Thread: PSN fail?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The major thing to be aware of is the email, phone, and postal contacts asking for personal info. Credit Card fraud, against most citizens wouldn't be that profitable (at least here in the states... most families live paycheck to paycheck). Identity Fraud is much more profitable and much harder to recover from.

Another theory has arisen however.. though it's just a theory..

According to a self-proclaimed PSX-Scene moderator on Reddit, however, credit card numbers are involved but not necessarily in a way that users need to worry about.

Calling himself Chesh420, the moderator wrote that a new custom PS3 firmwave called Rebug was released on March 31. Rebug apparently turns standard PlayStation 3 consoles into semi-developer units, which among other things and with a little bit of effort allows hacked consoles to be put back online. But a few bright folks over at NextGenUpdate also figured out that because consoles with this firmware installed have access to Sony's private developer network, credit card information isn't checked for validity; in other words, they could gain unlimited download access with fake card numbers.

"What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content," he wrote. "Sony, realizing the issue here, shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no one's personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available.

It's purely speculation at this point, although Chesh420 claimed that someone with official access to Sony's developer network stated that the company put out a warning today that only debug firmware versions 3.60 and newer will be allowed on the network from this point on. He also posted a four-part timeline backing up his story.

1.)Rebug was released on 3/31/11.
    2.)First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11.
    3.)Word of "shady" sites finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website).
    4.)PSN goes down on 4/20/11"
    old psn: jest118
    new psn: jesthatesyou

Banned

how do i shot web tho

the problem is not that PSN is down, the problem is that they took a fucking week to tell people that creditcard data may be stolen etc. that's fucking ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevland View Post
    the problem is not that PSN is down, the problem is that they took a fucking week to tell people that creditcard data may be stolen etc. that's fucking ridiculous.
    It's only ridiculous if Sony knew exactly what happened, when it happened... which isn't very likely. They discovered there was an intrusion, shut down the network immediately to cut off access, then hired a third party firm to investigate exactly how and where the network had been compromised. This is a network that hosts MILLIONS of users Worldwide. It takes awhile to search through all that.

Meanwhile.. if they just came out and guessed that CC info was stolen and everyone went through the hassle of cancelling credit cards and order new ones (which fucks with every bill paid online and most physical shopping trips as well) then they discovered that NOTHING happened.. they'd be getting flack on the opposite side.

I think they made the right decision in waiting until they knew for certain what happened. Especially considering that people aren't held responsible for Fraudulent Charges on their Credit or Debit cards.
    old psn: jest118
    new psn: jesthatesyou

that's why i just use ps cards.

Fluckin' Hatchling

Yeah, like I'm saying, I could care less, just curious others thoughts
    "And remember...no matter where you go, there you are."

just saw at ign that a lawsuit has been filed against Sony due to personal info being compromised.kinda dumb cause hackers will always find a way.i don't fault Sony for the breach.