PDA

View Full Version : Black Box is closing down.

Mac
12-21-2008, 04:25 AM
It's now official: Black box is closing down. EA's chosen to cut off BB due to financial problems. About 1000 employees has to say goodbye to their position.
But it's said that this doesn't necessarily have to effect the release of Skate 2. Now we just wait...

skater924
12-21-2008, 05:02 AM
so I'm guessing no third sequel.....

Mac
12-21-2008, 07:48 AM
I guess not. And that's when I thought the sick real experience would start.

Seb1108
12-21-2008, 07:56 AM
without blackbox there wont be a skate 3 even if there is im doubting it will be as good as the second

Darkslide
12-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Well atleast skate 2 is finished. Saddening that there will most likely not be a third installment in the greatest skating games ever!

SonicKaos
12-21-2008, 11:06 AM
BlackBox is NOT closing down. They are relocating to the Burnaby office, which is EA's HQ in Canada. They'll likely see some staff cuts, but I don't think BB is going to lose too many people on the Skate team at least. Half of BB is the Need for Speed stuff, who were already rumered to be shutting down.

Skate 3 is still possible, but only if Skate 2 does well.

Mac
12-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Oh really? Thank god.
But right now, I'm not gonna think about Skate 3, I just wanna play the fuck outta Skate 2 first.

skater924
12-22-2008, 06:46 AM
I heard about dlc for skate 2. guess that's not gonna happen. oh well...at least its still getting released. 1 month people!

Darkslide
12-22-2008, 10:04 AM
BlackBox is NOT closing down. They are relocating to the Burnaby office, which is EA's HQ in Canada. They'll likely see some staff cuts, but I don't think BB is going to lose too many people on the Skate team at least. Half of BB is the Need for Speed stuff, who were already rumered to be shutting down.

Yeah I had a buddy explain this to me. Thanks for clearing that up lol.

chaterbox
12-30-2008, 02:15 PM
It's now official: Black box is closing down. EA's chosen to cut off BB due to financial problems. About 1000 employees has to say goodbye to their position.
But it's said that this doesn't necessarily have to effect the release of Skate 2. Now we just wait...

No it's becoming ea canada.

Nelson
12-30-2008, 05:59 PM
I heard about dlc for skate 2. guess that's not gonna happen. oh well...at least its still getting released. 1 month people!

Didn't think about that...

Interesting, i guess we wait and see how things shape up.

Seb1108
12-30-2008, 11:28 PM

whats dlc? haha im slow like turtles running through peanut butter

Hitmanx123
12-30-2008, 11:34 PM
whats dlc? haha im slow like turtles running through peanut butter

i've seen turtles run through peanut butter.....damn they can run!:D

Mac
12-31-2008, 02:05 AM
What DLC would that be? New boards? New gear? Doesn't reeeeally matter to me.

Nelson
12-31-2008, 07:34 AM
What DLC would that be? New boards? New gear? Doesn't reeeeally matter to me.

Parks?

Thats something that would be really nice.

Darkslide
12-31-2008, 11:56 PM
If they offer DLC clothing....I will def not buy it. I hate EA doing things like that. I want skate parks or playable characters. Paying for virtual clothing is just ridiculous.

MeanGoon69
01-01-2009, 12:20 PM
maybe some of the cool guys from EA Canada can transfer to Ea Redwood city Ca, thats right up the street from my job at sony!!!

:)

Mac
01-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Hopefully, whatever DLC it could be, it's not priced. That would totally suck.

Get Stoked
01-01-2009, 02:28 PM
I think they should update with game with new clothing products and shit, then allow us to pay for parks, obstacles, challenges, etc...

Mac
01-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Then it would have to be great content. And actually, come to think of it, clothing and gear would be awesome DLC. I've found myself chaning shoes 100 times, literally, throughout the game. I really do fancy skate shoes.

Corrine
01-05-2009, 02:31 AM
I'd like to see the Community Centre from Skate. make an appearance, either as a paid download or free for a limited time if you have a Skate. save on your hd

Mac
01-05-2009, 05:00 AM
At first I was gonna say that it might appear in the game, but since Mongocorp took over, it might just be annihilated. But yeah, I could see myself using the new tricks on those spots.

EAT BRICK KID
01-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I almost crapped my pants opening this thread.
I love BB :p

StrabMawr
01-10-2009, 01:41 PM
from the EA forums...

"A few months back a friend of mine who works for a reputable skatepark company in Canada mentioned to me that they were doing some work with BB. The deal was BB was programming some playable versions of parks they were working on for a big client, as well as another for their own company, and apparently would eventually offer something similar as DLC for S2.

If you are wondering what park company, an associate producer of Skate used to work for them. "

That would be Jay Balmer and Newline...would be good tho

jest118
01-11-2009, 06:56 AM
from the EA forums...

"A few months back a friend of mine who works for a reputable skatepark company in Canada mentioned to me that they were doing some work with BB. The deal was BB was programming some playable versions of parks they were working on for a big client, as well as another for their own company, and apparently would eventually offer something similar as DLC for S2.

If you are wondering what park company, an associate producer of Skate used to work for them. "

That would be Jay Balmer and Newline...would be good tho

Playable Slam City Jam park ftw!!

joshd413
01-26-2009, 07:27 PM

good, because so far i think skate 2 is doing pretty good and its getting good reviews and i think a skate 3 is possible just because of popular demand and how successful it has been so far.

highonpop
02-02-2009, 09:42 AM
i thought they were just moving them to the EA canada location and downsizing?

do you have a link to where you heard they wre closing totally?

edit:

here you go. black box is NOT closing. they are moving to ea canada's offices, and KEEPING the black box name. the 1,000 employees is not just blackb ox...its 1,000 worldwide

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6202573.html