Thread: C.A.P. killed creativity.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think the "hunt" for spots in the previous two games was a factor that kept many people playing and putting out great videos towards the end of each game's run. On the same note, the CAP feature filled that role in Skate 3 for some people. In my personal opinion, I feel more satisfied when I find a nice spot within the real city, but that's just me. One can still try this in Skate 3, but I think many people see the CAP feature as the "easy way" out. There have been many great CAPs, but I feel like they caused many people to give up on Port Carverton. A year after the Og and Skate 2 were out respectively, people were still finding lots of new spots within each game's cities. This was partially because that was ALL we had. The CAP was a nice addition though (it gives me a reason to get on s3 from time to time).
    So I guess I agree and disagree lmao.
    youtube.com/tacoman1337

I don't agree with Jerrel.

With CAP you can take a break from PC. Skate 3 would have died last august without it.

edit: CAP is a part of being creative with this game (in a different way), BUT it killed the spot searching. Truth.
    Last edited by MarcoPoloUSN; 06-16-2011 at 10:47 PM.

It's not that CAP killed it, It's more work to go look for stuff especially with the seperated cities, you don't just skate around aimlessly because you'll be doing one big circle. DLC has some fun random shit though. Like I said if you REALLY want to skate PC you'll do it but we all agree that its a shit city compared to SV And NSV.

Yes it is a shit city. However you can find many ways to skate little parts of it. I can't do that personally. I personally can't skate PC for more than 20 minutes without getting bored. CAP makes me not want to spot search. Maybe in the next 6 months there will be no such thing as spots in PC. CAP covers that.

Blazing a Trail

No......

This is created spots and its creative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9xu36chROE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmMNK515qls

The ender trick I did in my last solo is creative and so is a lot of other peoples CAP spots. I see what your saying jerr bear and yeah PC sucks, but CAP is creative imo
    Last edited by EternalRewind; 06-17-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Blazing a Trail

I agree and thats partly why i dont like CAP
    Skateboarding doesnt seem to be about building your spot imo... its about finding a spot and interesting ways to hit it...everyone can hit a rail or a stairset in this game... its weak to do it imo... people keep on doing it though over and over
    Since the beginning skateboarding has always been about finding and adapting to spots (see how empty pools made bowl riding), finding the trick (+filming) that goes perfectly with the spot ...
    adapting the environment to your fake skating can be considered as laziness
    thats why i loved filming for PTC ... go to "insert location" and film... Constraint makes you be creative and think different
    And i m way more excited by a creative way to hit a spot rather than a never been done trick on a stair set / ledge.
    You can be a "creative" park builder with CAP, it doesnt mean you ll be a creative skater.

as always nothing is black or white... there are multiple shades... and i m still excited when i watch tno cap videos because the dude got the perfect mindset imo...same for manolo.
    I just watched a very good documentary about skateboarding in europe (with some comparison with US skateboarding)... Mainly because of the specific architecture here, european skateboarders are kinda more about adapting to the environment and finding weird ways to hit spots. America is made of skateboarding spots, concrete and shit, and its more about bangers down those spots.
    At the same time, there are exceptions... guys like Pontus alv...he s all about redefining the urban environment / architecture. And see Richie Jackson hes all about the weirdest ways to hit spots...
    Last edited by Slamooh; 06-17-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Blazing a Trail

No one disagrees that apart of skating is finding spots but saying making spots to skate in s3 or real life isnt as creative is like saying f u your skating sucks..And Im sure thats how you fell about it because your saying theres no creativity in it..

Not trying to be a dick but some of you dont even skate in real life... And your tellin me what skateboarding is and whats creative...

Blazing a Trail

But what is creativity ?
    i think everyone got his own definition. And nobody can say "my creativity is better than yours"...
    eternal, i sometimes have trouble to express my feelings as english is not my native language... as a result it can be slightly different from what i really have in mind. What i mean is : i m more sensitive about spots and ways to hit spots rather than tricks. but everyone is free to feel different. theres no judgement.

how many daewon song / rodney mullen in the scene ? Those guys would make lie anyone talking about creativity. They are aliens
    Last edited by Slamooh; 06-17-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamooh View Post
    I agree and thats partly why i dont like CAP
    Skateboarding doesnt seem to be about building your spot imo... its about finding a spot and interesting ways to hit it...everyone can hit a rail or a stairset in this game... its weak to do it imo... people keep on doing it though over and over
    Since the beginning skateboarding has always been about finding and adapting to spots (see how empty pools made bowl riding), finding the trick (+filming) that goes perfectly with the spot ...
    adapting the environment to your fake skating can be considered as laziness
    I don't agree with this, depending on which era of skateboarding you came from. After they found pools what came next? Building the perfect transition to achieve what they wanted. Before h-street there was a entire decade of 100% created vert and mini ramps. I really don't understand anyone's logic to say CAP is "lazy" or "not creative" it's what the person does on any spot, created by them, an architect, a game developer, or some dude that made a CAP that makes something creative plain n simple
    ".........................................."
    Helen Adams Keller

Banned

Feels like CAP was their excuse for a crappy city

this thread reminds me of the one innout made about the object dropper making things less creative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

It deff is Jerr, hahah.
    I skate in real life as well or well I used to before I lost everything I learned CAP gives me the opportunity to build spots I've wanted to skate in real life and in videos and shred them like a god. All in all I agree with alot of your statements but I disagree with the focal point which is that C.A.P killed creativity.

On a different note its refreshing to see people say niggas openly hahaha I felt like people would refuse to say it.
    Last edited by Ohmidineffect; 06-17-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Niggas interfered with my intial post so I had to redirect my post to jerell

XBL
    TheDietTea

What's wrong with the city..
    get real.
    The city became bad when your perspective changed
    get in that mindset.
    I was never really into create a park to begin with..
    it was neat but it's time consuming..
    and then to think of tricks on the thing I spent hours on
    is unreal for someone who likes to put things out often
    well I skate things different too so.. 2 cents.

Banned

I don't even get what you're trying to say.

When did my perspective change? Did my perspective change?

XBL
    TheDietTea

I didn't use your name Jerr?
    "Your" meaning Anyone who sees skate 3 for what it isn't rather than what it is
    is no longer in the OG mindset.. spot finding and enjoying it for what it is.
    Every version of skate has flaws but we're still playing them senseless.
    Skate the city or don't, I guess I'm saying..
    So many discussions leading back to how unrealistic sized things are in the city
    or whatever your excuse is
    it's bullshit..
    Spots for days.
    Get good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    The city became bad when your perspective changed
    I think the city became really bad in comparison to SV and NSV.
    Which is why I asked those questions.
    + I'm the OP.

You do the math.