Thread: C.A.P. killed creativity.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yes it is a shit city. However you can find many ways to skate little parts of it. I can't do that personally. I personally can't skate PC for more than 20 minutes without getting bored. CAP makes me not want to spot search. Maybe in the next 6 months there will be no such thing as spots in PC. CAP covers that.

Blazing a Trail

No......

This is created spots and its creative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9xu36chROE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmMNK515qls

The ender trick I did in my last solo is creative and so is a lot of other peoples CAP spots. I see what your saying jerr bear and yeah PC sucks, but CAP is creative imo
    Last edited by EternalRewind; 06-17-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Blazing a Trail

I agree and thats partly why i dont like CAP
    Skateboarding doesnt seem to be about building your spot imo... its about finding a spot and interesting ways to hit it...everyone can hit a rail or a stairset in this game... its weak to do it imo... people keep on doing it though over and over
    Since the beginning skateboarding has always been about finding and adapting to spots (see how empty pools made bowl riding), finding the trick (+filming) that goes perfectly with the spot ...
    adapting the environment to your fake skating can be considered as laziness
    thats why i loved filming for PTC ... go to "insert location" and film... Constraint makes you be creative and think different
    And i m way more excited by a creative way to hit a spot rather than a never been done trick on a stair set / ledge.
    You can be a "creative" park builder with CAP, it doesnt mean you ll be a creative skater.

as always nothing is black or white... there are multiple shades... and i m still excited when i watch tno cap videos because the dude got the perfect mindset imo...same for manolo.
    I just watched a very good documentary about skateboarding in europe (with some comparison with US skateboarding)... Mainly because of the specific architecture here, european skateboarders are kinda more about adapting to the environment and finding weird ways to hit spots. America is made of skateboarding spots, concrete and shit, and its more about bangers down those spots.
    At the same time, there are exceptions... guys like Pontus alv...he s all about redefining the urban environment / architecture. And see Richie Jackson hes all about the weirdest ways to hit spots...
    Last edited by Slamooh; 06-17-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Blazing a Trail

No one disagrees that apart of skating is finding spots but saying making spots to skate in s3 or real life isnt as creative is like saying f u your skating sucks..And Im sure thats how you fell about it because your saying theres no creativity in it..

Not trying to be a dick but some of you dont even skate in real life... And your tellin me what skateboarding is and whats creative...

video killed the radio star

/thread

Blazing a Trail

But what is creativity ?
    i think everyone got his own definition. And nobody can say "my creativity is better than yours"...
    eternal, i sometimes have trouble to express my feelings as english is not my native language... as a result it can be slightly different from what i really have in mind. What i mean is : i m more sensitive about spots and ways to hit spots rather than tricks. but everyone is free to feel different. theres no judgement.

how many daewon song / rodney mullen in the scene ? Those guys would make lie anyone talking about creativity. They are aliens
    Last edited by Slamooh; 06-17-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Blazing a Trail

Its cool Slamooh.. Its kind of offending saying CAP isnt creative...

And instead of editing your post/ adding to the end after you read my last post, it would be nice if you keep it after my last post

Blazing a Trail

sorry i wanted to change some sentences because it seemed it wasn't well explained and kinda offensive for no reason. my bad
    skateboarding is kinda like art (well i would say it is art) so subjectivity is full on.
    and i don't mean CAP isn't creative. I'm just not "feeling" it... it doesn't mean people building CAP are wasting their time and i'm not saying there's no creativity involved in it. Its just i dont see many CAP that make me go "damn, this is clever, well thought or challenging for skateboarding", many CAP are standard skateparks despite this tool's endless possibilities.
    Last edited by Slamooh; 06-17-2011 at 04:53 AM.

I agree with the french bloke.

I can see why people like CAP, simply because it gives them new things to skate. For me personally it's not that interesting. When I watch a PC video I can relate to the spots and the difficulty/creativity.
    When I watch a CAP video I have no idea about the spots. Yes, that rail may be a bitch to hit, but I don't know that and I'll probably never find out. I still watch the videos and I enjoy the CAPs and the skating, but it's no comparison to a PC video.
    And the horrible framerate of CAPs only adds up to that.

Banned

Slammy basically summed it up for me hah, thanks for that - I find it hard to explain how I feel about this.

About Song and Mullen, I feel that their ability and skill made the 'spots' they created so... amazing.

For instance the picnic table train;

The thing that made the clip so special is that Mullen was able to pull that manny off, not that he was able to align the tables like that. They're so exceptional they can adapt the environment to them and make the clip completely refreshing.

But the thing is, Skate 3 is a video-game. The actual tricks you do barely have value (to me, how difficult they may be), it's the mindset that makes the clip.

Maybe it's just that;

-When you're in CAP-mode, you know you can land tricks down the spots you made.
    -You can adjust anything with ease
    -When you align picnic tables like mullen did IRL, you've only done 10% of the job while in Skate 3 it seems to be 90%.

That's why I find it way more creative to see what an individual can do at locations that are open for everyone.

About what Linny said about the movables in Skate 2, I think it's all a matter of the way you use it. As far as I know they helped me reach certain spots and height to do certain tricks, speaking of which, so did Linny:

Skip to 3:13

In this clip Linny hid a dumpster so he could trick over the hedge, basically deceiving the viewers.
    Last edited by jerr bear; 06-17-2011 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamooh View Post
    I agree and thats partly why i dont like CAP
    Skateboarding doesnt seem to be about building your spot imo... its about finding a spot and interesting ways to hit it...everyone can hit a rail or a stairset in this game... its weak to do it imo... people keep on doing it though over and over
    Since the beginning skateboarding has always been about finding and adapting to spots (see how empty pools made bowl riding), finding the trick (+filming) that goes perfectly with the spot ...
    adapting the environment to your fake skating can be considered as laziness
    I don't agree with this, depending on which era of skateboarding you came from. After they found pools what came next? Building the perfect transition to achieve what they wanted. Before h-street there was a entire decade of 100% created vert and mini ramps. I really don't understand anyone's logic to say CAP is "lazy" or "not creative" it's what the person does on any spot, created by them, an architect, a game developer, or some dude that made a CAP that makes something creative plain n simple
    ".........................................."
    Helen Adams Keller