop looks better and other times and spots where Low Pop looks better and of course, with either style the filming is what really brings the look to fruition.

/end rant.

As far as the vid goes.. I can see how the Resolution disparity can be a little jarring. Specifically in the fast clips section of the intro. Maybe having filmed the clips in a Standard Res might've made it felt a little more fluid..? Either way it doesn't actually bother me. Definitely a cool concept though. I'd ask if the clips used in the parts are supposed to reference each skaters personality? Cuz that would be pretty cool. Of course I'd have to know them to really "get" it though. Skating was on point. Filming was dope. I'm definitely interested in seeing the rest of the vid.

Clayfighter
04-21-2011, 04:26 PM
im just gonna come and state that im not really a fan of this type of skating. ive always felt it seemed a bit forced and never really captured the feel of real skating but rather looked like your trying to look like skating. its in a sense the skate form of the "uncanny valley". with that being sadi i did enjoy some tricks like eds ender and the edit to his part with the hunchback footage but as i stated before im just not a fan of the skating, its possibly the filming as it seems too still. i always feel im waiting on the trick and never feel fully into the video.

jerr bear
04-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Can't wait to see my part :P

itsNJ
04-21-2011, 05:06 PM
your part of the lost boys too? and marco low pop doesnt = realistic lol

MarcoPoloUSN
04-21-2011, 08:06 PM
It is a forced thing for some...

theres a trick range... a speed range... I do what I want believe it or not.

I personally enjoy videos from all styles.

itsNJ
04-21-2011, 10:19 PM
its not of matter of doing what you want, thats not what im talking about, im referring to your comment about making a trick as low as it can be to be realistic, perfect locks yea they're important but believe it or not people can actually pop they're tricks in real life instead of just rolling nollie flips on the ground

jerr bear
04-22-2011, 03:14 AM
I always had the feeling that those who actually skate, have skated or watch skate videos know how to make a realistic vid look.. natural.

What does suck though, is how when people decided to pop everything low and roll really slow, they tend to be seen as try-hards, while this isn't always the case.

In principal I'd say unrealistic 'skaters' are rather the ones forcing a certain style, since it seems difficulty stands central, or even is a must in that scene. I'm not saying this is a negative thing.

replicant
04-22-2011, 03:58 AM
Jason Lee doing a perfect 360 Flip in bedroom slippers is all the realism you ever need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su9DobVys8c

EdOvaEasy
04-22-2011, 04:04 AM
ok =] thanks

jerr bear
04-22-2011, 04:05 AM
WOuld be more impressive if he just did a nollie imo :p

MarcoPoloUSN
04-22-2011, 04:43 AM
its not of matter of doing what you want, thats not what im talking about, im referring to your comment about making a trick as low as it can be to be realistic, perfect locks yea they're important but believe it or not people can actually pop they're tricks in real life instead of just rolling nollie flips on the ground

never responded to you... was referring to clays comment about it being forced.

ahh wheres part 2?

adda89ldn
04-22-2011, 05:01 AM
where's part 2 at?

MarcoPoloUSN
04-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Posting for a friend...

Its funny how someone told Ed that Im taking credit for this video.....

MarcoPoloUSN
04-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Part 2 is here!

I repeat...

This is Ed's video... I'm posting for a friend... Show em love

Skatevid2
04-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I really enjoyed it. I'm not a fan of this type of skating, but I found that you guys in a lot of cases managed to do some really creative tricks at some really creative spots. I thought the editing was great, and I liked the cartoons. I felt like they set a scene as they told a story, while portraying an emotionally background that really matched the music well, as well as the overall personality of the part and the skating.
I think i liked the intro part the best.

As for my opinion on the whole "realistic" versus "unrealistic"

What "realistic skaters" call realistic..isn't.
In real skate videos, the camera isn't always perfectly still. The skater rarely, If Ever..lands with this smoothness. The filmer DOES go down stairs quite often in real videos, and NEVER are you going to find a good video, with good filming, in which the filmer zooms so damn far in that all you can make out is the ground, some grip tape and a pair of shoes. (There was a blunt tre fakie in here that simply upset me)

For all realistic skaters..I urge you to go watch a legitimate professional video before you film or skate, because whats being called realistic...is Not. It is just a forced style to eliminate any faults in height or animation, which naturally should both be included.

BannerBoy360
04-23-2011, 12:47 PM
This is such an amazingly good video... i loved the animations and i thought that they really added something unique that hadnt been seen before. editing was great, filming was great, and everyones part was super solid.
Without a doubt,one of best s3 full lengths i have ever seen.

jerr bear
04-23-2011, 01:07 PM
I agree Skatevid2,

I've understood the mindset of realistic peeps is rather "Realistic skating and smooth filming" (implying the filming isn't always 100% realistic), but I do see more and more feet-shots in actual videos.

like these two shots @ 0:43 perfect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-fXbS7c_0Q&t=43

Skatevid2
04-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Oh wow, good find. I have never been able to find a feet shot like that.
But they did use two views for a reason. The feet shot doesn't show the magnitude of the trick itself.

Clayfighter
04-24-2011, 05:58 AM
i think what skatevid is getting at is that with alot of recent edits there hasnt been alot of showcasing of a trick. i notice that ive been seeing more and more changing of camera angles with out letting us see the full trick in whole, it takes away greatly from the video as shifts focus from the main attraction. and as for my forced comment earlier my main concern with these videos is that its obvious who some of these guys are trying to look like. like i can see the actual skater they want their clips to be like rather than their own style

Flea
04-24-2011, 06:21 AM
with alot of recent edits there hasnt been alot of showcasing of a trick. i notice that ive been seeing more and more changing of camera angles with out letting us see the full trick in whole, it takes away greatly from the video as shifts focus from the main attraction.

I wholeheartedly agree with that.

It's nice to have another angle of a trick sometimes, but rarely does cutting mid trick work...

Although the art is in the editing, the art of editing is to let the skating shine.

jerr bear
04-24-2011, 07:20 AM
True man

The one time I used a cut mid trick was when my mates camera glitched haha. One shot was messed.

God I wanna get back to filming :'(

Spacepoet
04-24-2011, 02:08 PM
First, let me get my little mini-rant out of the way. I dislike the notion that's been spread in the community that low pop = more realistic looking. For every Marc Johnson there's a Cairo Foster. So the height of pop on tricks has no relevance with "realism" whatsoever.

That being said, I completely understand that it's a style choice and I'm fine with that. Personally, I feel like there's times and spots where High Pop looks better and other times and spots where Low Pop looks better and of course, with either style the filming is what really brings the look to fruition.

/end rant.

As far as the vid goes.. I can see how the Resolution disparity can be a little jarring. Specifically in the fast clips section of the intro. Maybe having filmed the clips in a Standard Res might've made it felt a little more fluid..? Either way it doesn't actually bother me. Definitely a cool concept though. I'd ask if the clips used in the parts are supposed to reference each skaters personality? Cuz that would be pretty cool. Of course I'd have to know them to really "get" it though. Skating was on point. Filming was dope. I'm definitely interested in seeing the rest of the vid.

HALLEUJAH!! Totally agree that low pop does not always equal realism. In some situations the low pop just looks gross. Some people get so caught up in "realism" that the fake video's they make could be recreated by real shop sponsored amateurs.
As for this video I liked most tricks and the filming was great. Really well framed shots. But the edit...really? Clips of Disney cartoons? And it's not like the clips made sense in the context of the skating. Kickflip back tail and then a clip of the hunchback of notre dame. What do those things have to do with eachother?
But I really do like the skating.

EternalRewind
04-24-2011, 04:27 PM
nice video.... All skaters in the vid, keep doing whatever you want..Its you game/vid part, do whatever you want.

Permy
04-24-2011, 04:59 PM
You faggots need to stop making these fucking realisticz shits
i forgot how to film retarded because i spent all my time fresh princing it

assholes

this video was really good though
editing and sich

i am a snail
04-25-2011, 05:25 AM
lowpopping tre's is one thing.

rolling a nollie flip on the ground is another.

sometimes lowpop looks better. (low-mid height tre's look boss as always)

sometimes it looks plain retarded (aformentioned rolling of nollie flips, looks fucking dumb.)

that said, i thought this vid was awesome and it's good to see ed and everyone being awesome, boss edit, etc.

lol@urboyez's part having 2 flip tricks. awesome shit.

jest118
04-25-2011, 11:49 AM
2nd half was cool. I was really digging Tinky's part.