Thread: Picking up skateboarding ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    XBL
    TheDietTea

Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Maybe it's just because I never focused on tricks at all and because I've snowboarded, but I felt that level of comfort on my board within the first year. I just kinda get in a flow with it, I sorta ride it like a snowboard in a sense.
    For sure man
    Skateboarding emulates Surfing
    Snowboarding emulates Skateboarding
    While I've never done it I still know it.
    Anything using a board is usually a balance system, I even found this when trying to wake board.
    Which I still want to learn by the way.. thanks for the reminder.

I'm curious though, have you ever tried snowboarding tricks on the skateboard?
    Obviously, different names apply but it would be the same basic feeling right?
    Like nose/tail butters sounds interesting.

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    For sure man
    Skateboarding emulates Surfing
    Snowboarding emulates Skateboarding
    While I've never done it I still know it.
    Anything using a board is usually a balance system, I even found this when trying to wake board.
    Which I still want to learn by the way.. thanks for the reminder.

I'm curious though, have you ever tried snowboarding tricks on the skateboard?
    Obviously, different names apply but it would be the same basic feeling right?
    Like nose/tail butters sounds interesting.
    Eh, the board being strapped to your feet changes a lot. Especially things like ollies. I can pop a decent height on a snowboard, but when you have to use your feet and not your weight to balance it out, it changes a lot. Things like butters won't work on a skateboard because, quite simply, concrete has much more friction than snow. I know I'm capable of grabs, I've done a few early grabs before, but getting the air is the hard part for me on a skateboard.
    Whenever I feel like it I can do boneless stuff, though.

hell, to emulate carving I have to loosen my trucks as much as I can without them coming off

tl;dr, a lot is the same when it comes to riding, but when it comes to tricks not a whole lot is the same. Snowboarding is a lot with balance and weight shifting, where skating has a LOT to do with foot control and placement.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

XBL
    Stokenstein

There's no shame in watching like beginner Tony Hawk's Trick Tip videos, they'll definitely help.

Basic tricks I learned 15 years ago when I started skating were ollie, pop shuvit, fs shuvit, kickflip, sex change (for some reason easier than kickflipping, but can cause bad habits), varial flip, 180s fs and backside. Once you get comfortable on flat ground, try some of these tricks up and down a curb. Start learning 50-50s on like painted curbs and boardslides on small flat bars if you have a local park.

Learn to drop in.

Generally just skate everywhere and get comfortable doing everything on a skateboard.

You want to learn some stuff like foot braking, speed checking, and things like that eventually which will give you more control over your speed and let you ride anywhere.

It takes a while to learn tricks, but then you land them once and you've got them. Just skate every day, have fun, find some friends to skate with.

YES, SKATEBOARDING!

Snowboarding and Surfing are infinitely different, by the way. Learn to skate, don't bother comparing it to other board sports. One of the bigger differences between surfing and snowboard vs. skateboarding is that there are no wheels on snow or water and a lot less friction. You turn with the front of your board on a surf board and you turn with the back of your board on a snowboard, on a skateboard you do not turn with either of those, unless you're kick turning. I started skating about four years before I tried snowboarding or surfing and I sucked at both, despite what I knew on a skateboard.