Thread: Mac Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yes You Can!

I'm on a 2011 iMac i7, and it's still doing good - been editing 4K music videos without too much pain. I do music music production too (Cubase/Ableton), and doesn't really take too much of a toll on the system until you preview multitrack projects with effects. Crack yourself a DAW and spit your darts!! People stress getting the right equipment for good sound, but thing is: if you have decent mic, a working sound card and recording software - you're money. Just make sure you find a space with acceptable acoustic surroundings when you do vocals. You can find someone who can mix your stuff to make it sound killer (or teach yourself if you have a good ear). All my friends make music in kind of a big way (for a small country), my main homie is an award winning artist, and we do everything out of his iMac (with similar specs to yours) with "free" (hehe) software.. voicing done behind the couch, with the TV on.. No help, no record contract, no promotion team.. go get it!!

For graphics/video though, getting a SSD/SATA combo was a quantum leap for me, paired with a gig of allocated video memory.. watching glitchy previews really kills your flow. I was working on a subpar PC before investing, and I'd spend 4-5 times as many hours completing video tasks. I have 16GB of ram now, but 8-12 is usually good enough until you start multitasking heavy stuff.
    Last edited by Thick; 01-06-2016 at 01:47 AM.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah update for me, got a laptop where I'm editing video with 8 gigs of ram I managed to scrounge up.

Up to this point I was experimenting with a controller and a brand new studio software in linux but my IMac is looking like it will be my recording and producing platform.
    So far I really dig Ableton, real easy to jump into and start making things happen and all of my hardware so far just works when I plug it in.
    Someone is sending me the Logic Program Suite down the line so I'll be messing around with that too at some point.
    I guess all there is left to do now is to start building up my sound libraries.