PDA

View Full Version : Skate 2 Reviewed (Game Informer)

Piss Peddler
01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
If your trying to avoid any reviews or anything that might change your opinion of skate 2 close this thread now.

Alright, GI gave it a nine.
Concept: Skate's realistic gameplay remains mostly the same, but is heightened dramatically by the world and accompanying challenge designs.

Graphics: New San Vanelona is more colorful in its second life. The character details are also enhanced with gnarly zombie-like scabs, scrapes, and cuts.

Sound: The soundtrack (especially for the races) is forgettable. The voice acting, while loaded with "dudes" and "yos" is scripted naturally.

Playability: The new move set gives you more to play with, and the fantastic controls haven't changed. The new running and bail moves come in handy.

Entertainment: Online and off, Skate 2 is a study in level and challenge design. Sequels are rarely this true to the original source.

Replayability Value: High

Synopsis: Skate 1 may not have sold amazingly but just look how it forced TH to sit out a year. People enjoyed the realism, but will they enjoy it again? Has the new car smell worn off? Nope, the new tricks make it feel like a brand new game. New San Van is AMAZING. It's the most impressive skate park to ever be in a video game." Free skating and ignoring the missions is again going to happen because its just so fun. The missions are so good this time the reviewer found himself replaying them not outta lack of ability but out of pure joy because they are extremely well put together. Burnout Paradise did online free play challenges better but they're still good in Skate 2. (examples: hit a certain score, hit certain tricks at a certain spot, etc.) Online gameplay is still just as good as singleplayer. There is "A fair share of aggravating moments." Cars run into you, but pedestrians are aware of you and will get out of your way more often but still get in your way. "The biggest killer in this game is the respawn system" "After a huge bail, you could find yourself respawning at the base of a hill, in a wedge, or on the top of an awning..." The walk feature helps ease the pain though. There was no real reason to move objects because of how deep the city already is.

"Skate 2 is one of the most impressive sequels I've played in my tenure as a game critic." "Most developers follow the line of thought of 'more equals better.' In Skate 2 better is achieve by just making it better." It makes old gameplay feel new again.

Second Opinion Supplement:
Free skating is addictive, the freedom of it is amazing. Being to make your own skate park by moving objects is fun and will make you think like a skater. The fact that you can still run into pedestrians is stupid. This game encourages creativity and daredevil attitude. Skate 2 has great online play.

Darkslide
01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I wont be influenced by any reviews. Not with a game like this.

Kind of vague. Did they go into anymore detail?

Piss Peddler
01-12-2009, 06:17 PM
I wont be influenced by any reviews. Not with a game like this.

Kind of vague. Did they go into anymore detail?

I haven't read the full review yet. When i got home I played sum BFBC, ate, opened the mag straight to reviews, typed this, and now i have about 4-5 hours of accounting/writing hw. Then i gotta watch 24, I should have a full synopsis up around 1030pst.

tehwoot
01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
To bad GI takes like 8 years to get to my apt...

Piss Peddler
01-12-2009, 07:39 PM
While reading this review I would like everyone to remember that Game Informer employees an 8 to 10 scale meaning reviews are almost always possitive. Remember they are owned by everyones favorite game store... GameSpot.

EAT BRICK KID
01-12-2009, 09:05 PM
While reading this review I would like everyone to remember that Game Informer employees an 8 to 10 scale meaning reviews are almost always possitive. Remember they are owned by everyones favorite game store... GameSpot.

I just hate Game Informer. thats it.. they seem like real snobs.

Piss Peddler
01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
It's a bummer, with egm gone it seems like print media as far as video games go is dead. I am a subscriber to OXM which I find to be a very good mag but they put most of their stuff up at oxmonline.com (http://www.oxmonline.com) now so other than the disk that comes with it there's almost no reason for me to subscribe. EGM was one of the best mags but once Dan Hsu left the magizine turned to crap.

I hate GI but its really cheap and a decent read for when you're on the toilet. I will never sub to GamePro because I don't like any of the writers. So I'm stuck with GI and OXM, I might look into PS: The Official Mag; the old EiC of OXM runs it.

This is a very long winded rant about print that is probably unnecessary but I just kinda miss the days where a magazine was your only real way to get video game info.

And don't get me started on GameSpot, IGN, or 1UP. :)