PDA

View Full Version : rec me a good capture card guys

i am a snail
05-07-2011, 05:00 PM
i just got 260 dollars for my birthday. whats a good mac-compatible capture card i could use? (16:9 obviously, I got some roxio thing and then returned it to find that it doesn't record in 16:9 and the playback screen is so goddamn tiny i need to squint to see anything)

XILENTZ
05-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Hauppauge HD PVR.

pawnluvguitarist
05-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Hauppauge HD PVR.

this ^

you will need eyetv software for it to work on your Mac. Im pretty sure it was around $250 or so for the PVR and the software.

Stevland
05-07-2011, 06:06 PM
yup, hauppauge is the way to go. no idea about the eyetv software, i use hdpvrcapture (http://www.hdpvrcapture.com/cms/?q=node/1). the demo is limited to record 2 minutes max, which is perfect for skate.

emericaridr11
05-07-2011, 07:16 PM
if your willing to spend your whole loot.... then pvr's are real clean looking (costing 200 bucks new)

SeksulChokolate
05-07-2011, 08:31 PM
yeah I'm on a mac and I run with the hd pvr and eyetv software
google both and your hd capture problems will be solved.

Stevland
05-08-2011, 07:32 AM
the guys over at tested.com gave it a quicklook (http://www.tested.com/quick-look-at-the-hauppauge-hd-personal-video-recorder/47-355/)

they wanna test more capcards, so far the only other one they tested is the roxio game capture (http://www.tested.com/quick-look-at-the-roxio-game-capture/47-364/) which doesn't look promising.

i am a snail
05-08-2011, 07:15 PM
so hd pvr and then the demo version of the mac encoder should work for me?

Roccityroller
05-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Total Media (the soft. that comes with the PVR) doesn't work on Mac?

That sucks. Love the PVR, you will too. Easy to setup/use. Great quality.

Stevland
05-09-2011, 05:10 AM

yup. i found HDPVR capture on the official Hauppauge site, so it's kinda official. install, plug in, go, easy as that. like i said, no idea about the eye TV thing, but I assume it's just as easy.
My most favourite thing about the HDPVR is, that i can set it up once, use my Xbox as usual, and when i wanna cap, i just plug the USB in and hit record. Very convenient.

Stevland
05-09-2011, 05:11 AM

yup. i found HDPVR capture on the official Hauppauge site, so it's kinda official. install, plug in, go, easy as that. like i said, no idea about the eye TV thing, but I assume it's just as easy.
My most favourite thing about the HDPVR is, that i can set it up once, use my Xbox as usual, and when i wanna cap, i just plug the USB in and hit record. Very convenient.

i am a snail
05-09-2011, 05:25 PM
does the demo version have some kind of time constraint on it? like a month of usage or something?

Stevland
05-10-2011, 05:45 AM
does the demo version have some kind of time constraint on it? like a month of usage or something?

the only constraint is the 2 minute capture limit. which is more than enough to cap skatereel stuff. if you wanna cap more, i'm sure you'll find a serial or something for it. or you use the eye TV thing. but yeah, 2 minutes is more than enough usual. and there's no watermarks or anything.

i am a snail
05-11-2011, 01:54 PM
alright, thanks stev!