Thread: "skateboarding is so gay right now"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"i think your destruction was our savior."

could not
    have been said better....

sad shit...
    i remember that after like 2 years deep of shit i said "wait what happen to rollerblading".....

oh it was doing its own thing under the spot light...
    asshole...

for the record..
    i never hated on any rollerbladers....

i did however hate on long boarders at the park....
    because it doesn't make sense....

im in redneckville so bare with me...

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

I hated on skateboarders, when i was younger... before i got "good"... you know when you start hanging out with all the "good" kids? and you meet the skateboarders that are "good" and you realize that the skateboarders/rollerbladers/bikers that actually have skills aren't hating on each other.

but people are like "oh f--- rollerbladin... they don't even put it in the x games anymore"...but what they don't realize is that rollerbladers made that decision for themselves... we got fed up with what was happening from corporations like that... people stopped showing up to these "contests"... "True street" contests became more popular.. the grassroots movement, pride in what you do. go check out rollerwarehouse.com some time... look at the clothes.. it's all "i rollerblade" this an that..

That's what y'all are really missing...pride for what you do and why you do it. there's still people out there that rip for the sake of ripping, don't get me wrong, but as a whole... it's all about the benjamins...and if you watch dogtown and zboys (i think was the name of the movie)...get back to your roots... it's not about the benjamins at all.. it's about the hunt... the friends... the love.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

i just wanna know who spraypainted "nigz" and "sailor" at the x-games

like what the fuck?

well i agree that skating has lost that spark that made really unique. not that it isnt unique now it's just everytime u see a dude skating they either have nikes on or lakai or w/e fuckin shoe. if u ask them whyt hey got it they may say "cause nikes beast!" or "HAVE U SEEN FULLY HAIRED!?!?!" or something. like they never really explain much and it seems like u only spend ur money on the big shots who are popular at the time. if u wear ipaths then some ppl may think u dont have much skating knowledge, even tho uve been shredding for over 9000 years longer than they have even learned how to push. But honestly i mean it was kinda good and bad at the same time that skating got like the way it did. i mean pros get paid more for their shit and thats good. but its the originality of the skating thats lost its touch because all people think about is nike. hopefully some of these corporations will notice that famous spots are gettin torn down and can try and to do something about it.....be useful
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

Quote Originally Posted by K05T0N View Post

like what the fuck?
    is that suppose to be for show? cause if it is.....*chuckle chuckle chuckle laugh*
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

Skateboarding is what you make of it; not what some jerk on a blog says, or what the idiots on ESPN say it is--Ignore that shit cause it aint real. Also, using a multi-million dollar production movie as an example of "what skateboarding should be about" is a contradiction; sorry.
    I love skateboarding and I always will, because of what it has provided me--no one is paying me any money to slappy the curb by my house. Whatever happens on the 'corporate' side of skateboarding will never change my mind. The true culture of skateboarding lies within the act of skateboarding and not within the mere perception of it.

edit: it looks like that unicycle guy is holding his nuts the entire time;..now thats 'gay'.
    Last edited by heshfield; 08-10-2009 at 04:07 PM.

the reason i used the movie is because, as a rollerblader, that's the nearest i have to understanding the "roots" of skateboarding. I'll admit, i don't see all of skateboarding... i don't expect to understand, just like i don't expect anyone here to understand rollerblading.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

I hate that it's some sort of weird take on what they consider "street" culture now. They're just trying too hard to hire people to duplicate what they could have someone legitimate do for probably half the cost. I almost liked it better when they were completely fucking clueless. Like the first xgames course that looked straight out of the nickolodeon gameshow "Guts". I think they even had the aggro-crag. Neon and purple everywhere.

omg i remember that... they were like purple and green...

edit...yup purple with fun designs...

and no i didn't search for rollerblading, honestly, it's the first thing that came up when i searched 1995 X games street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X5Rh3IURHg
    Last edited by Roccityroller; 08-11-2009 at 09:04 AM.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

XBL
    TheDietTea

Quote Originally Posted by K05T0N View Post

like what the fuck?
    You might want to look at it closely..
    Look's like N1UZ to me..
    not to mention the U that you are saying is a G, is split up..
    not a common style if so.

Skating is what you make it.. enjoy it or stop doing it.

Get Stoked

When it comes down to it, skateboarding is a democracy and it's the skateboarders fault that all of this mess is happening. I completely agree that skateboarding is super fucking gay right now, but, corporations and business are always going to want to make money. These money-dudes are going to come in, make offers, win the person over and have a product to make money off of. That doesn't make skateboarding gay... the people buying those products, watching these contests, and spreading the gayness are the people making it gay.

It's just like anything else corrupt that can't be governed... you have to boycott it to get rid of it. Let's be real though, that's never going to happen. So, I watch the culture I have grown up with crash and burn like everything else. I'm used to it by now.

Really when it comes down to it though, I can still go out and ride my skateboard, alone, where ever possible. That's all that matters to me... I don't conform to what people think skateboarding is or should be, skateboarding is what it is to me. No one will ever take that from me...

We have to remember, people enjoy skateboarding for different reasons and whatever that reason may be, we have no right to take it away. To do so is selfish and a step closer to douche-bag than the senior citizens running the X-games.

As long as I'm able to buy what I need to skate, none of this shit matters to me.
    Agreed that watching skate videos and contests is fun, but nowhere near as fun as the real deal; doing it myself.

And this 'newfound' popularity that skateboarding has spawned the last couple of years will probably fade in a couple of years. If you think about it, it's not the first time skateboarding becomes popular to the public.
    The big corporate brands will most likely ditch skateboarding when it starts to fade again, which I really think it's going to do...

Corporations and contests are not an accurate barometer of skateboarding; though the criticism and complaints are valid, we should remember that the 'culture' lives in the streets not in the boardrooms, so to speak.

...and anyways, there isn't really a singular 'skateboarding culture'--skating has always been characterized by its diversity, different styles etc.; to assume that there is a static skateboarding culture seems to play into the marketing mindset...
    Last edited by bene317; 10-06-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    "Bene's tranny skating is still sick as ever. Bene just loves them trannys."--Nolan

"You call it religion, I call it shit."--Ian MacKaye