Thread: The Daily Wray: animated skateboarding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Steam
    wrayayrton

for motion blur it does 5 passes on one frame, so usually 400-500 frames for 1 3 second clip even though it's only 30 fps. for slow motion ones I do no motion blur but quadruple the frame rate.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Those are awesome skaters to take influence from for sure.
    Daewon and Haslam might've done every fliptrick stall variation possible haha.
    If not its on the way!

Surprised me with the hippie flip.
    Man, I'm curious how your game would feel.
    Even if these were all synced up as animations to be triggered by button combinations the way you talked about freedom of the board flipping it sounds like it would be endless fun.

It never even crossed my mind to have a skater animation as a channel intro.
    Dope. Good looking out.
    You should try more stuff like it if it isn't too difficult for Ya.
    I was doing hippie shuv to grinds in ea skate 2.
    This is also a wonderful teaser into what's possible for other animators.

Sucks about being robbed, I've had it happen.
    It can be tough but I'm trying to learn not to be so attached to possessions for that reason.
    What kind of PC setup do you need for all this?
    Is it hardware intensive? Probably, still had to ask.

Steam
    wrayayrton

hah, my pc is my life. any money i dont spend on food or drugs or rent goes right into it. It's a 6-core FX6300, 8gb ram, and a ATI R9 270x. 3ds max likes to overheat it pretty much daily anyways since it's still aircooled.

I'm curious how my game would feel too. I downloaded UE4.8 today (hahahahaha here i was with UE BARELY 3 for mirrors edge). it looks MUCH less complicated like I may someday be able to learn how to make a skateboard controller for it, but I really doubt I could possibly make something even close to the tony hawk level, let alone with more serious close control.

as it is, I'm still considering how I'd be able to best make a game like Kickflick. I'm not even totally sure that side-scrolling isn't the best route for me, but It's really hard to make games with no programmer. In the past I have been only an artist so i'm moving very slowly towards just being like "fuck it" and doing it myself. I'd much prefer to try and keep a dayjob and just hire a freelancer to get me to a good starting point engine-wise, but before I can even do that I have to have a detailed plan as to what the controls are and how the game should work exactly. originally my plan was to go the extreme realism route, but project session seems to be covering that fairly well as is. I also had an idea to go a more SSX route with it, with each level being a line, or series of spots that can become a line, and different characters having very different stats and tricks and specialties, but all of those things are kinda hard to picture when I don't know the first thing about the math and whatnot that goes into making a skateboarding game.

when it comes to FPS and TPS games, engines have built in modules that make that stuff pretty easy, as those are common methods of controlling games, but there is no PC skateboarding game engine, because the whole point of a new skateboarding game is that it has its own unique controls and systems. not knowing how to make these controls and systems leads to a hard time knowing where to go from here. I had considered the kickstarter route but I just don't feel like an animated skateboarding video will net me the necessary XX,XXX dollars it takes to hire a team to make something really awesome and distinguishable from the competition.

I have tried to get the dude that made slendermans shadow with me to do it but he's pretty tough to get to do anything and hes still in uni, but maybe I'll try again

EDIT- just saw the antwuan dixon part. I LOVE HIS STYLE. he reminds me of the tony hawk project 8 animations- very nonchalant and minimal use of his arms. I'll keep him in mind for future anims ESPECIALLY THAT noseslide varial heelflip out at 1:09-1:13
    Last edited by wrayayrton; 07-22-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Yeah the difficulty in making a skateboarding game is bonkers. A lot of factors to consider. I couldn't possibly imagine someone doing it by themselves/ then there is On a Roll. crazy

Glad you liked something from antwuan. that nose varial heel out is boss. His style is heavy as fuck. yet So clean. Dude rips for sure.

Steam
    wrayayrton

The WIDOWMAKER.
    yes this is not brand new, but I have a new one that I made that I may post today. I just wanted to get some opinions on this movement specifically as it's one of my favourites so far

XBL
    emericaridr11

looks dope as fuck, the trick is wild as all hell.... not sure if I like the wild tony hawk tricks
    but SLICK AS SHIT!!

love the feet set up

XBL
    TheDietTea

Glad to see you making things up.
    What the hell was it.. Fakie pressure double back to regular?
    I could see Haslam nailing these haha.
    He does this crazy fakie double laser pressure trick and also a 180 landing regular.
    Wild! Keep branching out.

Quote Originally Posted by wrayayrton View Post
    for motion blur it does 5 passes on one frame, so usually 400-500 frames for 1 3 second clip even though it's only 30 fps. for slow motion ones I do no motion blur but quadruple the frame rate.
    thoroughly explained, thanks man!! Completely understand the amount of time required now o.O Holy smokes pun completely intended. talented AF, looks real sweet man.

been trying to find a line something short, but full of motion. Looking for that balance.

Antwaun Dixon opening line from Baker 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQU10wApsBQ.

That would be crazy to see animated. unreal to be honest.
    Last edited by saunders420; 07-22-2015 at 02:03 PM.