PDA

View Full Version : I need to ask this

andreas
07-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Whats the deal with most edits I see cutting off skaters limbs and the bobbing in and out of the camera?
I assume that's the feel you're trying to get but IMO it looks silly. Can anybody explain :confused:

briden
07-16-2011, 07:05 PM
As hard as it may be to believe, there's a big chunk of the community that likes that kind of filming (I'm assuming you're into realistic skating/filming?). I don't get it either, but it's out there and it isn't going anywhere. I agree with you, and all I can suggest is that you check out a wider variety of skaters and see which ones are worth your time. There's tons of different styles, and in time you'll find some guys you really like watching.

andreas
07-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Glad to see other people are noticing this too. BTW, I'm not bashing anybody or complaining, I'm just puzzled as to why anyone likes this.

briden
07-16-2011, 07:23 PM
It holds non-skaters' interest better than fakeskate videos that actually look like a IRL skate videos.

Braddock420
07-16-2011, 07:24 PM
It depends on what I'm filming, but sometimes that style works.... sometimes. Also, it all depends on the type of film I'm working on. If I'm splicing together clips for a montage and the song is A Tribe Called Quest's "Can I Kick It?" (Coming soon to a youtube near you :) )then a bit of the bobbin' and weavin' cam on certain parts works. However, IMHO, if that is all that's going on in a 5 minute montage.... no lie, I'll get motion sick. Again, it's all about preference and style. Briden was totally on the money with his comment. Check out as many different videos and films as you can to see the entire Pantheon of Skate Filmers.
You'll always find some sick, buttery footy and then you'll find some sickly butt footy.

Antwan
07-17-2011, 12:46 AM
You won't always agree with someone else's opinion.
I have never had beef with a bit of shake..
half of my videos used to have it in fact
but when views and comments went down
I figured I'd try to clean it up..
I've even made a video with nothing but high shake and 10mm for fun
If you're getting motion sick with some camera sway you might steer clear of gaming in general..
I still find it silly to this day that people get sick over cameras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BuHRWMhkkM

itsNJ
07-17-2011, 11:29 AM
it tough to make crazy filming/skating look good, thats why demz and skellibonez are sick

NotedDerk
07-17-2011, 11:36 AM
I can't stand the head/board getting chopped out of clips unless it's long lens, but that's just my opinion.

emericaridr11
07-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I still find it silly to this day that people get sick over cameras.

to me its more about the fact that your trying to focus on something in the vid.... and you cant cause shit is flying by and whatnot....

its really hard to focus on what is supposed to be focused on, some people pull it off though

but as for head and board cuts, in real life videos they dont always have the whole skater in the frame, so I dont see a huge problem with that.....

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKNUTsVZ4NQ

jerr bear
07-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Some can make it work, some can't.

itsNJ
07-17-2011, 02:53 PM
for instance.. these guys kill it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWnKnqU-0w

i am a snail
07-17-2011, 03:20 PM
i used to do that shit but ive kinda stopped because i was starting to get sick of it. its still a fun way to play the game, though.

knexzor
07-17-2011, 03:26 PM
influences from others
trying to make stuff look aesthetically pleasing
not giving a fuck

there are plenty of reasons, really... it all comes down to what the adv free cam has evolved into since we got it in s2.

thesignguy
07-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Man dude you said it
It's amazing what people have done with the afc
It's kind of fun setting to 13ish and trying to keep shit in frame close as fuck

Some dudes play the game as a artistic expression, what's not to get?

jerr bear
07-17-2011, 04:46 PM
It's kind of fun setting to 13ish and trying to keep shit in frame close as fuck

All my tripod fishes <3