Thread: Recent News of the Texas Shootings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Demzilla View Post
    "which willl probably make many ppl tomorrow see islamic or muslim ppl as bad ppl and take a stronger tone of racism"

im confused how you cant....
    really? The actions of one person, who was obviously mentally unstable, or even a group of people can hardly be used to judge an entire religion--let alone an entire race, as not all Arabic peoples are Muslim and not all Muslims are Arabic (think North and Sub-Saharan Africa, Eastern Europeans, people from Southeast Asia, etc)...would you have said the same thing if he was white?

I'm always amazed that people are shocked by these outbursts of violence given the context: a site of pure violence (mechanized violence in this case), a murky never-ending war on an ill-defined enemy, poor psychiatric care and a patient that obviously needed it...
    "Bene's tranny skating is still sick as ever. Bene just loves them trannys."--Nolan

"You call it religion, I call it shit."--Ian MacKaye

also, this guy was an american citizen born in virginia who had actually never left the country before. and as of yet it's not confirmed that he's muslim, but everybody has assumed he is because of his name.

there will be backlash against muslims and middle easterners over this for sure, but for the same reason there was backlash towards asians after the virginia tech shootings, and goth kids in trench coats after columbine. it's a human gut reaction. people are hurt and they want retribution. facts don't matter much when compared to grief.
    gitCHu ONe. [14|Dec 11:33 AM]: fluckit itself is not natural
    ------
    [02:24 PM] saunders420: looks dope
    [02:26 PM] saunders420: nvm looks gay
    ------
    [11:13 AM] Richie x Jackson: horsehead you a juggalo?

in all honesty...

if he was white id still feel the same way...

the thing is..
    i dont look at race...
    i dont care enough to worry about what fuckin color/race/religion your stupidity is coming from..
    im honest....

i was agreeing with anjos comment..

he stated...
    "which willl probably make"
    meaning an influence....
    i said...
    "im confused how you cant..."
    meaning i agree that it would influence others perspective of religions and race..

now im not gonna rebuttal your statement because you misunderstood me...
    but i will say i agree....

oh i wasn't disagreeing with you, i was just trying to add to it, i guess. my phrasing might have been wrong. there will be backlash and i also understand why. it's the wrong backlash, but what kind is right?
    gitCHu ONe. [14|Dec 11:33 AM]: fluckit itself is not natural
    ------
    [02:24 PM] saunders420: looks dope
    [02:26 PM] saunders420: nvm looks gay
    ------
    [11:13 AM] Richie x Jackson: horsehead you a juggalo?

no i was talking to bene..
    you just commented before i could see it....

and i agree...
    your gonna get a backlash no matter what religion/race....

you cant have yougioh without pokemon right?....

It actually has been confirmed that he's Muslim. They've interviewed people who attended Mosque with him in MD.

He also got a poor performance report from the last unit he was attached to before getting to Ft. Hood.

Also.. I think it's an extremely uneducated viewpoint to say that a Military Base is a site of "mechanized violence." Soldiers don't have access to weapons on base except during training and even then it's only at the shooting range that they have live ammunition.

This shooter used handguns that were not Military Issue... as in he purchased them as a Civilian.

Oh.. and he, himself, specialized in psychiatry. I'm sure in advancing to the rank of Major in the field of Psychiatry.. he knew exactly what to do to get himself help. This isn't a case where therapy would've made a difference.

He had never been in combat. He was about to deploy to Afghanistan. He had a history of voicing a STRONG opposition to the War in Iraq and the War in Afghanistan. I don't think this was likely a situation where he suffered from PTSD or any form of a psychotic break.

Oh... and My wife is stationed at Ft. Hood and was very close to the area where the incident started.

Quote Originally Posted by jest118 View Post
    It actually has been confirmed that he's Muslim. They've interviewed people who attended Mosque with him in MD.

He also got a poor performance report from the last unit he was attached to before getting to Ft. Hood.

Also.. I think it's an extremely uneducated viewpoint to say that a Military Base is a site of "mechanized violence." Soldiers don't have access to weapons on base except during training and even then it's only at the shooting range that they have live ammunition.

This shooter used handguns that were not Military Issue... as in he purchased them as a Civilian.

Oh.. and he, himself, specialized in psychiatry. I'm sure in advancing to the rank of Major in the field of Psychiatry.. he knew exactly what to do to get himself help. This isn't a case where therapy would've made a difference.

He had never been in combat. He was about to deploy to Afghanistan. He had a history of voicing a STRONG opposition to the War in Iraq and the War in Afghanistan. I don't think this was likely a situation where he suffered from PTSD or any form of a psychotic break.

Oh... and My wife is stationed at Ft. Hood and was very close to the area where the incident started.
    Was there any doubt that he was a Muslim? I don't see what it matters one way or the other...

That's a pretty bold diagnosis based on pretty scant evidence; I have a BA in psyche and did pre-med (didn't end up going to med)--not that it makes that much of a difference, but I do have some knowledge to share. Suffice it to say, the fact that he was a psychiatrist doesn't mean he can accurately diagnose himself-->medical professionals must rely on other professionals for their care and treatment just like everyone else. Your understanding of psychiatry and psychiatric care is quite simplistic--the subjective nature of the diagnostic process makes accurate self-diagnosis near impossible. And in terms of access to care, the Armed forces in general and the Army in particular have a very well documented problem with providing psychiatric care for active duty soldiers and veterans alike. If you need links from mainstream media and academic sources, I can provide them.
    Furthermore, normal people do not participate in mass shootings--it doesn't matter if they strongly oppose the war or not--not everybody who opposes abortion bombs clinics and/or murders doctors, it takes a certain kind of person to do something like that. Its interesting that you posit his opposition as the cause of his violence, but my guess is that he was a disturbed man way before this particular war--this kind of violence is never spontaneous. However, your reductionist view of the situation is characteristic of the military culture regarding psychiatric patients in general.
    Finally, and after this I am done with this topic, it was my understanding that Ft. Hood was home to one of the largest Cavalry divisions, along with a large armored division; tanks/APCs/etc="mechanized violence"...also, "psychotic break" is not a medical term--what your referring is an experience of primary psychosis which generally fits a pattern of symptoms in a patient; not a sudden spur of the moment "break" with reality or whatever...
    Last edited by bene317; 11-06-2009 at 05:02 PM.
    "Bene's tranny skating is still sick as ever. Bene just loves them trannys."--Nolan

Quote Originally Posted by bene317 View Post
    Was there any doubt that he was a Muslim? I don't see what it matters one way or the other...

That's a pretty bold diagnosis based on pretty scant evidence; I have a BA in psyche and did pre-med (didn't end up going to med)--not that it makes that much of a difference, but I do have some knowledge to share. Suffice it to say, the fact that he was a psychiatrist doesn't mean he can accurately diagnose himself-->medical professionals must rely on other professionals for their care and treatment just like everyone else. Your understanding of psychiatry and psychiatric care is quite simplistic--the subjective nature of the diagnostic process makes accurate self-diagnosis near impossible. And in terms of access to care, the Armed forces in general and the Army in particular have a very well documented problem with providing psychiatric care for active duty soldiers and veterans alike. If you need links from mainstream media and academic sources, I can provide them.
    Furthermore, normal people do not participate in mass shootings--it doesn't matter if they strongly oppose the war or not--not everybody who opposes abortion bombs clinics and/or murders doctors, it takes a certain kind of person to do something like that. Its interesting that you posit his opposition as the cause of his violence, but my guess is that he was a disturbed man way before this particular war--this kind of violence is never spontaneous. However, your reductionist view of the situation is characteristic of the military culture regarding psychiatric patients in general.
    Finally, and after this I am done with this topic, it was my understanding that Ft. Hood was home to one of the largest Cavalry divisions, along with a large armored division; tanks/APCs/etc="mechanized violence"...also, "psychotic break" is not a medical term--what your referring is an experience of primary psychosis which generally fits a pattern of symptoms in a patient; not a sudden spur of the moment "break" with reality or whatever...
    You misunderstood a lot of what I said.

You suggest that a Doctor would have trouble finding another Doctor to treat him, simply because they're Military.

It's well within the nature of man to kill for his own beliefs. The concept of War disagrees with your statement in that regard.

Your info on Ft. Hood is dated to say the least.

I don't feign to know Psychiatry. I do know that a man does not have to have mental problems to do something as extreme as what this man did.

Yeah Anjo.. there's a lot of speculation. I've seen and heard of Men and Women doing a lot of things to get out of deploying or to come home early. Never seen or heard of anything on such a large scale as this though. It's truly a terrible thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jest118 View Post

yeah. ppl are saying dumbass ideas like he did it cuz hes muslim and hed have to fight his ppl if he deployed. really it had nothing to do with any terrorism plot or like you said Jest about ptsd cuz he never deployed yet in the first place. also the alleged blog of martyrdom is equal to suicide bombings mite be false. the accounts name is indeed NidalHassan but it is a common name as told by reprters like how smith or jones is common. this morning i looked at it and came across the comments below which had one from the author, saying it was postedt 9 hours ago then, which would have been 11pm yesterday. that would not have made sense due to the fact he still is right now on a ventilator at a hospital in stable condition. also Jest yea my dad works at the honeywell co building on post and he called after the shooting started asking me to see on the news whats happening so far. we watched the boradcast till they said it was ok to leave and were relieved

Quote Originally Posted by Demzilla View Post
    in all honesty...

if he was white id still feel the same way...

the thing is..
    i dont look at race...
    i dont care enough to worry about what fuckin color/race/religion your stupidity is coming from..
    im honest....

i was agreeing with anjos comment..

he stated...
    "which willl probably make"
    meaning an influence....
    i said...
    "im confused how you cant..."
    meaning i agree that it would influence others perspective of religions and race..

now im not gonna rebuttal your statement because you misunderstood me...
    but i will say i agree....
    I understand--I misunderstood.